Erie Insurance Group Logo

Erie Insurance Group

Having problems with Erie Insurance Group?

+1 800 458 0811 (Customer Service)
+1 800 367 3743 (Claims Service)
+1 855 492 3665 (Workers’ Compensation Claims)
+1 800 368 6696 (Fraud Hotline)
+1 309 698 1825 (East Peoria, IL)
+1 260 432 5375 (Fort Wayne, IN)
+1 317 848 3420 (Indianapolis, IN)
+1 859 219 4900 (Lexington, KY)
+1 301 797 5185 (Hagerstown, MD)
+1 301 622 5200 (Silver Spring, MD)
+1 585 214 5800 (Rochester, NY)
+1 704 442 9393 (Charlotte, NC)
+1 919 460 4473 (Raleigh, NC)
+1 330 433 1925 (Canton, OH)
+1 614 436 0224 (Columbus, OH)
+1 610 865 1911 (Allentown-Bethlehem, PA)
+1 717 795 8200 (Harrisburg, PA)
+1 814 262 6399 (Johnstown, PA)
+1 724 325 7700 (Murrysville, PA)
+1 610 891 6400 (Philadelphia, PA)
+1 724 776 4000 (Pittsburgh, PA)
+1 615 371 1773 (Brentwood, TN)
+1 865 909 9888 (Knoxville, TN)
+1 804 662 5400 (Richmond, VA)
+1 540 989 8950 (Roanoke, VA)
+1 540 943 7000 (Waynesboro, VA)
+1 304 485 6900 (Parkersburg, WV)
+1 262 798 1941 (Brookfield, WI)
100 Erie Insurance Pl.
Erie
United States - 16530-1104

Complaints & Reviews

Misled me about hospital bills

I was involved in an accident in April of 2008. The person who hit me was insured by Erie. They had me sign a release authorizing them to get all of my medical records for the accident.

They then sent me a release to sign to settle the accident. There would be two checks, one to settle the hospital lien and one that would cover my ambulance bill and a small settlement. I asked them if all medical records had been accounted for before signing the release. That was a big mistake-I should have had a lawyer involved! Now, two years later, there magically are ER doctor services that I am responsible for. Erie says that they didn't have those bills and it's not their problem. My feeling is that they settled as quickly as possible without doing due diligence to ensure that all medical bills will be covered.

I discussed filing suit with them and was told pretty much that they knew they would get the claim dismissed-when I asked how much their attorney fees would cost-it was within a few hundred dollars of the outstanding bill-I said then why don't we make a deal? The supervisor said it's not the money, it's the principle-they won't do the right thing and pay it or even part of it, because of the "principle" of it. While they say I wasn't under duress when signing the release-I did have a lien against me for thousands of dollars from the hospital-which Erie wouldn't pay until I signed their release. Not under duress? I beg to differ.

I am not asking-nor did I ever ask-for anything beyond what I deserved. My car to be fixed, my medical bills to be paid and a few lousy bucks to cover the day and a half I lost from work. Now they are giving me the runaround, the ER doc's billing department the run around and refusing to take responsibility for what they should have paid from the beginning. Shady and underhanded if you ask me-and a very convenient way for them to get out of what they owe. Simply put, they conveniently did not "know" about the bill and closed the case.

How utterly disappointed I am-lesson learned, never EVER deal with an insurance claim involving injuries without a lawyer!

• Wp
    Wpayton5599 Apr 13, 2011

That is an unfortunate situation, and Erie should reexamine the claim. It is not uncommon to have a release signed, but all bills should be paid. For future reference, whenever dealing with a hospital, request copies of every single thing they are charging. Hospitals frequently have hidden charges just because they can put them through an insurance company. If the insurance won't pay, they will transfer those to you.

Personally Violated for dedication to Erie

I have been a loyal customer of Erie Auto and Home insurance for 15+ years, I recently added my 16 year old...

contents in fire

we had a garage fire and have replacement cost insurance now they our questioning the amout of contents we...

watch out

i have been through the ringer from Erie, it's been six months since i filed the claim and now the don't want to honor the value of the appraisal

No response for claim

I do not recommend Erie Insurance to anyone. I was hit by one of their customer and it has been 7 days now nothing has happened. They keep pushing it by saying that they are investigating. Their liability adjuster is so mean and rude. I only have liability insurance, so my insurance said that I need to deal with Erie to get the car fixed. I think Erie knows that and thats why they are giving me hard time. There were multiple drivers involved in the accident and Erie has not even made a attempt to contact them, and they are telling me that they cannot get hold of other drivers.

I will wait for another day or so if nothing happens I will file a complain with Bureau of Insurance. I strongly do not recommend this insurance company to anyone.

Thanks

• Ro
    Rob Nov 11, 2008

Update: 19 Days have passed and no response yet. Now the liability adjuster won't even return my voicemails. I don't know why people buy insurance from this company

• Ha
    hateerieinsurance Apr 14, 2009

Two months have passed since my car accident, no response from Erie insurance. Even with a lawyer, they do nothing.

• Ha
    hateerieinsurance Apr 14, 2009

Erie Insurance sucks. Two months after some one hit and run me, they do nothing. Even with a lawyer. Filing a complaint with the state is the only solution. Will sue Erie for non compliance as well.

• 12
    120luv2spike823 Sep 01, 2009

When a claim is filed against an insurance company, they have to contact their insured's to determine their side. If you have an attorney, they cannot contact you directly, they have to solely deal with your attorney.

I don't agree with them not returning your calls or being rude, just letting you know how an auto claim is investigated.

• Fc
    fcr Nov 02, 2014

We were in a accident on July 31 2010, and our erie agent told us we were on our own even though the NJ driver ran the stop sign at 45 mph, we are now disabled and Geico & Erie have starved us to a point of having to go on public welfare, so you the tax payers are paying for the big corporate fat cats to fill their pockets, I feel sorry for any one that has been a victum of corporate bullying.For those who want to we started with the state attorney general that lead us to the insurance comm., also the media, and www.[redacted].com.

Sneak attack

I just received a cancellation notice from Erie Insurance. They want $589 from my family. They are billing me "retroactively" for one year. My daughter got her license a year ago but was not driving due to grades. She just started her own policy through Erie Insurance IN August and when they found out the date she received her driver's license, they billed my insurance. They then send a cancellation notice because that amount wasn't paid. I explained that she wasn't added to our policy because she wasn't permitted to drive and we were waiting for her grades to improve so she could get her own policy. I even inquired 3 times regarding getting her a policy before we actually did and not once did our local office say anything about her needing to be added to our policy.

I am filing a complaint with the Bureau of Insurance in Virginia to fight for me. I suggest anyone being unfairly treated by their insurance to fight back!

P.S. My mother used to have erie insurance and they dropped her after one accident.

• Js
    JSW1 Feb 20, 2011

It is my understanding that Erie pays lawyers more then they pay the injured parties. this is from Erie staff. I had a claim to Erie for injury in elevator- besides being told that i was drunk- they would not talk settlement with my attorney. Since he is on % it is not possible for him to wait. Also, some state require Dr. to claim mecical cetainty - Dr. note this is not possible in most soft injury cases. Like inner eye damage. The best way to look at is what goes around comes arround.

• Wp
    Wpayton5599 Mar 17, 2011

I am not sure what the rules are in Virgina, but you may not have a leg to stand on with this one. Once a driver is licensed, whether driving or not, that driver must be rated on a vehicle. In California, the insurance company would not have backdated the charge, but Virginia may be different.

• Lo
    lostinmaddness Apr 13, 2011

This insurance company is horrible.I was in an accident 3 months ago.The other driver failed to yeild.He had Erie .I was hurt I went to the er .My bill was over 3000.I was in pain for about 3 weeks, no broken bones or anything hurt my shoulder and arm..I still haven't recieved a offer to settle anything.I could have went on and on like some people do just to get more money.But I was honest and still not getting any where.I would not recommened this insurance to anyone.

• Lo
    lostinmaddness Apr 13, 2011

I was in a car accident three months ago.I still haven't got my er bill paid .I was injured.My arm and shoulder.I hurt for three weeks ..still bothesr me some.I still haven't heard anything from them, I am neediing my medical bills paid which were over 3000.The driver at fault had erie insurance, I have been honest.I didn't go on with it for months, like some do for the money or hire an attorney...I still haven't gotten anywhere.I wouldn't reccommend this insurance to anyone.I sure hope you don't get in a accident with one of thier policy holders..

MartyHatesThis Nov 17, 2013

I had Erie insurance for one year. I needed renters insurance and my landlord recommended a local office. So I went ahead a got auto insurance there as well. At the end of the year I moved out cancelled my renters insurance and switched my auto back to my prior company who had a much less expensive offer. A few months later I discovered that I was still being billed by Erie Insurance, only because they contacted me by telephone, I explained and was told to fax a copy of my new policy confirmation and they would take care of it. I did that and a couple months went by before a collection agency called me saying I owe over $100 dollars. This was surprising considering my auto insurance is only $25 to $40 per month. I would accept it if they said I owed for month, or part of a month if they prorate. But not really, because I know I paid for the year that coincided with my residence. Eh, I think I'm just going to pay the bill to make it go away but I get tired of getting ripped off by these people. What's worse is I recommended Erie to a few people at one point.

Uses Stupid Reasons To Charge More

In using credit scoring for insurace purposes, Erie Insurance used the reason "Number of Accounts Paid As Agreed", as a reason why I was being charged more for my insurance. When I spoke with them and with ChoicePoint I was told that I had to have had dilinquent accounts, foreclosures, or charge-offs showing on my credit report. I obtained a copy of the credit report that they supposedly used. None of this showed on the report. As a matter of fact, all accounts on the report were listed as "Accounts in Good Standing" and "Never Late". After fighting with them several times about this, and contacting the Department of Insurance, they changed their mind, and said that the reason was coming up because I pay my accounts as agreed, but I have too few, or not enough accounts that I have to pay -- that I didn't have the "optimal number of accounts". When I asked them what the "optimal" number is, of course, they "don't know". When I asked ChoicePoint, who supposedly supplies the information to them, they "don't know" as well. They claim that they have to know how many accounts are listed on your report before they can tell you whether or not you have the optimal number. Sounds to me like there really is no optimal number! Maybe they are pulling this reason out of their deep, dark, hole, as an excuse to charge people more. What do you think? Additionally, how does Erie have the nerve to charge people more for insurance, because they pay their other bills as agreed--when Erie Insurence Group, themselves, require that payment be made on time? According to Erie, though...even though the paper that was sent with my policy stated that I was being charged more because of this reason and other unrelated reasons, "I am receiving a discount." Apparently no one at Erie knows the definition of "discount". I would love to know which dictionary has "an increase in price" as the definition of "discount"! If they are pulling this crap on you, call them and give them H_ _ _! Erie Insurance [protected] (Ask for an Executive Assistant, not customer service). ChocePoint [protected] (Ask them to explain their logic). Ohio Department of Insurance [protected] (Ask how much the insurnce company pays them to go along with whatever they want to pull).

• Bq
    B. Quickle Apr 14, 2008

In using credit scoring for insurace purposes, Erie Insurance used the reason "Number of Accounts Paid As Agreed", as a reason why I was being charged more for my insurance. When I spoke with them and with ChoicePoint I was told that I had to have had dilinquent accounts, foreclosures, or charge-offs showing on my credit report. I obtained a copy of the credit report that they supposedly used. None of this showed on the report. As a matter of fact, all accounts on the report were listed as "Accounts in Good Standing" and "Never Late". After fighting with them several times about this, and contacting the Department of Insurance, they changed their mind, and said that the reason was coming up because I pay my accounts as agreed, but I have too few, or not enough accounts that I have to pay -- that I didn't have the "optimal number of accounts". When I asked them what the "optimal" number is, of course, they "don't know". When I asked ChoicePoint, who supposedly supplies the information to them, they "don't know" as well. They claim that they have to know how many accounts are listed on your report before they can tell you whether or not you have the optimal number. Sounds to me like there really is no optimal number! Maybe they are pulling this reason out of their deep, dark, hole, as an excuse to charge people more. What do you think? Additionally, how does Erie have the nerve to charge people more for insurance, because their pay their other bills as agreed--when Erie Insurence Group, themselves, require that payment be made on time? According to Erie, though...even though the paper that was sent with my policy stated that I was being charged more because of this reason and other unrelated reasons, "I am receiving a discount." Apparently no one at Erie knows the definition of "discount". I would love to know which dictionary has "an increase in price" as the definition of "discount"! If they are pulling this crap on you, call them and give them H_ _ _! Erie Insurance 1-800-458-0811 (As for an Executive Assistant, not customer service). ChocePoint 1-888-497-0011 (Ask them to explain their logic). Ohio Department of Insurance 1-800-686-1526 (Ask how much the insurnce company pays them to go along with whatever they want to pull).

• Mc
    McClain, Carole Aug 16, 2011

I also have been with Erie for approximately 30 years and am being treated like a criminal. I was recently involved in an accident that was not my fault. A truck went through a stop sign and totally demolished my 1997 Volvo wagon. Erie is giving me a hard time in paying and also they want me to sign over my medical records and list all mydoctors. Fortunately, I was not injured badly - whip lash. I have an excellent driving record and maintain my cars properly. I had not car payments, was not looking forward to any. I asked Erie to make me whole financially and I have gotten nothing. It's not like they are not going to get their money, they will go after the other person's insurance and get fully reimbursed. Also, they made me use my deductible and took it out of what they were going to give me for my car. Volvos last almost for a life-time and hold their value very well. There was no way I could have found a car in the time frame that Erie said I should have and this left me with and $800+ car rental bill. They only picked up a little over $300. Their agents are extremely condesending toward the people they insure and have a take it or leave it attitude. I will be looking at other insurance companies. I also have my home owners with them and you get treated just as badly. They are right there for the money, but not any kind of help. Stay away from Erie. Since my accident I have heard several people complain about the service and attitudes.

Erie Insurance sucks!

Erie Insurance Group - www.erieinsurance.com After Thirty years of being a loyal costumer to Erie Insurance...

Buyer beware!

Erie Insurance Group
www.erieinsurance.com

Buyer Beware!

Erie's Family Life Policy: Customer Service is awful! They are rude, clueless and can't tell you anything. They had to outsource administrative work!

Please shop elsewhere, you will be glad you did!

• Lc
    L Chippendale Apr 03, 2008

I applied for an Erie Life Policy in August 2007 in Pennsylvania and still have not received an answer as of April 3, 2008. Our local agents have been useless in getting us answers. They just keep saying, "Oh, it's coming soon." They never call me with updates. I always have to call them. When the underwriters are missing information, they don't even bother to tell us, they just sit on the application. They did the lab tests on Labor Day weekend, and then in February called to ask me the same medical questions I answered in August. They did follow-up lab tests a month ago, and I still haven't heard anything. This is absolutely ridiculous. I plan to apply for insurance with a different company as soon as I get a chance.

• Me
    Melvin Botz Nov 26, 2010

I have my auto insurance through Erie Insurance and the agent referred me to YourLifeSolution.com as a better instant source of life insurance information instead of Erie. Erie insurance couldn't touch the rates I got an ING policy through YourLifeSolution.com

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices