Equifaxrefuses to send me my report, has given my information to someone else, has no dispute line, won't correct numerous errors

D

My insurance company raised my insurance rates. I called to find out why. They said they had pulled a credit report and used a credit-based insurance score. They raised my premium by $120 per month. The information they based it on is erroneous.
Somehow, the credit bureaus have mixed the social security number of another consumer with my information. Neither Equifax nor Experian would give me a copy of my own credit report, despite numerous requests starting ibn January of 2008 when I found out there were mistakes on my report.
They have given my personal information to another consumer. They have claimed that I have an excess debt to income ratio based on the fact that they were mistakenly charging another consumer's home mortgage payment against my credit record. For this reason I have been charged excessive credit rates when attempting to purchase a car. In addition, they have caused my insurance premiums to be raised by $120 per month.
Despite the fact that I sent a certified letter about six weeks ago to all 3 credit reporting bureaus, only Trans Union has sent me an actual hard copy of my credit report.
Equifax has a subcontractor named CSC whose information lists MY PERSONAL information under a "formerly known as" name on another consumer's credit report.
Not a single one of the 3 bureaus has given me a telephone number where I can speak to an actual human being to explain and have even an opportunity to begin to correct thesde errors.
Doireann O'Brien

• Wh
    What happened? Apr 09, 2010

Equifax single handedly destroyed my wifes and my ability to get a homeloan and take advantage of the 8, 000 first time buyer rebate. They have me owing 8, 000 to Greentree Finacial. It was paid off in full almost eigth years ago. I have contacted & received a letter of payment in full & the promise they would correct the problem with Equifax. I tryed 8 months later still not gone! Greentree claims they reported the change. Equifax has my wifes school loan reporting repeatedly four times two diffrent balances for the same account number. These are the only negative things on our report outside a few hundred in doctor bills & it is only on the Equifax report! So if its everyone elses job and equifax doesnt want to except any responsibility for keeping accurate or even semi accurate records the entire Equifax report should be disregarded. The company has focused way to much in marketing their own products holding consumers economicly hostage. This is a huge concern & a conflict of interest. I can not believe any company with the record this company has with the Federal Trade Commission the number of complaints still holds this kind of power or is still even in bussiness. If anyone happens to know the Equifax's live customer service number please email it to [email protected] Im not getting ripped off by their machine over and over again. Thank you I appriciate any help.

• Sc
    Scat Oct 30, 2008

One thing that people are not understanding about Equifax, they are a CRA. They do not request your info from the various accounts that you hold. It is the various companies job to report to Equifax, that is what makes up your credit file is what companies report to them. You people act like Equifax is just making up things to put in your credit file, and that is not the case. Example :If whatever company you hold an account with reports that you have a negative account with them, then that is what is on your credit file. It is those account issuers jobs to say what goes on or comes off your credit file, not Equifax's. As far as any charges you may be issued, when you signed up for a certain product that may have been a free trial, it is your responsibility to cancel before you are charged to cancel not Equifax. My suggestion is read all the print in terms of use before you decide to purchase their products. Also if whatever company signs you up to receive a product for free for a year or two, and you call to sign up, it will auto renew you for whatever year it is up. So if you do not want to be charged, it is also you responsibility to check on that.

• Je
    Jen Jul 14, 2008

Very true. Equifax does deny people their civil rights, as well as the other two players.

If you sent something certified, return receipt and they still refuse to comply, Send evidence to the FTC for a formal record. Unfortunately the Federal Trade Commission is merely a data warehouse sotring information. They are not going to help you get anywhere with them.

What you need to do is contact a local assemblyman/senator and see if they will assist you in getting copies of the reports.

The credit bureaus count on folks not being in a position to afford legal retainers. The existing laws are not enforced, unless you have the money to enforce them.

The good news is, I started googling the CEO of each credit reporting agency and I got phone numbers and email addresses. After 6 years of battling the same garbage, I am finally making headway.

Through participation in forums like this, I have local government support and was introduced to a lawyer who said she would initiate action on contingency. But this took so many years of battling and so much loss (in excess of $200, 000 when you count the property I couldn't buy out the business partner on because they refused to do their job). I lost a job, I lost educational opportunity, My integrity was called into question, therefore, severence denied when I was layed off. The ongoing damages of being considered uninsurable, constant embarassment by employer investigations (who by the way, reviewed my claim and investigated with the original creditors also finding The three CRA's at fault) and so much more.

It's just really tiring and I would love to organize a non-profit some day soon to specifcally to help people that have been unfairly victimized by the CRA's incompetance and sloppy recordkeeping. There needs to be someone who can get the laws enforced that are already in place.