Epson P-3000design flaw

In my opinion, the Epson P-3000 has a BIG DESIGN FLAW with regard to backing up this viewer in the field to another portable hard drive.

Pre-purchase review of Epson ads and the device manual erroneously led us to believe this would be easily accomplished.

It is hard to imagine that this viewer, obviously created with professional photographers in mind, would not be designed to easily connect to a back- up drive in the field. Who wants to be on a photo shoot, especially out of the country, and have only one copy of each photo - relying solely on the Epson P-3000 or P-5000 viewer. Not me! No HD is that dependable.

I have spent the last full day researching this matter - and complaining to Epson. After about 90 minutes on hold in 4 or 5...

mostly unhelpful... calls, I managed to piece together the following important facts: 1. Epson Customer Relations is staffed by people who just don't care, don't understand and don't listen. Supervisors are NOT available.

2. Most customer service and level one tech support has now been outsourced to Asia. Those calls were WORSE than item 1 above.

3. The one USA tech who finally did know, indicated the following: A hard drive that is compatible with the Epson P-3000, MUST HAVE - WITHOUT EXCEPTION - ALL OF THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS: Compatible with the "USB Mass Storage" Standard, be formatted in FAT32, with ONE partition, AND it ABSOLUTELY MUST plug into an electrical outlet for power. Oh, and the P-3000 MUST also be plugged into an electrical outlet, at the same time, to effect connection and file transfer.

4. You won't find any of the above information in the Epson P-3000/P- 5000 manual or Epson web site FAQs or tech support articles.

Epson has completely avoided the issue of HD compatibility.

Rather, Epson INFERS COMPATIBILITY for backing up to another drive in their manual and then says it "can't guarantee" it. Positively pathetic! Deceptive and shameful.

Since I actually like the rest of P-3000 features, I dutifully resolved to find such a PORTABLE drive. Here lies the concern. Trust me, NONE of little USB-powered NTFS-formatted drives that actually fit in a camera bag - and are currently in every store - will work. Some of the BIG FAT HDs also fit these Epson specs, but this sort of defeats the portable concept and I may as well lug the laptop through the airport! After searching for hours, I did find a Maxtor One Touch III Mini that MAY work and is small. First I have to re-format the drive to FAT32, and then I have BUY an electrical adapter to plug it in. Still waiting on that one. Turns out that Maxtor appears to be phasing out this drive - the only mini drive that plugs in, to be found ANYWHERE - and the electrical adapters are almost all sold. It will be interesting to see if this works. This mini-Maxtor also allows connection to TWO USB ports - this increases power. I don't know if that would work, but the P-3000 has only ONE USB port that can be used anyway.

In conclusion, after 20 years as a satisfied customer, IT WILL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE I BUY ANOTHER EPSON PRODUCT.

I attempted to send this e-mail to Epson management and Customer Relations but was told by the main office in LA, CA that they "don't give out e-mail addresses". Hiding management, supervisors and customers relations, with lots of outsourcing to Asia... hmmmm... great company.

References

1. http://www.complaintsboard.com/
2. http://www.labbb.org/

Michael G. Morgan

Commercial Consulting Services
P. O. Box 56019
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

• Updated by Pravin Fatak · Oct 05, 2018

My epson projector is not working..I purchased epson projector before 2 months..

• De
    deepak kumar Aug 28, 2018

Hey sir meta printer hai 4 month se de nahi rahe buhat pareshan kiya ha pls mera printer DE diya jaye

• Su
    sunil kumar pal Sep 01, 2018

sir maine 2 bar service center par compaint darj ki hai par aaj tak mere printer ko check karne nhi aaye hai

• Ha
    harshsingal Sep 01, 2018

Epson is rejecting to provide on site service of my printer, although it have already done so within warranty period. how can one spare time for the same. will never refer anybody for such products

• Ba
    Babs Gonzalez Sep 03, 2018

I just purchased the wrong ink cartridges for my Epson WF-2540. Problem...I did not realize they were the wrong ones until I put them in the printer. Of course, Wal-Mart will not take them back. My complaint...the 200 and 220 cartridges look just alike so why won't the 220 cartridges work in my printer? I know it's my fault but I just wasted $40+.

• 89
    89e Sep 10, 2018

Print line

• Pr
    Pravin Fatak Oct 14, 2018

On date 4/10/2018 there some some problem occur in my epson projector because of some electrical problem. That's why my epson projector is not working.I have purchase is last 2 months this is in warranty.So please provide your service man to check it.Please help to solve my problem as possible as soon...

• Ep
    epson l565 Oct 21, 2018

Scanner software is worst in the world..

Whenever we are scanning the page. scanner software hanged and it is not responding untill we restart the system as well as the printer..

Please provide any good update for the scanner software or firmware..

• J7
    j777999 Oct 21, 2018

Constant nozzle clogs. Hundreds of dollars wasted on consumables - cleaning cycles. To replace printer head is expensive. A new printer heads should be made available at a reasonable cost to all Epson x900 owners who have endured this horrible printer. Or...Epson should make available at a reasonable cost flushing fluid to prevent these clogs.

• Ke
    ken murphy Nov 12, 2018

Printed one page and was told I needed to replace cartridge M & Y.
    Replaced all 4 cartridges but the printer would not recognize them.

was on the phone for a hour while technicians tried to sell me various
    remedies.

It's not supposed to be this hard. I will never buy EPSON again.

And, of course, the printer doesn't work !!k

• Ad
    Adam Victor Osborn Apr 30, 2019

Hi
    Terrible build quality to this printer.
    I have since switched to Canon and my woes have vanished.
    Stay away from this printer or any in the range as you are courting disaster.
    Epson support was very poor and finally they told me to get lost.
    I will never again buy an Epson product for myself nor my customers.
    Thanks
    Adam Osborn

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices