Electroluxdefective range

G

A couple of months after we bought the stove (and a fridge), we noticed the element temperatures were erratic, either too hot or too cool. Shortly after purchasing the stove we also bought a new set of pots and pans with an energy saving feature of cooking at much lower temperatures. We started cooking everything at simmer or low as any other setting was too hot. This is our first smooth top stove and we assumed that elements were supposed to click on and off every couple of seconds. We soon learned that the elements only have two settings regardless of what the dials say; either weld or cool. Unfortunately before we learned this we damaged some of the new cookware. Simmer was too hot and warped our new pot. When we called Bad Boy in Barrie, they told us that this is the way glass tops worked and we were not used to it.

We called a couple of more times but got nowhere.

About a year later, the outlet on top of the stove shot sparks out and stopped working. We had to replace this at our expense as when we called Bad Boy, they said it was out of warranty.

Since we got the stove, we had problems with the elements. Last November (2011) the front left element finally went bad. It would come on and then go off. It would do this the whole time you cooked. You could not boil water. A short time later the element came on high and would not shut down to a lower temp. In order for it to go to simmer, you had to turn off the element and then turn it back on to the simmer point. The oven timer and then the oven worked intermittently. We had a repairman out to assess the repair and once he pulled the offending piece out and cleaned it with an eraser, could not get it back in. This is a Frigidaire repairman! The part that needs to be replaced is $457.00!!! That does not include having someone install the part. This is just not right. We are continuously told that we should have taken out the warranty but we didn't see the need when all through history, stoves have lasted 20 or 30 years or more as our last stove did and we are supposed to have progressed to the point that stoves should not only be much cheaper, but should not need servicing at all. The price of the extended warranty was prohibitive and we erroneously thought that it was unnecessary. Rather than have a stove and timer that worked intermittently, I now have nothing and I really would like to eat something from the oven instead of the microwave. I also cannot understand why my six-year-old microwave (that also has push button electronics and that cost me $89.00 brand new) is still working and has never given me a problem. Seriously, if Frigidaire is making disposable stoves that only last four years then that should be reflected in the price.

I digress. Once the front control panel of the stove began breaking down we starting having problems with a burner coming on by itself while the selector was in the 'off' position. The hot surface light would not operate consistently. I reached up for something in the cupboard above the stove and rested my right handed on the stove for balance, this is when I burnt my hand. I went to the doctor's office and he told me that it was a second degree burn and that I needed home-care nursing to come in to change the bandages until it healed. This was frustrating.

Now, the oven does not work at all. What we have is two small elements and one large duel element that we have to stand over to see whether the stove wants to roar out of control or sit back and offer too little heat where you can't even boil an egg on 'high'. This is a glorified hot plate. While wiping down the stove a chip suddenly appeared in the front between the cook top and the oven. We do not store anything heavy over the stove and have not had anything in the kitchen to do this. It was as if we washed the paint off. Upon closer inspection we notice the entire front of the stove is showing the black undercoat. Further inspection showed rust spots forming between the glass in the oven door. We really feel that we have been taken advantage of.

Fortunately the new fridge works fine although a crack appeared in the door a few weeks after delivery. We didn't file a complaint because it doesn't affect the mechanics of the fridge, it just looks bad. I doubt that I will purchase another appliance from you based on the poor performance of this stove. There is so much wrong with it that we are asking for a replacement with the original 2 year warranty along with two five year warranties that are transferable.

They are still messing around with this, (since Nov. of 2011) even after we told them that I received a second degree burn on my hand. We are still without a stove.

defective range