EBurgessDon't order from them

L

In early March I ordered several plants from this place expecting to receive them with 2-3 weeks...boy was I wrong. I did not receive the plants and trees until mid May which is past our planting season for a lot of what I had ordered here in the deep South. I contacted their customer service 5 times wanting to know when my plants would arrive and I never could get a definite answer. When I finally got them I had to return everything at my expense. I finally got my refund June 10th which is just shy of a month of when they received my return.

Do yourself a favor and never buy from this place, it is more trouble than worth it.

• Am
    America First Aug 13, 2021

Do not order from this company, in fact, don't order plants on-line period. After many years of not ordering from on-line companies I decided to take one more plunge and opted for Burgess as I wanted to order crown vetch for one side of my yard. Of the three plants received, only one sprouted leaves and the other two never did. The hydrangea looks like and is a dead twig and the snowball plant is slowly withering away. My cranberry plant has yet to arrive but if and when it does, I doubt if will be any better than the plants I've already received. For the money I paid I was surprised that they didn't even bother to pack the plants in moist moss as some companies do. This experience has convinced me once and for all if you want decent plants, buy from a local nursery and not the on-line companies with the exception of seeks as misc. items such as netting. Anything else beware. You will be disappointed!

joseph tommasi Jul 19, 2021

I bought two plants last year. Apart from coming months later, they died soon after planting. I sent the green envelope since that's proof and never heard from Burgess. Tried emailing them at an address that's on their website but the email was returned undeliverable. This company should be out of business.

• Am
    America First Aug 13, 2021

@joseph tommasi I agree they should be out of business.

• Mi
    Mike Strushensky Apr 13, 2019

mike johnstown, pa 4/13/19
    i ordered 2 trees from burgess last year and received 2 dead trees, I sent for replacement and received them in june, when i opened the bag i got 2 more dead trees. the only label on the bag was my mailing address. they say that is not a shipping label and they can't replace the trees. so i got ripped off for the price of the trees. don't buy from these crooks. BURGESS is a laugh. everyone passes the buck so they don't have to give you your money back or send you live plants.

• Wa
    WAYNE 948 Jun 10, 2016

we ordered a lot of plants from them and about half died I told them about it and they in so many words said too bad .SO DONT ORDER FROM BURGESS

• Rf
    R. F. May 28, 2015

We also ordered from this company with pretty much the same problems as posted above. I wish we would have found this site before the order was placed. NEVER ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!!! There are many honest and reliable places to do business, Burgess is not one of them.

• Mj
    MJ Sanders May 19, 2015

I have made the mistake of ordering from these crooks as well. Everyone needs to get the word out, Do not order from these people. My advise, your money locally.

• Ca
    carolyn neff Apr 29, 2015

I also ordered in march. they took the money from my bank account received confirmation number when I emailed them about the status of my order they know nothing about my order told me to call customer service with my information which has a busy signal at all times. I thought eburgess was a reputable American company. my biggest regret was not reading the reviews on this place. at this point I just want my money back...

• Sv
    Svaden Oct 28, 2013

I wish I had read reviews of Burgess before making the mistake of ordering from them. They will gladly charge your credit card a week or more before processing an order. I sent three emails and didn't receive a reply. I called customer service (so called) and was told an order placed eleven days ago was still being processed. I asked that the order be canceled and was told it could only be done by letter. How do they stay in business?

• El
    elena d b May 15, 2013

the worst gardening company I ever deal with. Bad customers service, poor quality plants and very very bad shipping and packing. DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!! I am still waiting for my refund...

• Sm
    Smileslynn Apr 05, 2013

Here are copies of all corresponding's between your company and myself... first I am told Feb, then I am told April.. now you are saying end of May... So my question to you is this a company like Spring hill that takes the money and never sends what you pay for? Please let me know what is going on.. 3 emails from you with 3 different ship dates. As right now this is not looking good for your company or for me spending any more money with you. I spend several hundred a year on landscaping plants and flowers. Please look at the copies of all emails.. Maybe you can understand why I have received different times of shipping. I am requesting a refund for the plants I ordered including the shipping and handling charges. I do NOT understand why I am receiving the run around all I asked was if you could combine the 2 orders as neither has been shipped, instead I am told a 3rd date. Either send my order now or refund my money including shipping and handling charges as you have handled nothing! I will find a company that will not take the money then give 3 different times that they will ship... this is a very poor way of doing business and I am sure your supervisors will agree and so will the better business bureau. If I had known before I placed the 2 orders I would of never tried this company.

Thank you for your email. We ship according to climate zones because items risk frost/freezing in shipping, if shipped too early. We typically do not begin shipping houseplants and tender perennials until April, as these items are susceptible to frost damage.
    On 3/11/2013 4:22 PM, Rachel wrote:
    I have an indoor greenhouse so its climate controlled and the items can be shipped any time the year.

From: Burgess Customer Care <[email protected]>
    Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 11:44 AM
    Subject: Re: Status

Thank you for your email. Our records indicate that your order has not yet
    been shipped.

We are currently shipping hard goods and seeds to all areas.

We began shipping nursery stock at the end of February to the warmer climates, working
    our way to the cooler climates as weather permits.

Also, just as a reminder, once you receive your order be sure to hold onto

City: forsyth
    State: MT
    Zip: 59327
    E-Mail: smileslynn
    just was wondering when my items will be shipped i see you took my money from my account and i have not received an order confirmation to my email or anything, wanted to just know the statues of the order.

From: Burgess Customer Care <[email protected]>
    To: Rachel
    Sent: Friday, April 5, 2013 11:44 AM
    Subject: Re: eBurgess.com Order #[protected]

Thank you for your email. Our records indicate that your order has not yet
    been shipped.

We are currently shipping hard goods and seeds to all areas.

our way to the cooler climates as weather permits.

Also, just as a reminder, once you receive your order be sure to hold onto
    the original shipping label from the outside of the package for your one
    year replacement guarantee.

Happy Gardening!
    On 4/4/2013 11:52 AM, Rachel wrote:
    I placed 2 orders with you and paid shipping for both... as you have had the money for over a month for both orders and stated you will begin to ship in April and it is now April, can you ship both orders together? And possibly refund some the shipping costs if possible that I paid. Frost is over and I need my plants. Please send shipping information to me. thank you for your time. I have more items I need to order but will not order again from you until I get the first 2 orders I placed.

From: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
    To: smileslynn
    Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 2:13 PM
    Subject: eBurgess.com Order #[protected]

Thank you for shopping at eBurgess.com!
    This email confirms receipt of your order
    request A summary appears below.

We suggest you save this email for any future
    inquiries. To assist us in providing you with
    the best customer service, please include your
    order number on all correspondence.

Order number:

Packing $9.49
    Sales Tax $0.00
    Total Charge $35.38

Shipping Policy

Please note that our products can only be shipped to the United States, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Please allow 1-2 weeks for your order to be processed. Seeds and Merchandise are normally shipped as soon as processing is completed. We have also begun to ship nursery stock items based on weather as well as availability and hardiness of the plants.

Keep in mind that many of our plants and trees are shipped in a dormant condition. Soak overnight in water before planting. In general, dormant items can be planted anytime your ground is not frozen. A late snow or frost will not harm a nursery stock item that is already dormant. On the other hand, these items can also be planted during warm weather--simply be sure to water well. Potted perennials can be planted outside anytime after your last frost until your ground has frozen solid for the winter.

Our One Year Guarantee

If any item you purchased from us does not live, for a FREE REPLACEMENT just RETURN THE ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL along with your written request within 1 year of receipt. If you are dissatisfied with any merchandise, return it together with the ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL within 1 year of receipt for a FREE REPLACEMENT. Replacement guarantee is VOID unless the ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL is returned. For a REFUND of the purchase price, RETURN THE ITEM AND THE ORIGINAL SHIPPING LABEL, with the correct postage affixed, within 14 days of receipt.

Substitution Policy

Orders are filled by item number exactly as received. If a variety is sold out, we reserve the right to substitute one of equal or greater value. If you are not happy with the substituted item, simply return the original shipping label with a letter of complaint for shipment of the original item when available or a refund.

• De
    Dee1984 Oct 03, 2012

Ordered bulbs in July. Its October and I have nothing?!?! I have emailed 6 times and finally said I want my money back. They sent a last email saying they had already shipped my items! First order with them and the last! Horrible company. Wish I would have known this sooner.

• Su
    Sulue Jun 04, 2012

I placed an order on 3/08/12 but after 12 days had no confirmation of the order being received or shipped despite receiving immediate confirmation from other nurseries. After calling them today, I was immediately concerned because the attitude of the representative was so unconcerned. I was told they do no email confirmations. They process the order after 1-2 weeks and ship it 1-2 weeks later. I asked to cancel the order but the attendant told me she couldn't cancel. I think when I ordered I confused Burgess with Burpee. I have discovered that some areas of the internet report over a 60% rate of unhappy customers with this company.

• Li
    Librugen May 23, 2012

Two weeks ago ordered very hardy shrubs... still have not received them and they can't update you on the status. Stay away and order elsewhere!

• Sk
    Skolkine Aug 23, 2011

I received dead plants and they would not send new ones. I followed their policy and was told I didn't know a dead plant from a live one. I e-mailed them and told them I would never buy plants from them again. As a Master Gardener and gardening business owner I can tell if a plant is dead. Sounds like a lot of others have had the same problem. Be careful this company sends out catalogs using different names...one of them is Dutch Gardens. Still researching to find the others. I have never had problems from other companies...and I do buy a lot of plants!!!

• Gu
    Guiding Mar 31, 2011

They say it takes them two weeks to process, then two weeks for shipping. STUPID!

When you call the "Customer Care" you get rude people who have no idea how to check on your order status, and tell you it will be a month before you get your plants.

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE LOSERS!!

• Ih
    Ih8tEburgess.com Mar 29, 2011

They also claim they reserve 2 weeks for "processing" then another 2 weeks for shipping! REALLY? You are going to ship my plants and it will take 2 weeks? hmmm I wonder what kind of shape they will be in when they finally arive? I talked to their "Customer Care" and got a rude person basically telling me "There are other people in front of you" .. well DUH. Then when asked if it was possible to see where they were at in the "process" (because we all know it is very, very hard to pick up the plants ordered and package them), and she let me know there was no possible way to find this out. Really? Wow. I so wish I had found this page BEFORE I ordered from them. That's O.K. Never again. And believe you me, I will spread the word. Gotta love social networking 8)

• Ru
    Rummate Nov 23, 2010

Just a warning, if you purchase anything from this site more than likely you will really be disappointed. I ordered a Fig Tree, they sent me a dead 6 inch stick. The Lemon Tree was half dead and the leaves were half eaten by bugs. I would NOT recommend this site.

MandNP Oct 01, 2010

I ordered from eBurgess for the first time in March of 2010. I love gardening, and I spend more money on plants than I admit to my husband. This order was only $120. The company lacks any automation, the service is terrible, the plants are not properly packaged for shipment, shipments are not timely, and I question the condition of the plants even prior to shipping. Several plants arrived with NO roots, others were moldy. The return policy is not user-friendly. I have requested replacement plants for those that did not live. Regardless, I will not order from this company again.

Meanwhile, orders I've placed with Michigan Bulb, Brecks, and Gurneys (all under the same ownership) offer a much more satisying result - timely shipments, automated communication, excellent packaging, convenient customer service, quality plants, and a LIFETIME GUARANTEE for as long as you garden.

Norm Doty Apr 25, 2018

@MandNP sorry about your problems with "Burgess" your complaint has convinced me to use one of the three other companies that you listed in your complaint. thank you very much.. Norm in Florida..

• Tl
    T Laird Jun 26, 2010

I placed a $100 order in mid march 2010, they shipped a small partial order in 3 weeks the remaining order is still awaiting a certain item, they will not ship the rermaing order until that item arrives in their warehouse, which could be sometime this year or next. The customer service reps give out any info they want to make the customer feel satisfied even though it is a lie.. The reps can't tell you the status of the account they only "can see the reference to the complaint" not any actual infomatiom. I talked to one customer rep, Crystal", who would not even give me the name of her supervisor as it would "take to long", how long does it take to say their name. Never do business with eBurgess. They have used my money for 2 months and haven't paid a single penny in interest at least my bank would have given me 1.0 %.

• Tr
    Trener Mar 09, 2010

Any mail order plants are going to come smaller than we anticpated because of logististic and the nice catelog pictures.

But this company's customer service is terrible. Don't expect your order to come in a timely fashion. Maybe that is because of the nature of fresh plants but if you put the plant on your cover you think you would have enough on stock... It took weeks to months to get my orignal order which was rotten when it got here. So you figure call them up and get some replacements? No way you have to send them the orignal box label to get a replacement which has been over a month ago.

So save the box and anticpate that your order will not be right.

• Ri
    RicD38 Aug 24, 2009

This is the worst customer service fiasco I have encountered since the 1970s. Plants ordered are small and poorly rooted. Failure rate was from 80% to 50%, nothing better. This in environment that had a 95% success rate with other vendors.

After a month, sent shipping label as required by company. Waited two weeks for response. I was then informed I would have to wait 6 weeks? Doesn't 4+2 equal 6? Calls and emails to customer service accomplished nothing, very brusk and non-involved attitude.

Who needs this frustration in their life? The season will be over before this company responds, (assuming they ever respond). I've written off the purchase as wasted money to a scammer, and ordered from another firm.

• Bi
    Billy T Jul 17, 2009

I ordered 6 roses on June 11, 2009 and they came on time, but they were rotten and had diseases and funguses all over them. I called customer service and I talked to one person and they said it wasn't their problem and were rude. So I had my Grandma call and because she orders from a lot of other companies and they were rude with her on the phone saying that she was lying, so she hung up. Then she called again and got another woman who said to send them back and write a note saying that i wanted a refund. So I sent them back the next day and it costed me over $7 to send them back. I was mad. I called them people and told them that I wanted a refund for the money i spent to send it back for their mistake. They said that they were sorry but they couldn't do it. So I waited another 2 weeks then called them to see what the holdup was about and they said it was in processing and that I had to wait. They finally gave me my refund of $29 on July 16. So in all I spend 37 dollars to order them then 7 dollars to send them back and then they gave me 29 dollars back. so they still owe me 17 dollars in total. Take my advice and never order from them EVER!!! You will be making a very big mistake.

• Pl
    Plant rip off Apr 23, 2009

Improper billing practices - they charge your credit card on the spot for your entire order but shipment as well as the amount of the order being shipped is a mystery and they will not give you a date. Do not order from these people before you read the BBB reports and read from here also - http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/233/

They also do not have a 800 number

They never give you a real persons name in there contact with you. You get a "Customer Care Department" at the end of your e-mails.

Josh Apr 16, 2009

I placed an order with them in january of 2009. I ordered the mini rose collection. after nearly 3 months i finally recieved my order. the plants were in good shape and one has already bloomed. I DO NOT ENCOURAGE ANYONE to order form them. The shipping rate is almos 10 dollars i only had one item in my order. shipping is too much. QVC has a lot of the same things lower shipping and theirreviews are 95% good very few of them are bad, however with eburgess it is the other way around. awful reviews and very very few good reviews. DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM THESE PEOPLE. Use QVC or another trustworthy company instead. ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU ORDER FROM ANYONE!! I will never use burgess again.

• Dj
    dj Sep 22, 2008

I placed an order from the burgess seed catalog in june of this year & was told the trees would arrive within 2 weeks-in july i called and was told they were on their way, in august i received a card saying out of stock delivery in early fall-now in sept i call and am told maybe by oct-no substitution offered-no apology offered-no consideration for the time and expense of area prepared for trees that will now have to be prepared again or the three long distance phone calls i had to make, lack of customer service is an issue the company needs to take a look at-so much for what was supposed to be my anniversary present to enjoy and watch grow-how well will the trees do in the cold new jersey winter????

ana da silva Jul 14, 2008

May 10 th I placed an order of 16 plants worth over one hundre dollars, mid june I received three plants which by the way where packed poorley . Today july 14 th still have not received the rest of the order .I have made several calls to unintelligent operators and got now here ... I just wanted the plants not a refund even though planting season is over in my area ...So please nice people out there DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY ( EBURGESS SEED & PLANT CO ) .