EasyJetoverbooking of luggage fee

We were charge going out £24.00 for two suitcases to Las Palmas which was not clear on our paperwork.

On our return, we paid 36 euros for two suitcases for return to UK. According to regulations, this was incorrect.

We require the refund of 36 euros.

We cannot find any website for baggage refund and so we are writing to you.

J.R. Chapman
email address [protected]@hotmail.com
(o1932 886152).
Easyjet ref: 321480 / EF9JHCL.
date of return to UK 17.03.09

Noralf Mork Oct 10, 2013

I booked an extra suitcase in advance at £8 and thought that was it, but was charged an extra £11 PER KILO in that suitcase, a shocking £209 fee. Easyjet did not tell me the £8 booking fee did not cover the weight of that suitcase, so I feel cheated.

• He
    Hefzi May 29, 2009

Just a thought: was your hold baggage over 20kgs? If so, EJ charge you at the airport: you get stung for this even if you have booked your hold baggage in advance. The other possibility might be that you didn't book hold luggage in advance.

To find out if you did book this, go into the help section on the website, and request a duplicate confirmation email. I think you can also do this via the "manage my booking" tab. You have to actively select *not* to take hold luggage - it is £8 per bag per leg, so the total added to your ticket cost would have been £32 - however, if your bags together weighed above 40kgs, you would have been charged excess, which if you book it in advance is 12EUR per kilo - EJ 's website just says that the charge at the airport is higher, and you'll be advised of it at the time.

SO in short - it could be that you hadn't pre-ordered hold luggage, then took a bag each, which cost you £12 each instead of the £8 you would have paid had you ordered it on-line, and EUR18 each coming home. (I can't check if this is right, as EJ don't show the rates if you pay for your luggage at the airport, and I've never done it myself) OR it could be that you were charged overweight, though again, I don't know how much they charge for this at the airport, so I don't know if it makes sense.

My recommendation is to check your booking, and see if you ordered hold luggage when you booked, as it sounds the most likely thing is that you changed the default which is to charge each ticket for one bag each way, and instead were charged at check in. When you pay at the airport, you pay each leg separately (so if you want to take luggage only one way, you need to do it this way or buy two separate tickets, as the system does not allow you to book for your luggage only one way) which could be why you were then charged in Euros leaving the Canaries - it was the charge for taking your luggage home again, as you hadn't already paid it by paying when you left the UK - that charge would only have been for one way.

If this isn't the problem, then check your receipt, and your luggage tags, to see if you were overweight.

If neither of those is the problem, your only option is to call Easyjet or follow this link

which goes to the the talk to us option, and lets you fill in your details.

I suggest also you amend your original post so it doesn't disclose your email address, which in its current format could be harvested by a spambot, along with your telephone number and other details.

Hope this helps - I don't work for Easyjet, but have used them a lot (only when the tickets are rock bottom and I don't have hold luggage though - otherwise, other airlines are generally only a little more expensive for a lot more service...)