Duracellleaking batteries

G Review updated:

Hi all,

I want to warn everyone to stay away form Duracell batteries. I have been using Duracell batteries for years and in the past I have been very pleased with the batteries, but not anymore. We have been buying our batteries form Costco and recently I went to start my annual changing of the batteries in various devices and lo and behold I found leaking Duracell batteries not just one and not just in one appliance, but multiples in a variety of different devices. I found the following:

1. Two leaking double AA batteries in a Force FX collector’s edition Light Saber, not easily replaceable. It took me two hours to cleanup the mess it made

2. Two leaking AA batteries in a $ 300.00 R/C car, (for the servos). Fortunately, these were in a battery holder and did no damage to the car itself – time to clean up the mess 30 minutes

3. Two AA batteries in another car remote control, time to clean and repair 2 hours

4. Four leaking AAA batteries in a Minolta SLR camera – time to clean up and repair 2.5 hours.

5. Two leaking AA batteries in a TV remote control, I had to buy a new one of these, (thanks P&G)

6. Three leaking AAA batteries in an X10 remote light controller, it had to go to that great electronic round file in the sky, (again thanks P&G).

I’m still not done. I am going through the house checking everything that takes a battery wall clocks, alarm clock etc.

Cost in my time far 6 hours, (so far) plus the cost of having to replace two pieces of equipment that were total losses and that fact that the other things I was able to cleanup and repair are no longer in the pristine condition I’ve always tried to keep them in. Further, all these batteries were within their acceptable use dates and what’s more other brand batteries that were installed in similar devices at the same time are fine.

Proctor & Gamble huh? gamble is right, they have apparently tried to save money by going with a cheaper manufacturer and it shows.

Not only have they lost a long time customer, but I will be posting this to every complaint board I can find and warning all my friends to stay away from Duracell batteries and will be returning what batteries I have left to Costco if they will take them back.

P&G you are a classic case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Does anybody know of a class action lawsuit in respects to quality issues/leaking problems with Duracell batteries I can join?

BTW the photo shows only some of the bad batteries, I should have kept them all and took picture of them plus the damaged devices before I cleaned/repaired and/or threw them away.

OMG I’m ANGRY!!!

Sincerely,

A FORMER Duracell customer

leaking batteries

John Newsom Feb 21, 2021

Package of AAA Duracell Quantum batteries marked "Guaranteed for 10 years in storage" and "Best before 2024" have several batteries leaking as of now after being stored unopened in a temperature and humidity controlled room of my home. Duracell did promptly mail me a voucher for a replacement package. However, my trust is gone in their product.

• Im
    Imsierra Feb 01, 2021

So many of my electronic devices have been ruined by Duracell batteries purchased at COSTCO that I will NEVER buy another Duracell battery. I agree, a class action seems to make sense in light of the failure of their products to perform and the damage caused to my personal property by their inferior products.

• Sb
    SBG.1 Dec 23, 2020

COAST headlamp, purchased at COSTCO 2 years ago. Has 3 - AAA batteries in it, put ProCell (supposedly Professional brand made by Duracell) batteries in. Good through 2023. Going through my BoB and checking all batteries like I always do.

Headlamp is dead, open light up and the packaging has failed on all 3 batteries. Unfixable.

Looks like COSTCO has totally dumped ENELOOPS (Made by Panasonic) and gone with the Duracell line. And Kirkland (also apparently made by Duracell).

• Da
    Danni Smith Nov 19, 2020

Purchased Duracell AA 6 Optimum for a Nikon camera in Jan 2020. Saved in closet to needed. To my surprise leaked and moldy, the whole package. Was a loyal customer...never again. Picture attached. Make it right please. Granni

• Jc
    jconley1103 bb Aug 02, 2020

Like these..

• Jc
    jconley1103 bb Aug 02, 2020

Duracell AA MN15000 March 2028...and they are leaking in part of the unopened package. Guaranted 10 Years... I don't think so

• As
    Ashley Rodwell Jul 06, 2020

I purchased the new Optimum Extra Life, Extra power AA batteries by Duracell and I'm so pissed!! Everything I used the batteries in quit working to find out that battery acid had leaked all in my electronics. Even the ones left in the pack in a cool dry place leaked and the tray was filled with acid. I wasn't aware of that and got acid all on my hands!!! I will make a complaint everyday until Duracell takes responsibility for their faulty product.

• B5
    B53 May 13, 2020

I have become really frustrated with the Duracell AA and AAA. In less than one year leaking batteries have ruin an antique carousel clock, two TV remotes and most recently my razor! None of the batteries were past the date on them. The remote battery dates were 2023 and the most recent loss was from 3 batteries dated 2025! I am so sick of items being destroyed by Duracell batteries. They can't be trusted and I am a mom who never left batteries in unused toys when my children were young.

• Fr
    Frizzled Jan 04, 2020

I was reading in my living room and my dog was sleeping. We heard a loud pop and then a hissing sound. After searching I found 3 newer (exp 2028) AA Duracell batteries lying not in, but next to a nightlight with liquid oozing out. They were on my kitchen counter at this time. My 4 and 6 year old use these every night to read in bed. After turning them off they set them beside their pillow. Thank God they decided to campout in the basement this evening. This could've damaged their vision, hearing and/or skin for life! I also bought these at Costco and looks like I will not get far with Duracell, so I'm taking all of my batteries back to Costco, which is a large package of every size and I am writing them a complaint saying they shouldn't sell them! Also, there's a schemicsl smell I'm concerned about. I just now packaged them in baggie and placed outside for now.
    Mad Momma

• Wf
    W.F.Pickler Oct 24, 2019

Carried back ALL of my Duracell Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9V) to Cosco and asked for full refund for all of them and requested they forward my letter to Duracell. All of the batteries were well within the shelf life, and most recent purchase of multi-packs of AA and AAA both had leakers in the sealed package.
    P&G could give a Tinkers Damn about consumer problems with batteries. Ruined a Nikon Electronic flash, a Nikon F5 camera, a Imalent flashlight, three elctric door locks, three Maglight flashlights and opne sent back to the factory in NJ six months ago and still not returned.
    After 50 years of using Duracell batteries, I will never again-forever-used this crap.
    I have changed over to Eveready and rechargable Eneloop batteries and rcommend any person reading this comment do the same.

Sally P Stewart Sep 06, 2019

Me too! I have batteries with a 2024 expiration date printed on them and they, too, are leaking!

• Un
    Unbiased News Jan 14, 2021

@Sally P Stewart Same here. Four expensive, emergency, led, made in USA, waterproof, aluminum flashlights ruined by leaking Duracell batteries in 2020 all within a year of install and with battery expiration dates of 2024 or later. Similar lights and products using Energizer, absolutely no problems, absolutely no leaks. I don't have a favorite brand, but try to choose the best quality when buying batteries. I will no longer buy Duracell.

• Fr
    Fred Pickler Jul 18, 2019

Wow. I though my problem was unique until I read comments back 5 years previous. I have had five devices destroyed, , and tjhe straw that broke the camels back was my Prized Imalet light, destroyed with Duracell Batteries dated EXP 2023.
    I read many of the comments, and after reading them, IO first went to my emergency kit (Bug Out Bag) and removed all the batteries in three flashlights, two headlamps, and 24 spare Duracell Batteries with 2023 Expiration date. More than 10 of these batteries were leaking. I replaced the, m with Energizer Lithium and Energizer Rechargable.

Next I removed the Duracell Batteries from two Nikon Electronic Strobes (leaking Duracell) My Pentax Medium Format cameras (2) and three strobes, Good God, the list goes on.

I now have a bag with more than 50 Duracell batteries, still in date, and will contact P&G for a refund. The light was sent in for repair . Lets see what happens to that.

• Sc
    Scott Denton Jul 16, 2019

I've had the same, poor experience over the past 18 months or so. Ruining several devices beyond repair. Several other devices, worked after wire brush cleaning the (-) spring contacts with a wire brush dipped in Vinegar. Cleaning Vinegar works best, it has a higher acidity than cooking Vinegar. As others posted, all have been newer batteries leaking( exp 2022 and newer), all my issues have been with the AA and AAA batteries, no problems yet with C, D, or 9V Duracell batteries that I currently have.

• Ne
    NevilleHURT Feb 14, 2019

Hello from the United Kingdom . . .

Same dreadful happenings here too, I'm afraid.

I always regarded these as the best battery make - but they probably NEVER where. In the 1980's I had a toy DALEK, whose Duracell's leaked, and I thought the toy was ruined. Then today, I have bought a toy FURBY - these Duracells are dated 2023 - and they are in the most disgusting crystallised state with BROWN FLUID around them.

PLEASE AVOID THIS BRAND. DON'T BUY FOR YOUR FURBY TOY - as they are recommended for them ! ! !

Norm Bruckardt Dec 23, 2018

I totally agree with the commenters on this blog. I am a 76 YO male and I remember when I was young it was a constant problem with leaking batteries in flashlights. However, this problem was solved many years ago now Duracell batteries are the worst of the lot. I winter in Florida and I just had to clean my Amazon fire remote because of leaking batteries. This morning I hopped on the bathroom scale and it did not workl, when I removed the battery cover I had two AAA Durcell batteries leaking in the compartment. This is not the first time I had this problem with Duracell. I will no longer use this piece of junk. Also stay away from their three pk of flashlights that they sell at Costco. Even when they are off there is a small drain on the batteries. The batteries last about 6 months in their flashlights even if you don't use them.

• Ga
    GaryDZ Dec 17, 2018

I have always used Duracell batteries exclusively with no problems. About 18 months ago I started having leaking AA and AAA batteries in multiple devices. I have switched to Eveready.

• Wo
    wolven4997 Aug 02, 2018

Duracell batteries of various types D cell - AAA cells have ruined four of my devices this year. Do not use Duracell batteries in anything you wish to use long-term. They will leak and cause corrosion at best and destroy the device at worst.

• Pe
    Pete CA Jun 19, 2018

I have had the same horrible experiences with Duracell AA and AAA batteries. In just about every device where they are used, I have had leakage and damage. These devices were all used indoors, and the dates are not even close to expiring. Just when I think that I have replaced all of them with Energizers, I find another one that I missed.

Another option is to use Energizer Lithium, which do not have corrosive agents. Energizer even boasts that their batteries will not leak, even three years after the expiration date. There was a class action lawsuit, but it was dismissed because the judge said that Duracell's 10-year warranty did NOT apply to leakage. Can you image!

You can call Duracell and attempt to get a check to cover the cost of the device. They even offered to send me coupons for free batteries. Needless to say, I declined their offer, which made their agent unhappy. See the attached photos.

• Ed
    Eddo Jun 15, 2018

We have/are having the same problem with AA and AAA Energizer batteries purchased at Costco. We have had to replace 2 illuminated magnifying glasses due to leaking AA Energizer batteries and a flashlight due to leaking AAA Energizer batteries, all purchased at Costco. In both instances the batteries were new and used in the devices for only a week or so. Duracell labels the batteries as "Guaranteed For 10 Years In Storage". Does this mean the batteries have been in storage longer than 9 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks? Or is it because Costco has dropped the ball in selecting a source for batteries of this size?

• Up
    ups man May 30, 2018

Wow! What a relief to find out I'm not alone in my frustration. Every battery operated device in my camper has leaked, as well as all my camera flash equipment, flashlights, bike headlights, taillights and hiking headlamps. It is obscene how this company has looked the other direction. I, too, have had 30 years of trouble free service from Duracell purchased exclusively at Costco. The last three years I've lost more than $200 worth of equipment due this issue. I will refuse to purchase anymore batteries from this company.

• Up
    ups man Jun 25, 2018

@ups man Since posting the above complaint, I just found that the Anniversary Clock that my mom gave us as wedding gift 32 years ago has been ruined by a leaking Duracell battery purchased at Costco. My frustration is over whelming at this point.

• Jd
    jdar Mar 07, 2018

How is it they continue the get away with this?
    I have been having the same problems as many others, but we only consider the obvious problems, damage to our electronics... what about the damage to the environment, and to our health.
    Just imagine how many people just throw these leaky batteries in the bin because they dont want to handle the smell and all the toxins.
    Imagine how many people then have to go out and not only but new batteries,... but buy another remote or electronic device. all so this greedy company can continue to prosper and make billions.... it is sickening

Joe Saab Jan 25, 2018

Hi folks, I have had the same recurring problem with Duracell brand batteries in Brazil (both AA and AAA).
    I have just returned from tryimg to wash the leaked acid from my hands, which itches a lot. I cannot leave the batteries inside any appliances or remote control toys, they must be removed after every use, except in the case of daily used tv and stereo control, of course. It’s a shame on P&G. Do not buy the economic pack, since they will burst inside the pack (with no electric load) and damage the others.

• Zo
    Zod666 Oct 02, 2017

Ditto here. 20+ years of good performance from Duracell and 3 years ago they start leaking like crazy. Wrecked a lot of good gear

• El
    Elkbow2003 Aug 13, 2017

I've noticed the same thing, I've had many electronic devices damaged or destroyed by Duracell batteries. About 2 years ago I had a camera destroyed by 8 AA Duracell batteries. I contacted Duracell, sent in the camera, and they paid me to replace it. At this point, I hadn't figured out that Duracell was the problem. They told me to remove the batteries when the item is not in use, which is not practical for some devices. However, I purchased several plastic storage cases for AA batteries and started storing my batteries in them as soon as the package is opened. These cases prevent the batteries from touching each other. I pulled out one of these cases containing 7 Duracell batteries and 2 are leaking bad, and without opening the cover, it looks like 4 of the others are also leaking, or the leakage is migrating to the others. After finding this, I checked 2 of my handheld GPSs and they both have severe battery leakage. Guess what? Both have Duracell batteries in them. I am pretty sure that you have to keep batteries in a GPS or the memory will be erased. I then found that a 4 D cell aluminum MAG-light flashlight has corroded so bad that the acid has eroded completely through the aluminum tube. It took 2 sets of pliers to get the cap off but I can only see the negative end of the last battery. I can't tell what brand it is, but I'll bet $100 it is also a Duracell. If someone knows of a class action lawsuit, I'd certainly consider joining it.

• Le
    lewisroy Jun 27, 2017

They used to be very good battery but I had them ruin 4 d cell flashlight as well a smoke alarm 2 battery clock 1 radio and my alarm sensor
    I even send some of the item back to duracell and never hear back from them
    I look on a new box and the address is not on the box any more so I can not send back a box or bad battery
    I do not buy duracell any more

• Je
    Jerry Korn Jun 26, 2017

And here I thought for the past year I was alone. I "used" to use only duracell until a little less then a year ago. then all of a sudden I started seeing more and more leaks until I lost a couple things that I really liked!
    That's it!!! — no more duracell for me...

• He
    heidi 1993 Jun 16, 2017

bought 3 packs of 2xC batteries from wilkinsons on monday put them in radio cd player on thurday - friday morning found acid leaking out onto my dining table =will never buy duracell again

• Pi
    Pierre Boudreau Feb 13, 2017

Duracell aa batteries leakage
    I have been using duracell aa batteries for a long time.. I observed many leakage events and lost many piece of equipment: a garmin 76 gps, a pentax dslr camera, flashlights, a label maker, a marine brass clock, some audio/video remotes, etc. I just realized that there may be a problem with the duracell batteries when I checked 7 remote controls that had been in storage for many years. those with duracell batteries all experienced leakage. two with oem batteries were fine! further investigation on internet confirmed the problem. as a result, I will no longer buy duracell products, and I will certainly not recommend these to anybody. also I will not leave any battery in equipment that is not being used.

• Wl
    WldMoose Oct 11, 2016

I have had two experiences now with Duracell batteries leaking. The first was about a year ago with AAA batteries leaking and corroding a headlamp and now the same thing happened with a small LED lantern but this time with AA batteries. They did replace the equipment in both cases but even as long time exclusive user of Duracell I think I have to move to a different maker going forward. They also will send you a coupon for free batteries but many stores are completely baffled as to how to redeem it. Be prepared to spend 20 minutes waiting for them to figure it out.

• St
    steveyost Oct 05, 2016

I have several flashlights, including a new maglight led flashlight that are now completely unusable because the batteries have fused to the inside. What is worse is the batteries still work, light shines bright, but I can't get them out now. This happened to a couple Duracell brand flashlights that I picked up from Costco, complete with batteries that are also fused to the inside. I have hammered and even run a sheetrock screw with slide hammer into one of the batteries and after several attempts got the core of the battery out leaving the shell behind still fused to the barrel. I have now decided to never keep batteries in any devices - fresh or not a little too late and with several hundred dollars of losses already.

• Gi
    Gigi Fox Sep 16, 2016

I've had a problem with leaking Duracell batteries in the different devices. We have used Duracell for the last 20 yrs. but not any more. I'm not going to risk any more devices.

Christopher J Olley Aug 22, 2016

I bought a pack of 4 AA batteries from Clicks in South africa

Two work and two are completely dead

How strange is that

Christopher J Olley May 19, 2016

I bought a pack of 4 Duracell batteries from Clicks Northgate. 2 work and 2 are completely dead

Sailorbryan Apr 29, 2016

Like many of the above ex Duracell users, I used Duracell on many of my small electrical items (TV, Aircon controls etc) because of their reputation and my good past experience. I am now removing all Duracell batteries because their use has resulted in the destruction of a number of fairly expensive devices. The batteries that have caused problems are dated Mar 2017 (they were installed in 2015 or later) and none of them have been in use very long. I wish that I had read this complaint forum earlier and I will certainly alert my mailing list to the problem.

• Zo
    Zoe2708 Apr 17, 2016

My Nephew was playing with his toot toot car and it wouldn't play, I didn't know why as I had just put new batteries in.
    My dad checked the batteries and noticed that one of them, the negative and the positive side where the wrong way round.
    I look forward to hearing from you

Thanks
    Zoe Robson

chester wisniewski Jan 08, 2016

Last September I purchased 2 eight packs of Duracell 9 volt batteries from Costco so that I could replace the batteries in the smoke detectors of my 6 unit apartment building. Within 3 weeks of installation, 4 of the smoke detectors began to chirp, indicating week batteries. I removed all of the Duracell batteries and replaced them with Rayovac. I have had no problems since. I have also noticed that the AA batteries that I purchased from Costco for my computer mouse have been lasting only about 4 weeks recently while in the past they would last for at least 3 months. I always date batteries when I install them so I know how long they last. I have used Duracell batteries exclusively for many years, but will never buy another one.

• Br
    brushybill13 Nov 14, 2015

Duracell batteries are failing, leaking and destroying my flashlights and equipment, ibuy alot of batteries, i 've always preferred duracell, but due to poor quality i have no choice but to never purchase duracell products ever again, you can send new batteries, coupons, you can even replace my equipment {which you have done none of these things }, but you can never restore my faith in your product, so GOODBYE DURACELL, PLEASE DIE IN AGONY, SAME AS MY EQUIPMENT

• En
    Engineeringtech Aug 31, 2015

It's not just Duracell, although Duracell is one of the worst offenders. I have had problems with Eveready, Rayovac, Fuji, etc. The entire industry seems complacent about the problem. They don't care how many of their customers' equipment the batteries destroy. Most recently, I have had to toss flashlights, a label maker, a vacuum sealer, and and several TV remotes.

I'm 61 and recall battery leakage being a serious problems in the early 60's. In those days, battery manufacturers offered to replace any device that was damaged by battery leakage. They worked to solve the problem, and I didn't experience a leaky battery throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's. Then the batteries started leaking again. I blame it on low quality foreign manufacturing.

The question is what to do about it.. I suggest we all write Congress until they mandate that battery manufacturers pay for damaged equipment. Eventually, the problem will go away again...

• Je
    Jeff Dafoe Jul 31, 2015

There is some sort of problem with Duracell batteries. After reading an online thread about problems with Duracell batteries leaking, I went through all of the devices in my house. A huge percentage of the Duracells were leaking. This included batteries less than a year old that were in barely-used devices. There were no problems with any of the devices with Energizer batteries in them. I don't know what the problem is, but there is definitely something wrong with Duracell batteries. I threw away the rest of the kazillion-pack of Duracells and now buy only Energizer.

• Le
    lewisgl52 Apr 21, 2015

I just stared noticing leaking Duracell batteries that I bought from Costco several months ago, and in at least a few different devices. First noticed it in a battery powered kitchen garbage cane. It requires 8 batteries. Since then have noticed this in other at least two other devices, including today in a Blue Ray player remote. This is happening pretty quickly after the batteries are put in and it is getting monotonous.