Menu

G
Author of the complaint
8:07 am
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hi all,

I want to warn everyone to stay away form Duracell batteries. I have been using Duracell batteries for years and in the past I have been very pleased with the batteries, but not anymore. We have been buying our batteries form Costco and recently I went to start my annual changing of the batteries in various devices and lo and behold I found leaking Duracell batteries not just one and not just in one appliance, but multiples in a variety of different devices. I found the following:

1. Two leaking double AA batteries in a Force FX collector’s edition Light Saber, not easily replaceable. It took me two hours to cleanup the mess it made

2. Two leaking AA batteries in a $ 300.00 R/C car, (for the servos). Fortunately, these were in a battery holder and did no damage to the car itself – time to clean up the mess 30 minutes

3. Two AA batteries in another car remote control, time to clean and repair 2 hours

4. Four leaking AAA batteries in a Minolta SLR camera – time to clean up and repair 2.5 hours.

5. Two leaking AA batteries in a TV remote control, I had to buy a new one of these, (thanks P&G)

6. Three leaking AAA batteries in an X10 remote light controller, it had to go to that great electronic round file in the sky, (again thanks P&G).

I’m still not done. I am going through the house checking everything that takes a battery wall clocks, alarm clock etc.

Cost in my time far 6 hours, (so far) plus the cost of having to replace two pieces of equipment that were total losses and that fact that the other things I was able to cleanup and repair are no longer in the pristine condition I’ve always tried to keep them in. Further, all these batteries were within their acceptable use dates and what’s more other brand batteries that were installed in similar devices at the same time are fine.

Proctor & Gamble huh? gamble is right, they have apparently tried to save money by going with a cheaper manufacturer and it shows.

Not only have they lost a long time customer, but I will be posting this to every complaint board I can find and warning all my friends to stay away from Duracell batteries and will be returning what batteries I have left to Costco if they will take them back.

P&G you are a classic case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Does anybody know of a class action lawsuit in respects to quality issues/leaking problems with Duracell batteries I can join?

BTW the photo shows only some of the bad batteries, I should have kept them all and took picture of them plus the damaged devices before I cleaned/repaired and/or threw them away.

OMG I’m ANGRY!

Sincerely,

A FORMER Duracell customer

108 comments
May 28, 2022 12:44 am

I’m an Electrical Engineer. I have 3 degrees in the Electronics and Electrical fields. I have over 20 TV sets in my house along with a variety of electronic gadgets that currently utilize well over 100 batteries. Yes, I have a large house and Yes my family has a lot of battery operated devices. I've been using various types of Duracell batteries for over 40 years and I can assure you that the Duracell batteries that have been made over the past 10 years or so are absolutely garbage. Duracell batteries will positively leak. It doesn’t matter whether they are placed in a device or left in the original package, they will leak and swell. Being that I repair electronic devices for a living, I’ve had well over 500 devices come across my bench that have been ruined by leaking Duracell AA or AAA batteries. I’ve taken pictures of numerous devices destroyed by Duracell batteries. Do NOT buy them. Buy any other brand of battery.

M
Apr 10, 2022 2:27 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We had Duracell leaks on multiple flashlights-wall clocks-remote controls and our thermostat! All not close to expiring! Never again will we buy duracell

S

I see this has happened to many ! Today I went through the entire house replacing the Duracell Quantum batteries and there was tons of different sizes for different things in the house and of course it was past due to return them, the Duracell batteries. I had changed something last month and saw the batteries had appeared to blow ! Crystal like material and some area's of the battery blackened. I thought about it and sort of pushed it out of my mind. Then I kept needing to replace other ones and the same thing, and even in the packages they had come in, some not even opened, many had exploded in the big package I had purchased too and had never touched! Will not buy Duracell again after reading all the comments ! lucky my weather radio was not ruined, radio, computer mouse, clocks, I could go on and on. I don't know if the company pulled them or what but I know where I get batteries they pulled them and will not sell them anymore if they are available !

T
Nov 14, 2021 12:11 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Last pack of AA's I bought went dead and started leaking after a couple months. Filed a complaint and received a letter for how to properly store batteries. Are they kidding me? I have been storing batteries in the same place for 30 years and never had a problem. Never received the "cupon" they promised. I see many, many complaints on this page similar to mine. I will never trust Duracell again.

Same thing happened to me AAA’s AAs C D they all leak destroyed all my equipment flashlights remote controls everything you Used Duracell batteries gets ruined

Oct 03, 2021 8:57 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I had problem with these battery
I send in item as they ask for and never HERE from them and DID not receive ANY of my item back I got up with Jessica C. Manager Consumer Relats Departmention
I sent my bad battery back to
Duracell
attn: Jessica
PO Box 28165
Green Bay, WI [protected]
If this help any body

I had an icom radio, ic10 receiver, die because of leaking energizer batteries. I called the company and was told they would reimburse me $75 for the damage. My radio cost me over $650. A commercial type radio that are known to last a lifetime. I believe the duracell name is finished.

Aug 22, 2021 9:00 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They really do not care if they ruin millions of dollars of equipment every year just as long as suckers keep buying their batteries. I can not ever buy a duracell battery again after all the electronic equipment I have lost this year alone. They could never get my business back and if they sent me free batteries I would chuck them in the garbage where duracell belongs.

Jul 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Another deeply unhappy long term customer here. Gone from only using duracell to never again. Several devices ruined that are impossible to replace eg logitech harmony remotes and nintendo wii controllers.
All batteries many years from use by date. I've just checked one of my duracell packs dated 2027 and several leaking. Done with you.

Feb 21, 2021 7:37 pm

Package of AAA Duracell Quantum batteries marked "Guaranteed for 10 years in storage" and "Best before 2024" have several batteries leaking as of now after being stored unopened in a temperature and humidity controlled room of my home. Duracell did promptly mail me a voucher for a replacement package. However, my trust is gone in their product.

View 0 more photos

So many of my electronic devices have been ruined by Duracell batteries purchased at COSTCO that I will NEVER buy another Duracell battery. I agree, a class action seems to make sense in light of the failure of their products to perform and the damage caused to my personal property by their inferior products.

Dec 23, 2020 11:36 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

COAST headlamp, purchased at COSTCO 2 years ago. Has 3 - AAA batteries in it, put ProCell (supposedly Professional brand made by Duracell) batteries in. Good through 2023. Going through my BoB and checking all batteries like I always do.

Headlamp is dead, open light up and the packaging has failed on all 3 batteries. Unfixable.

Looks like COSTCO has totally dumped ENELOOPS (Made by Panasonic) and gone with the Duracell line. And Kirkland (also apparently made by Duracell).

Nov 19, 2020 2:51 pm

Purchased Duracell AA 6 Optimum for a Nikon camera in Jan 2020. Saved in closet to needed. To my surprise leaked and moldy, the whole package. Was a loyal customer...never again. Picture attached. Make it right please. Granni

Aug 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Like these..

Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm

Duracell AA MN15000 March 2028...and they are leaking in part of the unopened package. Guaranted 10 Years... I don't think so

A
Jul 06, 2020 8:13 pm

I purchased the new Optimum Extra Life, Extra power AA batteries by Duracell and I'm so pissed! Everything I used the batteries in quit working to find out that battery acid had leaked all in my electronics. Even the ones left in the pack in a cool dry place leaked and the tray was filled with acid. I wasn't aware of that and got acid all on my hands! I will make a complaint everyday until Duracell takes responsibility for their faulty product.

B
May 13, 2020 5:17 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have become really frustrated with the Duracell AA and AAA. In less than one year leaking batteries have ruin an antique carousel clock, two TV remotes and most recently my razor! None of the batteries were past the date on them. The remote battery dates were 2023 and the most recent loss was from 3 batteries dated 2025! I am so sick of items being destroyed by Duracell batteries. They can't be trusted and I am a mom who never left batteries in unused toys when my children were young.

F
Jan 04, 2020 11:38 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I was reading in my living room and my dog was sleeping. We heard a loud pop and then a hissing sound. After searching I found 3 newer (exp 2028) AA Duracell batteries lying not in, but next to a nightlight with liquid oozing out. They were on my kitchen counter at this time. My 4 and 6 year old use these every night to read in bed. After turning them off they set them beside their pillow. Thank God they decided to campout in the basement this evening. This could've damaged their vision, hearing and/or skin for life! I also bought these at Costco and looks like I will not get far with Duracell, so I'm taking all of my batteries back to Costco, which is a large package of every size and I am writing them a complaint saying they shouldn't sell them! Also, there's a schemicsl smell I'm concerned about. I just now packaged them in baggie and placed outside for now.
Mad Momma

Oct 24, 2019 11:10 am

Carried back ALL of my Duracell Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9V) to Cosco and asked for full refund for all of them and requested they forward my letter to Duracell. All of the batteries were well within the shelf life, and most recent purchase of multi-packs of AA and AAA both had leakers in the sealed package.
P&G could give a Tinkers Damn about consumer problems with batteries. Ruined a Nikon Electronic flash, a Nikon F5 camera, a Imalent flashlight, three elctric door locks, three Maglight flashlights and opne sent back to the factory in NJ six months ago and still not returned.
After 50 years of using Duracell batteries, I will never again-forever-used this crap.
I have changed over to Eveready and rechargable Eneloop batteries and rcommend any person reading this comment do the same.

Sep 06, 2019 11:22 pm

Me too! I have batteries with a 2024 expiration date printed on them and they, too, are leaking!

Jan 14, 2021 10:52 am

Same here. Four expensive, emergency, led, made in USA, waterproof, aluminum flashlights ruined by leaking Duracell batteries in 2020 all within a year of install and with battery expiration dates of 2024 or later. Similar lights and products using Energizer, absolutely no problems, absolutely no leaks. I don't have a favorite brand, but try to choose the best quality when buying batteries. I will no longer buy Duracell.

F
Jul 18, 2019 5:03 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Wow. I though my problem was unique until I read comments back 5 years previous. I have had five devices destroyed, , and tjhe straw that broke the camels back was my Prized Imalet light, destroyed with Duracell Batteries dated EXP 2023.
I read many of the comments, and after reading them, IO first went to my emergency kit (Bug Out Bag) and removed all the batteries in three flashlights, two headlamps, and 24 spare Duracell Batteries with 2023 Expiration date. More than 10 of these batteries were leaking. I replaced the, m with Energizer Lithium and Energizer Rechargable.

Next I removed the Duracell Batteries from two Nikon Electronic Strobes (leaking Duracell) My Pentax Medium Format cameras (2) and three strobes, Good God, the list goes on.

I now have a bag with more than 50 Duracell batteries, still in date, and will contact P&G for a refund. The light was sent in for repair . Lets see what happens to that.

Jul 16, 2019 11:56 am

I've had the same, poor experience over the past 18 months or so. Ruining several devices beyond repair. Several other devices, worked after wire brush cleaning the (-) spring contacts with a wire brush dipped in Vinegar. Cleaning Vinegar works best, it has a higher acidity than cooking Vinegar. As others posted, all have been newer batteries leaking( exp 2022 and newer), all my issues have been with the AA and AAA batteries, no problems yet with C, D, or 9V Duracell batteries that I currently have.

N
Feb 14, 2019 10:32 am

Hello from the United Kingdom . . .

Same dreadful happenings here too, I'm afraid.

I always regarded these as the best battery make - but they probably NEVER where. In the 1980's I had a toy DALEK, whose Duracell's leaked, and I thought the toy was ruined. Then today, I have bought a toy FURBY - these Duracells are dated 2023 - and they are in the most disgusting crystallised state with BROWN FLUID around them.

PLEASE AVOID THIS BRAND. DON'T BUY FOR YOUR FURBY TOY - as they are recommended for them ! ! !

N
Dec 23, 2018 7:50 am

I totally agree with the commenters on this blog. I am a 76 YO male and I remember when I was young it was a constant problem with leaking batteries in flashlights. However, this problem was solved many years ago now Duracell batteries are the worst of the lot. I winter in Florida and I just had to clean my Amazon fire remote because of leaking batteries. This morning I hopped on the bathroom scale and it did not workl, when I removed the battery cover I had two AAA Durcell batteries leaking in the compartment. This is not the first time I had this problem with Duracell. I will no longer use this piece of junk. Also stay away from their three pk of flashlights that they sell at Costco. Even when they are off there is a small drain on the batteries. The batteries last about 6 months in their flashlights even if you don't use them.

G
Dec 17, 2018 1:13 pm

I have always used Duracell batteries exclusively with no problems. About 18 months ago I started having leaking AA and AAA batteries in multiple devices. I have switched to Eveready.

Aug 02, 2018 11:34 pm

Duracell batteries of various types D cell - AAA cells have ruined four of my devices this year. Do not use Duracell batteries in anything you wish to use long-term. They will leak and cause corrosion at best and destroy the device at worst.

Jun 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I have had the same horrible experiences with Duracell AA and AAA batteries. In just about every device where they are used, I have had leakage and damage. These devices were all used indoors, and the dates are not even close to expiring. Just when I think that I have replaced all of them with Energizers, I find another one that I missed.

Another option is to use Energizer Lithium, which do not have corrosive agents. Energizer even boasts that their batteries will not leak, even three years after the expiration date. There was a class action lawsuit, but it was dismissed because the judge said that Duracell's 10-year warranty did NOT apply to leakage. Can you image!

You can call Duracell and attempt to get a check to cover the cost of the device. They even offered to send me coupons for free batteries. Needless to say, I declined their offer, which made their agent unhappy. See the attached photos.

E
Jun 15, 2018 11:27 am

We have/are having the same problem with AA and AAA Energizer batteries purchased at Costco. We have had to replace 2 illuminated magnifying glasses due to leaking AA Energizer batteries and a flashlight due to leaking AAA Energizer batteries, all purchased at Costco. In both instances the batteries were new and used in the devices for only a week or so. Duracell labels the batteries as "Guaranteed For 10 Years In Storage". Does this mean the batteries have been in storage longer than 9 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks? Or is it because Costco has dropped the ball in selecting a source for batteries of this size?

May 30, 2018 8:23 pm

Wow! What a relief to find out I'm not alone in my frustration. Every battery operated device in my camper has leaked, as well as all my camera flash equipment, flashlights, bike headlights, taillights and hiking headlamps. It is obscene how this company has looked the other direction. I, too, have had 30 years of trouble free service from Duracell purchased exclusively at Costco. The last three years I've lost more than $200 worth of equipment due this issue. I will refuse to purchase anymore batteries from this company.

Jun 25, 2018 10:38 am
Replying to comment of ups man

Since posting the above complaint, I just found that the Anniversary Clock that my mom gave us as wedding gift 32 years ago has been ruined by a leaking Duracell battery purchased at Costco. My frustration is over whelming at this point.

Mar 07, 2018 6:41 pm

How is it they continue the get away with this?
I have been having the same problems as many others, but we only consider the obvious problems, damage to our electronics... what about the damage to the environment, and to our health.
Just imagine how many people just throw these leaky batteries in the bin because they dont want to handle the smell and all the toxins.
Imagine how many people then have to go out and not only but new batteries,... but buy another remote or electronic device. all so this greedy company can continue to prosper and make billions... it is sickening

Jan 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi folks, I have had the same recurring problem with Duracell brand batteries in Brazil (both AA and AAA).
I have just returned from tryimg to wash the leaked acid from my hands, which itches a lot. I cannot leave the batteries inside any appliances or remote control toys, they must be removed after every use, except in the case of daily used tv and stereo control, of course. It’s a shame on P&G. Do not buy the economic pack, since they will burst inside the pack (with no electric load) and damage the others.

Z
Oct 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Ditto here. 20+ years of good performance from Duracell and 3 years ago they start leaking like crazy. Wrecked a lot of good gear

E
Aug 13, 2017 10:36 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I've noticed the same thing, I've had many electronic devices damaged or destroyed by Duracell batteries. About 2 years ago I had a camera destroyed by 8 AA Duracell batteries. I contacted Duracell, sent in the camera, and they paid me to replace it. At this point, I hadn't figured out that Duracell was the problem. They told me to remove the batteries when the item is not in use, which is not practical for some devices. However, I purchased several plastic storage cases for AA batteries and started storing my batteries in them as soon as the package is opened. These cases prevent the batteries from touching each other. I pulled out one of these cases containing 7 Duracell batteries and 2 are leaking bad, and without opening the cover, it looks like 4 of the others are also leaking, or the leakage is migrating to the others. After finding this, I checked 2 of my handheld GPSs and they both have severe battery leakage. Guess what? Both have Duracell batteries in them. I am pretty sure that you have to keep batteries in a GPS or the memory will be erased. I then found that a 4 D cell aluminum MAG-light flashlight has corroded so bad that the acid has eroded completely through the aluminum tube. It took 2 sets of pliers to get the cap off but I can only see the negative end of the last battery. I can't tell what brand it is, but I'll bet $100 it is also a Duracell. If someone knows of a class action lawsuit, I'd certainly consider joining it.

Jun 27, 2017 10:30 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They used to be very good battery but I had them ruin 4 d cell flashlight as well a smoke alarm 2 battery clock 1 radio and my alarm sensor
I even send some of the item back to duracell and never hear back from them
I look on a new box and the address is not on the box any more so I can not send back a box or bad battery
I do not buy duracell any more

Jun 26, 2017 10:30 pm

And here I thought for the past year I was alone. I "used" to use only duracell until a little less then a year ago. then all of a sudden I started seeing more and more leaks until I lost a couple things that I really liked!
That's it! — no more duracell for me...

H
Jun 16, 2017 10:09 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

bought 3 packs of 2xC batteries from wilkinsons on monday put them in radio cd player on thurday - friday morning found acid leaking out onto my dining table =will never buy duracell again

Feb 13, 2017 9:58 am

Duracell aa batteries leakage
I have been using duracell aa batteries for a long time.. I observed many leakage events and lost many piece of equipment: a garmin 76 gps, a pentax dslr camera, flashlights, a label maker, a marine brass clock, some audio/video remotes, etc. I just realized that there may be a problem with the duracell batteries when I checked 7 remote controls that had been in storage for many years. those with duracell batteries all experienced leakage. two with oem batteries were fine! further investigation on internet confirmed the problem. as a result, I will no longer buy duracell products, and I will certainly not recommend these to anybody. also I will not leave any battery in equipment that is not being used.

Mar 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Aussie Hair company is the worst. I am a senior hair stylist of 5 years and wanted to change my hair suppliers as I was having trouble with them. I went with their website and got tape hair extensions for a client, and put them in. But they did a poor job providing this simple service.

Oct 11, 2016 8:37 am

I have had two experiences now with Duracell batteries leaking. The first was about a year ago with AAA batteries leaking and corroding a headlamp and now the same thing happened with a small LED lantern but this time with AA batteries. They did replace the equipment in both cases but even as long time exclusive user of Duracell I think I have to move to a different maker going forward. They also will send you a coupon for free batteries but many stores are completely baffled as to how to redeem it. Be prepared to spend 20 minutes waiting for them to figure it out.

Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

I have several flashlights, including a new maglight led flashlight that are now completely unusable because the batteries have fused to the inside. What is worse is the batteries still work, light shines bright, but I can't get them out now. This happened to a couple Duracell brand flashlights that I picked up from Costco, complete with batteries that are also fused to the inside. I have hammered and even run a sheetrock screw with slide hammer into one of the batteries and after several attempts got the core of the battery out leaving the shell behind still fused to the barrel. I have now decided to never keep batteries in any devices - fresh or not a little too late and with several hundred dollars of losses already.

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

235 complaints