Duke Energyhigh cost of bill

I have never had such an outrageous electric bill. I thought last month's was bad at $269. I called in and apparently, it's the same canned response given to anyone that calls in to question about their bill. From reading other complaints on other websites, I guess they say "this winter is colder than last". Your furnace has to work harder to run the heat to keep it the same temperature. That is complete BS! This winter I've been setting my thermostat 2 - 3 degrees cooler than last, and I still have much higher electric bills. We don't have any other additional appliances than what we've had the previous 2 years. We aren't using our electric any differently than the previous 2 years. Now, I just got an online notification that my bill for this month is $334. My highest electric bill all last winter was $225. Then, most of my bills last winter were below $200, and I was running the temp 2-3 degrees higher. Something doesn't add up, and something needs to be done about this monopoly. We need to oust Duke Energy out of the Cincinnati area, and bring in a more reasonably priced competitor. OH, the other thing I find suspicious is reading other people's claims that they don't come out and actually read your meter.

• Pa
    Paul 3 Jan 18, 2014

They shut off my mothers electric on the coldest night of the year, because she forgot to pay 125.00, then wanted another 145.00 to turn it back on. Sick Company, Sick People.

• Se
    Sechrest Jul 26, 2014

My power bill was the most the last 6 months that is has "EVER" been.
    The Duke power customers are paying for the Coal Ash Spill, NO DOUBT.
    I average with Duke Power as I did with Progress Energy. The procedure and paperwork
    just rolled over when Duke Power took over.
    My power bill in 2012 was $97, then 2013-$104, this was while averaging.
    My new 2014 AVERAGING Rate for the next 12 months will be $265.
    I put a request for Duke power to check their meter box, of course they stated no issues.
    I had my electricity audited, of course no issues. Duke power and the electric audit
    revealed that my issues were the 3 Winter months(heating). Everyone tells me that
    this was the worst winter in many years. I live alone, this is "UNREAL".
    The electric person that audited did have a couple of suggestions that may help
    to get the power bill to come down next year. HELP me, reaching out to anyone
    for suggestions. E-mail me at [email protected]
    Can't afford to pay for Coal Ash Spill, they should be held accountability for their and
    pay from their accounts.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices