ADVERTISIMENT

DTE Energypower line to home lying in yard

R

Please be advised, I received your correspondence regarding the property damage claim from Detroit Edison (DTE) under the date of November 20, 2015, on November 29, 2015. In your letter you stated DTE’s underground equipment was struck and sustained damages in the amount of $2, 178.62 because of the installation of my patio. You also stated that according to the Miss Dig Statute all utilities, including DTE are required to have the underground utilities staked prior to excavation. My power to half of my home went out on November 10, 2015, and I called DTE immediately. To receive this letter after making numerous calls is insulting. According to you letter, the underground crew who came out on November 16th, the Monday after the first snow fall, my husband and I were home all day and saw no one. My husband decided to place another call with no response on the 18th, I called again on the 20th and someone finally came out on the 22nd, this person said we needed an underground person and he could easily detect where the damage was and fix it. I placed another call on the 27th and was told my work order had been closed. As you can see in the attached photos, I still have a live wire crossing my yard into the other neighbors’ yard, with an open yard children are constantly running through as well as animals mainly deer. As you can see from the photos, my patio is above ground level which was installed in July. The installation required no excavation or use of power equipment. The patio replaced an existing deck so there was no need for the use of any powered hand tools. The posts for the arbor were set into the cement for support. I am well aware of the Miss Dig Statute after retiring from a public entity for over 20 years and dealing with damage recovery as yourself. Act 53 of 1974 which was repealed by ACT 174 of 2013 effective April 1, 2014, Section 2 under 460.702 Exemptions. Clearly states; this act does not apply to a person or public agency using only nonpowered hand tools in performing excavating or tunneling operations described herein. The company who installed my patio has been in business for over 40 years and is also well aware of the statue. Therefore, the power loss to my home is due to faulty DTE equipment and we would like it resolved as soon as possible. You asked in your correspondence that I contact my insurance representative immediately to avoid legal action. I have over 20 years in the insurance business and I will be handling my own claim. Please consider this a formal notice for which I am holding Detroit Edison legally responsible for any damages incurred to any human being, any animal belonging to someone personally or any damages incurred to/on the premises due to the exposed power line.

power line to home lying in yard

Comment Guidelines