Having problems with Gexa Energy?

1866 961 9399 (Customer Service)
20455 State Highway 249, Suite 200
Fri7:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

Billing / only received call backs after 4-6 hrs and then escalated and have to hold and no one ever answers

I always paid my bill online and had a past due amount and clicked to pay the past due since the new bill had just generated. Once I clicked and entered, I noticed the remaining balance said $0. I looked at the payment activity and the full balance was shown submitted. I called customer service 30 seconds later and could never get connected with anyone. The hold service stated, "longer than 20 minutes" so I waited almost an hour before I finally accepted the choice to receive a call back. After I received a call back 4 hours later, I told the representative of the issue and the rude man, who seemed irritated immediately said, "ok, i'm going to transfer you to the escalation department", which put me back in queue and I waited 35 minutes, then it sounded like someone just answered and hung up. I had called right back and selected to receive a call back. Then used my other cell phone to call and request a call back without providing my information. This allowed me to hold 2 places in line. Well, I received a call the next day around 10am on the line I didnt give my account information. I spoke to that rep and told them what has been happening and my payment was still showing pending. He said, "I am going to talk to my supervisor". He comes back and apologizes and says he is going to escalate call, but would stay on hold with me, since I have been given the runaround. After 25 minutes, he hung up the call. I called back and he system still stated, "longer than 20min hold time" and waited 30 more minutes, then requested another call back with automated hold system while waiting on hold. Out of all the calls and waiting, it has been 24hrs, since my problem has begun. I swear I am leaving gexa! You cannot reach customer service with any type of emergency issues. Everything is a callback. Not sure how they are functioning at all. The funny part is, the only time I have called their customer service is when I picked them as a provider almost a year ago. Very disappointed!

started to overcharge by 4 times even before the contract ended.

Same as many other here. Gexa started to overcharge me even before the contract was up. Did not inform me about any price increase or plan changes. Since I was on autopay I couldnt do anything until after 2 bills. I called customer service and they did not help (like others here). I cancelled and moved providers and got a good rate again. I did not want to pay my outstanding bill because they cheated. They sent the bill to collections and now I get robo calls everyday. Gexa is the worst company with deceptive business practices. I've complained with BBB as well and left 1 star review on Yelp as well and suggest others here to do the same. This company should not be allowed to do business with deceptive practices.

lack of customer service

I paid my deposit, and was told everything looked good and service would be connected i my name Feb 11, 2019.I have sent and resent documents to enrollment .[protected]@ gexaenergy.com 12 times each time im told crs would review and call me back . To begin with, I never received any notice that there was a hold, I simply didnt rec a bill in March which prompted me to call and find out why. I was told the previous tentant had a hold on the meter. and i needed to send in lease agreement and a copy of my ID. We are now in May, and again with out notice i have no power and had just went shopping. I have lost approximately 350., in groceries and 2 days work trying to my power restored. i hve been hung up on 4 times. and still have a refrigorator full of now wasted food, and no power. but you will want youir bill paid promptly an y family needs to survive. I can not take on another job. because your customer service agents. provide faulse information. . and dont want to attempt to look up an account . instead i get hung up on.

Billing errors and overcharges!

At the time my contract was up, the bill was lower. The bill remained lower for months and then I received BACK BILLING for hundreds of dollars billed at a rate almost TWICE the ESTABLISHED RATE. When I contacted customer service, the lady stated she couldn’t do anything but would have another representative call me. I waited for days to receive a cryptic email (not the promised call) which did not address the billing errors and the overcharges. I called the number and through two days of both email attempts and phone calls, I was never allowed to talk to a supervisor and only told that a supervisor had been emailed. The exact words of the only representative I was allowed to speak to were that he was “only the messenger”. I was offered a “courtesy” credit of less than half of the overcharges and a contract renewal. Obviously, all of my accounts are now established elsewhere. The unethical practices demonstrated throughout the process included: • CONSISTENT BILLING ERRORS over the period of four months. • The company “correcting” the billing errors at a rate almost TWICE the ESTABLISHED RATE. • NEVER PROVIDED THE NAME AND CONTACT INFORMATION of the OBSCURE “SUPERVISOR” who was the only one who could make decisions. • Brief emails were the norm for attempting to make the situation “go away” rather than a discussion of the company’s errors and an ethical means for correcting those errors. • A representative who was only the “messenger” by his own words, who felt the need to go on a rant about how he was not required to provide me information of what he discussed with his supervisor. • I was offered a SMALL DISCOUNT AS A “COURTESY” WITHOUT ANY STATEMENT OF THE TRUE INHERENT ERRORS COMPLETED OVER A PERIOD OF 4 MONTHS AND WAS TOLD TO PAY THE FULL BILL ANYWAY because that would take weeks. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AVOIDING THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS. I used them for years without a problem; however WHEN THERE IS A PROBLEM, EVEN IF IT IS THEIR FAULT, IT IS UNLIKELY THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SPEAK WITH ANYONE WHO HAS THE CAPACITY TO MAKE A DECISION. There are clearly ONGOING UNETHICAL AND HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE PRACTICES within Gexa operations.

variable rates

2/23/15 Today I spoke with a customer service representative (male) about signing on with their 6 month contract for electric service. He informed me that the information which they advertise on powertochoose.com was not correct. Even though the website shows the fix rate prices - its not correct. He explained that their prices change every month depending on how much kwh usage you consume. For every additional 100 kwh you use - the price goes up. I was very angered because as a consumer you will never know how much your bill will be every month since they change the rates on you. Basically you are at their mercy. And they do NOT HONOR THE RATES posted on powertochoose.com - they intentionally DECEIVE the public while binding you in a contract. Shady underhanded and manipulative. I pray a double curse of financial ruin upon this company.

Disconnect Notices

Don't be late even 2 days on your GEXA Energy bill because the system sends out a disconnect notice. After this 10 days to pay the bill from the print date. Yes, the print date printed on the bill, so really you have only 5 business days which means you can't rely on the mail to get it there on time. The really only option costs an additional 4.95...Not a company to do business with...

Rip off

GEXA is TERRRIBLE at customer service. I tried them for an introductory offer and have regretted it ever since! They quote you prices, then send you bills that are much higher, you call and they waste hours of your times trying to get you to stay longer on contract (DON'T DO IT!) ... They nickel and dime you on every conceivable charges, fees, surcharges, and BS thing that is legally allowed and when you call to ask why you have to pay three different providers (who are NOT green energy producers) when you thought you were getting Green Energy GEXA they all speak Greek to you. I have had it with these crooks ... I am leaving GEXA and NEVER looking back!

Highest rates

My electricity rates have been 13.35cents per KwH the highest probably around and not even renewable. Apart from this I have had monthly variable charges ranging from $38-$20 (no explanation - just says variable charge).

On top of this I have the Oncor fees. I have given my AA ff # on multiple occassions. But not a single mile has been added to my account for 5 yrs.

I finally decided to wake up and switch providers.

I have called them to understand the charges - but they have no explanation.

Please review all the charges carefully if you have GEXA as you might be paying significantly high rates for your electircity.

Oct 2008 to March 2009 rates were 19.8cents

From then on it has decreased a bit by bit and it is at 13.35cents now.

Ridiculous Fees

I called today to inquire about the nature of several charges from TNMP (TX New Mexico Power) on my bill that totalled $32.oo. The CS rep was rude and unknowledgeable. He kept pointing out that was the plan I had choen and was only able to spot legal jargon when I asked him to explain the charges. Finally I asked for a Supervisor (though he assured me the Supervisor would only tell me what he had. After almost 10 minutes on hold I hung up. I found what I needed on the internet instead (thank you Google).

Gexa is merely the retail provider of TNMP. One of the charges on my bill - the "Competition Transition charge" - is a charge for TNMP to be able to compete in the unregulated electrical industry, $3.00. TNMP was forced during the de-regulation to split into separate entities (a Distribution Facility and a Transmission Facility) for which I am charged two separate charges. The DF gets the bulk at $18.00, the TF gets $5.00. The total amount I am charged each month is roughly $33.00 in addition to my monthly usage by Gexa of .107 kw/h.

After comparing my bill with a co-workers I have decided NOT to renew my contract when it expires in December 2010. In fact, no TX electrical provider will ever get my business again. My co-worker's bill is from Spark Electric and she has only about $3.00 total in extra charges each month. Plus she pays a lower rate.

BTW, if you get disconnected you have to pay BOTH Gexa and TXNP fees related to that.

Billing

Gexa Energy is a scam, I placed an order for electric service but CANCEL my order before electric service was provided. The Rep at customer service inform me that she cancel the service order. Gexa Energy sent me a bill for $435.00 I was outraged and call Gexa Energy how can I be billed for service I never received. I spoke with several people including a manager and she insured me that it was a mistake and not to worry I do not owe anything. Well guess what !!! It is now on my credit report that I owe Gexa energy 435.00 . I have been disputing charges for over a year and they still appear on my credit report.

Do not call Gexa Energy they are scams.

Rate Hikes

DO NOT USE GEXA!! Gexa Energy is running a scam with their month to month rates and their customer service...

Price hikes

This ridiculous company hikes rates almost every month. A year ago when electricity was much more expensive...

Deceptive trade practices

Gexa Energy is engaged in deceptive trade practices relating to it's rates. Customers are being overcharged by as much as double without their knowledge. Gexa Energy should be fined and/or forced to reimburse customers who are not under contract. Gexa willfully failed to inform their customers of better rates available. They claim that they state any rate increase on their monthly bills BUT they fail (withhold) to inform customers of a LOWER RATE available on the same bill!!! They do send out a annual notice, but it has nothing to do with rates throughout the year. This MUST stop -- it's price gouging and competely unacceptable for a company to get away with.

Rich Apr 03, 2009

See www.gexa-gouges.com. There have been lots and lots of people gouged by these crooks. Crooks is the nicest word I have for these jerks. Did you know their CFO was one of the top guys at Enron? They learned how to get rich quick from the University of Enron!

What they do is give a competitive short term (6 or 12 month) contract rate. You miss the end of the contract term so they flip you to their "month-to-month" rate - without any notice of any kind. By the time you finally notice, they've hit you with several months that are double your previous rate. When you call, they reccomend a "meter read" that is done by Center Point. That gives them another month at the gouging rate. Then they take their time updating you about the results, so by the time you change to another vendor or plan, you have paid 3, 4, or 5 months at a gouging ripeoff rate.

Check out "Gexa Energy Savings". Let's use easy numbers and the same amount of power each month. Your contract rate was $0.11 per KWH and your normal bill is $220.00 a month for 2000 KWH. Your contract is for 6 or 12 months. Since you have auto pay you miss the date when your contract ends. (You may have assumed you would be contracted or the rate would be similar at contracts end. NOT!)

Since they don't notifiy you in any way, it takes about 3-4 months before you notice the gouge and your power is being billed at $0.21 or more per KWH. So you get 3 bills that are $420, or each about $200 more than the contract rate. So if they gouge for 3 months, that's about $600 extra bucks they gouge you for. If you had a 6 month contract plus 3 months gouge, that is an effective rate of $0.144 for the 9 months.

You just thought you had a competive rate of $0.11! They just made their fat profit on the other end of the contract and the Texas PUC lets them get away with it! Throw in a few disconnect fees because their billing system and now you really have a cash cow - your cash, their cow!

Price Gouging

I have been price gouged by Gexa Energy. I received my most monthly recent electric bill from Gexa to the...

Fraud and cheating

We were referred to Gexa by a friend who thought they were wonderful. When we signed up with them in June or July of 05 we asked for automatic bill deduction. We were told no problem, as for today August 06 so bills were late and we were even shut off a time or two.

My biggest complaint comes from the fact that they estimated our bill for a year then slapped us with a THREE THOUSAND DOLLAR PLUS bill for the make up. We called and at first their story was that TXU had estimated it for a year so they didn't know until their bill came in. So we called TXU and they said in their policy that they can't estimate a bill for more than six months. So we were lied to and almost disconnected because we did not have three thousand dollars to pay. We ended up having it broken up into four payments of almost a thousand dollars each month which is KILLING us as we have a new baby. To this day we have fighting them about late fees and such because we are doing payments instead of paying all that right away. We also still get disconnection notices and have to call about them each month. I have never had such a problem with ANY company. We had to skip a house payment over this.

gexacase Feb 19, 2009

I am an affected customer, and an attorney, and am speaking with law firms who handle class actions. I have reason to believe their price increases were unlawful. Please let me know if you're interested in getting involved. [email protected]

Rate Hikes Plus

I received the a bill at the highest rate for electricity from Gexa following Hurrican Ike that I have ever received. Worse still, natural gas prices have been coming down since June 2008 and are at a 5 year low when Gexa charged me their highest rate. I know why too - see www.gexa-gouges.com I am completely pissed off. How can a company become part of our community gouging customers like this? See www.gexa-gouges.com I have spent several days researching and I do not see any reason why Gexa is not subject to gouging laws like any other retail company. In particular, Gov Perry made it clear that gouging would not be tollerated in counties declaired disasters. I live in Harris county and got gouged by Gexa. My Nov bill last year about $445. This year, same company, just under $1000. I'm so mad I decided to make it my cause. See www.gexa-gouges.com

Outragious Rate Hikes

I've had enough. I'm fighting back. www.gexa-gouges.com

All I want is a business that does their job, charges a fair and competitive price, and does not have to be watch dogged to make sure they are not setting up and exploiting you.

I got gouged by them as well - over $0.21 per KWH last month when natural gas was at a 5 year low! I had a month to month plan expecting gas prices to drop (which they did big time) and electricity to follow. Gas did, Gexa Energy did not! There resoning - "You should have signed up for a fixed rate term contract". let's see... why would they be pushing me toward a fixed contract at a time when prices are freefalling? I'll bet it has something to do with future profits. Do you think? Last December my bill was $493. This year $1005 and last year I used MORE electricity!

They are perfectly willing to setup and exploit their customers. After many calls I've decided the only way to combat a predatory retail organization is through consumer activisim. I've documented my position at www.gexa-gouges.com

• Wa
    wabio Mar 02, 2009

They did the same thing with me. They nearly doubled my electricity rate...during a time when energy supply is up and demand is down. You don't see my cable, cell phone, or water bill double in one billing cycle do you? This is a downright dishonest business practice and should be outlawed. Needless to say, I dropped them like a bad habit...and if the next company tries something similar, I'll drop them too. If enough people do this, maybe these companies will get a freakin' clue. As for GEXA, they just went from making an "honest" $150 per month to $0 per month...and I will NEVER due business with them again. So it's a double whammy to them. From now on, GEXA gets no money from me...but instead, but their competitor now is!

Lizzie S Jul 31, 2019

How can I get out of my contract with GEXA I signed up for one year just to find out they signed me up for 3 years no idea how it happens my bill has been the highest I cannot get any explanation. Please help they charge $275 to cancel this company is a scam

Unethical Billing

What a total Scam. Im on the rate to rate plan, and paying 100% more than their competitors. When i inquired for them to justify the rate increases i have received, they gave me the run around and referred me to their terms sheet. What a total scam. The executives of this company should be ashamed of themselves. Not sure how they can sleep at night ripping off consumers. FP&L bought them several yrs ago, i had better expectations of them.

Rich Jan 13, 2009

Over charging/cancel agreements

GEXA ENERGY is a very poor company and the customer service staff are robots trained to repeat the same information. Unfortunately the main goal of Gexa is to bilch you out of as much as possible. After making an agreement for a payment plan a representative called to tell me it was all off and the plan should not have been made. What poor business practices. If you make a mistake you eat it. The first customer service rep. I talked too was not knowledgeable and left me on the line for an infinite number of minutes while I was waiting for a supervisor who never got on the line. I hung up. Called back got another rep. male this time nicer but still a robot.

Gexa was at fault but one can tell these drones sit in a booth with a computer screen repeating what they are programmed to say regardless of the situation. NO PERSONAL SERVICE AVAILABLE HERE!

Gexa comes on with an offer of low kilowatt hours but goes up immediately. BEWARE!

After being with Gexa 4 years I am actively seeking another company who at least has some real human beings on the other side of the phone. I do plan to report all details to the better Business Bureau as well as rhe Public Utilities Comission [protected].

I can't go into all the details of my dissatisfaction but GEXA IS A PUBLIC UTILITY NIGHTMARE! The business practices are so poor its incredible!

Gexa Corporate Office
20 Greenway Plaza, Suite 600
Houston, Texas 77046

I wonder if corporate really understands what their customers experience. I doubt it and I will see if they really care. I doubt it. Just another GREEDY CORPORATION like the MADoff's of the world.

Don't bother to call customer service. You'll see if you call they all repeat the same script.

It's a shame all these power companies and customers still are victims of a system that fails to monitor these utility crooks!

STAY AWAY FROM GEXA! You've been warned they are deathly!

Rich Jan 13, 2009

• Al
    alan thomas Feb 12, 2009

So I'm not alone in being part of the Gexa "Robbery with Silence" marketing program courtesy of the offices of the Gexa Gougers
    I would like to join Rich in his attempts at Consumer Activism, but the 'e'mail address on www.gexa-gouges.com doesn't seem to function.
    One thing his site taught me was that Gexas had changed the
    "Offering" code seven (7) times on my bills!! I have never received any offers other than the original in July 2006. This may not amount to fraud, but it certainly sounds very deceptive.
    I am also curious if they can justify their vast price discrimination, an area worth pursuing.
    Sassenach

Lizzie S Jul 31, 2019

I am I have been scammed these are the highest electricity bills I have ever had to pay

Lizzie S Jul 31, 2019

Dear all; how can I get out of my contract with GEXA I have been scammed and have had enough... I signed up for one year just to find out they sign me up for 3 and my bill is to the roof there is no breakdown to help explain the charges. Please advise what options do I have ? you cannot trust these thieves

Bait & Switch Rates

Signed up with Gexa because they had a very low energy/electricity rate. After a few months of service the rate continued to soar for no reason. Natural Gas and oil prices (major factor in electricity pricing) are way down yet my energy price continues to rise. I am now at 21 cents a kilowatt hour a full 10 cents above a normal rate. I call and they say it is due to the hurrican???? What I can change to any other company and pay almost half - so I did. Gexa is a rip off stay away from this company. Not only do they steal your money it takes FOREVER to get ahold of anyone at the company.