Dish Networkcan no longer watch because of high-bandwidth digital content protection

This morning I woke to view my Showtime and HBO programs I had recorded last night. Only I found that not only can I not watch anything that I have recorded on these two networks but anything I recorded on TMC and Flix also. Then I tried to watch any of these network channels live and I am blocked out with this High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection. I went to my system info and I am turned on to receive this High band width Digital Content Protection. So I am missing about 40 channels. I tried watching them on the alternative unHD choice and I could not do that either. Dish network acted surprised and after transferring me to a "Higher Technician" I was told I would have to install a component cable ($10). Looking on the internet I learned that this cable is of lesser quality reception. What is going on here? Did these Cable companies not inform Dish of this problem or is there more here that meets the eye. I am outraged that as a paying customer to these companies that they so disregard their valued (?) customers. On their websites I find no contact info to file a complaint.

• Updated by MikeL DISH · Nov 06, 2012

Dish????,

I saw your post and would be happy to help with that as I can understand your frustration! What type of cable connection are you using right now? Is it an HDMI? What package(s) do you subscribe to? Have you recently made any changes to your account? What I strongly encourage you to do is private message your account number to me so I can take a look at everything in order to optimally assist you with this. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to hearing from you to get this resolved!

• Updated by [email protected] Network · Nov 07, 2012

Hello there!

I'm sorry for any frustration and confusion experienced. The High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection is set by the channels themselves. We are aware about the HDCP on some premium channels. This is to protect their shows from being recorded and re-sold. Most newer TV's nowadays have HDCP built in, though some of the older ones do require the component cables because of the lesser quality. If you have any other questions, let me know here or at [email protected]!

Tommy Faust
    DISH Social Media Representative

• Li
    Lindajune Mar 26, 2013

It's ridiculous that I am being punished for having an older tv (two years old). Canceling hbo after over a decade of watching. I can barely afford your service, let alone a new tv. You suck, hbo.