Complaints & Reviews

misinformation in pamphlet!

Pamphlet provided by Dish states "two-room DVR No extra fees. First bill has charge for DVR fee." Dish agent on-line apologized for misinformation and ended chat session. I am still billed for DVR fees.

Beware people!

• Em
    Emily Gibson May 24, 2007

I cancelled my service with Dish Network and gave them a month's notice. I told them that I would be moving out on March 1st. Dish network agreed to send a box to return the dish prior to the March 1st move. The box never came, then in April they deducted an unauthorized $300 from my account. When I call support they said that they had sent the box out on the 5th, but would send our another box. I waited three more weeks; when the second box did not come, I called once more. This time the support person stated that she would send out a return label via e-mail within the next 24 hours. Needless to say, it has been over 24 hours and nothing has arrived. Where do I go to file a complaint. I live in Delaware and would appreciate any suggestions.

• Te
    terry h Jul 03, 2007

In there pamphlet in small letters it says they do charge a certain dollar a month fee for the use of the dvr. I have been with them over 1o years u have to read the fine print. The box itself is free but the service is not there just telling u no extra fees installing the box. It is a pretty gray area on some of there writing info. Always check there website for the best information. If u cancel there service of the dvr they will shut that part of it down so u cant use it and sometimes there customer service is a big headache to. just call there phone # and tell them that i never got anywhere with there chat line thing. Good luck!

• Ba
    Babu Aug 27, 2007

Dish network customer service sucks ! They don't value customers who are going out...

I was moving out of my apartment and dish network cannot setup in my new apartment. So, I need to do the following to help us from early termination fee.

1. I need to call four retailers to get a "customized special installation". At least two should say it is not possible after checking my apartment and then hopefully my early termination fee will be deducted. and yeah... dish will take care of up to 80 bucks for the charges.

2. I need to get my old dish removed by myself ! I need to have the "eye" with me in case if I get canceled else, I will get an early fine for that (may be 900 as mentioned here)

BTW, I can ignore wires as it is of no use for them and me.

I have decided to try this and lets c how it goes... will update here how it went... But anyway, I decided not to use dishnetwork from here afte completing my 18 months contract !

Dish sucks and people should know what they are getting into before they start dish.

Go down dish!
    cheers,
    Babs

angela michelle chalmers Aug 30, 2007

i ordered service with dish 3 weeks ago, and ordered online, it was not made clear to me that there was a third party involved, called all SAT i believe? and no one told me there was a 18 month agreement, there was also a special going on 19.99 a month. and that's what caught my eye, cheaper than cable! so then i was also told the 49.99 deposit covers the first month rent,it would be a couple of months before i received a bill right? so my card was charged immediately then 1 week later i get a bill for 60.00. i am a single mother of two, am on a fixed income and can only afford so much, so also the tv in my living room never worked properly, and also the channels the Internet said was included, were not i found out, i had to pay extra for certain ones, even after them telling me that channel was included,
    after them sending me a bill due within 1 week i called them and told them i cant afford but the extra 49.99 deposit that was already sent, and i cant send another 60 in 1 week they said that covers the next two months bill, i told them that is what was said about the 49.99 deposit, now, i canceled my service even after being charged $50 and they told me i will be charged $500 since i had an agreement, what?! unfortunately my bank account is now charged has insufficient funds negative 200+ dollars and i am as of this weekend going to find shelter for me and my kids to go to because i will eventually get put out, i cant catch up my rent , don't make to much more money for that, and they will continue to deduct from my account even after only having service for no more than 3 weeks. this unfortunately happened the week of rent being due. please all single mothers, and/or family living pay check to pay check do not use this service. i was tricked lied to and now in debt and about to be homeless.

• Ga
    Gary Jacobs Aug 31, 2007

I have had the same experience. Signed up on-line and have screen shots showing what I would pay monthly. My bill is now $35 more per month!!! No one at Dish Network can give me a valid reason for the difference. Some one needs to take this company down.

• Km
    km57mexyahoocom Jan 26, 2008

I work for AT&T residential, we sell Dish Network combined in our bill, here in California,
    Daily i get customer asking about the 19.99,, it just a scam.

1)Get it right, this is not offered by DishNetwork, BUT by resellers (plural) , please pay attention to the names on the flyers or article/adds, example "Dish TV" , "Dish Family TV" ect ect- NEVER DishNetwork or Direct Tv directly, Vendors aka Resllers, these are flyers or Pennysaver or newspaper

2) Since they resell, the work on commission or items sold, hence they are misrepresent items, hide taxes additional fee,, Why? - Simply, there are flight by night vendor here today, gone (with your $) tomorrow

3)Basic TV for Dishnetwork is Dish FAmly ( 40 channel 19.99 & local 5.00= 24.99, & 1 dual tuner (1 box, 2 remotes) included.
    As far as i know DishNetwork is the ONLY one to carry DUAL Tuners, saving to spend addtional for the 2 room

4) additional equipt 1 single tuner for a 3rd bedroom or dual tuner for a 3rd & 4th is 5.00 extra,, Pay attention, if it is not connected to a working telephone jack you may pay addtional 5.00 ( 5 +5=10.00 for 3rd/4th bedroom,) so plugged it in a jack

5)In spanish " lo barrato sale caro" , translation " the cheaper the item, the costlier in the long run",, If your tight/scrooger/miser you will fall into these scam,, but suggestion pay the right price because after all for your entertainment and fun, it work it, you'll pay more going to the movies twice per month, after the concession stand, turn you upside and shake out all the money , you be filing chapter 11,, hahaha

• Li
    lisa79 Jan 28, 2009

I was sent a flyer today saying $19.99 and showing Americas top 100. I filed a complaint on them today with www.bbbonline.com It's GREAT! Use this website for ALL complaints. I called about the americas top 100 and the great price plus free 4 room installation, 5 premium channels for a penny etc but boy was I wrong! They are two different packages and not clarified as two seperate deals. The $19.99 is for 40 channels not including local I was furious for wasting my time with them. The Americas top 100 was over $50.00 with taxes and surcharges =/ What is funny is they tried sticking me with a $200.00 charge due to my credit! Okay, I don't see how me paying 12 months in advance would matter? I wanted to do this so i can pay in full every year around income tax time.. I'm going with directv I think. they said if I call custoimer service and explain they should remove the $200.00 fee :)

[Resolved] false advertising, wrong billing, poor customer service

I had a similar experience with the Dish Network. The salesman for Dish told me we had 60 days to cancel with...

problems with dish network satellite by wildblue!

Before signing-up for Dish Network High-Speed Satellite Internet by Wild Blue, read this... Just the fact...

charging after cancellation and no refund!

I canceled Dish Network 0n March 14, 07, at the end of my contract, I was then billed on autopay the next month (April). I called to let them Know what happened and that they withdrew the money from a closed bank account. Now, there is also a 35.00 overdraft fee. They apologized and said they would reverse the fee. Forward to May 5. 07. Still no credit on my account, so I called them back... First they couldn't find my account, next (after they found it) they showed no charges after March 1. After I gave them my bank reference number they again apologized and said they found it, and that the reversal was still pending (the rep. didn't know why) but he was going to click a button to push it through for the amount of the withdrawal. I then asked about the bank overdraft fee that was charged and if that was also reversed, since it was their error. (They charged a closed bank account) The rep. told me no, even though Dish Network messed up and owned up to the mistake, it is their policy not to refund fees that might be incurred due to their errors (is that legal?). What a company, huh? Must be great being able not to pay for your mistakes. I wonder if I'm also going to have to call back next month to remind them to click submit for my refund...

Probably... I f you are considering a satellite t.v. service, consider elsewhere!

• De
    Deepak Khanna May 21, 2007

I called dish network customer care 27th April 2007 and fix up an appointment for installing the dish at my home. At that time they spoke to me in very friendly way. They even took us $50 as an installation charges in advance. Later on we decided to cancel the the account and I called the customer desk and ask them to cancel my account. He did cancel the account and told that it will take 3-4 days to refund the amount back to my bank and if I don't get the money in 7 days then call them back. But the money did not get transfered to my account even after 7 days, so I called them back and spoke to one of there customer executive about the status, she replied she don't have any information but she will again process to cancel my account and told that it will take yet another 7 days. I asked her why she don't have any information that what had happened to my money, she said she just don't. I asked her to give me any contact information for the concern department who have that information she said she even don't have that and she bang the PHONE DOWN. It was just a RUDE and TERRIBLE BEHAVIOR from the CUSTOMER CARE EX of DISH NETWORK that I could never think off.

MY ADVICE DON'T GO WITH DISH NETWORK, they are WORST. DISH NETWORK IS WORST.

[Resolved] victory in court against dish network

Follow up in California. Sue Dish through their agent of process, Corporation Service Company dba CSC-Lawyer...

horrendous customer service!

I was an unfortunate customer of Dish Network for about 6 months last year, and the ordeal has still not...

dish network providing your info to blockbuster

I recently signed up with DISH Network. During a routine follow-up call by DISH I was offered free coupons for Blockbuster Online which were to be emailed to me. I received the coupons but did not act on them. About 1 month later I noticed a charge to my credit card by Blockbuster Online. Dish Network had signed me up for Blockbuster Online service without my approval. Secure information such as my credit card info, password questions, etc were provided to Blockbuster. This was confirmed during a call with Blockbuster Online. They credited me the amount right away and cancelled my account. The rep said that I am not the first one who was involuntarily signed up by Dish Network.

• Ay
    Ayal Rosenthal Mar 07, 2007

I think part of the problem is that Blockbuster is a rip-off.

dishonorable business practices

(I've sent this to the BBB, Attorney General's office and a few newspapers. I want to get the word...

suspicious person

I wanted to add more channels to my Dishnetwork, I had a very professional and wonderful person (Brian) to our house he told us we needed a new Dish so we could get National Geographic, since our Dish is on the roof it could not be done since we had lots of snow on the roof. We rescheduled for another day, January 29, 2007 another person came to our house he did not introduce himself, he drove a white GMC pick-up truck with no name on it, but what really made me suspicious there was no license plate, not on the front nor on the back, just a plate that said Moras Auto Sales, he made me feel extremely uncomfortable. He asked me what's wrong I explained to him that I would like to get the National Geographic Channel he looked at me kind of puzzled and I ask him if anybody talked to him why he is coming, I said you are supposed to be the expert that's why I called. I felt very uncomfortable around him I called my husband to come home while this young fellow was at our house. Needless to say we still had snow on the roof and I would not want him to get hurt. I just want to make sure that I do not want that person to come to my house in the future, hopefully we can add some more channels in the near future.

ripped me off for a total of $ 504.00

A sales person representing dishnet called me and so I decided to sign up. I asked her repeatedly if there...

repeated unauthorized charges

About six months ago, my son and daughter-in-law discovered they had unauthorized PPV charges (adult movies) on their statement. This had happened several months in a row and weren't noticed because the bill was received and paid electronically (lesson learned -- always check your statement/charges). Anyway, they called DISH customer service and told them they didn't purchase the movies and was told that they HAD to have made the purchases. My dau-in-law told them over and over that the charges were on dates/times that they weren't even home and on one occasion they were even out of town! After going through several customer service reps and their supervisors they finally agreed to remove "some" of the charges but would not give them credit for all of them. DISH reps advised my dau-in-law to set up a code so this could not happen again. Since that time, my dau-in-law has set up a code so that ANY PPV movie purchased would have to have the code entered. Well, now another PPV charge has appeared on her bill and SHE is the only one that knows the code; even my son doesn't know it! So, she called them again, explaining what happened, and they told her that because she had set-up the code she "agreed to not dispute any charges". WHAT??!! Needless to say she was very upset. She talked to the reps supervisor and bottom line is they basically called my dau-in-law a liar.

Something MUST be done about all of the unauthorized charges that are appearing on customers' statements. This is wrong!! And when you call to complain and/or try to get something straightened out you are treated horribly; nobody deserves to be treated that way.....especially when they are purchasing services from the company. Whatever happened to "customer service"?

• Je
    Jeff Snodgrass Dec 14, 2006

The exact same thing described above just happened to me. It was maddening and I had a horrible experience with DISH reps and supervisors. They basically wouldn't believe me that I hadn't authorized the charges. They said that since they were called in from the phone they HAD to have been made by me. But I didn't do so and I live alone. I don't like being called a liar and a thief by company reps that find it impossible to admit the possibility of a billing error on their part or a hacker billing things to my account.

• Valerie Jan 22, 2007

Where do I go from here? I have a $600 charge to my debit card, I called Dish and got the run-around, I called my bank and got the there's not much we can do for you. In the mean time, I have NSF's all over town. Now, Dish told me that if I had their service turned back on that I would receive a refund minus the service reconnect. All the while, I'm getting NSF's in my bank account. I finally received the refund several days later (after threatening to call a lawyer), but I still have all the NSF's. What now? No, I did not have auto-pay. How can they just go into your account and withdraw funds without your permission.

• Li
    L Ibarra Oct 29, 2007

I had a PPV channel come up before I even decided to purchase it I called right away and asked the representative to lookup that PPV and he stated that he could not even see the charges on there and that he would make a note that it would not be charged but of course it was. So when I called to have it removed they gave me the runaround I even spoke to a supervisor who said that they could not remove any PPV charges due to corporate policy and I had to write or email there was no # OF COURSE now I want to cancel and switch to Direct TV.

• Br
    brenda kikkert Dec 04, 2007

i ordered dish and the rep i got took the fees out to soon and caused my bank account to be overdrawn and he was to call back last night and tonight but i had to hunt him down and told him to refund all charges plus the overdraft fees because he did not listen i think a lawsuit should be estblished against them for the stuff they do they do not do very good reps at all

• Cl
    c.lewis Jun 26, 2008

I have recently had the same problem with dish network. I called them after I received my first bill on the Internet. I notice that there was a lot of charges for adult movies that I know we couldn’t have ordered, because the lady who I called to talk to about my dish going out about a week after I had it said that I should place locks if I have kids. She helped me do that and I only placed them on their TV because they only watch our TV for family nights. Well I called in to let them know if they could check into it and I was informed that someone had to have ordered them and nothing could be done but pay for the PPV ordered. I explained to her that I never had that issue with DirecTV when I was with them for almost 10yrs and I also never ordered ppv. She told me that someone had to have ordered it. I explained to her that I wanted to cancel my service after only having it for one month and she said well you will have to pay a disconnection fee and/or early termination fee for leaving the contract early. I advised her that I didn’t care and I would look into getting a lawyer because of the fraudulent mess going on. I have a Christian household and my husband and me have never ever ordered ppv, certainly not adult ppv. They told me that I had to have my phone line connected or they would charge me 5 dollars a month and now I know why they want you to have it added so these outrageous charges could continue. If I find one more charge after I have called them Monday then I will get a lawyer because I advised them that absolutely no one could order any movies with our remotes and anyone trying too would have to call in with my set pin to do so. My husband don’t even know that pin so in the future there shouldn’t be any more charges and if so I will be writing again and getting a lawyer. Something needs to be done for services that scam people like this. They are no more that thieves and they are being protected.

my experiences with dishnetwork has been a nightmare

My experiences with Dishnetwork has been a nightmare. I have spoken to customer service untill I'm blue...

weeks of no service

After spending 6 years with Dish, working with a young company in the early years, forgiving their mistake...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices