Delta Skymilesscam alert

L Review updated:

Dont waste your time with Delta Skymiles! They make it seem so simple when it is not. You still have to pay no matter how many miles you have accumulated. First off, I did not have enough Skymiles in my account so my husband gave me some of his. It cost an initial $30 then $10 per 1, 000 miles. I ended up paying $70 total. The I found out that I cannot pay for partial tickets with Skymiles but, through a "special" promotion, I could apply for a American Express card and be able to pay for some of the ticket with my earned Skymiles. The remaining balance would have to be put on the American Express card. Then, I was told that the amount of miles I needed to fly to the same place but maybe on different days could cost me more Skymiles depending on the day. One day it was 25k for a 2hr flight and the next day it was 32k. Also they told me that if I changed my mind about using my Skymiles after I booked, that there would be a "restocking" fee of $100. No matter what you do with your Skymiles, you will end up paying a fee. Skymiles is such a joke!

• Cu
    curlytop Aug 09, 2009

I'm beginning to discover the same thing. Very disappointing, and a sure-fire way to drive me to use a different airline. A breach of trust between a company and its customers is not cool.

• Jr
    jrm12392 Sep 15, 2010

Delta skymiles redemption value is 4 to 5 times LESS than what they charge you to buy them. Buying skymiles with cash in order to have enough to book a trip is a total rip-off. That's why you can't pay for a portion of your trip with miles, and the rest with cash. Be very careful. Don't use skymiles unless you have enough to cover your trip. Just buy the itinerary outright with cash and save the miles for that vacation next year! Skymiles is really a marketing scam...

SAJ394 Mar 20, 2019

I had the same experience. I gifted over $27, 000 miles to my husband so he could use his points to buy a combined 3 tickets. It ended up costing us $300 for a $250 ticket. I complained and got it reversed but this is a complete scam. Under what circumstance would this be a good idea for anyone other than Delta??