Dairy Queenno hand washing before preparing food

Today may 27 2009 At the DQ (Dairy Queen) in Perth Ontario, Canada.
My guests and I had the unpleasant experience of having a food preparer prepare our hot dogs with out first washing her hands after handling cash at the register. As she was preparing our food we mentioned the non had washing and was curtly ignored. Her attitude went from consumer friendly to consumer acidic and we were given the impression that they did not care and were not concerned with our opinions about personal cleanliness while handling foods. We promptly canceled our orders and went to the Wendy's Restaurant down the road for out treats instead. I will be thinking twice about going to this DQ again.

Aside from personal parts in a public washroom, money is the next dirtiest thing that one can handle in a restaurant and has been tested and found to have fecal matter on it among other things at any given moment. Next to not washing your hands the handling of money is the next biggest culprit for passing germs and disease between people in our society. Furthermore;

I personally do not mind if food preparers at restaurants have touched my food before I have to eat it, as long as they have washed their hands before said preparation of foods begins. This simple process of cleanliness should be second nature to people who handle food for a living, and when it is not it may indeed be a direct reflection of the poor quality of service one can expect from a restaurant that does not train their employees to comply with basic food preparation and health standards. Those little plastic gloves are the worst idea ever in fast food chains. Once an employee puts them on they think they can touch everything with them on. Take notice next time you have a sandwich made how many things are touched when a food preparer is wearing a pair of said gloves. Makes you not want to eat any food anywhere at any time. In my opinion Hand Washing is the best practice, this way at least you can be some what assured that germs and dirt are not being transfer to your food on a regular basis.

• Mo
    morghan3 Nov 13, 2009

I understand that money is really dirty, but i think when you go to a fast food restaurant you have have much lower expectations. At places where food is dirt cheap and the employees get paid minimum wage, i think your expectations are way too high. I work at a fast food restaurant. We are required to wash our hands when we arrive and after using the restroom or dealing with trash but that's it. We constantly go back and forth between taking orders/money and making food. Especially during rushes when we deal with impatient customers, doing this could mean washing hands more than five times in ten minutes, which would take time and make customers angry.