CyberDefenderDon't use

I downloaded cyberdefender from a freeware site (Yea - I know, you get what you pay for). I ran it and it found lots of problems that windows livecare didn't. However, this freeware only identifies "problems". You have to register and pay to remove these mysterious problems. Here's where it gets fun. If you decline to pay, it becomes a "virus warning" popup. I tried to uninstall but it didn't work. But boy that popup sure was working! I tried to remove it in control panel add/remove programs and that wouldn't work. Finally I went into program files and removed all files and folders that it would let me remove. I was able to disable the program so that it's not *** me off every 30 seconds, but it took an hour of diligent folder searching, etc. To get rid of it. It seems to me that cyberdefender antivirus is just plain vindictive when you decline to buy the software.

• Updated by CYDE_SUPPORT · Oct 26, 2010

Dear Lorna,

We thank you for bringing up your concerns regarding CyberDefender's Early Detection Center 3.0 Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware Internet-Security Suite. It seems like you might be having some trouble with the software and uninstalling. You mentioned that the Product "is not working anymore." What sort of problems or errors are you encountering? We're certain that whatever problem you're facing, we can resolve it absolutely.

You're encouraged to call our Customer Relations toll-free number at [protected], Option 1, and from there our representatives can begin to help straightaway.

However, in-depth software uninstall instructions are available at our site, and may be viewed by visiting the link below:

Please do not hesitate to call with any concerns or issues.

Sincerely,
    CyberDefender Customer Relations

• Updated by CyberDefender · Oct 07, 2010

Arthur 4681,
    I would like to thank you for opinions and inform you that CyberDefender is a user friendly company. If you would be so kind as to contact us directly we will be more than happy to look into your concerns and provide a feasible solution. You have been contacted with where you can send your contact information so that I can review and resolve all concerns. Please take the time to provide
    * The email address used to set up the account
    * A direct telephone number where you can be reached
    * The best time to contact you
    I assure you once this information has been provide you will hear from me promptly .
    CyberDefender Customer Relations

• Updated by CyberDefender · May 25, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at [protected] or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

• Aj
    A J C Apr 05, 2012

I was charged on my debit card $39.98 to dri*doublemyspeedregnow.com/c mn, a charge I never authorized. How do I get my money back?

• Ra
    ranmo2002 Mar 01, 2012

I am having the same problems as some above are mentioning. It like the holding me hostage. I have to go through them to get on my yahoo web page even though I haven't bought anything through them yet just download them and my clean pc for a free diagnoses. It like my problems can't be fix unless i go thru them.

Cyber Chris Oct 10, 2011

Hi, my name is Chris. I’m a representative from CyberDefender Customer Service. If you have any questions or concerns about CyberDefender products—including MaxMySpeed.com, DoubleMySpeed.com, and MyCleanPC.com—feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Chris

Jackson2222 Jul 08, 2011

Still have the problem of a Cyber Registry screen pop up each time my pc is turned on...right click on the CyberDefender toolbar logo to get rid of it...I cannot find the program on My Computer Add/delete programs. I know the date it was loaded, but it does not appear as any of the programs. By the way, I too, declined to pay for their services!

• xmarine501 Jul 03, 2011

Good news for CYBERDEFENDER users !!! CYBERDEFENDER to pay out $9, 750, 000

Please review the information below. If you have any questions regarding the information below, please do not contact CyberDefender. Instead, please call one of the numbers identified below [protected] or [protected]).

In the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois

Thurman, et. al v. CyberDefender Corporation, Case No. 11 CH 16779

YOU MAY BE A MEMBER OF A CLASS ENTITLED TO A PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT IF YOU PURCHASED CYBERDEFENDER CORPORATION’S SOFTWARE AND/OR SERVICES MARKETED UNDER ITS OWN NAME OR UNDER OTHER BRAND NAMES SUCH AS, WITHOUT LIMITATION, MAXMYSPEED.COM, DOUBLEMYSPEED.COM, MYCLEANPC.COM, AND/OR ANTISPYWAREFORDUMMIES.COM.

A Court authorized the email of this Notice.
    This is not a solicitation from a lawyer. You are not being sued.

· A class action lawsuit is pending against CyberDefender Corporation (“CyberDefender”). That lawsuit arises from what Plaintiffs contend was the improper design, marketing and sale of CyberDefender’s computer software products and services. CyberDefender denies all claims. Nevertheless, to avoid the time, expense and distraction of litigation, Plaintiffs and CyberDefender have agreed to a settlement of this class action lawsuit (the “Settlement”). The Settlement has been preliminarily approved by a court in Chicago, Illinois, though you need not be a resident of Illinois to be entitled to relief under or bound by the Settlement.

· The Settlement will provide cash payments, as explained below, to residents of the United States who purchased one or more of CyberDefender Corporation’s (“CyberDefender”) software and/services on or before June 21, 2011.

· The Settlement also provides that CyberDefender will make certain disclosures to consumers with respect to its software and services. In addition, the Settlement provides that CyberDefender will continue to adhere to its refund policies.

anonymouslass May 26, 2011

My computer was running slow and I couldn't figure out why.So I thought I would call mycleanpc.com for help. After paying the $40.00, I got a pop up telling me to call their phone number for tech support. after 30 mins of waiting and watching while they scanned my computer, they called back and said they could fix all my problems for $250.00. One of my friends was here at the time, and said not to do it. I was hesitating, as I only paid $350.00 for my laptop, and didn't understand why it was so much money to fix. shortly after getting off the phone with them, my computer froze up completely. I ended up doing a restore point which seems to have worked to get rid of their software. I think I will cancel my credit card so I don't get any 'surprise' charges like others here have experienced. Bottom line...AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!

• He
    Henry H. May 13, 2011

They (CyberDefender) has totally screwed my computer up... to the point I am not sure it can be fixed/put back like it was... My advice to anyone even thinking of using them... Run away Fast!!! One of their guys totally wiped out my computer and none of them knows how to fix it.. I will be complaining to the BBS about them... Besides being a Rip-off, they will totally screw up your computer!!!

• Fr
    Frank Truth May 01, 2011

People who claim Cyberdefender is a good program are paid shills working for Cyberdefender. The program is malware and a virus. It will infect your computer and cause your hard drive to crash wiping out all your files. I learned the hard way. BEWARE!!!

• Su
    SuzyJQP Apr 29, 2011

I can only endorse the many problems and complaints outlined by others. I installed the program, and the problems began. (I had no problems with my computer before I did.) I couldn't get responses from them, couldn't get help, couldn't get a refund, and had to pay a local service $80 to rectify the damages caused by the program. DO NOT download the software or pay for their technical support.

• St
    Starranger Apr 18, 2011

Any company that has to promote itself by stating without giving examples "Even if you have anti-virus software installed you still may be at risk" in constant late night tv commercials is suspicious from the get-go, in my opinion. Then, all of the so-called success stories are given by actors who look like they barely know what a keyboard is. Even if the software is decent, which I doubt because of the "strong arm" tactics people are complaining about, I wouldn't use it because there are many alternatives available from companies who don't do such marketing tactics.

• Ga
    Gael4ce Apr 04, 2011

They are a SCAM.

I paid for their "service". Their first tech did nothing but actually screw my computer up worse! First he downloaded malware bytes to my system (which I already had on there) ran a scan with it (which I do two-three times a week) and found nothing. Surprise. Then he did some random stuff in Windows proper, and now my computer no longer accepts any cookies from any sites. The browser settings are to permit cookies from approved sites, the sites are still there, the setting is good, but it won't do it. So now I can't access my bank's page at all since they require cookies.

They did NOT fix the hanging problems the computer was having - it became worse. I called demanding a refund. The chickie at their billing promised me she'd have a tech manager call me. I got some 20 year old who said his manager told him to call. He screwed around for a bit, said he'd have to research it and that he'd get back to me. Then I got an email from him that he was off for two days and would get back to me when he returned.

He never did. So I called wanting a refund again, and at this point I'm told they have a ten day limit on refunds. How convenient of them not to mention this earlier, eh? How convenient that their tech had to "research" the problem and then took a few days off, isn't it?

RIP OFF RIP OFF RIP OFF. I will be contacting my credit card company and filing a fraud complaint.

CyberInsider Apr 01, 2011

Hello all this is the CyberInsider2011 again quick tip on the website you can now talk direct with the Techs that work on the PC's here are the rules tho. 1: they can not go right to work on your PC's they can only give you a status update and your PC currently being worked on or set up a connection to get you PC ready to be worked on. 2: They can not give you a refund or tell you anything about billing you will have to call in for that. This is great for all of you that hate to be on hold for 1hr + trying to get threw on the phone this may help. Again is you have any questions you can email me at [email protected] i was a former employee and still have friends on the Inside i hold no grudges and will tell it like it is.

Jan_Porter Mar 27, 2011

*****WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE***** AVOID AT ALL COSTS********* The last 3 months have been a nighmare going from bad to worse. The technicials were initially helpful. Then when I had to call them daily for the blue screen of death. I experience no customer service. They will initial a remote session and then state they are transfering to another technician, then 4 hours later still no help. When the computer experiences the blue screen of Death again I start all over. After 2 hours of waiting for another technicial support person, I am on the phone again to India on hold for 1 hour and 23 minutes as I type, while they attempt to get a Sr. Technician on line again...

• Al
    Allwomanhere Mar 18, 2011

TOTAL WASTE, DIDN'T SPEND MY MONEY, GLAD I DIDN'T. NOW IT'S MOVED IN MY COMPUTER AND IS PAYING
    RENT, I WANT IT EVICTED!!!

• Pj
    pj2374 Mar 04, 2011

Cyberdefender IS A SCAM! For one, this software does NOT clean up your computer, but once purchasing it, they make sure to dip back into your bank account and charge you again and again when it so calls "expires". I actually had to buy a new computer 2 months after I purchased Cyberdefender because it seemed to run a lot slower. Now here I am one year later being charged for the software again. I called and spoke with someone about getting a refund and all I got was someone in some far off third-world country that kept giving me the run around, telling me that I could simply give one of my friends or family members the software if I no longer wanted it, but I couldn't get the operator to offer me a refund in any way shape or form. I asked to speak to a manager and the response was, "Could I ask why you want to speak to a manager?" After arguing the point for 30 minutes, I was finally transferred to somebody else that said the same exact things…"I could give the software to one of my friends or family members since I no longer own that computer." (Still NO refund at this point) After arguing the point with this person for another 30 minutes, I was finally told that they would cancel my account and send me a refund that would take 10 days to arrive in my bank account. She also made sure to tell me in a very rude tone of voice that MY COMPUTER IS NO LONGER PROTECTED! Do yourself a favor and buy PC Protection Software at your local electronics store and stay away from these types of offers you hear on the radio.

• Ro
    roget Mar 01, 2011

could be the greatest scam ever!
    if you wish to get taken, at least take the month by month payment option LOL
    once you sign up your computer will work better but a couple months down the line, it may take weeks and untold hours for them to try to get it fixed. you have already paid, so why should they care...
    your computer will get taken down again by a 'competitor'
    bill gates/microsoft created the problem?
    and now you will be charged to solve/fix the problem

• Wi
    William123456 Mar 01, 2011

contact:
    the National Consumers League, the network that airs the commercial (Clean My PC), the BBB, Your attorney Generals office for your state, CNET who claims it's good (and this is the second time they gave me bad info!)
    Your credit card company and deny charges (within 30 days). the FTC...and complain, do not allow them to get away with this!

• Wi
    William123456 Mar 01, 2011

It's true! I was scammed too...they did nothing I paid for and now will not answer the phone to get my money back!

CyberInsider Feb 16, 2011

If anyone wants to know what Cyberdefender is all about email me [email protected] or join me on facebook i will give you all the inside info as an Ex-Technician.

• La
    Launch_Pad_McQuack Jan 20, 2011

I'm actually a tech for Cyberdefender. Don't ask who I am because I won't tell. Yes we are US based in Los Angeles and yes we do have live, experienced techs. A lot of what you all are saying have some pretty valid points about the way CD does business, but the end result is what really matters. I have been a PC repair technician since '97. I've actually owned my own PC repair business until last year when I became a victim of the economy. With that said, day in and day out I repair peoples computers whose knowledge of computers never exceeded Windows 95. I'm not saying this to be cruel, but I'm constantly bombarded with "You crashed my computer" or "I purchased this computer 6 years ago brand new and I just don't understand why it's running so slow" and "RAM, what's that, you guys are just trying to get extra money from me". I usually try to explain the price of the package. You pay about $300 for unlimited 1 yr support, let me say that again $300 for unlimited 1 yr support!!!. When I ran my own business. I charged no less that $100/hr bench hours (A severely infected computer would take up to 2 hours for removal) for malware, virus removal. One shot. If you infected your computer again within a month, that's another $100/hr . Now within a month you have already spent $200-$400 and 2-4 days of not having your system. You do the math. The remote technical support (You're not really paying for the software, it's the Tech support that you are paying for hence the price) is more convenient, cheaper and you do not have to lug your PC/Laptop anywhere. Sure it may take sometime before a Technician is connected and begin to work on your computer, but guess what we are all human. At any one time I am working on 7-8 computers at a time with issues ranging from malware to A total Operating System corruption. I can't count how many times a customer has rushed me asking if I am done, how long is it going to take, etc. Sure it's not brain surgery, but at times it is rather difficult to repair a Windows XP Service Pack 1 with 256mb of ram and a horrible satellite connection in 2011. Any technician worth his salt will spend no less than 1 hour repairing a infected computer. It's not all about running scans and that's it. Most times, you have to check the registry, check the validity of the hard drive (space, speed etc). These things take time. The technicians that Cyberdefender employs range from fresh out of school IT professionals to individuals such as myself who have been doing this for 10+ years (I'm in my early 30's if anyone is wondering). Everyday I learn something new, literally that's just how it goes in this industry, when you are presented with something you've never encountered before you have to think quickly on your feet, research the issue and find a way to resolve it. Once again this takes time. For those of you who think a computer can be repaired in 5 minutes, you really should get your money back and take your computer to a big box store. and let the teenagers run a scripted scan and then tell you you will have to reformat your drive. Only after exhausting all avenues or if we see that you have failing hardware will we suggest a reformat (You should always in 2011 have a backup source need it be flash drive, external hard drive, etc). Believe me, we do not crash your computer. A crash has many variables as to the reason. Whether it's hardware (old outdated drivers), malware (Antivirus 2011 which attaches itself to necessary system drivers and restricts all permissions to run scans, task manager tec) or system file corruption a technician will not just remote into your computer to crash it.
    I know this is long winded, but I just wanted to give some of you a little insight on Cyberdefenders operations and the technicians it employs. Frankly I don't like or care for Cyberdefender 's software, but as far as it's tech support I work with some really talented individuals.

• Andrew P. Dec 14, 2010

CORRECTION TO MY COMMENT ON 2009-12-01
    Commenter "fand4m3" joined Complaints Board on June 16, 2009, made just one comment on that date praising DoubleMySpeed.com, and as of this writing (December 1, 2009) hasn't been seen again. "cosmo" is obviously a shill for DoubleMySpeed.com, VeryCleanPC.com, or whatever they're calling themselves this month. Any business that uses shills, masquerades under different names or spontaneously switches names is almost certainly up to no good. (Apologies to commenter "cosmo"; this site is ambiguously designed and I read his/her name from the shaded bar below fand4me's comment, assuming the site designers put the commenter's information after the post, not before it.)

• Ca
    CallAlerter Nov 16, 2010

Yes!... This company is a scam. Their uninstall program DOES NOT work. I found out that these guys were a bunch of SCAMMERS when I got someone on the phone from India. These guys had a script event though my problem had NOTHING to do what he was telling me. I switched to a new program and my computer freezes up every few day. I thought I had UNINSTALL the CyberDefender software, but when I checked there were still some REGISTRY entries. Once I removed those entries, and perform a few more things, my systems is NOW FINE. I do not want to say too much of what I did to fix my system, because then they "CyberDefender" will know that informed and knowledgeable consumers are on to their SCAM..I think these guys had some type of TROJAN on my computer. These people should be reported to the FTC and the FBI, because what they are doing is CRIMINAL...in

• Ro
    Robie Nov 15, 2010

My daughter did not have anitvirus protection on her laptop.
    We installed CYBERDEFENDER which was on my laptop.
    The technical support was great and the technician "Randy" was professional, helpful, and kept with the job until complete. My experience with my daughters TROJAN HORSE repair was beyond a good experience for all.
    2010 posting.

matlock1981 Nov 05, 2010

@aREALtech? (hmmmm...i don't know)

OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE aREAL IDIOT...and where the hell do you get off saying that this "so called" company is "PUBLICLY" (not Public) traded?! That's a bunch of B.S. As for you who maybe still has the "issue" from fu!king around on your system...it's not just one folder you so called tech idiot it's a number of .exe files and other program entries as well that are within two folders! Also, reinstalling again then uninstalling doesn't work since its a malware threat einstein and killing the process within task manager only stops it for about a couple of seconds only to come back up again within task manager! So that's a dead end for a solution you idiot! Using Malware Bytes and or Smitfraud Fix or ComboFIX will remove it all together! You said you find it funny that other people download a free AV to "Fix a problem?" Ha Ha Ha...well at least no one here is dumb enough to pay for an AV in order to remove a computer threat! Unlike you...you probably use NORTON or Stupid McAfee...that's rich! And if YOU knew anything you would be smart enough not to try and kill the the process within task manager because it comes right back up again! And why would you need to "re-install" the OS for? If there is a removal process out there available for Cyberdefender there is no need to re-install the damn OS "aREALtech." FYI for ya...cyberdefender doesn't sell remote support because there is no such company that has remote support techs you idiot! And why would they charge $299.oo for a year of support? That's just plain stupid! I work within I.T. support and i have never even heard of charging $300.00 for a year of Remote Support before! You're getting BONED remotely! LOL. Bottom line "aREALtech" if you really think it's legit to use CD then go right ahead...to me you sound like your just brainwashed from them like a Jehovah's Witness!!!

Oh by the way...its KNOW NOTHING COMPLAINERS! Not "NO" SMART GUY! :-)...HAVE A GOOD ONE! ANYONE READING THIS TAKE NOTE BECAUSE THIS GUY SOUNDS LIKE HE USED TO WORK FOR WORST BUY WITHIN THE JOKE SQUAD AND STILL USES CD FOR AN ANTIVIRUS TO PROTECT HIS WORST BUY PURCHASED LAPTOP! "aREALtech" my A$$...

• Ar
    aREALtech Nov 05, 2010

Obviously you all a bunch of idiots, the company is public traded ... for those of you that had " issues " uninstalling it its 1 folder in the programs list. if it will not uninstall from add remove programs try reinstalling the free software again then uninstall, again also try killing the process in the task manager. I find this funny as you downloaded A free AV to " Fix a problem" . maybe the software does not work cause you have a " PC problem" . If any of you knew anything you would have tried malwarebytes first then if it didn't work re-install the OS or do a dirty install. FYI cyberdefender sells remote support techs 299 for a year of support GL paying that at Geek Squad lol ... no nothing complainers.

• De
    Den.. Nov 02, 2010

To say that CyberDefender is a scam is like not to say anything at all. Stay away from it, . but if you were unlucky enough to get it, whatever you do don't uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs, because that might crush your computer the next time you going to restart it.

Are there any officials who suppost to control and get involved when something like this is happening?

Maria Lorna Paras Oct 25, 2010

I had difficulty in doing treats in my pc, until such time i heard about cyberdefender. i purchased the anti virus for $29.99. It was about six months ago since i am using the anti-virus, but since last month i experienced difficulties in removing the virus that repeatedly disturbed me while i am with my pc. i want to refund my money since the anti-virus (Cyberdefender) i purchased is not working anymore. how am i going to do the refund?

• Ar
    ARTHUR 4681 Oct 07, 2010

I WISHED I WOULD HAVE CHECKED THIS OUT BEFORE I BOUGHT IT.IT ERASED ALL MY DRVERS AND MY COMPUTER QUIT WORKING.I DID NOT FIND OUT IT WAS CYBERDEFENDER UNTIL I WAS FINALY ABLE TO GET IT FIXED AND MY TECH TOLD ME WHAT HAPPENED.PLEASE DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT.NOW I CAN'T GET A REFUND OR REPAIR EXPENSES.

• Ba
    BALR13 Sep 06, 2010

I am a consulting software designer and developer with 35 years of experience at the top-tier of my profession. My clients are strictly Fortune 500 companies like Merrill Lynch, NYSE, Dow Jones, Amtrak, CapitalOne, Intel, Chase, AT&T, Verizon, David Sarnoff Research Center (developing HD and IPTV) and the like. I am knowledgeable in the field not only to build computers from scratch, but also to program in a variety of assembly languages as well as on-chip microcode. For Intel, in 1991, I wrote video driver code that is on EVERY single PC in the world that is running Windows 3.0 or higher and was also called by MS to hand-tune their Windows Media Player's video playout code.

So if you CD shills try to belittle my experience, I'll go one on one with you. Write three lines of 80*86 macro assembly consisting of 6 bytes of machine code, that will take a binary number in the lowest four bits of the AX register and convert it to the ASCII hex values between "O" and "F" and I'll take you seriously. Or explain what Sun Solaris does in place of time-slicing to assign runtime for multiple threads when it has more threads than processors running.

I am NOT in the business of selling piddling services to ordinary users to remove malware from their computers (with an hourly rate well into 3 figures, they wouldn't be able to afford my services).

That aside, a good friend of my wife installed a paid-for copy of CyberDefender this week and has had nothing but trouble ever since, both on her computer and with CD's help desk - which refused to help her unless and until she coughed up over $200 for a "service contract." Her experience mirrors virtually all of the complaints I have read on this and numerous other websites.

I have been working on her computer now for 5 hours patiently hunting down all of the damage and modifications this ultimate kludge has done to her machine, so don't tell me about how well it works. I created a virtual machine on one of my PCs with Windows XP SP3 installed from clean CD-ROMS, installed a 'free' copy of CyberDefender, and, without having run anything except the OS to bootstrap the machine and bring up Windows, ran CyberDefender, which promptly told me I had hundreds of errors and would have to buy the 'professional' version to remove them.

This is one of the worst scams I've seen since I started in the business in 1975. Even the Nigerians can't match your chutzpah.

• A1
    a1910fruitgumco Aug 30, 2010

I too bought cyberdefender and I read this after I purchased the product. I un-installed their program first, then called cyberdefender and told them I cancelled. The money they got from me is a lesson I learned. To do my homework before buying anything. Also I contacted my credit card company and closed the credit card number they have. I don't trust them. My luck they will do the auto payment out of my credit card. so it was closed down and I got issued another number. The credit card company wanted me to authorized them to dispute the money transaction but I said no, I'll just eat the cost and consider it another mistake I've made in my life.

• Good job Bluemonday, you have succeeded in giving the complainants of cyberdefender on this site a reason to keep coming back to this page and expanding on their original complaint. You are creating the framework in which the complainants need to delve deeper into why Cyberdefender is bad software. Counter-productive is your definition. You are the reason i have bookmarked this page and check it every so often. Thank for the entertainment. Cheers.
    Your bro,
    BBBT.

BlueMondays Jul 28, 2010

All the above post really says is: “I lose, because I cannot come up with a valid argument and have resorted to hurling insults in a debate.”

Look, matlock, I learned a long time ago that just because it’s a free country with freedom of speech doesn’t mean that some people will ever have anything intelligent to say, and you’re the living proof of it.

First you’re a nationalist bashing the Brits, then a regional snob bashing L.A., and now you’ve even stooped so low as to hurl sexist insults at a woman devaluing her intelligence on the basis of her gender! Wow, way to make yourself look ignorant, man! You kiss your mother with that mouth?

And you do realize that first asserting your great professionalism and then calling someone “an incompetent female” in the same sentence only makes you look MORE ignorant, as well as totally unprofessional, right?

“If you're so damn smart you would know how to do it yourself or get a technician to do it for you”

Didn’t you read what I said about getting a Cyberdef tech to show me how to network the computers together? Wow, you REALLY can’t read for comprehension at all, can you? I know I desperately want to take your advice as to what software I use on my computer now, because gee, you look SO smart and educated.

If I worked for AVG I really wouldn’t want people like you on my side, man. I really hope you don’t work for them, because if you do, you’re a liability to the company.

@BlueMondays

I'm offering a whole lot of NOTHING?...you're the one being a d****ebag to most of these other users! Whoop di do! You got Cyberdefender! WOW I could care less! Oh and by the way i'm more professional than you will ever be considering the fact that you are just the complaintsboard.com bully in here (much less an incompetent female.) Why in the HELL would you get cyberdefender to help you network your computer to your husbands so you can play some crap-[censor] game together?! GOD are you serious? If you're so damn smart you would know how to do it yourself or get a technician to do it for you instead of some cheap [censor] antivirus software company! And what the hell is it with the whole sockpuppet crap? Do you have a fetish for that or something? Sounds like something only a person in LA understands. You call me a "clueless Internet n00b at worst"...sounds to me like you are the one that is clueless alicia silverstone! Do yourself a favor RED! Instead of trying to insult me or anyone else on here, why don't YOU learn how to back up what YOU are trying to say because a whole lotta claims from you about cyberdefender working for you proves JACK Sh**T!

Oh, and i'll say whatever i want about anything...in case you didn't know or read a book recently...IT'S A FREE F***KING COUNTRY!

BlueMondays Jul 27, 2010

ajmike has just discovered rogue antiviruses. Ta-DA!!!

Rogue antiviruses forcibly download themselves onto your computer, take it hostage, show you a bunch of false positive scan results, and try to force you to forfeit your credit card information in order to get computer function back.

You certainly can't take them off using Add/Remove programs, and they certainly don't have toll-free customer service helpdesks where you can call up and get assistance with your account. You absolutely cannot invest in a rogue antivirus company and buy their stock on NASDAQ.

However, seeing as how my Cyberdef accounts

1) had to be voluntarily downloaded to my computer,
    2) didn't take over my computer function at all,
    3) can be easily removed through Add/Remove programs,
    4) certainly didn't do anything coercive to make me buy it,
    5) actually removes viruses even in the free version,
    6) has a toll-free helpdesk number
    7) has a helpdesk staffed with real live techs and CS reps, about five of whom have personally assisted me,
    8) is traded on NASDAQ,

I'm thinking they're probably not a rogue antivirus company.

And I don't "think" Cyberdef works -- it does work. I've got one of their premium unlimited tech support accounts, and they've taken a rogue antivirus off my computer, activated my software subscriptions, put MalwareBytes on my puter, located printer drivers for me, and just this weekend they helped me network my computer to my husband's so we could play a network computer game together.

Matlock, you're offering a whole lot of NOTHING in support of your contentions and just spewing insults, which of course means you're just an inept and unprofessional online-marketing sockpuppet at best and some clueless Internet n00b at worst. Learn to offer any kind of genuine evidence to prove what you're saying, because a whole lotta "F U U $&%ing F*!!!" proves NOTHING.

And stop bashing the the British while you're at it. :-P

@BlueMondays

First of all i don't work for AVG...i just highly recommend their products. Second of all WHAT THE HELL COULD YOU POSSIBLY KNOW?! Given the fact that you are really short sighted here and that i am only trying to offer good advice on removing viruses from infected computers! "Gads?" "sockpuppertry?" You sound like an old brit who thinks he was born with a better pot to piss in! Listen BLUE! Bottom line i am trying to help out those in need to get their system back up and running, if you can't appreciate that then enjoy living with a f***ed up computer using cyberdefender! LOL BlueMondays is a joke! I hate mondays to begin with!

IF YOU REALLY THINK CYBERDEFENDER really works...then you make a box of rocks look WAY smarter than you!

• Aj
    ajmike Jul 27, 2010

Accourding to Kim Kommando, and other sources, there are virus programs that are made to look like "anti virus programs, " which will continuously tell you to pay money and sign up for a subscription, but the money will just go to some ID thief. A few months back, I had "Vista internet security, " which I had never had before, pop up on my computer.. It would deny me access to all websites, and every program on my computer, claiming everything was a "security threat, and the only way I could get rid of it was to sign up for a subscription." And, I knew it wasn't the real "Vista Internet Security, " because I contacted Microsoft, and they said they had never set it up to deny access to any program. The only way I could get it off was to restart my computer in safe mode, and I was told that Spydoctor and Malware Bytes both could remove it. Spydoctor did the job..

Not to attack anyone, but I'm merely suggesting something similar may be going on here.

BlueMondays Jul 27, 2010

Right, you’re not Allen Harkleroad. Nevermind that “Al K. Hall” is a partial anagram of (ALL)en (HA)r(KL)eroad. You, sir, have all the subtlety of a jet engine falling on a house.

OK, so you claim that your uber-nifty AV service gives premium support – yet for some reason you started by running down paid tech support and extolling the merits of post & wait tech support boards? So instead of buying a tech support subscription, first you tell me I should just post a description of my computer problem on some board somewhere and then wait for some unpaid intern to eventually answer it? Give me a break!

I’d no more rely on a post & wait tech support board as my primary source of tech support than I’d rely on pull & pray for birth control; it’s simply too unreliable. Like I said, I earn my living off my computer – I have to meet deadlines, and I bill for my work hours. I can’t put my work life on hold waiting for some intern to get back to me. I need support when I want it, and in order to have a tech on call, you need a professional customer service technician working a set schedule, and those guys don’t work for free.

CyberD has premium support on my whole computer and all its peripherals, antivirus, anti-spyware, automatic real-time updates, and firewall controls, and seeing as how I’m a grown adult without kids, I don’t need to censor what anyone can and can’t see on this computer with parental controls.

Besides, I’m starting to think that this wonderful, wonderful software and tech support subscription you claim you have sounds a little too good to be real; first you said it cost $120 for five computers above, and now you say it costs $70 for five computers in your next post. So which is it, “Al”?

And Matlock obviously works for AVG, but doesn't know enough to munge his email address so he doesn't get innundated with spam. Gads, you guys are so transparent you're not even trying anymore. These shillin' sockpuppetry tricks you're using were all old ere I was a wee pup dipping a toe in the churning waters of Usenet.

****ATTENTION**** ALL VICTIMS OF CYBERDEFENDER:

If you have been hacked by this crappy-[censor] antivirus sofware all i can tell you to use is "AVG Antivirus." This is by far the best antivirus program that detects any or all existing threats out there on the internet and the best part is you can download it for free and get good protection for your system. Prior to using this antivirus you should google "Malware Bites Anti Malware." and install it, run a quick scan, followed by a "full scan" and this will detect/remove on your permission all rogue virus threats. After, you can restart and go to "download.com" and download AVG for free, run a full scan and remove any or all secondary threats as well. Take it from me...i am a computer technician and i have been doing this for YEARS! If you still have problems please don't hesitate to email/contact me at "[email protected]" HOPE THIS HELPS ALL WHO NEED IT...CHEERS AND THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

• Al
    Al K. Hall Jul 27, 2010

@BlueMondays,

I had to laugh while reading your insane rant, it is so obvious you have absolutely no clue. If you actually knew anything about using a PC, you would not have the issues you believe you had or have.

I tried to offer helpful advice, but you have decided to flame on, therefore I will leave you to your miserable existence.

By the way, I do use a registry cleaner. It is the top rated (by independent evaluations) registry cleaner available. I get premium support, lifetime upgrades, license for five PCs, and all for only $70US. Just a wee bit cheaper than yours, eh? And it does not find the bogus "errors' CyberdDefender finds. Why? Simply because they do not exist.

Once again, I am not Allen Harkleroad. That you choose to believe otherwise does not alter reality, however much you wish for it.

BlueMondays Jul 26, 2010

OK, so Allen Harkleroad's decided to stick to the same identity and wait a couple of days to answer rather than immediately creating a new sockpuppet. Go you, Allen, you've SO fooled me this time.

Look, whoever you are, this is an Internet complaint board. NOTHING on this thing is personal, and if you do take it personally, you need to get a life. As for your fine sensibilities being so wounded "I find your baseless accusations and characterization of me as a 'sockpuppet' quite insulting!!!" Well, somebody call the WAAAMBULANCE, Al K. Hall took offense at something somebody wrote on the Internet! Who cares? "I"m offended" is not an argument, buttercup. And oh look -- you called me "indolent, suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, delusional, " thou hypocrite. You dish it out, you take it.

If you actually knew anything about registry cleaner programs, you'd realize that even rebooting the computer is going to give you registry errors. Just turning the thing on WILL give you a tiny number of registry errors on any computer -- all you've proved by running a registry cleaner on a new computer is that turning that booting that particular computer up produces 200 registry errors. Turning my computer on produces 258 registry errors. That's a totally routine scanning result for me.

Besides, registry errors do not amount to "malware." Malware is stuff like rogue antiviruses -- in all this [censored]ing about a registry cleaner program, you're basically getting your panties in a knot over a program that's a more intensive sort of Disk Defragmenter. If you think a registry cleaner program somehow delivers malware, you REALLY need to lay off those conspiracy theory boards and go back to harassing Sprint for not doing your comparison shopping for you.

You haven't told me anything I don't already know, and you haven't proved anything.

You should never have two AV on your computer at the same time because most AV companies write their programs to be antagonistic to other AVs -- Cyberdef is the only one that doesn't. However I've run Cyberdef EDC and MalwareBytes on all of my computers for some time with no problems, and no viruses or malware turning up, either.

And I don't have time to "post and wait" for an answer to any of my computer problems on some volunteer board -- I make my living off my computer, and when I have a deadline to meet, I can't just "post and wait" for some volunteer on message board to get back to me. I need that machine to work NOW, and I need an answer NOW. Like I said, I'm paying for the convenience.

As far as claiming you have no commercial interest, you protest FAR too much and are clearly too invested in the issue for me to believe you. Look, Mr. Harkleroad, your approval of where I choose to take my business is not required. All I care about in this matter is getting good tech support and computer security at my own convenience when I want it, and Cyberdefender is providing exactly that for a price that I can afford. That’s all I want, and that’s precisely what I’m getting.

The rantings of some self-serving career a**hole hocking his badly written anti-corporate rant website and his little self-published e-book on how to be a career a**hole just like him are only a momentary diversion during my coffee breaks. (The name Smart-Erroti makes me wince; I’m sure you were trying for “smarterati, ” a play on the words “literati” or “glitterati”, and fancied yourself too “smart” to consult a dictionary as to how the parent words were spelled, which is such a clever move for someone creating the site in an effort to style himself as smarter than average. But unfortunately now I can’t look at the name of your site without mentally changing it to “Spot-a-Rotter”.) I’m certainly not going to follow such an absurd character’s advice as to where I spend my money; instead I’m going to do a dispassionate cost/time/benefit analysis with my own best interests in mind, and make my own decisions.

The more you try to convince me that I should disregard my own perfectly valid observations on the value of a service and just be a little Allen Harkleroad dittohead blindly doing what you want me to do, the more you make your own motivations look suspect. Where are you getting your facts, anyway? Are you even a CyberD customer? Have you ever had these guys fix YOUR computer? Or have you just found a new Big Corporate Bad Guy to flagellate online to get attention, so you can try to sell your e-book?

And if Cyberdefender is the vendor that best suits me, I’m using them, and I don’t care what Allen Harkleroad thinks of it. I mean, who’s he, anyway?

Oh, that’s right. He’s some guy with a website. That makes him an expert on EVERYTHING!