CyberDefenderDon't use

I downloaded cyberdefender from a freeware site (Yea - I know, you get what you pay for). I ran it and it found lots of problems that windows livecare didn't. However, this freeware only identifies "problems". You have to register and pay to remove these mysterious problems. Here's where it gets fun. If you decline to pay, it becomes a "virus warning" popup. I tried to uninstall but it didn't work. But boy that popup sure was working! I tried to remove it in control panel add/remove programs and that wouldn't work. Finally I went into program files and removed all files and folders that it would let me remove. I was able to disable the program so that it's not *** me off every 30 seconds, but it took an hour of diligent folder searching, etc. To get rid of it. It seems to me that cyberdefender antivirus is just plain vindictive when you decline to buy the software.

• Updated by CyberDefender · May 25, 2010

On behalf of CyberDefender Corporation, we apologize for any inconvenience you may have encountered with our products and services. We are dedicated to giving our customers an optimum experience, and would be happy to work with you to solve any difficulties with your refund. Please feel free to contact our corporate headquarters at [protected] or email us at supportATcyberdefender.com.

• Updated by CyberDefender · Oct 07, 2010

Arthur 4681,
    I would like to thank you for opinions and inform you that CyberDefender is a user friendly company. If you would be so kind as to contact us directly we will be more than happy to look into your concerns and provide a feasible solution. You have been contacted with where you can send your contact information so that I can review and resolve all concerns. Please take the time to provide
    * The email address used to set up the account
    * A direct telephone number where you can be reached
    * The best time to contact you
    I assure you once this information has been provide you will hear from me promptly .
    CyberDefender Customer Relations

• Updated by CYDE_SUPPORT · Oct 26, 2010

Dear Lorna,

We thank you for bringing up your concerns regarding CyberDefender's Early Detection Center 3.0 Anti-Virus / Anti-Spyware Internet-Security Suite. It seems like you might be having some trouble with the software and uninstalling. You mentioned that the Product "is not working anymore." What sort of problems or errors are you encountering? We're certain that whatever problem you're facing, we can resolve it absolutely.

You're encouraged to call our Customer Relations toll-free number at [protected], Option 1, and from there our representatives can begin to help straightaway.

However, in-depth software uninstall instructions are available at our site, and may be viewed by visiting the link below:

Please do not hesitate to call with any concerns or issues.

Sincerely,
    CyberDefender Customer Relations

• Ne
    Neil Blatt Nov 12, 2008

Last night was fun! First my computer was attacked by a virus known as Antivirus 2009 and everything was slowing down. The antivirus was in fact a virus that prevented any activity. I went to Google web site for advice and they recommended Spybot that then directed me to Cyberdefender. After signing on the entire process was a sales pitch where they held my data hostage. The product purchased, I was informed that I needed a technician to remove the attack that was now developing exponentially with threats of immediate loss of all memory. However, this did not occur until I allowed the butt heads from Bombay onto my computer. I called a friend who directed me to a program called Viper and I attempted to download the protection. Cyberdefender blocked the download for 30 minutes until complete. By midnight Viper had resolved the problems. When I restarted my computer Cyberdefender was now the sign on for the internet. By the way at 1AM they called to continue the sales pitch. I am more disappointed that the Google help site directed me to this bunch.

• Tr
    traveler818 Feb 27, 2009

Don't feel like installing the free version goes under the category "you get what you pay for." I paid for it--I ended up paying for 2 programs thinking if I paid for a good program I'd get good protection. Ha! I can't get my moneyback. The no questions asked guaranty gets you on the phone for 1 1/2 hours explaining why you don't want the program. It only works for 1-2 days and quits. So I cancelled. They are rude CROOKS. If I can't get a refund, I'll spread the word wherever I can that they are crooks. I recommend that everyone who got burned do the same thing. The least we can do is put them out of business since their business is ripping poeple off and treating them like !%!%.

• Tr
    traveler818 Feb 27, 2009

What worries me is that they are advertised at the top of this page.

• 10
    106705 Apr 08, 2009

Another scam. Stole my money. Wasted my time. Made me feel like crap.

• Th
    theTroll Apr 15, 2009

I heard an add for this on the radio and wondered if it was a scam or actually something useful. I happen to be in a great position to test this because I had just installed Vista and the machine was completely clean. Hadn't even been on the internet yet. Downloaded and installed and did a spyware scan. Much to my surprise it found 11 spyware. I now understand why they claim to find more spyware then ANYONE else, well because they find spyware that doesn't exist. I even went through and looked up all the ones the claimed to find and no where on my computer were anything that would lead you to believe that spyware was there. COMPLETE SCAM!!!

• Fa
    fand4me Apr 29, 2009

Wow, I had a completely different experience. I got the $40 version, and it cleared off all the viruses that their 'free' scanner found. After that, I had no problems and Cyberdefender has been working great. Last month, got attached by Antivirus 2009 - and cyberdefender alerted me to it and got much of it off my system. Still I had some browser issues, and contacted thier 24/7 help line, and they went into my system and in 20 minutes had it all taken care of. They were great, so it seems that there are these compaints, but they have millions of users so it can't be that bad a product - and my experience has been very positive.

• Co
    cosmo Jun 16, 2009

You can't get rid of it, right click on the toolbar icon and you see activate purchase and exit but when you click exit it opens it.

Blackowl6 Jun 28, 2009

I think these Hyjackers need to answer a few questions at the FBI high-tech wire fraud department...Having someone elses hostile programs popping up on there system is corrupt, unethical, and down right perverse...This is a scam and outright blackmail, I hope they haul the jerks off to prison...There is no excuse for this kind of crap, I don't need this garbage on my system, it is a virus pure and simple ...

• Bu
    burgerbob Jul 03, 2009

Don't let anyone fool you. Cyberdefender is a blackmailing SCAM operation. Once you get involved with them they screw up yor computer so that you are forced to sign on with them or else. I was blackmaied into buying their contract that covers three computers for $225 annually with a free $40 gas card which I never received. I can verify that they are scammers because twice last year they mistakenly thought that my contract expired and crashed my computers. My contract is about to expire in a few days so does anyone know how I can get these clowns out of my computer so that I don't have to resign?

• Ks
    kszoo Sep 10, 2009

I had the same experience. This is such an OBVIOUS scam! How are they getting away with this? I called the tech number to complain that I wasn't getting my free trial as promised. They asked me how many viruses had been detected (the scan is free, to remove the "viruses" you have to buy the program). I said 61, so he said that was too many for the free program and I had to buy the program. I said forget it, this is a scam and I'm not buying anything. Then when it popped up again I noticed the scan said "your computer MAY have these 61 viruses.
    I downloaded Avast which is a good free antivirus program and found out I had no spyware or viruses on my computer.

• Tx
    txtree Oct 06, 2009

I too have had the same awful experience with cyber defender. It is a scam. I also highly recommend avast for those people out there that are searching for a fully functional freebie.

• Cl
    C-Luv390 Oct 06, 2009

This is a damn shame, that these people are out here doing this to consumers and their computers. I mean computers are not cheap,
    they are very expensive especially if you don't have the money and these jerks are out here messin' up people computers with their
    garbage, they need to be ran outta business A.S.A.P.!!

• La
    laurak1236 Oct 08, 2009

Attention everyone who is putting complaints on this site needs to report this scam to the following: google.., us-cert.Gov.., securitywonks.Org.., stopbadware.Org.., icrontic.com/forum.., jasonblogs.., techsupportguy.., internet police & whoever else you can report to...

Cyberdefender... Bad site...

I never had problems with my pc until i downloaded

This product.I called them and they said for $229.95

They could fix it.I told them i wasn't paying that & i

Wanted to remove their product from my pc.

Everytime i tried to remove it it kept taking me back

To their site to "pay".I had to call them 3 times before

Someone would tell me how to remove it.So i removed

It & then searched my pc to make sure it was all

Gone. It was not gone. One file

(Cyberdefender.Exe-08d84804.Pf)remains on

My pc.No matter what i do it will not go away.It sits in

My recycle bin and will not let me remove it. I tried to

Open the file & it would not open so i had windows

Search the net to tell me who created it & what type of

File it was.The report told me it came from

Cyberdefender & this file was malicious

Software.This site gave me 4 trojen horse viruses &

Then wanted to charge me to remove them.This site

Should be researched for giving people viruses just so

They can make $229.95 to remove them. How can i

Get this crap deleted from my pc?? Please help.
    Laura kling
    [protected]@hotmail.com

• Ri
    Rick Emerson Oct 21, 2009

Rick is my name...I wish i had come to visit these warnings first, but too late...I first did the "trial version, " and of course, it found all kinds of problems with my pc...I wish i had never heard of this crappy program...I had previously sent in the amount for a full year, a fool mistake...Now, they claim they have no record of the transaction, and i get no cyberdefender program (Good), nor do i get my money back (Bad)!! I'm filing a small claims court action against them if they do not send me my money back...The court action will get them (In my home county in ky) for not only the refund, but also for filing fees, court costs, and the "current free visa gift card" that goes with the purchare...These suckers are going to get it if i do not get my money back and the cyber program completely removed!!! I've file in small claims twice before, and i won both times!! Rick

• Andrew P. Dec 01, 2009

Commenter "cosmo" joined Complaints Board on June 16, 2009, made just one comment on that date praising DoubleMySpeed.com, and as of this writing (December 1, 2009) hasn't been seen again. "cosmo" is obviously a shill for DoubleMySpeed.com, VeryCleanPC.com, or whatever they're calling themselves this month. Any business that uses shills, masquerades under different names or spontaneously switches names is almost certainly up to no good.

• Pe
    PegS0202 Dec 17, 2009

I had a problem with Trojans on my computer while I had CyberDefender, too. When I called the techs (in India, of course) they tried telling me there wasn't any software in the world that could just remove them. They said I'd have to have one of their anti-hacking tech specialists remove it for $240! Well, guess what? GO TO MICROSOFT'S website. They'll scan your computer for FREE and quarantine the viruses. I also downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus program. It's FREE, also! My computer runs great now.

• Xs
    xSILV3Rx Dec 18, 2009

My mother was getting pop-ups and her computer was running slow, then she made it worse...she downloaded cyberdefender virus removal and the registry cleaner. She is not computer savvy so she accidentally bought the back-up disc on the page where you purchase the software and she also bought the 4 additional keys to install the software on more computers. She paid 89.94. I happened to stop by her house and she was excited about her new purchase. I called them immediately to inform them that she did not want the back up disk or the additional keys. They put me on hold for about 8 minutes while they "processed it"-when the music ended I was simply hung up on. I called back again, same result! I called back again and they told me I was breaking up and they could not hear me; I was on a land-line. I called AGAIN. This time I told the guy that I was hung up on twice and that I did not want to be put on hold. He processed the refund for the back-up disk and the additional keys in about 5 seconds.

All customer service reps were Indian and each one was different, just thought I should throw that out there.

Now she continues to get pop-ups taking her to sites every time she searches for something. There is no doubt its the cyberdefender software.

DO NOT PURCHASE THIS SOFTWARE!!! IT IS A NIGHTMARE!

• Ce
    CEJONES Dec 27, 2009

Go to www.malwarebytes.org and download the free program malwarebytes and run it. If your computer is infected, you may have to use another computer and download to a flash drive.

Lots of tech support people today are using this program to remove malware, including the ones mentioned above, from their computers.

The other option is to back up all your files to an external drive. Then, use your installation disks to re-install your system. This actually takes less time than trying to clean a heavy infected computer.

BlueMondays Dec 30, 2009

Wow, what a giant advertisement for "I Don't Have Any Idea How to Email Support or Dial a Customer Service 800 Number" this is! I use Cyberdefender Early Detection and Malwarebytes on my computer and they've both worked just fine for years.

IIRC Cyberdefender offers a money-back guarantee if the program doesn't work for you, just like Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Avast, AVG, et cetera et cetera. You can try it for a month and if it doesn't work they give you your money back (hint hint.) I kept their antivirus program but I returned their registry clean program, and they gave me my refund within a couple of days.

One tip for people who get a virus -- the solution is NOT to then download 86 trillion different antivirus programs onto your computer trying to get rid of it, because that'll just make things worse. I've seen I don't know how many people make this mistake. Even legitimate antivirus programs can be antagonistic to each other (for example if you have AVG on your computer it will try to block Cyberdefender from running. Same goes for Norton and Symantec.) The interaction between the virus and the various antivirus programs will tax your computer's resources so much that nothing can get done. Just try one antivirus program at a time, because antivirus companies all have their own proprietary database of virus fixes. Sometimes MalwareBytes can fix stuff that Norton can't and sometimes Cyberdefender can fix stuff that McAfee can't and so on and so on. If MalwareBytes doesn't work then take it off again before you install Avast or whatever. That will prevent antagonistic reactions between antivirus programs and save you all kinds of headaches.

Anyway I just checked at the Cyberdefender website and they've got customer support available. There's a phone number [protected] and an email resource too: [protected]@cyberdefender.com.

I just don't see why if you weren't happy and wanted your money back can't you just contact them and ask for it? I guess it's more fun to go on and on about being OH NOEZ A VICTIM OF BLACKMAIL!!1!! on a complaint board than just doing something sensible like, I dunno, ask for your money back maybe. I didn't have any problem getting a refund from these guys. Just make sure you ask for your refund within the guarantee period.

But I guess that's not as fun as taking up sueing people for a hobby like like Rick Emerson apparently does.

• Su
    sueric Feb 05, 2010

I am also a victim of these scam artists. I purchased and installed the program, it worked for a few days and then my computer started acting up...slow to open programs, slow going from one website to another, and worst of all, whenver I emailed my client she received this message in the subject line: "Suspicious URL."

I uninstalled the program, it is running fine now, but trying to connect with billing or customer service has been the biggest nightmare!

I am a fool!

• Bi
    bitten Mar 01, 2010

Wish I had seen these complaints before I made the purchase. Computer was running slow but at least it was running. Downloaded the program and ran it. It said I had over 100 issues. I removed the issues but the computer still ran slow. I called Customer Service and they said they needed to access my computer, so I let them. I watched them roam around through all of my programs for a half hour and then A-poo said I needed $250.00 for a Tech to remove the problems. I refused their offer and figured the computer was slow but I was used to it. They called my house for several days hounding me and leaving messages to by the Tech support for a year as well as badmouthing the Geek Squad to the extreme.. I refused to by the program. That night I shut the computer down. I turned it on the next day only to have the blue screen of death. Fatal error. Can't even get into the safe mode. Now I'm screwed. I believe Cyberdefender removed a program that my computer needs to operate with or they got back into my system and sabotaged me so I'd buy the Tech support. They brag about being number 1 with the Better Business Bureau. Is the Bureau reading these complaints? Apu turned out to be A-poo.

• Ro
    Roman619 Mar 02, 2010

I love the fact that they have their employees defending their crap software on this page.

I purchased this program to help protect a relatively new non-infected computer. A few months later I began having some issues. It was a trojan. I only found the trojan using other web software. Cyberdefender could not even detect the trojan much less clean it. I called their technical support line and they simply suggested I update my virus definition which did nothing since it was already up to date. They later told me they could remote into my computer for $120. ***Scam*** I immediately felt they were scam artists and was not going to allow them to go anywhere near my computer. I removed the Cyberdefender software which was a pain and used a different antivirus from then on. The other software quickly removed the trojan.

Part of their great service is automatically rebilling you at the end of the year. ***Scam*** They might have it in the very fine print but I didn't see it anywhere in the installation process. When I called to cancel and have them issue a refund they stalled and offered discounts. Yes, give me a discount for something I have no intention of ever using again.

• Go
    gotscammedbycyberdefender Mar 24, 2010

CyberDefender is a SCAM ROGUE ANTIVIRUS company run by criminals. This company is BOILER ROOM (the movie) for security software. DO NOT BUY THEM, DO NOT CALL THEM, THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY, steal your credit card data, and install fraudulent antivirus that FAKELY detects a virus so they can upsell you on customer support.

• Mu
    mustang971 Mar 26, 2010

I just got the "free diagnosis" and what I did was just manually fix the errors. done deal.

BlueMondays May 24, 2010

Wow, you just sound like a crank with a mad-on against ANY business that advertises in the media, as your MANY, often-repeated rants on the subject would prove!

Let's see, what have you posted so far...

You post this same silly rant over and over and over and over and OVER again.

Plus I find it hard to believe that some antivirus company has actually WRONGED YOU!!! so bad that you'd actually want to assault its employees. From another one of your comments:
    "I would like to hear of some one going to their offices and sending them to the hospital in VERY serious condition...Now that would be worth $40.00, wouldn't it?"

So far you hate the Cash4Gold people, the Acaiberry people... You really need to quit quaffin' that ol' hate-o-rade, Charlie. Either that or quit using the name of my favorite Peanuts character. :-P

• Le
    Leigh2010 May 25, 2010

I do not recommend cyberdefender. If it has cyberdefender name do not buy them. They are liars! When you first talk to them they feed you crap they tell it will be one time price and no more payments BULL CRAP! Out of no where cyberdefender was charging us 129.99 every 3 months which we didn't have problem with but we wasn't told that. When we called to try to figure out why they were charging they told us that our plan was 220 first payment and every 3 months 129.99. I told them that is not what I was told so they had an agent call me and he explained that he was going to review the tape and if it showed that I was lied to he would give my money back; but if it was a misunderstanding he can drop the payments where we wouldn't have to pay 129.99 every 3 months..well well well it is 2 months now and he hasn't called back(figures we u are a scam). So I got an email stating today that Cyberdefender will be taking another 129.99 out this month(whoa what happen to taken it out every 3 months now its 2 months) . I called them early this morning around 7 am they had me hold forever then when I got an agent to cancelled my subscription he put me on hold for a long time, then when I finally got the chance to talk to him he tells me he has to have an agent call me back(blah blah) well it is 12pm and no phone call. This time I checked my hotmail acct and I got an email stating that Cyberdefender had charged my card 129.99 but it kicked back bc it wasn't there. So I called again and she had me on hold and told me an agent will call me back. In conclusion this company has great technican that can do very well in cleaning ur PC but they lie about money and they lie about having agents calling you back and when u cancel they will try to take the money from you before cancelling. They are Liars and they know it but they don't care.

• Le
    Leigh2010 May 25, 2010

To add to what I said.. I called cyberdefender back and had to be rude to let them know that Im not joking tryiing to take money out of someone's acct bc they want to cancel is unethical. Finally I get a phone call from the head of the acct dept and he starts going over my acct and come to find out from the last time that I talked to Cyberdefender about why they were charging me 129.99 when they told me it was one time 220 payment to cover 2 years and the agent stated that he would call me back to give my money back after reviewing the tape and he never did, well every since then each month cyberdefender has been charging me 129.99 ..so for all of you that are sayiing that cyberdefender is the best and they are wonderful well sorry I prove that they were doing me wrong. They did lie about the plan and lied again about the plan after I talked to them and to add insult to injury they started charging me 129.99 each month. In my opinion it sucks bc they are great with taking viruses off my computer and keeping my pc clean but if you can't tell me the truth and u feel you have to lie to sell a product to me and when I call to try to figure out what is going on you give me the run around then promise to call me back and u never plus u starting charging me 129 not every 3 months but each month. That is the reason I wouldn't recommend it. If you are reading this do not think that I am cheap money is not an object when it comes to the things that I need but when you lie to me and u take the money out you make it difficult for me bc then I have to rearrange my bills after I have them order bf i got paid. If Cyberdefender would have been honest with me I will be them right now but sad to say I had to cancel.

MannyD01 Jun 14, 2010

I own a Computer service company in California and I can attest that this software is definitely a SCAM!
    We see dozens of computers on a weekly basis and 100% of the PC's with CyberDefender installed, need it removed. We have had clients tell the tech's that they want to keep the software since they paid for it. So the techs have tried their best to comply in the past, even by uninstalling/removing all viruses’ (including CyberDefender). As soon as the tech reinstalls CyberDefender on the clean PC, as per customer request, viruses are found again by our scanners. In some instances the customer reinstalled it after we left, only to have us return. This virus installs approximately 11- 18 different viruses and always reports finding at least 200+ viruses.
    If you are using CyberDefender (and don't work for them), spend some time on Google researching what others are saying. If out of 1000 negative posts and a hand full of positives you don't learn... then as they say..."you get what you deserve".

If you still want to try this product, try this: Before installing it (this works for any product), call them and tell them 1. You want your money back. And 2. You want help uninstalling their product permanently.
    You will get a better picture of the company you are dealing with.

I will not post my company info here as this is not the place for it. But if you need computer assistance, PLEASE find a reputable company within driving distance to you.

BlueMondays Jun 14, 2010

Own a computer service company, do you? So Cyberdefender is your direct competitor.

And they can fix a customer's computer remotely, so the customer doesn't have to drive anywhere.

So your motive in libeling this other company and claiming that they don't fix anything is pretty obvious.

Also, this statement makes no sense: "Before installing it (this works for any product), call them and tell them 1. You want your money back. And 2. You want help uninstalling their product permanently."

So you should ask for a refund and instructions on how to uninstall a program before you even INSTALL it? Huh?

• Hey BlueMondays, points me in the direction of ONE positive review for this company (that wasnt written by a shill). Oh, there are none? ok thanks bye.

BlueMondays Jun 22, 2010

Plenty of 'em here:

You'll probably conveniently dismiss them as being written by shills, naturally.

But I can see why it's in some folks' best interest to slam them. They fix your computer remotely for a set fee whenever you need help, and they're always a toll-free phone call away. You never have to take your computer anywhere, and you don't lose use of it for days on end like you would if you took it to a mom 'n pop tech shop.

No wonder they've got their competitors foaming at the mouth libelling them online... oh, I don't smell an ulterior motive THERE or nuthin...

• You're not convincing anyone BlueMondays. Nice try though. How much do you get paid to cruise complaints/comments websites like this one and defend a crappy company or product?

BlueMondays Jun 26, 2010

I don't get paid squat -- I have one of their tech support packages.

What happened was that I ended up with something called Cybersecurity on my computer, so I googled the thing, found Cyberdefender, and proceeded to call their CS up ripping them all new rectums about how they had to get their @&$#ing software off my computer.

Hoo nelly, turned out Cybersecurity was a rogue antivirus that had apparently been created to look like a clone of legit programs like Cyberdefender and Mcafee. The tech who helped me told me that she must remove Cybersecurity for somebody about every other day, and the customers usually call them because the rogue antivirus programmers are specifically TRYING to make their crapware look like legitimate programs so as to piggyback on their advertising.

So I bought the basic minimum one-year subscription to their software and tech support and it's working fine for me. This was the second time I ended up with a rogue antivirus on my computer, and the last time I took it into Geek Squad and they re-installed the whole operating system and charged me over $400 plus an extra fee to back up my data, and kept my computer for over a week for the privilege.

With my CD subscription, they fixed it for me remotely in a couple of hours, only charged me $225 for unlimited tech support for a whole year. I didn't lose any data, and I didn't lose my computer for 7-8 days. I work at home, so I really need access to my laptop.

Chris 555 Jun 27, 2010

As a computer repair person, one who builds computers from scratch, loads and repairs operating systems, removes virus attacks, fixes registry errors, and removes malware attacks, I have access to legitimate soft ware and service to handle these things.

The only thing Cyberware and all of its associate names will do for you is lighten your wallet and leave you worse off than before you started.

They will give you far more trouble than they will ever fix, and they will lighten your wallet as per Barnum and Bailey, ... a fool is born every day.

BlueMondays Jul 01, 2010

So you're another "computer repair person, " are you? Again, so Cyberdef is your direct competitor. Funny how many self-described "computer people" are libelling my tech support provider online -- their business model must have you guys running scared.

Didn't you read the part where I said they'd removed a rogue antivirus for me without reinstalling the operating system and with no loss of data, for less money than Geek Squad charged me before? And they didn't give me any trouble at all -- they solved the problem for me. Gosh, some people either can't read, or are just determined to be negative!

And actually P. T. Barnum's quote was "There's a sucker born every minute." In Complaintsboard's case, it's more like "There's an unfounded, clearly suspect accusation made every second..."

• Ax
    Axxion Jul 05, 2010

I found this page after googleing a suspicious product I saw on a TV commercial. CyberDefender is a flat out scam. I don't even need to download or install it, I just need to look at the webpage, which is setup like every other scam-site out there.
    Things like false accreditations: cnet does not actually provide ratings, the users do, and any 5 star rating in this instance has definitely been submitted by a staff member.
    Things like comments from 'satisfied customers': aka random names. If a program is as good as it is supposed to be, you will hear comments like these from your own friends or colleagues.
    Things like catchy website names (ie: mycleanpc.com, the source of this scam): reputable websites use their own real domain name, and don't rely on catchy domain names to lure in new victims.
    Things like BBB accreditation: the BBB is only as accurate as the information it is supplied by the company itself! Cyberdefender can lie through it's teeth and the BB isn't going to even know, let alone act.

SAFETY ORIENTED SOFTWARE THAT ADVERTISES ON TV IS ALMOST ALWAYS A SCAM!
    Seriously... Does McAfee make TV ads? Does Norton? no!
    Aside from major platforms like Windows or Apple, software that makes use of tv to promote their product are looking for people who don't know enough to make an educated decision. These commercials use fear tactics and fake user praise in order to stimulate the market. Typical software products to use this tactic are antivirus, firewall and 'system cleaners' like this one.
    GOOGLE THE NAME OF THE COMPANY AND ADD THE WORD 'SCAM' AND YOU WILL BE GUARANTEED TO FIND MULTIPLE RESULTS.

Users like BlueMondays are only here to try to smear legitimate complaints by those who have fallen victim to lowlife companies like this one who prey on those who don't know enough to effectively protect themselves. If he chooses to reply to my post, he is only proving my point. That trustlink link he posted has fake reviews, and, like cnet, the site itself does not provide ratings. Also note the exact same word for word reply from cyberdefender when a person did actually complain. So either BlueMondays is an advocate of the product, or he is simply too dense to see the product for what it truly is.

For those of you looking for a legitimate product line to protect their computer, check out www.comodo.com. they are internet security specialists, and I have been using their products and services for over a decade. they have both free and paid-for products, with no strings attached.

BlueMondays Jul 05, 2010

Axxion, you're a dork. Didn't you read my above post when I said that the Cyberd support guys took a rogue antivirus off my computer? And have now helped me find the device drivers for my printer, and told me my puter would run better if I updated the RAM? And I'm a she, thank you.

McAfee and Norton don't advertise on TV because they don't have the budget to do it. They advertise a-plenty in computer mags and such. As soon as they get big enough to advertise on TV, they'll do it.

Google the name of any big company and "scam" and you will get multiple results.

"Microsoft" "scam" -- over 3 million hits hits
    "Apple computer" "scam" -- over 2 million hits
    "Berkshire Hathaway" "scam" -- over 76, 000 hits
    "Oprah Winfrey show" "scam" -- over 639, 000 hits
    "Catholic Church" "scam" -- over 785, 000 hits
    "Flying Spaghetti Monster" "scam" over 18, 400 hits

By your own logic, the Flying Spaghetti Monster has the most credibility of all of the above. Thanks, good to know.

"Replies from the company (username cyberdefender) are simply poor attempts to get people to call in so they can obtain your email/phone number so they can try to sell their product over the phone using scripted conversation tactics aimed at convincing callers it is worth buying. Note the comments from this user made no attempt to try to defend any of the comments made here by those who have fallen victim to the scam."

The scam is called "capitalism." They're selling stuff and offering support to people who have already bought it. That's not a crime in this country. One might even imagine that's how the American economy works or something.

And nice discounting of all the good reviews I found. You're just determined to be negative, probably because you work for Comodo.com, or own a Mom-and-Pop tech shop, or are really Chris 555's sockpuppet. And Chris555 is probably Jerrold Greenwood's sockpuppet.

• Ax
    Axxion Jul 05, 2010

:D Thanks for proving my point BlueMondays. I figured you would reply in the spirit of true ignorance. Without prejudice, Here's a few points for you:

If you had an already-installed and updated antivirus (there's only lots out there, many of them 100% free, like AVG or Comodo), you wouldn't have had a 'rogue antivirus' to start with. Additionally, there are PLENTY of better software programs out there designed to yank malware/virii out of any computer, and most of them are FREE. Furthermore, pretty much any tech worth their salt can help you find drivers or give you advice on how to improve your system speed and stability. Upgrading (not updating) RAM is one of the first and most obvious. Perhaps your geographic location or pool of friends does not contain a tech savvy person who could do this sort of thing for you more locally. In that instance, I can understand your point of view, just not your refusal to keep an open mind and perhaps learn how to make your computer work better without the need for expensive third party junkware.

Out of the hundreds of reports of people who fall victim to this software, you are one person who has reportedly had a good experience with this product. It doesn't take an expert mathematician to tell you that is a terrible ratio.

Mcafee, Norton and Comodo are MASSIVE companies in comparison to this fly-by-night cyberdefender ripoff. They protect enterprise level corporations and provide FREE utilities for infected systems (ie: Mcafee Stinger). They don't advertise in magazines (although they have been known to place advertising links on other websites) because they don't need to: They generate plenty enough revenue to sustain their operations, and they aren't looking for suckers, like cyberdefender is. Furthermore, they are very easily found in the top 10 results using any reputable search engine (keyword: antivirus), unlike cyberdefender, which has no hope in hell of getting on the top 10 PAGES.

Your use of logic is flawed: Typing in any old thing and adding 'scam' will obviously yield results! but have you LOOKED at the results themselves? (rhetorical question btw):

Typing 'cyberdefender scam', has results where EVERY link (aside from their own) is a RELEVANT RESULT about this malware provider.

Typing 'oprah winfrey show scam' has results ranging from people trying to sell fake tickets to emails about fake lottery notifications. Not one is actually about oprah's show itself.

Typing 'microsoft scam' gets results that consist of scam artists trying to hide behind microsoft's name, and have absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft at all!

Typing 'flying spaghetti monster scam' yields over 31ooo hits in google, and if you actually need to search it to determine if it is indeed a scam, you need serious help that no internet article or website can offer. Oddly enough, there are relevant results if indeed you are troubled about this topic.

Typing 'comodo antivirus scam' yields not one single result with a scam relating to their product. In fact, one of the results was discussing how to avoid scams using Comodo's product line!

If you were tech savvy in any way, you would know all of this. Obviously (like many out there) you are not, which is why you bought this crap product to start with. If you are happy with it then that's all that matters. But I sincerely suggest you research your replies before you post them, as you are defending and inadvertently supporting malware. Your ignorance runs rampant, and your comments show it 100%. You haven't even stopped to verify your own comments or even consider that others (with more knowledge) have a point. You are using your ignorance as a weapon, arguing with people who have decades of experience in the field. It seems that you have no interest in gaining knowledge or learning from others who have the experience required to make educated and informative posts about topics like these.

There is a REASON that it is posted here as a scam. IT IS.

Here's an interesting link:

I'm not trying to be mean, I am simply making a point. Any more like-minded replies from you will only fortify my comments here, so I suggest you let sleeping dogs lie.

Just like those less educated on your speciality would learn from you in a similar situation, you may find that you can benefit from those more educated in the matters of software and computing if you try to listen and understand instead of argue or debate using the little knowledge you have on the topic.

On a side note, anyone who is still having problems removing this software can try hijackthis (keyword: hijackthis) to remove it. Even if it cannot remove the remaining junk, it will generate a logfile that will help a tech to manually remove it. It is a great tool... you may be surprised to find out what is lurking around behind the scenes on your PC. :)

BlueMondays Jul 07, 2010

"Here's an interesting link:

Dude, it's really obvious that your name is Allen Harkleroad, and you've probably got about a dozen sockpuppets on Complaintsboard.com.

Subtlety, sir, is not something you are good at.

BlueMondays Jul 08, 2010

Yeah, it’s obvious that “Axxion” is Allen Harkleroad. Because given the number of comments anybody’s ever made to Mr. Harkleroad’s “Smart-Erroti” site, I’m pretty sure he’s the only one reading it.

Where I come from, Mr. Harkleroad, people who call their techie friends/relatives up and ask them to fix their computers for free are called “your elderly mother” or “rude freeloading mooches, ” and in the latter case, you stop picking up the phone when you see their number in the Caller ID box. I know any number of tech professionals, and they are indeed professionals who expect to be paid for their expertise. I’m a professional editor who used to teach English composition, and the kind of “friend” who expected me to tutor their kid for free or edit this or that document for free would rapidly become a non-friend. None of my IT professional friends are sitting by the phone waiting to provide me with free tech support whenever I want it, and I hardly expect them to be.

I have friends for COMPANIONSHIP, not so I can exploit them for free labor. Maybe you live in the kind of very small, isolated community where people regularly barter services, but I do not; ‘round these here parts, you want someone to perform a service for you, you hire a qualified professional. And with my Cyberdefender tech support account, I DO have a fully qualified computer professional sitting by the phone waiting for me to call whenever I need something. That’s the beauty of it, and that’s why I’m willing to pay for a subscription. What I’m paying for is the convenience, and that convenience is worth it to me.

Look, Mr. Harkleroad, I’m a happy customer. You can keep shrilling SCAM SCAM SCAM, RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF in a blatantly self-interested attempt to sell your little self-published e-book about how to use negative publicity to extort special treatment and free stuff out of big corporations all you want (yeah, I can use Google, Mr. Allen Harkleroad, Big Ole Angry American, of Sarasota, Florida, sir) but that does not change the fact that my experience with Cyberdefender was a positive one and I think I’m getting what I’m paying for.

To me, you just look like an attention-seeking charlatan who gets off on imagining himself to be David fighting the big oppressive corporate Goliaths, and nothing you’ve said is going to make me give up my direct line to remote tech support in my home whenever I want it. Like I said, taking my computer to my local service provider is actually MORE expensive to me in terms of time and money than just calling up my Techs on Call guys and having them assist me remotely. You may be in favor of supporting the brick-and-mortar local tech shops in the interest of supporting local business in your community, which is fine, but in my case, the local brick and mortar computer repair shops are places like Geek Squad, Best Buy, etc., and they’re both slower and more expensive than calling Cyberdefender.

So I’m sorry, but I think I’m getting what I’m paying for, and the rantings of some anti-corporate Internet wingnut with clear ulterior commercial motives for libeling this company online don’t mean anything to me.