Custom Built Personal Trainingpaying for services not rendered

I signed up for Custom Built Personal Training back in January of 2010. I signed up for the 2 times a month workout with a trainer. It started out okay, but then my last workout was in March. I have never been called by my trainer since the first few days of March. I called them today to tell them that I had not been called and that I had not received a "workout schedule" for the machines that I had requested back in March. I just wanted to terminate the contract today. Well they gave me the number to the Atlanta office and I called and told them I wanted to terminate the contract because their people were not living up to what they said they would do. They are taking money out of my account and just ignoring me. The man I spoke to, said "well if you cancel for any reason then you have to pay an early termination fee of $250.00". I said "wow, your people don't live up to what they are suppose to do and I have to pay a fee because I am now a dissatisfied customer and never mind the fact that they withdrew 2 months worth of payments from my account that I never even got a call to set it up"? He said "that's right". I said "fine, I will pay the termination fee, which I did today and mailed it with delivery confirmation". I do not recommend this company to anyone. They are scammers and I cannot believe they get away with treating customers this way. I will NEVER join one of these outfits again and I hope I can impart upon others to not join them either.

Thanks,
Mom of three

• Rl
    rlmiller9 Sep 01, 2012

I am curious what the letter that can be sent to the credit companies is to avoid or alleviate a credit score problem? Can someone provide some details on this?
    Ray

• Al
    Aldo Mendoza Jun 14, 2011

Had a similar experience. They do not review the contract with the client before signing and are very decitful. Stay away from these crooks. Warn others as well!

• Ca
    Can't Say Nov 18, 2010

I won't give my name out, but I'm a former sales manager for one of the Custom Builts in the South East. Every above complaint is true. The company screws over its trainers as well. I know this because I played a hand in it. Numerous argument broke out with the General Manager and Assistant General Manager (myself) against the trainers. The trainers were always complaining that they never got paid enough, and that they were missing hours.

There is a system on the computer, that the trainers would log their trainer number into, and check off their training sessions. One of my job duties was to delete a couple of sessions from each trainer. It was done in such a way that the client would still be charged for their session, but a trainer wouldn't get paid for it.

For instance, if a trainer performed 60 training sessions, we would only pay him/her for 56. If you did 30, you would get paid for 28. If you did 15 sessions, you got paid for 14. There is no way for the trainers to figure out which sessions they weren't getting paid for, so they always lost arguments against us.

If they got to clever about it, we would find other ways to get around it. For instance, "Don't worry about those two sessions. You're getting paid for it next paycheck." If you still didn't leave it alone, we would find an excuse to fire you.

It was a near perfect system. Eventually my conscience got the better of me and I quit.

Custom Built, plainly put, screws over everybody.

• Mo
    Modernboy Sep 15, 2010

Has anyone taken CBPT to court? Im at the stage. I cancelled my account and The contract said $250 or 15% of total amount. I wrote on the cancellation letter that I needed to know how much I owe. No one responded for a month, so I decided to call them. No reply back. I emailed them, and they responded two weeks later that my account was still open and my balance had to be up to date. Well, when I cancelled it was, and now they want double the amount, plus the $250. Does anyone know the proper step sto take them to court?

• Ho
    horrible company. Aug 13, 2010

I completely agree with everyone. I had signed a contract for sessions twice a month and gave the trainer (a representative of Custom Built Personal Training) CASH and card as back up. After signing, I could not get in touch with this trainer or any other trainer in fact to receive the nutrition information I had already paid for. When I tried calling CBPT, they were extremely rude and did not care what had happened and said the only way I can cancel is to pay for the next month AND a $250.00 fee. This company is a complete rip-off and I will not pay them. I declared fraud on my bank account so they can't take money any longer.

• Ck
    ckshome Jun 23, 2010

Total rip off company! Immediately upon signing up, I discovered that it was not 'working out' that I needed according to my doctor, but was told that I could not cancel unless I had a permanent injury! I did not have a permanent injury, but a back problem, and my doctor said he did not have information about the beginning of my signing up injury so would not sign a note for me. I was screwed. I have no options but to cancel my card and worry about my credit later. I just dont care. Im not going to let them take another dime from me, that I am not getting services for! The real problem here is that they are within their contract rights to do what they do! I will not recover my lost funds, but have learned a valuable lesson! They are not a company of integrity and they dont seem to care what their customers think! I could picket the gym, post posters saying not to do business with them, but we all should just be more careful! I wasnt, sadly.

tiggertwo47 Jun 23, 2010

Let me know if your idea works.

• Us
    USMC Veteran Jun 23, 2010

I'm down south in Bakersfield. I may have an idea, but I'm not sure where it'll get me. Hopefully out of this City and no where near a CBPT.

tiggertwo47 Jun 23, 2010

If I find a way I will let you know so far no luck for me. Is there anyone getting their money back??? I am going to try to call the local news that has a consumer help line and see where I get. Anyone in or about the Sacramento to Turlock area of Ca?

• Us
    USMC Veteran Jun 23, 2010

I could really use some kind of help getting my money back. These guys are really getting more bang for their bucks...

• Le
    Leeperi Jun 21, 2010

I found out if they send you in to collections. There is a letter you can send to all 3 credit bureaus and request that it's removed from your credit report. Cancelling my card will give me more of a negative on my credit report. Working with my bank to keep future charges off my card from this so call merchant. I'll keep you posted.

tiggertwo47 Jun 21, 2010

Be carefull cancelling your card leads them to turn you into collections and it messes up your credit. I have another payment that they are taking and am over $2000 in but finally believe they are done stealling from me. Good luck. Let me know if you find a way to get your money back.

• Le
    Leeperi Jun 21, 2010

You are absolutely correct about Custom Built being crooks. I signed up for a personal trainer for (3) three months. After I left the Gym, the person who signed me up called and said the rate he quoted was incorrect and would need to charge a higher amount. Plus he said he would add a few more days of training. They took $406.00 initially from my credit card. That was March 16, 2010. Since then, I've had a trainer 6 times. I was suppose to have a trainer 3 x's a week. (only 20 minutes each time) Now they have gone and taken another $360.00 from my account. I called and told them about this and that I am an unhappy customer. I am going to be forced to cancel my card account because they will charge my card again for $360.00. I have already paid $766.00 for service I am not receiving. Getting 2 and 3 calls daily from a Ms McVay. How can they get away with this type of thing?