Corelle, Dishesexplosive plates & bowls / injury, blindness, & death

J

I have experienced that the Corelle Dinnerware set purchased some 15 years ago to have a very explosive nature. Some of the dishes exploded just sitting in the cabinet, but the last experience almost maimed my wife. Their needs to be some sort of warning sent out about this product. This could be very dangerous to anyone as when these dishes explode they shatter into millions of small pieces of glass, like the shrapnel of a bomb, that can limbed into the skin and unless removed can cause death. The human body does not expel glass as do wood splinters, instead it digs deeper and can eventually find it’s way to an artery where it could lead to internal bleeding that would kill you. I even believe that at this point maybe a national recall on the product should be made as it is hazardous to your health.

James Edwin Close Feb 18, 2021

I'll add to the disturbing stories here: Last night I put a Corelle plate on an electric burner on my range to heat the plate up a bit before plating food; I've never done this before with these plates, but didn't expect what happened shortly after I jacked up the temp on the burner (should not have done that, admittedly) to hasten the warming. I had just plated the food, when there was a LOUD bang and the plate literally exploded all over the kitchen into both large and small shards. Fortunately, I was not in the way (a miracle, really), and there were glass shards everywhere. It was quite the mess.

Interestingly enough just last week I watched a show on PBS' NOVA exploring materials; among other things they showed interesting things about glass and how glass behaves. They showed what happens when hot molten glass is placed on a tempered glass sheet. Not long after the hot blob was placed on the glass, the entire sheet shattered. I believe what happened last night was a similar phenomenon that is common to tempered glass.

• Ka
    Karla-Ken Conrey Jan 16, 2021

I just have a plate explode in the microwave. Very bizarre.

• Da
    DavC Jan 02, 2021

My 4 years old Corelle bowl was just washed in tap water and left to dry on the rack for about 30 minutes. Heard a loud snap and noticed a bowl in the middle of some bowls had snapped into half. Missing bits from the corner I’ll now have to hunt for them. I’m always very careful and gentle with the bowls.
    From my understanding, these bowls are made from glass instead of the usual ceramic, and in order to make it strong, they use a tempering technique, where the exterior of the glass is cooled and hardened before the interior does, so it creates a lot of internal tension which actually strengthens the bowl, that is until there is a flaw, like a microscopic scratch or a crack, then everything goes into a rapid disassembly, in other words explodes.
    When I tried to match the 2 pieces together, they fit perfectly in the middle, but not along the edges of the bowl. Shows how much tension there is in the structure. I’m thinking of getting rid of all my Corelle stuff now after reading all the other stories.

MikeInSanJose Dec 24, 2020

I'll just make a second post ...

Here's a photo of the debris field.

MikeInSanJose Dec 24, 2020

@MikeInSanJose And this site rotated my vertical image into a horizontal one. Weird!

MikeInSanJose Dec 24, 2020

Wow! Reading these stories of spontaneous Corelle explosions is very alarming.

I was astounded with the force of the explosion when yesterday one of our small Corelle plates (7-3/8-inch diameter) fell off our kitchen counter down onto our porcelain tile floor. One of the shards flew back up onto the counter! I found it intersesting that so many of the shards were thin crescent filaments.

Are there any technical articles about what details/features of the Corelle material causes such explosive disassembly ... even without (in some cases described in earlier posts) without being dropped onto a hard surface?

(Below I've included pictures of my debris field ... taken from opposite directions ... and an unbroken plate 9for reference and scale.)

MikeInSanJose Dec 24, 2020

@MikeInSanJose I originally posted two photo of the debris field and the example plate ... but my post shows only the third photo. I don't see how to edit my post to show the debris photo, rather than just the unbroken plate.

• Da
    DanaLP Dec 23, 2020

I have two sets of Correlle (golden wheat pattern) about 40 years old. No issues until tonight. I dished up a hot casserole into a clean bowl taken direct from the cupboard. The bowl shattered into about twelve pieces as soon as the hot food cane in contact with the bottom of the bowl. Luckily the broken pieces were fairly large. The hot food hit my hand and most of the broken bowl ended up on the counter. The pieces that dropped to the floor were somewhat cushioned by the food, so didn't shatter further. I hope I found all the pieces. After reading all these posts, I'm a little worried. I like the dishes because they are lightweight and easy to clean, but if the internal structure of the glass has lost integrity and morphed into something dangerous, it's time to get rid of them.

• Jh
    JHuber Oct 09, 2019

Hi! Add us to the list of plates breaking into a gazillion small, sharp pieces that shatter/fly in all directions near and far. Both times this past year it was when someone’s grip slipped getting the plate from the cabinet and it landed on the granite countertop. I understand that things will break in certain circumstances, but my issues with these is how they break (Sharp countless pieces that even stuck into my kitchen wall backsplash grout!) and how dangerous it is. The cleanup process took me and two other adults at least an hour of combing every surface within a 15-20 foot perimeter. We had to move appliances clean out drawers And cabinets and beneath (when we opened up drawers little pieces fell off the little lip edges), and the floor we swept with a broom, then a vacuum, then with a wood floor stick and Bona at least threes times. They landed in our utensil holders, condiment caddy’s, plant’s... you name it! It was awful! I would rather buy plates that chip and crack then deal with that again!

Answer Me Jun 07, 2019

I thought I was losing my mind until I decided to google Corelle exploding. I was getting a plate to serve and I took one from the cabinet and put it down on the countertop ( not even dropping, just putting it down). It literally exploded all over my roast chicken, my vine grape leaves wraps, mashed potatoes, beans. It went everywhere. It wasn’t an exaggerated when I say I literally had to vacuum the entire kitchen and still find sharp breakings days later.

Roy Keith Apr 16, 2019

Pictures for previous comment.

Roy Keith Apr 16, 2019

We have been using our Corelle dishes for many years. Some of the same pattern came from my mother's house, who died 26yr ago. So it is safe to say some might be over 30yr old. We have traveled over 360, 000 miles in 2 motor homes, cruised thousands of miles in our boats, and use at home every meal. We had one dish explode while sitting on an electric stove burner that had been left turned on by error several years ago. We obviously blamed ourselves for that. But last night we had completed dinner and were sitting at the table talking when my (husband) plate exploded into thousands of pieces right in front of me. The plate had a small amount of uneaten food in its center and had not been touched for several minutes. I had shrapnel imbedded in my lined flannel shirt, in my lap, across the dining room, and across the carpeting. It took an hour to pick up larger pieces, brush, vacuum, and wipe away the slivers of material, some only dust sized. This shattering could have happened while serving the plate, or carying it to the table, or while eating. How can we ever trust this dinner ware again?

• Ve
    Very Very Concerned mom Aug 19, 2018

My 11yo was getting his snack out of the overhead microwave which was on a corelle dish, he took it out with an oven mitten and the plate exploded in his hand. I was frightened as was he. He had a piece of the dish in his hand. I'm grateful he didn't get injured. They should recall or warn people of the danger.

• Si
    Silvia Griselda Hanson Buongiorne Nov 07, 2018

@Very Very Concerned mom Yes, that happens to us quite frequently. A bowl exploded into small sharp shards in a public place surrounded by adults and kids. Fortunately nobody was hurt. It says under the dinnerware “Chip and break resistant” not tru. I expected a few large pieces but not the explosion that ensued! Scary!

• Mo
    mom72 May 27, 2018

My daughter was sitting on the couch beside me eating in a cereal bowl on her lap when suddenly we heard a loud noise like a loud pop then she started screaming. The Corelle bowl just exploded on her lap, good thing she was wearing a dress and not shorts so the shards was caught on her dress, but the small pieces were all over the couch. I tried to get up, but to my horror my foot was bleeding a shard got caught on my foot just as I was sliding off the couch. It was bleeding and throbbing, made me think I might need to go to the ER, but it did stop. Meanwhile, my other daughter tried to clean up and took charge of the situation. My younger daughter who had the bowl on her lap didn't get any injury, a little traumatized and said she wouldn't be using those bowls ever. I heard about Corelle products exploding and breaking into million pieces in the past, experienced and witnessed it myself over the years, but never while eating. My foot is still throbbing and it does look better, but I want to warn my friends because this is not something we just overlook, we have small kids to look after.

• Li
    Lisa-mom Oct 18, 2017

At college, my son was laying in bed in the middle of the night in his efficiency apartment, when he heard a a loud CRACK that woke him up. He thought someone inside the building had shot a gun. Frightened, he got up to investigate. He found that the sound had come from one of the Corelle dishes that he had washed earlier and laid out to dry on the counter. It had spontaneously exploded! Two days later, he said he is still freaked out! I had given him my old set of Corelle when he moved from home and purchased a new set for myself. The old set is approximately 12-15 years old.

• Me
    meden Jun 25, 2017

unpacked my dishwasher and a bowl splintered into two large and many little pieces. Some of shards got into drain pipe of dishwasher and now it needs fixing.

• Jp
    J_Pa_Mc Apr 28, 2017

Just an hour ago my wife and I and several of our kids were in the kitchen preparing a meal. Suddenly an explosion sounded from the cupboard followed by tinking noises of pieces of glass falling all over the counter top and floor since the cupboard door was open. Thankfully nobody was injured as my wife's face was a mere 2 feet directly in front of the plate in the cupboard. We found a platter had spontaneously shattered while stacked atop another platter. Nothing had touched it, nothing was stacked on top of it, nothing was causing any movement, vibration, or anything else that could possibly explain it. This platter simply shattered into a few big chunks with many shards of glass sent flying in all directions. To further add to the frustration we had just finished spending 30 minutes preparing a meal for starving children which was ruined as it was on the counter just outside and below the cupboard. We had to evacuate the children from the area, move all the other dishes from the cupboard to the dishwasher, painstakingly wipe down every surface in the kitchen, and mop the floor because these tiny shards are to small to see and this is the safest way to clean up. Now what do we do?...risk this happening again?...what if it injures someone? We can't afford to just throw out all our dishes and buy new ones!

Mary Reinert Feb 11, 2017

I had two dirty plates and miscellaneous items in the dishwasher from the night before. The next morning, I heard a strange "pop" and a thingling sound but had no idea what it was until I went to put more dishes in the dishwasher to find one of the Corelle plates had completely shattered sending extremely sharp shards all over the dishwasher. I was totally confused but Googled "exploding Corelle" and found so many examples of this happening. Who knew? Crazy. Since I've had these plates for about twenty years, they have served their time and I'm getting rid of the other seven plates. I had my two small grandchildren here and can't imagine how this might have been if the plate was sitting on the counter.

• Th
    theodora1014 Nov 04, 2016

Hello, I just bought 8 corelle swept mugs brand new (14oz) that were supposed to be porcelain but are so heavy the look and feel like cheap stoneware. They are ugly for sure and look like ones you can buy for a buck at a dollar store. Very upset so I called Work Kitchens and asked for a refund of all monies including shipping and they argued with me and said no. No matter what their policy is no return on shipping and handling. They kept saying you ordered porcelain and you got porcelain. I said yes but cheap heavy porcelain not at all like a good cup that should be light weight. These are heavy and porcelain should not be heavy. I will never buy another corelle product of any kind again or anything from the world kitchen line as they have rude, poor customer service. I tell you this, if a dish explodes and hurts me or my grand kids, I will sue them directly. they know they are making cheap poor products and yet they continue to do so and charge a lot for them and then treat you rudely on the phone and have a scam going in that they will not return you the shipping and handling for any reason. Who needs them? I don't.

• Do
    Dotty Ann Oct 29, 2016

My story is the same as all the above. Making dinner, no hot or cold exchanges in temperature going on, out of he clear blue a serving bowl exploded all over the counter top, covering the steaks, salad and potatoes being prepared for dinner. Bizarre, without any provocation. I have had Corelle pieces in my life for many years, my parents owned a set when I was growing up. This has never happened before to me. I've dropped them and when they do break it's a rather nasty hail of shards but this was like I said without any provocation. It was also a relatively new piece that I had acquired within the last 5-7 years so it wasn't because it was terribly worn. I have removed all Corelle from my life. Such a shame, I really loved them but not any more.

Savannah Adkins Jun 05, 2016

I was eating dinner with my grandparents, who have a set estimated to be about 12 years old, when a smaller snack plate exploded in the cabinet. The force of it pushed the 2-3 pieces it broke into to different spots in the cabinet.

CRAZY, WE JUST COULDN'T BELIEVE IT!!!
    NO it hadnt just come out of the dishwasher. It had been sitting in the cabinet unused and untouched for several days. It did not shatter, but broke into about 3 pieces. The whole thing was very scary, I'm glad my grandparents were not hurt.

• Sh
    Shilpa Sharma Mar 27, 2016

I got a corelle diva set as a wedding gift 3 years ago so my dishes are relatively new. Imagine my horror when I heard loud cracking sounds at 2 am like someone is breaking in through a window. I didn't know whether to be relieved or be scared about a possible haunting when we figured out the source of the heartstopping pops was the shattered corelle plate sitting on the kitchen counter. No dropping no nothing, just spontaneous shattering. How is corelle still allowed to sell these?

• Ba
    BarbW61 Jan 04, 2016

I've been using Corelle dishes for 30+ years without any issues until the last month when a bowl shattered as I pulled it out of the cupboard cutting my hand. Now, just a couple of weeks later I see that a piece came off the rim of another bowl that I ate from just last night without explanation. Too bad, I always liked Corelle but I'm no longer comfortable using these dishes.

• Iv
    Ivy krein Jan 03, 2016

I was eating off of my 4 year old corelle plate and it exploded! I'm lucky it didn't get in my eyes because shards went everywhere. Throwing these in the garbage can.

• Bi
    bigrockcreek Jul 05, 2015

I have stacked my bowls this way for 13 years without a problem. Tonight, I was in the kitchen when I heard a loud POP, and glass fell out of my kitchen cabinet. The door to the cabinet was closed, but the pop pushed it open far enough for glass to fall out. Shocked, I opened the cabinet door, and the bowl had exploded. In the cabinet. Nothing had fallen on it. The bowl hadn't been hot, or fresh out of the dishwasher. No visible cracks or anything when I put it away. What on earth?!

• KAMA'AINA_WARRIOR Mar 19, 2015

DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH!!! Corelle absolutely sucks!!! Even as a child in the 70's, I too grew up with these mini sharapnel bombs. We had thick linoleum floors, so when they did fall, many times they were left intact, except those special times when they'd hit the tile counters and it was a different story!!! My brother and I would be picking little razor sharp pieces of glass out of our arms and legs!!! Fast forward to last night, my husband and I were doing dishes and he dropped my 90 year old aunts decades old small white corelle bowl...BAM! It hit the tile floor and this sucker blew up and he was bleeding from his ankle and I from my foot...like the above post, my disabled sons service dog narrowly escaped serious danger, since the bowl fell almost directly in front of her face, where she was laying on the kitchen floor!!! She was up and running practically before it the floor, and still manages to get 2 small pieces lodged in her paw and it bleed quite a bit upon removal. I swear, this stuff is obnoxious and I can't believe this company hasn't recalled them, do they still manufacter these unsafe weapons? If you threw a corelle plate at someone, you probably could inflict major damage to your victim upon impact. My sons dog was terrified, and she's trained to be damn near bomb proof...not corelle proof I guess. I HATE CORELLE!!!

• Bs
    B. Salkind Mar 08, 2015

Had a very scary experience a few nights ago, Have always been a fan of Corelle dishes since they first came out. My mother always bought them for our kitchen as we had five kids in our home. they had always advertised how unbreakable they were, going so far as to offer replacements on chipped or broken dishes. Over the years and nine kids later I was still a Corelle fan. (only other choice for me was a large supply of paper plates, bowls, etc. After witnessing the the absolute EXPLOSION of a dinner plate the other night I thing Corelle should consider warning customers about this potential hazard before a tragedy occurs. I had to throw out our special family dinner that my daughter spent hours preparing. ; we don't all have these occasions very often since the kids are (almost all grown and are away at school or at work at all different hours.) We are still finding shards of glass in places fifteen feet away. One of our Yorkies was almost severely injured but they got her out in time. Had to throw out ALL THE FOOD because break was so intense it reached all the food on the table. Mashed potato filled with glass shards is hardly an appetizing thought. Threw out four London Broils, countless side dishes, and not one person here would even order out. Believe me, a traumatic experience for all. My son took photos and my daughter took a video of the aftermath because nobody would have believed it. On the positive side, I am just very thankful that there were no major injuries(so far, still finding glass) . Please post a warning!

• Ab
    abe3 Mar 02, 2015

PIECE FOUND 17 FEET AWAY! Late last night, I dropped an older Corelle bowl on my tile kitchen floor from a height of less than 3 feet and it literally exploded. After cleaning shards from the kitchen and adjoining living and dining rooms for over an hour, I though everything was up, except for possible slivers in the jute rug which I decided to vacuum carefully in the morning. This morning, I found a piece on the SEAT of an upholstered chair 12 feet away and a larger piece on the floor 17 feet from where the bowl broke. I am now afraid to have my family walk barefoot (or even sit!) in my beach house until every square inch is thoroughly cleaned. The smaller slivers are caught in crevices between wood flooring, and the new vinyl floor has marks that cannot be repaired. This is a nightmare but, luckily, so far, no injuries as some of you have experienced. I have loved the weight of the Corelle dish set and used them for years, even though my daughter thinks they are tacky. I am putting the Corelle in the trash right away, being most careful handling it, and will use my Fiesta dishes for every day. Has Corelle admitted to anything or reimbursed anyone? I agree, there should be a national recall. I'd hate to think what could have happened if a child had been nearby!

• Fc
    Fc4211 Feb 11, 2015

My 20 month old threw a plate. 7 stiches, emergency room... There should definitely be a warning that they shatter and are dangerous.

• Ab
    Abbazaba Dec 16, 2014

Read the back of the dishes. Break and Chip RESISTANT. Nowhere does Corelle claim to be unbreakable or shatter proof, or shatter resistant. They are amazingly durable GLASS plates. They are warrantied for three years against scratching, breaking or chipping. The reason they want you to send the bowl back is to discover if it was a simple breakage, or if there is a "lot" that is possibly defective. When a dish breaks around the rim, or the bottom falls out, it is probably a defect that the company needs to be made aware of. If you drop a GLASS plate on a GRANITE countertop, or a STONE or TILE floor it will possibly break and the company still will replace it for you within the three year warranty period.

• Ha
    Haydenshoulders Nov 10, 2014

My son was getting a correlle bowl out of an upper cabinet with his shirt off. He bumped the bowl and it fell to the granite counter top. The bowl exploded sending a large shard into his chest. It cut and stuck into his chest. He screamed and pulled it out- there was a good bit of blood! The cut was about a half inch long and the shard probably went in about a quarter of an inch. I'm glad it didn't hit his eye. This is the third correlle item to explode this year.

• Js
    js245436547 Nov 03, 2014

I bought a bowl because it was supposed to be shatter resistant. In fact, it shattered more than a regular bowl! As other reviewers have stated, it shattered into a million tiny pieces! When a normal bowl breaks, it breaks into a few big pieces that one can easily identify and pick up. With a corelle bowl, the pieces are so small they could easily not be seen and lodge in someone's foot. Animals could lick up the pieces which could cause serious health problems. I contacted the company's customer service and told them this, and I couldn't believe the response I got! 1. first they told me not to throw the bowl away because I might have to return it to them. I told them already that it shattered into a million pieces and I also contacted them days ago. Did they want me to send back abrasive white dust?? I'm pretty sure homeland security would be on my ### about that one. 2. they told me to call a customer service number. I already sent them an email, why should I have to take any more extra steps when the problem is 100% with their faulty product? I had never received such inept customer service when filing a product complaint. Do not buy corelle products!!

Mike Jespersen Jun 21, 2014

I love my Corelle, but I think it's in my interest to get rid of it. I sat on the couch holding a plate when it spontaneously shattered. I have owned Corelle dishes for many years and this is the first time something like this has ever happened.

• Fr
    Freakedoutperson123 Apr 07, 2014

While I was sitting on the couch, my Correlle plate spontaneously broke, it had cut up onions on it. The crack was a curvy line straight through the middle, it made a not-so-loud popping sound. I looked around and found a chipped part of the plate on the floor, I started to freak out because I never experienced this with any of my Correlle plates.

• Sh
    Shanerg Apr 01, 2014

15 seconds in the microwave, with a few ounces of pasta sauce in it. Picked up the cereal bowl with 2 hands, as it was hot, and the whole bottom of the bowl fell out. HOT sauce splattered on stove, my shirt, arm and landed on the floor. Looking at the bowl, it broke right at/above the sauce line.

• Re
    Ret. Officer Mar 06, 2014

No fluke. No joke. But actually no problem. Had a approximately 25 year old Corelle cereal bowl "explode" after being rinsed and placed on rack in dishwasher. Had been in there 24 hours waiting for full appliance and wash. The dish simply made a sound like a falling, shattering glass and I looked all over the house until the next day when put cereal bowl in back of top tray and noticed the broken bowl and mess. Strange phenomenon. Love the dishes, the pattern and the length of service. Would purchase again and find the occurrence interesting but non threatening.

• Sk
    Skinnyfat kid Feb 02, 2014

I have had a small set of patterned corelle dishes for about 4/5 yrs and have never had a problem with them but as per usual circumstances some pieces are missing or lost and my set has dwindled down even more. So I was looking online to replace/buy new set and came across all these horrible stories and am now worried if its even WORTH IT? I have never dropped any, and have used them normally as most people washing in dishwasher, heated dry, let soak in warm water, and microwaved them so I was shocked when I came across these stories. I would like to get some opinions before purchasing another set because it sounds like they are made with different process? or less quality which could cause this. So my questions are as to how this could happen, what were the circumstances leading up to it ( how did you treat/use your plates), is it worth it to get more if you take care of them, and has corelle responded to anyone regarding these instances and how do they intend to fix it? PLEASE RESPOND!

Rosesonata Jul 15, 2013

Happened all by itself

Rosesonata Jul 15, 2013

I put a Corelle bowl with sliced cukes on the counter. 2 hours later, I was working a couple feet from the bowl, nothing was touching it. I heard a loud pop and the bowl had spontaneously burst into 2 pieces with some shards. Weirdest thing.

Mayze Jun 23, 2013

One exploded in my sons hand straight from the cabinet YES it is glass duly noted BUT to actually explode with out any temperature change or any reason AND YES it EXPLODED all over the damn place

• Az
    azzie77 May 06, 2013

We bought a whole new set of corelle for our new home last sept. been happily using it till this scary incident in my kitchen yesterday. i was wiping my corelle plate with a paper towel before scooping some rice and suddenly there was a loud explosion! instinctively my hands let go of the plate as i was too shocked and dropped my corelle. it was already shattered into a million shards like a horrible explosion in my kitchen with shrapnel flying into our bathroom and living room. it was not funny as 1/2 more inches nearer to my face, that piece of innocent looking plate-aka- hand grenade could have maimed me for life. i called corelle's World Kitchen Asia Pte Ltd and the cust svc officer sounded shocked that it happened. tried to give reasons why it could have happened and even asked if i dropped my corelle. in my heart, regardless what caused the explosion, plates are not grenades & should not self-explode. she told me to bring it down to the mall where i bought the corelle stuff and they would have it replaced by the corelle promoter. my gripe is, i do not want it replaced (nor do i wish for another corelle) but i needed redress for the whole freaking series which i bought at more than $300 and now will never feel safe to use them anymore. what if it exploded in my dinner guests'face or their children?can corelle assure me that all the rest of their products will not explode for no reason albeit the supposed due care rendered by owners??? i don't need exploding plates & bowls but peace of mind. any possibility of a class action suit to be filed against them for no product warning??? i will thus stick to porcelain or bone china, heavy ya, will break ya, but i won't get a million shrapnel and they won't self-explode in my face for whatever convenient reason.sheesh. (see photo: sample of original plate before and after self-explosion)

• Fi
    filmguy24p Mar 06, 2013

Okay; so, new Corelle dishes might indeed shatter under extremes of thermal differential when hit just right. Corelle dishes that are a few years old will indeed shatter more easily than new ones, but seemingly still under the same unusual conditions (uneven heating, or just being hot, and being hit just right). But the alarming thing seems to be that OLD Corelle may be subject to spontaneous shattering! One web site says it's caused by a thing called "bruising" and/or "water impregnation" resulting from the cavitation from boiling water in them (e.g. in the microwave). The "bruising" happens when a plate has been hit or stacked (like I stack mine), and the bruising is not visible to the eye, but it leaves the ceramic crystalline structure of the dish compromised. The water thing, also, can cause a "cascade failure" (I don't think that means dishwasher detergent) inside the structure of the dish. Both of these, the bruising and the water impregnation, happen over time through normal usage, and both can lead to "unpredictable catastrophic failure." Yeah. I just finished a bowl of cereal, had set the bowl down next to me (a little milk left in the bottom and the spoon was resting inside), and about five minutes later there was a "tink" and the bowl was in five pieces! This is the third Corelle dish in as many weeks. Last week a plate exploded in the microwave. The week before a bowl shattered violently when dropped. Is it coincidence that it's happening more frequently?