YellowPages.com / Don't Advertise w/ YellowPages.com!

1 OH, United States Review updated:

I placed and a print ad as well as an online ad with YellowPages.com this past year. My original intention was just to advertise in the phonebook, but was informed that I could add an online ad for an extra $39.95 which could be canceled at any time. Well with the state of the current economy, my business closed down. I paid off the print for the rest of the year, but was told that it was impossible for me to cancel my online ad. So, I am paying to advertise a company that no longer exists. I call the YellowPages quite frequently and ask them to please remove my company from their site, because not only are they charging me, but I am getting unwanted phone calls from people that have seen the ad.

I didn't want to pay them at all, because the ad was definitely not what I expected and did not include the company's logo which I had sent them. But since the phonebooks is not exactly something that can be canceled after it has been printed, I felt it was my obligation to pay. As for the online ad, it is just ridiculous to me that they refuse to take it down. I have been trying to cancel it for the past year and have racked up a bill of around $300 because I am refusing to pay for a service that is not needed or wanted.

Does anyone know how far the YellowPages will actually carry this thing out? They call me every day and leave messages and constantly send me letters. I have paid them right around $2, 000 for nothing, but cannot see a point in giving them anymore for an online ad that I have been trying to cancel for a year. The $300 that I still owe isn't much compared to how much I have paid them, but I don't want to give into a company that clearly has no business ethics and operates by scamming people out of their money. I don't want to ruin my credit over something so dumb, but is there another way around this ordeal?

Cl

Comments

• Kg
      7th of Dec, 2009

I have been trying to quit my ad since 9/08 and they have no current contract with me. They continue to bill me and I have sent letters and made monthly phone calls to no avail. What did help is contacting the Federal Trade Commission at 1-877-382-4357. They tell me that if they get enough complaints of this nature that they will open an investigation into the problem. So please make the call. I am concerned that this may be a common business practice at AT&T and if that is the case we need all the help we can get.

• Re
      21st of Jan, 2010

I am sorry that you are not happy with yellowpages. I was looking online and found a website that you can have a FREE ebillboard. Just go to seekshallfind.com.

• Ju
      18th of Aug, 2010

I'm having the same problem, no contract and I want to cancel my ad. They said "we will send someone over" Never happen, three times. I'm just tired of this. I will call the federal trade ASAP. Thanks

• Ye
      16th of Sep, 2010

My name is Mathew Korba. I am the owner of Blue Ribbon Auto Glass Llc in Tacoma, Wa. I too attempted to advertise with the YPConnect program (yellow pages on-line), marketed by AT&T advertising. We are currently seeking businesses and individuals who have not received the services promised by Yellowpages.com Llc as sold by AT&T Advertising Solutions to partipate in a class action suite. The purpose of the suite is to recover financial losses incurred by mis-leading sales tactics and Yellowpages.com Llc's inability to deliver it's product as advertised. You are encouraged to participate.
    Please cal (253) 250-7262 or email BlueRibbonGlass@comcast.net for more information

• Ye
      1st of Feb, 2011

I want to thank all the wonderful individuals who have taken their time to respond to our comment/complaint and, apologize to those whom we have not returned contact. Your response (needless to say) has been over whelming. AT&T-Yellowpages.com and Blue Ribbon Auto Glass, Llc. have mutually agreed to terminate our contract and we have received a full refund. This does not excuse AT&T's misrepresentation of their product or unconscionable behavior. Nor does this make-up for our total financial losses. However, at this time we are not pursuing our law suite.

If I could pass on what this experience has shown me, I would say to, Not go quietly into the night. Let your voice be heard. File your complaint with as many organizations outside of ATT's control as possible. The BBB, Federal Trade commission, State Attorney Generals Office etc... If you are paying with a credit/debit card, STOP PAYMENT NOW! And dispute the charges with your card company (AT&T must prove their charges are valid to the card company and are not allowed to contact the person or business disputing the charges about the amount disputed until it is settled). If they do so, file a complaint with your card company (Visa/MC/AMEX/DC) not your bank. If you have been sent to collections, dispute the validity of the original bill. Make AT&T prove they provided the service. Your contract is for clicks, not calls. AT&T must show a preponderance of proof that your clicks are in accordance with your specific contract. The plain and simple truth is they can not. IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE THE SERVICE STATED IN YOUR CONTRACT, THE CONTRACT IS NOT VALID. Finally, USE the experience and advice given on the complaint board. It is a great resource!

Mathew Korba
    Blue Ribbon Auto Glass, Llc.