Wincorude out of line

Days after the incident it still seems surreal, my daughter being walked away accused of shoplifting. The police did not show up or were ever called instead it was Winco Supermarket Rent-a-Cop(s) who intimidated and extorted my daughter.
It started when my daughter and I accompanied by my three-year-old granddaughter went shopping at the Lancaster WinCo in Salem for our family holiday dinner December 21st. I like the prices and we have shopped there for years. The bulk of the food was in the basket I pushed because my granddaughter sat in the basket pushed by my daughter. Anyone who has small children knows how difficult they can be when their eyes light up at seeing the brightly package goods. Additionally, children get tired easily and neither my daughter or I can carry my 40lb granddaughter in WinCo for the two hours of shopping we needed to do.
In spite of all our best efforts, my granddaughter was still able to grab items off the shelf. My daughter personally put back princess raviolis, hair ties, and other things that companies use bright cartoon characters to market their products with. I saw my daughter put back the many items she had picked up throught out the store. To be honest, we were more concerned on our holiday shopping than making sure these items were returned to their rightful place. We just did not want the items in our baskets.
We have a large family so it was no surprise that at the end of our shopping trip the cashier rang up a $350 dollar tab while my daughter bagged the groceries, while my grandaughter played with a pink hair band. Not thinking anything about it, with our mind completely focused on bagging groceries and getting home to feed the family, I told my daughter she is going to break her hair band take it away from her. My daughter took it out of her hands and placed it on her purse and continued bagging the groceries. I paid for the items, then my daughter, granddaughter, and myself headed out talking and laughing to the parking lot. I was trying to hurry to my vehicle because my granddaughter was cranky and needed to be changed. It was here that our shopping experience went wrong. WinCo store security ran after us and stopped us in the middle of the parking lot. With the attitude of someone who had just caught John Dillinger, he said very confrontationally “Did you forget to pay for something?” I had just spent nearly four hundred dollars in that store, not knowing my granddaughter had a hair tie in her mothers purse worth pennies from all the items we put back on the shelf earlier. My daughter was taken back into the store against my will and advice, while I headed to the truck to change my granddaughter. Let me say this, I have enough experience with the law and I know my rights. Furthermore, I know, understand, and respect the need for security. However, when security starts making accusations, false threats, and refuses to call the police they become Rent-a-Cops in my eyes because they are not abiding by the law themselfs. They are creating it as they see fit.
I unloaded my groceries and changed my granddaughter and it was then I decided to head back into the store to find out what was going on with my daughter.See Top 10 Worst Companies in Salem, ORI rushed back into WinCo with my granddaughter on my hip to find my daughter was nowhere in sight. I went back out to the car to wait for the police to show, for I wasn’t going anywhere without my daughter. After fifteen minutes, my daughter came out to the car from WinCo's security offices in tears with a yellow peice of paper in hand with nothing but her signature on a pre-typed form requiring her to pay a mothly fee. My daughter told me she signed the agreement to pay the store $255 dollars for a theft she did not commit. Apparently, there was one hair band in my daughter’s purse that cost less than a dollar from a package of $5.60 hair ties that my granddaughter had opened. The store security had found the rest of the package somewhere in the store. One of the security intimidated her by making statements like; what happened to the Princess raviolis? Why didn't you steal those too? She wanted them as well! He searched her purse and questioned about every article she had in it asking if she had stolen each of those as well and if they were taken from their WinCo store. These items included items like a make-up brush bought from bath and body (name on the bottom of the brush) and a address book from a tanning salon she tans at. My daughter was told she was going to go to jail and the theft charges would go her record. Knowing that a criminal record would preventing her from having her dream career she immediately agreed to everything in tears. My daughter is 22-years-old and has heard the stories that her stepfather and I have told over the years and was terrified. Her stepfather and I are both law enforcement personnal and my daughter wants to go into law enforcement herself. The only thing she was guilty of is not keeping a better eye on my granddaughter and ignorance of the law. I looked for the phone number and address to WinCos National Headquarters, which the lancaster WinCo refused to give out with only the one piece of paper they gave her. When I called WinCo I was sent from person to person on the phone until I reached a answer machine, where I left a message and never received a call back. I wanted to contact them to know if they agree with the extortion policy their stores have. If my daughter was truly guilty of theft, then why weren’t the police called?
My daughter is young and was embarrassed and humiliated by the whole ordeal. She begged me at this point just to leave it alone, for they told her it would not show up on her record if she just paid $35 dollars a month (totalling $255). When your child is crying and pleading with you just to leave it alone, what do you do? However, I cannot let this go. Is this how WinCo keeps their prices low, through intimidation of naive young women? Refusing to accept payment for an honest mistake, they would rather extort 200+ percent? Where does this money go? Is this the policy of the national chain or just the Salem store? Incarcerated felons don’t get treated the way we were treated of this I personally know. How many others have been extorted like this? My daughter and I are Oregonians and Americans subject to laws of the state and the nation. Why are store security of a national chain allowed to treat Oregonians like we live underneath the Taliban?

Comments

Feb 19, 2009
    Winco - custmer service
    Oregon

when to winco on lascaster in salem the lines where long and asked if they could call someone, cashier theres noone to call what? and customer service would not take customers with a few items thats bad service ! the one on commerical is the best they take care of there customers!

Aug 03, 2010

In this case it isn't a false accusation though, she did walk out of the store with something that didn't belong to her. You contradict yourself saying your daughter took it from her kid and put it on/in her purse then you say it was the granddaughter who did it. Keep your story straight otherwise you look fishy.
    Plus your granddaughter did end up opening a product and I think her parent should have to pay for that and I find it sort of nasty of you two to just be so flippant about her doing such a thing. You just think the product should have been left in the store, damaged. Great parenting skills you're passing on there.
    Should she have to pay 255 bucks? In the long run, no. She should get a back bone though. I bet she had a cell phone, she could have called the cops herself, you could have called the cops. Instead she agrees to paying them hundreds of dollars. Part of me wants her to have to stick to what SHE signed. No gun was pointed to her head, words are just words.

• El
      Aug 03, 2017

@midge87 Wow who the hell are you to judge her

Aug 03, 2010

Oh, and Oregonians..really? You're not that AND American. You're just American. You being from Oregon doesn't make a lick of difference.
    I come from Washingon, my being a Washingtonian means I'm above you and thus rule you... riiight? Yeah, no. It's just a state you reside in, hon.

• El
      Aug 03, 2017

@midge87 Get a life midget..

• Us
      Sep 14, 2010
    Winco - Bulge can coods
    WINCO grocery store
    Vacaville
    California

Festival brand of canned grapefruit from Turkey had slight bulge in the top and bottom of the cans purchased in August 2010. When opened, the juice squirted out. Winco custumer service didn't believe anything was wrong with the cans returned and planned to put them back on the shelf.

• Bw
      Jun 19, 2011

Sort of same thing happened to me, although I was with my 15 year old son, I put a box of prilosec in the cart, it keep falling out of the cart and I think I ran it over at least twice, after that I set the box on the top part of the cart which is also where my purse was. Unfortunately, as the cart filled more things were placed in the same area, finally almost done with shopping, my unzipped purse fell to the ground with everything spilling out onto the floor, as my son gathered my medications, wallet, change, and misc. papers, the smashed box of Prilosec he put in my purse too, thinking it from my purse to start with, he know I lived on them so they are always in my purse. Not thinking twice about it, we finished and proceeded to the checkout. spent over $230.00, I'm not going to take a $10 box of Prilosec! As we began to walk out the doors, we were stopped by 3 security guards, yes a very intimidating procedure! They accused me of having my son steal it, and accused my son of trying to be "cool" and thinking he got away with something, told him he wouldnt be able to go to college and it would be on his record fo life which is un true! he's 15!! No police were called but to let us leave, they handed me to papers to sign, 1 a fine for my son for $150.00 and for me since I was with him $250.00 fine! I don't understand why we were both given fines, and it was an error, my son was irritated with me when my purse fell, so he was yelling at me, they said that was when we were conspiring to steal the product!!! They are rude and try to intimidate a 49 year old single mom and a 15 year old boy, he is not big- 5'9", 120lbs-skinny athletic kid!!! Hope they felt good about their behavior and tactics, I wish they would have called the police, but they wouldn't so after 45 minutes of trying to get us to say something that wasn't true, we were finally able to leave, they wouldnt let me buy the prilosec there, and just gave me the 2 papers with a total of $400 in fines for a stupid mistake!! BE CAREFUL!!!

• Do
      Oct 20, 2011

I am sorry for that you encountered and had to go through. It's a disgusting practices Winco Foods had been implemented for years. They use 3 people to accuse their customer for shoplifting and force the customer to go to the back room and sign the demand agreement or they will call the police. The civil demand is $250 plus the unpaid merchandise in their civil recovery Without calling the police. IT'S their MOMEY Makeing Scheme. Be careful when shopping at Winco and expect an accusation or DON'T SHOP there at all!!!

• Da
      Dec 28, 2011

The 82nd ave location's administrative staff are horrible (Crystal the secretary excluded)! I worked as a checker for the 82nd Ave, Portlan OR location, the graveyard shift. It was very tough, especially being 82nd avenue with all the weirdos coming in there every night. One morning I was totally exhausted and my lunch break was at 5am or so. Another checker took over as usual (Qolin/Colin (forgot the spelling)), and a line formed while I was getting my bagel at the bulk section of the bakery. I (stupidly) decided to go ahead and eat the $0.33 bagel and I paid for it a few weeks later by having the checker charge me for an additional bagel when I only had one in hand. I paid for it with the checker named Colin. Mind you all bagels are thrown out each morning and replaced with fresh bagels. So I grabbed a bagel that was about to be thrown in the trash compactor. Well, apparently the administrative staff reviewed the surveillance video and some how came across that I paid for a bagel without paying. They fired me despite me telling them that all they had to do is to interview Colin and he would tell them that I charged an extra bagel one day when I only had 1 in my hand. I also had a receipt but didn't have it on me. The 'firing staff' that they hired were rude and tried to make me think that I was some kind of criminal! I was fired but luckily the assistant manager let me continue to shop there (I wouldn't be trespassed). Don't work for this place. I saw day-time staff come in in the morning when they are buying some breakfast, with stress on their faces. I saw night time shelf stockers who didn't have much to look forward to except to try their best to meet the quarterly quota of the store. Stay in school like I did and become a Computer Engineer! -Sincerely, [protected]@aol.com

• Je
      Nov 25, 2012

boo hoo, people are rude and cross the line. we have no control over what other people do or how a store implements their shop lifting policy. we do however have control over ourselves and you should be able to manage a baby on a shopping trip. yes, kids grab stuff! you should not be so caught up in your $400 shopping experience that you forget that you are in a store, with merchandise, and shoplifting is never tolerated. everyone has a story, everyone has a reason. sounds like the people at this store were out of line and mean, but how about instead of crying about it, own up to what happened. that baby sh ould not have been given the chance to grab stuff from the shelf. when we have kids, we have to watch them. even when we're shopping. or don't bring them. you can't commit a crime, intentional or not, it was a crime, and then ### and moan about how you were treated. this is exactly what is wrong with people today. everyone feels entitled to be treated like their ### don't stink.

• Cd
      Feb 05, 2013

Though my story doesn't take place in Salem Oregon, it's in Modesto CA, I feel the need to chime in, as it's looking more and more like Winco is using terrorist methods to extort people all over the country. (And before anyone complains about the use of the word 'terrorist': The dictionary definition of terrorism is: the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes. Using the fear of police action, especially where it concerns small children to force people to pay-under-the-counter 'restitution fees' certainly applies.)

My wife was just stopped and harassed by a Winco loss prevention team. They claim they have her on video stealing a pack of hair ties and a string of plastic beads two days ago, they waited until we were walking outside the store then stopped with our children, threatening to physically drag her in if she didn't go voluntarily.

They then physically detained her and threatened to call the police and have her placed under citizens arrest if she didn't agree to sign a paper promising to pay them $250 in restitution fees, promising to tear up the paper she signed after she payed. They refused to show us the video in which she is supposedly stealing the items, threatening again to call the police if we demanded to see the video.

We, in fact, PAYED for the items she is accused of taking and even showed them the receipt. The Loss Prevention Officer took the receipt from her, said if she brought it up again they were going to call the police and then told her that she had no receipt, and if she did, it wouldn't matter because she could have just stolen DIFFERENT items.

• Ur
      May 17, 2013

First of all the woman at the top of the comments... your nasty and obviously don't have kids or just kids that never got caught..don't be such a ### :)
    Aside from that the same thing happened to me I was shopping had a huge shopping cart full of groceries and other random things, I was shopping with my 16 month old son who by the end of trip was getting rather fussy, I quickly paid and bagged all my items and threw them into the cart as I was leaving a security guard stopped me and asked if I had forgotten to pay for something I told him no and he could check my receipt he then asked me about the hair die, I wasn't sure what he was talking about then he pointed to my cart and sure enough wedged in the side of the cart between my son and the crack was a box of hair die he pulled us into a little room my shopping cart included and grabbed my purse and started going through it constantly accusing me of stealing other items I had in my purse and asking where I stole those items from, it is not uncommon for woman to carry make up and deodorant in their bags all opened and used of course, at this point I was a crying mess they had a girl who was completely degrading me and a guy telling me if I didn't sign the paper he was going to involve the police and then it would be on my record I was freaking out cause I have a retail job and a son and was worried how that would affect everything so reluctantly I signed the paper, after I went home and told my boyfriend he was furious he also comes from a family of law and was putting on his shoes half way through my story I asked him not to go because the security guy told me if I fought him about it he would press charges and if for some magical reason the judge found me guilty and I got a theft on my record being a mom I would be broken, sad thing about all this is it wasn't even in my purse I had no idea I didn't pay for it I had full intentions for buying it along with the 200+I had just spent on everything else win co is a terrible place to go with people that could care less about you just to get an extra buck and for those of you who want to be just as ignorant, I hope you find yourself in the same situation, good luck with that.

May 17, 2013

Yep, it's totally someone else's fault that YOU couldn't watch your (or should I say 'ur') kid. Obviously, your kid can do whatever they like and you are completely unaccountable for it.
    ...
    Oh wait, that's not right. You made the kid so you are actually responsible for what it does. Imagine that. So, my dear, 'ur_welcome', take care of your responsibilities, don't try and blame others, don't try and attack those who are online and post the truth, and above all else, get over yourself. I'd hate to think you have offspring that will grow up like you. Poor thing.

• Wi
      Dec 20, 2013

This is called unlawful imprisonment. If they were really going to press charges they would have called the police which would have put a stop to the gorilla tactics they use. They just told an innocent woman they were going to have her deported and she would never be allowed back in the United States after confiscating her passport (illegal) and they found NOTHING on her. She had picked up a lipstick and they had not seen her put it back down but she had and she didn't have it. Did that stop them? Of course not!! We have hired an attorney and she will get more than her $250.00 dollars back I guarantee it. She does not read English yet they forced her to sign a legal document that she could not read. What amazes me in these stories is that these are good customers of theirs. Most of these people, including us, have spent more than $200 in their store. Holding someone against their will is called kidnapping, taking money to let them go is called extortion. Wake up and smell the coffee. Maybe they can get a class action suit going here.

• Ko
      Feb 03, 2016

My wife just got the winco raw deal at the Mcminnville branch because of her client ( one who competes in the special Olympics) walked out with a cart full of groceries while my wife went into bathroom. The rent a cop came at the mentally challenged elderly lady like Hawaii 5 0. After trying to explain to the rent a cop that my wife's client doesn't understand due to her mental abilities, he proceeded to accuse my wife of telling her to do it. WTF. Really!! Cold hearted!! This is BS trying to extort $350 from a mentally handy cap person.

• Sy
      May 07, 2016

This just happened to me! I live in Idaho and I recently sprained my ankle. I was running in for a quick Mother's Day shopping and I picked up a few other things. I didn't grab a cart when I started because I only thought I was getting flowers and a card!! So a few small things I had in my pockets. Well the nail polish i ud in one pocket fell out as I was walking with my crutches so I picked it up and went to the self checkout. I spent over $20 there. I start to leave.. I don't even get out the door and the "rent a cop" stops me and asks "did you forget to pay for something." I said no I don't think so you can check my bags" he replies "it's obviously not in there.." So I hand him everything I was holding including my purse and my keys to check my pockets.. Remembering that I had put stuff in there before.. It's a baggy sweat shirt and I didn't have a cart. I pull out one thing if makeup and say " oh man!! I'm really sorry! I forgot this was in here I'll go pay for it real quick." He grapes it out of my hand and. Said "to late.. Follow me!" So I do as he says and he reached for a door and said.. "Once you are in there you will put ur stuff on the counter and sit quietly in the coner" I complied and when he asked if this is my first time ever shop lifting I said " I've never shop lifted before.. If I would have rememberd it was there I would have gone back and paid for it myself.. I'm really sorry about all this." He asked me how many times I go to that specific win-co I said "maybe 2 or 3 times a week.. Maybe more... I live right across the street." He replied well I'm going to have you sign this no trespassing paper for leagle reasons but you are aloud back in the premises when ever you want. It's just for documentation. Also you owe us $255 and since I know u obviously can't pay that all right now you can give us $35 a month." I asked for what perpous I was willing to pay for the makeup.. And he just told me I could go after typing all my drivers license info into the computer and taking my picture. I didn't even get out the door!!! I want to fight it but I don't want to make it worse and have them press charges. What can I do?

Mar 16, 2018

Just had a horrific experience of seeing loss prevention in Modesto, CA Winco beat the daylights out of a man right in front of my boys who were scared so bad we won't be shopping there again. Security (3 of them at least twice the mans size) tackled the man, then slammed his head into the floor. The man rolled over in pain and they grabbed his throat and choked him until he stopped making sound. They hit him in the head and face and he was bleeding and yelling for them to stop. They put handcuffs on him and took him away laughing and acting satisfied with themselves. Loss prevention has no more right to assault a person than you or I do even if said person is stealing. They are NOT Law enforcement!! The police don't even have the right to assault a criminal like that. We'd crucify them if they did. If I wasn't so worried about protecting my boys I would have grabbed my cell phone and recorded it. After reading all this I am appalled at such an awful place and I for sure will never set foot in the place again. Shame shame shame on Winco!!! Winco is awful!!

Jul 13, 2018

I should warn others about the flipside of the shoplifting coin.
    This is the situation where you purchase something, but you don't take it out of the store, because for instance, you walked to the store, but realize you need to come back with the car to get it home. A 24 pack of Dasani bottled water in my case. Even without contact with store security, something will coincidentally occur to warn you of the increased possibility of a negative encounter with security.
    Best advice to all: Take great care that you do not accidentally walk out with unpaid items or actually try to shoplift.
    DO NOT cause or give yourself reason to return to a Winco store to pickup an already paid for item. Do not create any need for a return trip on any unresolved issue for any reason. The large number and nature of complaints on this site concerning Winco foods indicate that this is an inherently hazardous place to shop. I have compared the store in Hemet CA to all other grocery stores in town and they are all normal and safe.
    Winco Foods in this comparison, is Unique, but in comparison to other winco locations listed in these complaints, very oddly consistent.
    Basically seems that Winco allows employees' expressions of their dysfunctional relationships from home to come out in public behavior involving innocent unwary customers in Winco store locations mentioned in these complaints. BE CAREFUL or avoid this situation completely, no savings on prices can justify such a risk.
    I'm HAPPY to pay more for a SAFE and NORMAL shopping environment!

• He
      Oct 08, 2018

Beware of WinCos extortion to keep prices low! I had a very similar issue in Salt Lake City, I was comparing vitamins and could not see the small print on the back of the bottles, I grabbed a pair of $7 reading glasses (identical to 30 pair I left at home!) used them and out of habit stuck them on the top of my head (with a square plastic price tag in plain view) I figured I’d use them, buy them and add them to my collection...after 20 minutes of shopping I checked out with $145 of groceries and got stopped on the sidewalk enroute to my car...I was asked if I had “forgotten to pay for something?” I looked down at my cart and stated no I don’t think so, the man asked “what about the glasses on top of your head”. I shouted oh my goodness yes I totally forgot I’ll run in and take care of that right now! Nope! I was told I had shoplifted and was either going to pay $255 restitution to winco or they would call the police. I’ve never so much as stolen a peanut from bulk foods! I pleaded my case that it was a complete mistake (and why would I steal $7 glasses and pay for $145 worth of groceries??) to no avail, I was frightened and upset by my own absent mindedness and was sitting alone in WinCos security office told to “sign this and pay this”. I left completely upset and embarrassed by my stupid mistake and will never set foot in winco again!

Oct 09, 2018

In CA THAT'S A TYPE (Oops) of shoplifting. Although totally non intentional, it can definitely land you in a court room facing a misdemeanor.
    There is another possible legal issue of extortion by the security at winco, but that all depends on the legal definition of extortion in your municipality, they may be using a legal loophole, but more likely, a good percentage will pay up to $300 to avoid arrest and a criminal record, the fine, maybe even a case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I'm So Sorry to hear that happened to you, i have to assume you didn't read my post before that happened, I didn't find this forum for complaints until a month after i was banned from EVERY winco ON PLANET EARTH. I never stole anything, I just spotted all the creepy things that happened at my local winco over the last 5 years and reported to their corporate headquarters that i used the rules of the scientific method along with a couple of added rules that greatly clarified my many odd observations of behavior by management, employees AND customers.
    I can definitely tell you that winco staff and its customers do NOT appear to accept norms of behavior or the rule of law, even our constitutional rights to freedom of speech or protection from illegal search and seizure. Whenever i was there after D Dump was inaugurated i had the sense that many of these people would one day form or join dome type of pro trump, anti constitution/government/establishment.
    Another thing i can tell you is that NO ONE in any position of power and authority in that company wants anything to do with being observed and recorded even on a scratch pad to just record numerical data from observations. There may be a pervasive culture of pathological narcissism and abusive behavior through out the company considering over 100 complaints from nearly as many store locations. The may have recently had me added to a government watchlist, maybe. I suggest you tell everyone you can about winco and refer them to this website. Winco does not uphold or represent our most cherished American values. Winco may very well be a domestic enemy of The People of the United States of America. TELL YOUR FRIENDS, let's shut them down.

Oct 10, 2018

What you see here is NOTHING compared to what you aren't seeing and hearing. You can't stop word of mouth, just like in the days of GEORGE WASHINGTON.

Oct 10, 2018

Funny how you got the word 'agenda'.
    I never mentioned an agenda, but now that you gave me the idea, i might as well have an 'agenda', a BIIIIG SECRET ONE just to get you.

Bye now.

Oct 11, 2018

I'm blond, blue eyed 6 2 with a golden complexion. My post to that person is called SARCASM.
    Sarcasm is the body's natural/instinctive reaction to STUPIDITY.
    Do you understand now?

Oct 12, 2018

Sarcasm is a way for intelligent folks to tell ignorant people "I'm not paying you.", so it works just fine.
    I still make regular observations at Loseco. I just have friends tell me what they observe when they go there, still using my set of rules for gathering unbiased data.
    I don't read political commentary, i couldn't care less.
    When i want news about things that will directly affect all of us in reality, i go to the commodities, financial and stocks news, then CNN, THEN Fox for comparison monitoring and "leaks".
    Make yourself happy. Buy precious metals, especially silver because it's relatively cheap now.
    Read, Listen and Learn while you invest.
    Good luck