Wells Fargo Dealer Services / unwarranted repossession

PO Box 25341, Santa Ana, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-289-8004

After being laid off, I filed for bankruptcy, but opted to keep my vehicle as I was up on the payments. This morning I awakened to my husband telling me that either my Toyota truck had been stolen or repossessed. After being transferred to several different numbers to only find out that the people I needed to speak with would not be in the office until 8am (PST), I called my local police department since I am in the EST time zone. It was confirmed that it had indeed been repossessed. My problem is not that I could not make the payments, but that I do not receive monthly statements regarding my account. After calling during normal business hours, I was told once your account is under the bankruptcy umbrella, you no longer receive statements. Okay, strike one. If this is the case, then why during 2011 did I receive approximately 4 out of the year? Of course, the rep did not have an answer for this mishap. With them having all of my information from home address, mailing address, home phone and even email, no one attempted to contact me. Strike two. Now I have to wait until Monday in order to find out the total cost of my vehicle plus recovery costs because I cannot go back on a monthly payment plan. This amount I will need to have within 20 days. Strike three. Now that my bankruptcy has been discharged, they were very clear in letting me know that if I do not pay the costs, I will be held liable. This is completely unacceptable and should not be the case. This situation would not exist if it were not for their complete disregard for and lack of communication. I am not sure who I need to contact, but it will not end here.

Comments

6th of Apr, 2012

Wells Fargo (i call it Wells [censored]o) did the same thing to me! I am an emergency room RN of 30 years. I got injured, and short term disability became long term disability, and finally SSDI. Long story short, i got behind 2 months on my (on time, every time) payment, but keep in contact with Wells [censored]o about my situation. I told them i only needed 10 days to get caught up on payment, and would not be late again. They agreed with this. 3 days later, a tow truck shows up, and driver said Wells [censored]o sent him. I went and got the keys, bag, and a screwdriver. Threw my belongings in the bag, took my tags off, then opened the garage door, and handed the driver the keys. I told him to have a nice day, and go tell Wells [censored]o to go [censored] themselves sideways, Then waived buh, bye in my pretty red leg cast from the front porch. I have, and will never pay then a friggin dime on that vehicle. They screwed me, now they are gonna get screwed rite back! Cant wait till they go under! I would never do business with them, for any reason again! I would not even do CPR on them, just stand there and watch them die! Liars!

9th of Apr, 2012

Toyota Fan, kind of harsh...wow. Not sure who you are responding to, but what you are failing to realize is that people find themselves in unfortunate situations. Perfect example, I am sure you have the answer to all of the homeless post-war vets. What just kill them all? You conclude with a reference to God in a very devilish manner...if you are a true God-fearing person and a Christian, then you would have a more non-judgmental attitude..."Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven" (Luke 6:37)...just food for thought before you include "God" in your verbiage.

9th of Apr, 2012

PS...Toyota Fan, you might want to re-read what you respond to. I never said having to pay was unacceptable. I am more than willing to pay what I owe including recovery costs. Re-reading before responding helps prevent the statement..."an empty wagon makes the most noise."

9th of Apr, 2012

Wells Fargo tried to pull a scam on me too. First, they never sent my payment notice claiming they didnt have me in the system, even after calling them 3 times and giving them all info including address, phone number, social security number ect. Well 1 day after my payment was due, still with no known address to send the payment too, WF starts ringing my phone off the hook at work and my home. When I finally get the payment statement, I sent what I agreed to without their late fee. To them this constituted that I didnt pay on time and from there the pyramid scheme started, until my payment finally reached over $600.00 a month because of non payment of their late fee. I made the payments that I signed a contract to make until their non customer service decided to jack them so high and refused to remove that first late charge I finally said F__K IT! You're gonna eat this car and was more than happy to see the repo man and took him to the vehicle. This messed up my credit, and since I have bought 3 vehicles (Cash). They tried to take this to court using a local lawyer, but when I told the judge what they did, the lawyer stopped the trial, and spoke with me outside. (They never got their damn judgement, and WONT.) Also if you anything like this happen report it to the BBB and keep a record, I did : )... and it sure came in handy. Couldn't never get my credit rating back up but that's just a matter of time knowing not to deal with Wells Fargo anymore. I'm sure that bailout money from my taxes covered their butts on my vehicle.

11th of Feb, 2013

If you signed and reaffirmed a contract you should know you need to keep paying according to the contract, whether they mail or call to remind you or not.

28th of Feb, 2013

Magnum7, Wells Fargo doesn't increase the amount of your monthly payment because you're late, the late fees are a separate charge and don't have to be paid for your monthly payment to clear. You were paying less than your contracted monthly rate. Even though you insist this isn't true, that's the only way your amount due would increase each month. You should be glad they let it go without garnishing your wages.

By the way, sometimes it takes the dealership a long time to get the information on the customer to the financing company, which delays the first statement. When this happens you're supposed to have the dealership process your payments for you, since technically you're not the bank's customer yet.

28th of Dec, 2013

When you file for bankruptcy and then reaffirm your debt with any company you are no longer protected by the bankruptcy laws. Companies are not obligated by law to send monthly statements although most do as a courtesy. If you reaffirmed with them I have a feeling they attempted to contact you by phone and by mail. It is doubtful they repossessed your vehicle without notice to you of any kind. Oddly you yourself wrote above "Now that my bankruptcy has been discharged, they were very clear in letting me know that if I do not pay the costs, I will be held liable." Hmmmm sounds like a lawful repossession to me. You should've contacted them and made acceptable payment arrangements long before this happened.

A due date is just that. The date the debt is due. Otherwise it would be called an approximate date or a send it when you have it date. However, you do have a grace period in which you have time to get your payments in each month without receiving a late fee. But your due date is still the date it's due. One day past your due date - your payment is late.
    There are strict laws regarding repossession of vehicles and they vary from state to state. However, if you default on your loan then a company can generally repossess your vehicle as soon as 30 days past due.