Weight Watchers Online / online scam

I am a online user experience expert reviewing weightwatchers.com for an upcoming blog article. I signed up for the free 7 day trial to conduct the review.

I clicked the free trial button and was redirected to a sign up page. I didn't see anything about a free trial so I went back to the previous page and clicked the free trial button again. The website landed me back on the same sign up page.

So I assumed I was signing up for the free trial and continued through the flow. When I came to the credit card entry form I assumed my card would be charged at the end of the seven day trial or at the least the funds be refunded when I canceled.

After I completed a my usability review of the website I clicked on the cancel account link. I also sent a cancellation email to the customer service department.

An agent named 'kelle' with weight watchers online accounting department responded to let me know that my credit card was charged $65.00 and that I would only be receiving an $18.10 refund. So my two-hour 'free trial' actually cost $46.90.

The agent was not at all concerned when I told her that I clicked on the free trial link and canceled after only 2 hours. Instead of addressing a significant error in the user interface, she referred me to the 10 page legal agreement I was supposed to read during sign up.

After a bit more research I learned that weight watchers online has an unsatisfactory record with the bbb of new york and has had 43 complaints in the last 12 months! I also found many more users complaining about this very same issue in various forums.

Weight watchers online baited me with a free trial offer on their website. I signed up under this pretense. The fact that they immediately invoked the legal agreement without addressing an obvious problem on the website leads me to conclude that this is a deliberate bait and switch technique employed by what I believed was a trustworthy brand.

In my opinion this despicable practice constitutes blatant online fraud. I will do everything in my power to make sure that weight watchers online is investigated by the new york attorney general's office.

Al

Comments

• Br
      4th of Jul, 2009

I had a similar experience for their thirty day trial. Lousy as hell customer service.

• Ko
      1st of Jun, 2011

I am also having an issue. I signed up for a 3 month online plan and decided within the hour that it wasn't workable for me. It was confusing and I did not want to continue so I canceled immediately. They emailed me back saying of the $54 charged, I was only entitled to $5.95 refund, even not using it at all and canceling immediately. This is absolutely a scam and my opinion of Weight Watchers has changed from positive to completely negative. I am also contacting my Attorney General's office and the Better Business Bureau.

• Yi
      1st of Jun, 2011

I have just been scammed by WW online. I signed up and within the hour of trying to figure it out, realized it was going to be beyond my computer skills & tied to cancel. They were willing to give me $5.95 back of the $53.85 I'd originally paid. What a scam & and from a company I'd trusted from using it years ago. Boy, times have changed!