Wegmans / very poor customer service

I shop regularly at the Wegmans Dulles in Sterling, VA. In late November, I was hopping with my wife at this store. We went over to the meat area and I picked up a package of 6+LBS of ground beef for 1.99LB. In the past I have had the meat counter person break up the package in into 4 smaller packages that are freezer wrapped. Never had a problem in the past. I have done this 4 or 5 times before at two different Wegmans stores. This time the meat counter guy told me wait and went into the back room. After a few minutes he re-emerged and said it was store policy not break up packages. I asked to speak to the meat manager. They made me wait several minutes before he arrived along with an assistant store manager. I told them that this has been done many times in the past. They responded saying it should never have been down in the past. They said if wanted the package broken up I would be charged a higher price. They made some lame comment about Costco not breaking up meat packages. That's why I shop at grocery store, so I can get some customer service. Both managers were rude and very adament on their stance. I got overwhelmed with emotion at their lack of empathy that I responded with profanity. My wife immediately exited the store, leaving our cart their. I latter called the store to apologize for my profanity but stated that their policy stinks on ice. The next day I called Wegmans consumer affairs and told them what happened. I was patronized by the representative. I won't shop their any more. I went to another grocery store and they were happy to package meat for me the way I requested.

Be

Comments

• Fo
      21st of Dec, 2010

You miss the whole point of bulk packaging which promotes a lot of product in a big package at a better price! Presumably, less labor and wrap were expended to sell more product thereby justifying the lower price. Asking a meat clerk to discard the bulk package altogether and repackage its contents into four new little trays defeats the whole purpose of a bulk sale! To think that you had the audacity to expect this service AND no capacity to understand or accept why it was being refused is ludicrous. Complaints like this needlessly trash reasonable policies and don't deserve the internet space they occupy.

• Sh
      4th of Jan, 2011

During the week of new years eve, i visited your Sheridan Drive Store, as I was preparing for the New Year and had much shopping to do for my company FOR THE CELEBRATION. aLL WEEK THERE WAS HARDLY ANY PKGS OF CHOPPED MEAT, which I found odd. Upon inquiry, I was told they were out and a delivery was cmg Thursday. I visited store Thursday at 7a.m. and low and behold, thje case was filled with Ground Sirloin. I purchased three huge pkgs for our dinner to be used New Years eve the next night. Upon opening them on Friday the 31st at around 8.P.m to start my tacos, the pkg appeared a funny color, was dripping blood all over the place, and had a freezer smell to it. It actually looked and smelled spoiled. The next day I sent my husband tothe store to get a credit( Each pkg was a minimum of 17 dollars and 50 cents. My husband presented the situation to your manager Eric, who told him he would not take it back without a receipt!I never save my receipts, as i clearly have no intention of returning food I purchase, and if it is spoiled, I never ever am asked to produce one; just given the credit. Further insulting, when I telephoned Eric, he rsised his voice and said, the pkgs were labeled use by Dec 31st! I asked him why would they put something out thatwas so old without labeling it, or even discounting it if it is too old to sit on a shelf for at least a week, which i do think is customary at Wegmans. Eric began to argue with me and told me I should have looked! I tole hime I have been a Wgmans shopper for 20 years and never ever was I treated this way; I had enough faith in the meat dept.that they would not put out soon to spoil meat after 20 years of shopping in the butchery there. Eric insisted it was my fault, i should have looked and he basically hung up on me! I spend over 800 a week in that store, and even your assistant manager apologized as he knows me from shopping there almost every day. Whether I am there just once, or every day, however, it should not make any difference. I am not asking for preferential treatment, but if you look up my account, you would see what I mean about being a dedicated consumer. How dare this manager talk to my husband that way, talk to me that way and refuse to issue a credit? I was embarASSED ENOUGH nEW yEARS EVE NOT BEING ABLE TO SERVE DINNER PRIOR TO OUR DRINKS. The preparation time, ingredients for the tacos, the taco kits, soft, hard, whole wheat, gluten free beans, chips, salsa, cheeses, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, avacadoes, all bought in vain, money wasted and spent in your storeto serve this Mexican Dish to my family and friends( 15 out of town starving dinner guests, real nice, huh?) just angers me even more. I deserve my store credit, not just for the 50 dollars of meats, onions and all the above ingredients, well over two hundred dollars woth of items, not including the time and energy shopping, chopping, preping and buying mexican decorations to go with my dinner that never transpired. All I asked for was the credit for the chopped eat, but in retrospect I deserve alot more than the gift card for the chopped meat!!!eric needs to learn how to talk to customers and be professional as well. Everyone at this location who know what happened is equally disturbed about this. I think you should know how one overempowered individual could ruin your reputation, and chase potential and existing old timers like me away. Thank you. Sheila Bernard
    41 Turnberry Drive Williamsville New York 14221

• Ri
      8th of Feb, 2011

you got to stupid to leave your full name and address on here.