Walmart / pricing

1 Opelousas, LA, United States Review updated:

Walmart prices the same merchandise differently throughout their store. I picked up a jar of Jiff peanut butter off a display as I walked into the store. It was advertised for $2.50. At the checkout counter, it rang up for $2.98...the price it was marked at in the grocery section. I brought it to the cashier's attention, and he rudely said it was $2.98...did I want it or not! I said, yes, but for the $2.50 price. He fought me on it, but I stood my ground until a manager said to give it to me at that price. This isn't the first time I've seen Walmart do this. It's very unethical, not to mention false advertising.

Comments

• Tr

Get a life...

18th of Nov, 2010

Why do all you people side with the corporation? This woman has a legitimate claim. She was almost scammed out of 50 cents for one item. That is 17% of the purchase price. If Walmart does this to a customer every time they visit that 50 cents can become 50 dollars. Imagine 50 dollars a year per customer, and there are 10, 000 customers per store ( a very CONSERVATIVE number), that is $500, 000 dollars each year that this Walmart is making at the cost of the consumer, at the cost of your community. Walmart has 8500 stores worldwide, under various names. However, for the sake of argument I will use the 750 stores branded simply as Walmart. 750 * 500, 000 is $375 MILLION dollars for just that silly little 50 cents. Sure it seems like a small amount at first, but its your money. What is the difference between this and someone taking money out of your pocket? I am really interested in if this is a regular occurrence or just a minor slip up here and there. If this has happened to you please contact me at [protected]@gmail.com.

• Po
      18th of Nov, 2010

As people said above, with thousands of items in a store it is guaranteed that mis-pricing happens. It also happens that sometimes people see prices as they want to see them.

18th of Nov, 2010

Immodest, I never made mention of a conspiracy theory. And you are 100% completely right, she had no obligation to buy the product. However, when a customer is buying multiple items and when there is a small nuance such as 50 cents it is easy for it to get lost in the grand total. I was not there and I may not know the complete details of the story, however there have been cases where large companies do this on purpose all of the time. This case may simply be one of error due to the large quantity of items, but if it is not then shouldn't something be done to prevent this from happening? P.S. I prefer Law and Order.

18th of Nov, 2010

There is this little thing called section 5 of the FTC Act. Companies are responsible for honoring the advertised price, not the consumer. I refuse to argue with you over the internet. My posts are for those who are truly interested in taking legal action, not someone trolling the internet.

18th of Nov, 2010

Hardly. Immodest, I would not flatter yourself. Middle aged and over-weight is not my thing.

• Wa
      27th of Dec, 2010

If a company as large as walmart can't do business right, then they should not be doing business at all. If they can't keep up with their own prices, then they need to shut their doors. And for all you walmart employees who have nothing to do but defend your precious company that could care less about you, get back to work cause your break is over.

• Po
      11th of Jan, 2011

Good point stealth. I always find it ironic that shoppers expect lower prices when signs are confusing, but when the item rings up for cheaper, they stay silent.

• Ha
      6th of Apr, 2011

WOW! That 50 cents could be foundon the ground at the parking lot at walmart. i dont thing that there isnt a bit deal over keeping the 50 cents.and btw, it could have been part of the taxes.

• Mr
      22nd of Apr, 2011

Hallie Jay...some people are on a very tight budget these days and 50 cents here and there adds up very fast. When we use money from our checking account we round off in the checkbook register, not counting the change involved. (Write a check for 10.25, put 11.00 in the register. Deposit 400.12, put 400.00 in the register.) About every 3 months I add the hidden change back in. We save about 25 dollars a month, 300 dollars a year, that way. So, change does matter. Also, in Minnesota and I'm sure other states as well, there is no tax on grocery food and clothing.

• Xx
      28th of Jan, 2013

THIS PRICE OF CIGARETTES AT WALMART ARE RIDICULOUS!! Connecticut has some of the highest taxes there are on cigarettes (and gasoline/diesel), so why does Walmart feel it necessary to charge FULL-BLOWN RETAIL ON CIGARETTES?? Supposedly Walmart has these fantastic deals with all manufacturers of like EVERYTHING, so why not cigarettes? Is Walmart the problem or the tobacco companies? I can get cigs for less at 7-11 for god's sake! I would expect Walmart to have the absolute lowest price on everything - not pick-and-choose like this. I have a sneaking suspicion this is some kind of MORAL choice on Walmart's behalf and I DON'T APPRECIATE IT! We already have the government taxing the hell out of cigarettes because they are "protecting us" from getting sick. We don't need retailers jumping on the bandwagon!

Thanks for reading...