Walmart #5174 / battery purchased

semmes, AL, United States Review updated:
On 9-19-08 my family and I were at walmart #5174 shopping, me and my son went to the automotive section to find a battery for his atv, I looked up the stock number of the battery we needed and told my son to get it off the shelf because I am handicapped and could not reach it from a motorized cart, my son, whom is 11years old, reached and got a battery from the section marked with the stock number we needed and carried it to the check out counter, he also placed our old battery on the counter for our core return fee, i paid the lady and afer our shooping was done we left. I didnt have achance to install the battery in the atv until 9-20-08. I unpackaged the battery, still beleaviing it was the right battery, installed the acid in the battery and attempted to place the battery in the battery compartment and noticed the battery would not fit because it was to big. I returned to the same store to try to swap it for the right one, the associate on duty said that they could not take it back because I had installed the acid, I esxplained what happened and she still said she could not except it. I ask to speak to a manager and she called one, when he arrived I explained what happened and he basicallytold me the same thing, that they could not take it back with the acid in it. so I said to him, I am stuck with a battery I cant use and he said yes. So here I am with no old battery and out $41.68 and a battery I can' use. I think this is pitiful, I am disabled, on SSI, and dont have alot of money to spend on things I dont need. Like I said it was a honest mistake and now I have a battery that I cant use and my old battery I could use for core refund is gone. I hope you can help me. Thank you,

Comments

Pa
  15th of Jul, 2009
i think perhaps you should have looked at the part number on the box before you put the acid in, also walmart and most automotive stores can not sell a batter once the acid is installed unless it is a battery for a car or light truck. even then the battery is only replaceable if it is defective.. perhaps next time tell them the battery was defective and ask for a replacement of the right battery even if you had to pay the difference. the battery carries a 6 month pro rated wareranty for being defective.
Ro
  7th of May, 2010
I agree with partsmanmd, all you have to do is be creative. first go to a different Walmart and tell them that the battery is defective and will not hold a charge and you wish to swap it for a new one. If they let you change part numbers fine, if not, then take the same part number and take it home, DO NOT put the acid in the battery. Take this new one to another Walmart store in a few days and tell them you would like to return it because you accidentley picked up the wrong part number, they will now take it back because you have not put the acid into it. This will be inconvenient, but at least you will not be out the $41+

Walmart Stores Logo Walmart Stores