Wachovia Bank / fraud and cheating!

1 Roanoke, VA, United States Review updated:

When Wachovia Bank bought out World Savings, they acquired my two CD's which were worth $10,000 each plus interest. One matured on Jan. 12, the next on Jan. 19, 08. As of Jan. 20, I still had no check on the first one and I had called to close it out on Jan. 12. When I called, I also was closing out the one on Jan. 19th and I asked where my first check was.

After much time on hold, I was told it was not sent because I had a PO Box address! I could not believe it as I have that for safety. I was told my home address would now be registered and it would be sent. It would take 7 to 10 days to arrive! I asked about priority mail and told it was $15. I asked them to enter a complaint for my lost interest on this money as I have other accounts which I am waiting to put it into. I was told they would send it priority and waive the fee.

I called again on the 21st to check it. Was told it went out first class mail instead of third class! In the meantime, this bank has had my money, interest free! I am loosing 6% with the Credit Union I belong to every day and have already purchased another CD with another bank so there is a lesser amount in my checking account now receiving the 6%. I think the Bank owes people to contact them immediately if they have a problem sending the money. I have had no trouble with on line banks, I would never do business with Wachovia again. I had a checking account with them in Florida for years. Good bye Wachovia.

Va

Comments

• Ro
      2nd of Feb, 2007
    Wachovia Bank - CD redemption attempt - nobody cares at this bank!

Parents, now deceased, had CD with Wachovia unknown to estate executor/trustee of trust. POA, will, etc. already on file with bank; when account closure requested to estate, bank correctly requested amendment to trust showing successor trustee. Successor trustee was named in notarized copy of amended trust.; faxed immediately to bank with specific request to expedite. Four days after fax, Wachovia then sent letter via snail mail to deceased father (bank had both death certificates) asking that he (who was dead) get his signature notarized naming successor trustee (already named, signed and notarized in amendment to trust supplied to bank). Letter was received 8 days after fax requesting "expedite." Bottom line: nobody cares at this bank. As one of two sons and the 1st successor trustee, I was told that "...Wachovia doesn't have to do business with you, as you are not our customer...". I've initiated a formal complaint with the North Carolina state banking commission. After numerous promised dates have gone by, the bank today told me that the check was sent via overnight mail yesterday; as of 8 pm tonight, the package had not yet been picked up by UPS.

6th of Jul, 2007

I have been a client of Wachovia Bank for 6 months and I must say that it is the worst bank I have ever been with. Since I have been with them I have had around 890.00 taken from my account in fees. You see, if they were to look at my limited history they would see that there is nothing special about it. then all of a sudden about a month ago all kinds of money is being taken out by companies as payment for cash loans I never received. Wachovia refuses to reimburse these charges. I am currently trying to contact the fraud dept and no one is answering the phone. I had to leave a message and wait for a call back. I feel I shouldn't have to wait for someone to call me back. They should be there to answer the phones during regular business hours. I must admit that I am very angry and I know that this complaint surely states that but customer service is not one of there strong suits. I want my money back and I feel that Wachovia owes it to me. I did not give permission for any company to take money!!!

• To
      13th of Jul, 2007
    Wachovia Bank - Stupid hiring managers of Wachovia

Wachovia Bank talks about their excellent customer service But when I applied with them for a Branch Managers position. After 4 interviews I was told I was too outgoing and enthusiastic!!! Have you ever heard of such of thing!! Heaven forbid to have an outgoing, friendly branch manager who wants to help the customers!! I have 30 years of successful management experience, 26yrs with one company and they tell me I am too outgoing and enthusiastic! Give me a break. Probably the real reason is that I am 55 years old but of course they would never say that!!!

Wachovia you just go ahead and keep tooting your horn about your excellent customer service. The branch manager I spent half a day with told me he was an introvert and he had to put on an act when he was at work and he couldn't believe how easily I talked to the customers! But I am too outgoing and friendly to work for Wachovia! Lets just call a spade a spade and say I was too old to fit their mold! Just my two cents!

• Wi
      29th of Oct, 2007
    Wachovia Bank - double billing

Please beaware of Wachovia's illegal overdraft/unavailable funds fee. Yes they charge you twice if your account bounces even if the funds are in the account at the time of purchase. If you make a Visa purchase and you accidentally go over your limit you will be charged a unavailable fee then an overdraft fee. I was charged $140 for accidentally making 3 small purchases under $15. Don't go by their balance of you account because it's wrong 90% of the time.

2nd of Nov, 2007

I have had the same thing happen to me on two occasions. I finally smartened up and am no longer banking with them. Too bad I am out over $300.

• Jl
      30th of Jan, 2008

You really don't know what you are talking about; and if you did have that experience, then shame on that manager from Wachovia. Oh, and by the way, Wachovia DOES NOT practice age discrimination... I am living proof... Oh, and another thing... I am very outgoing and enthusiastic, and funloving too!

• Au
      21st of Feb, 2008

I have just been scammed! by wachovia. I can not get these people to listen to me. I checked my available amount on my online account, it showed my check was posted. So I spent from the amount that said was available. Then two days later I ended up with 5 over draft charges pending. plus they had taken 2 additional charges the previous day. And The money was in the bank, but apparently they said it had not been cleared. Hoe the heck can they say the money is there ..an yet not say it is cleared. I Am taking my banking elsewhere. These people should be arrested for theft by dishonesty!

• Ly
      28th of Feb, 2008

If customers would write there transactions down they would never over draw there accounts. People need to read the disclosures that they recieve when opening the account. It states what the fees are when ever you go negative or use a non wachovia atm or the fee for calling in to talk to rep. It also states how wachovia processes there transactions from highest to lowest. Its has everything you need to know about wachovia bank and how to avoid getting fees.

22nd of May, 2008

When Wachovia "merged" with World Savings Bank we were told it was a friendly merger and not to worry because we could expect little change, just the same great service. What a crock! First thing Wachovia did was convert my liquid CD to a fixed CD so I couldn't access my account without paying a huge penalty... and then never informed me of the change. I'm retired and have been on a very tight budget waiting for the CD to mature. In a few days it will mature and I will be leaving this scam infested bank. Oh... and what have you done with all those nice employees you inherited from World Savings Bank? I guess they were a nuisance to be eliminated.
    Wachovia [email protected]

29th of Jul, 2008

Wachovia should change their name to "Walk all over ya"

• Dw
      31st of Jul, 2008

Never ever use Wachovia for anything. We financed a car in 2017 and the dealer used Wachovia. When we went to sell it we gave them a check by phone and with the new check21 law they quickly got their money. We also provided our credit card number so they could overnight the title as we had an anxious buyer for the vehicle. Little did I know that it has now been over a week and they still have not sent the title. Well they did send it from one office out west to North Carolina--by regular mail. And we are now told also sent by regular mail to us from North Carolina. Somehow I can send letters to my daughter in Germany and my son in Japan in just two or three days, but it has taken a week to get from california to north carolina. These people do NOT care and it shows in everything they do, from their attitude over the phone to the horrible service they provide.

• Ed
      14th of Sep, 2008
    Wachovia Bank - Poor customer service
    1130 Homestead Road
    Lehigh Acres
    Florida
    wachovia.com

I do all my banking on line. I have two checking accounts with this bank. On 8/8/08, I was paying bills with my computer using the checking account I use to pay bills. One checking account is for bills only and one for business. They took $60.00 out of my business account and charged me $22.00 because I didn't have enough funds. I called customer service the same night That was a big joke and a waste of time. I also e-mailed the CEO of Wachovia and that was a bigger waste of time.
    I'll tell you the same thing I told the CEO; "they should call it CUSTOMER GET SHAFTED AND NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE".

3rd of Oct, 2008

The reason why they turned you away is because If you are too over qualified, then you'll get bored and leave them sooner, why would they want to put time, effort and money on someone over qualified? (I'm only stating this becs of your "30 year experience") you can find a higher paying job, a branch manager? please.. they get paid peanuts. $56, 000. a year...blah blah

• Tr
      14th of Oct, 2008

HORRIBLE service. someone took 500 out of my account and put it into an ING direct account. I got left with a bunch of overwithdrawal fees. The lady at the bank not only took 2 weeks to get my money back and take off the withdrawal fees, she was a complete ### for lack of a better word. It was as if I was taking money out of her pocket.

• Di
      15th of Oct, 2008

What amazes me about this WACK AZZ company is that no matter how relentless I am about making payment arrangements in WRITING with a payment in the form of a money order, they still continue to call, and call, and call! There's gotta be a loop hole here. As long as a payment is made of a reasonable amount, they have to accept it no matter what, while it keeps them at bay from repo a car. This company sucks!

• Mi
      14th of Nov, 2008
    Wachovia Bank - Everything about them
    1 Wachovia Center
    Charlotte
    North Carolina
    Phone: 704-374-6565
    Wachovia.com

How is it that an organization as stupid as Wachovia stayed in business this long. I bounced a check In October, It happens. It happens especially when the speed up the handling of certain deposits. I travel on business and moved money between bank via ATM deposits. For Weeks I would deposit in Newburgh NY and the check would clear 4 days later. Then they sped up the process and had the check clear in 2 days. They assured me that they would not redeposit the check, they would send it to me and I would make it good. I recieved a "substitute check on a Tuesday and they electronically deposited my check again on Wednesday causing it to bounce again. Did i mention that I am up to almost $200 in fees at this point?
    The bank doesnt know why the check went through again, I am 100 miles from the closest branch and they have cncelled my ATM card and I am being investigated for Fraud. I got all the Fees refunded for the second attempt at putting the check through again after threatining legal action. They assured me I would get the use of my ATM card back when I returned the account to a positive. I brought it back to +.01. Let 3 weeks go by and tried to deposit cash into the account and found out the card has been cancelled, and the account is scheduled to be closed. On 11/14 I spent 35 minutes talking to just about everyone at Wachovia to try to resolve this. They offered me keeping the account open, but I would not have access to it Via an ATM card. Very handy for the individual who travels.

When I started to ask about corporate information ie: the name of the current ceo I recieved 2 names.
    1. Ken Thompson who was ousted back in June
    2. Lancy Smith who appears nowhere in any listings on line.

I did search and find that as of a memo in October to the share holders
    The CEO is Robert K Steele
    and if he replaced Ken Thomson his address would be
    1 Wachovia Center
    Charlotte NC 28288 704-374-6565

It is my goal to do as much PR damage to wachovia that 1 individual can.

They say the have been voted #1 in customer service, they never asked anyone I know who banks with them.

So all of you who share my views of Wachovia and their scheeming ways and lies to make money contact me at
    [protected]@yahoo.com

Maybe we can do enough harm to gove Citi bank or Wells Fargo a good deal. God knows wachovia has been giving it to their customers long enough.

• Va
      26th of Nov, 2008

I'm a 76 year old widow, living on a monthly disability check. I have been receiving overdraft notices from Wachovia Bank, at times on a daily basis. First came a fee of $55.00 and then it changed to $90.00. That seemed a bit high. According to my records I didn't owe them any overdraft fees. In fact my records showed that I had a small balance.

Then came the shocker: a letter stating, 'According to our records, your account is overdrawn in the amount of $354.91 as of September 17, 2017.' That is not only ridiculous, it's impossible.

The stress this is causing me keeps building and I plan to switch to another bank as soon as possible.

1st of Dec, 2008
    Wachovia Bank - Inability to maintain owned property.
    49-24th St.
    Wellsburg
    West Virginia
    Phone: 1-304-737-3310

Wachovia owns property next to my church. The grass and weeds are at a minimum 5 to 6 ft. high. This property is only 4 or 5 ft. away from the church building. This unattended property is drawing rats and other vermin to this property. We have children and elderly people attending our services and it would be sinful if someone were to be injured by creatures there.
    I do not know how much you are asking for this property; however, if it were within reason perhaps we could buy the property from your organization. The house is run down and our church would tear it down and then it woould be maintained effectively.
    Please assist with this problem.
    Sincerely,
    J. A. Springborn

• Ca
      10th of Dec, 2008
    Wachovia Bank - Absolutely horrible
    wachovia.com

Wachovia bank which is by bank currently until the rest of my checks are cleared will no longer be my bank of choice. I received $140.00 worth of overdraft fees. I made three purchases with my debit card from Monday-Wednesday. All these purchases were under $40.00. The purchase totaled about $30.00, which would of left me with a $10.00 balance. I was getting a direct deposit on Friday, which was good so I wasn't worried. I wrote a check and send it out and unfortunately it cleared on Friday. I take responsibility for that. I did not think it would of cleared since I sent it out on Thursday. Wachovia had the three prior purchases pending, but they did not clear them from my total balance, for a reason I don't understand. However when the check for $173.00 cleared so did the other three purchases. Wachovia cleared the 173.00 first and then the other three. The say that is their policy which is very Ridiculous! You clear the highest amount first to benefit your company, but what about your customers and what is that saying about Customer Satisfaction. This company is saying they really don't care about you as long as they get your money and then some. So that left me with 4 overdraft charges which are $35.00 each. I called the 1-800-WACHOVIA number and talked to them telling them that the three prior purchases were made earlier in the week and why did they only process them after the check cleared. No answers that made any sense or showed me that they cared even the slightest was given to me. Be warned this bank is unbelievable and they are absolutely horrible.

• Ph
      21st of Jan, 2009

Tuesday December 30, 2017 I made a cash deposit in person at my branch. Wednesday December 31, 2017 my check card was declined when I swiped it to make a purchase. Wachovia regularly mishandles deposits and is quick to dodge responsibility.

The first time this happened was April 2017 and I blamed the branch. I've had the same thing happen three times since. I've spent countless hours on the phone with Wachovia and countless hours paper trailing things Wachovia could not figure out for themselves. I should be punching a time clock and getting paid for this!

Please see attachments relating to the most recent incident.