Vonage / Scam company

I ordered vonage in April 2007. The guy told me that i would have 2 months free and billing would start on June 28, 2007. He also told me that I had a 30 day money back guarantee from the time i install my phone. The equipment was supposedly sent by DHL. I never received it. I called them and they said they would send it again bc DHL left it at the door? I never got the 2nd shipment bc they never sent it. However on May 29, they billed me 39.99 for invoice fee and then May 30 29.00 for invoice fee. I called them to cancel because it just was not working. They said i could have all my money refunded after i file a lost shipment claim with DHL, and when i called DHL they said their policy is that the shipper must file the claim and vonage knows that very well. when i looked at my bank statement later that day on line, I saw that Vonage charged me another 39.99 disconnect fee. (DISCONNECT WHAT?) I called them back and was disconnected 3 times, after waiting 10-20 minutes each time waiting to talk to a credt supervisor. When i finally got someone they said they would refund me the disconnect fee. They did that but then I called them again to fight for my money back guarantee. They refused me saying i was 1 day over the 30 days. I had an argument with the guy jonathon something or other and after HE HUNG UP ON ME, he went back and recharged me the disconnect fee. They sent my bank account to overdraft and when i called them again I spent over 3 hours on the phone with them. 1.5 hours with one guy who just repeated that he was very sorry. Then I was sent to a guy named george higgins and he told me I would not be refunded any money. I told him that their terms say 30 days from the activation of service and that the original salesperson told me no charges till june 28. and that the other girl said i would be refunded all my money if i called DHL. He said no way. I was not getting a refund. He said their terms are written on the site and the salesperson was wrong and will be coached. He also said that VONAGE's policy doesn't issue credit FOR NON SERVICE!!! I asked him WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? that means that you charge for no service and steal the money?!!! He did not care that they overdrew my bank account and that my rent was due. Vonage is a disgusting company and i suggest that anyone thinking about it get a can and a string, because that is worth more than being ripped off so blatantly. I wish everyone who reads this stays away.

Comments

• Bi
      7th of Oct, 2007

Vonage is a big rip off. I signed up in January 2007 for the 30 free days for the service and it never worked right. I called and cancelled after 21 days and was talked into trying it for free for another 30 days. The service still did not work right so I called back and cancelled 21 days later and was told they had no record of the second 30 days and I owed them 100 dollars. I told them I refuse to pay and now they call 20 times a day trying to get the money and I still refuse. Stay away from this company they are a big rip off and will try and steal your money.

• Cr
      19th of Jan, 2008

Suck service is BREACH of contract. SUE for a full refund in small claims court

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

• Ra
      23rd of Aug, 2008

on 1-26-08 i ordered a vonage service and got the modem on 1-30-08 I was told by customer service that i had two months free trial service and my first payment would not be due umtil march 26th or 29th since the modem did not arrive until the 29th of jan- 08 i was told i could cancel before the two months and there would be no charge but i would have to send the modem back.after hav ing trouble with vonage, i called them and told them to cancel my service. they was persistant in telling me i would have to pay a disconection fee of $75.00 i said why you told me i had two months free and nothing about a disconect fee.i kept insisting they cancel.they kept trelling me they would give me two months free. i kept telling them no.they put a superviser on and he was almost threating me .he said i would be charged with cut fees, plus the two free months they said was free. i felt violated, taken advantage of.each time i called, i talked to a foreigner who i had trouble understanding.they were rude also i kept telling them to cancel my service and i was going to send the modem back, the supervisor said they would not take back the modem that i now owned it. i said hows that when iam with in the 60 day trial period.he said well you will have a disconect fee and plus pay for thwe modem.i said well iam going to contact consumer report or the better business beurea with a complaint.he said ill give you two more free months free. i said i don't need it i have already boxed it up .he said well try it for two more months. they were rude and would not take no for an answer. you could tell they were trained to high pressure sale this service. i ask them at least 4 times to cancel but was given a rude excuse why this or that.or they was going to charge me all these fees to cancel. this was a night mare. i now got a letter today 8-23-08 from a collection agency saying i owe them $166.00 you talking about unethical practice, this vonage comany has unfair trade practice. if you need to varify this call me at 336-787-3866 or email at rmichael001@triad.rr.com
    sincerely randy michael

28th of Nov, 2009

I agree with all the complaints listed above, because I have recently gone through a similar experience... VONAGE NEEDS TO BE SHUT DOWN! It is unethical and unprofessional to charge for services that are not operable and not honoring customer service verbal agreements.

I tried to cancel with Vonage recently (November 2009), after they gave me a 60 day trial (Yes, instead of 30 days) since I was considering the annual plan and did not want a monthly plan under contract nor did I want a automatic debit from my credit card each month, which was explained to the customer service rep when signing up. When I went to cancel due to poor phone quality I was told I could not cancel under the two year contract or if I did I would be charged over $135.00 to cancel. The rep refused to let me speak to a supervisor and continued to inform me that I agreed to a two year contract and tried to offer me a lower payment plan and asked how did I like the service after I told her it was poor. Well, later that evening I received an email informing of the cancellation and charges that would apply to my credit card and how sorry they were to lose me.

I am immediately shipping the equipment back so they can't say I kept it for part of the "outlandish" charges they have applied to my credit card.