Virginmobileusa.com / deceptive business practices!

The whole Virgin Mobile Top-Up phones sounded like a great idea for a daily usage with a plan for $ 44.99 giving 400 anytime minutes and unlimited nights and weekends. That was until on the 19th of January, I added a $ 50.00 top-up card earlier than my due date (January 25, 2007) and till this day still cannot use my cell phone. I repeatedly called and talked to several Customer Service Reps which could not do anything because initially the person whom activated my information into the system at time of turning the phone on, put the wrong Vkey (a password in order to pull up your file with the C.S.R.). Then from there talking to TWO managers whom couldn't do anything for me except tell me to ADD an additional $50.00 Top-up card to turn on my phone and continue the plan! So now I am out of the cost of the phone, the cost of activation, and out of an additional $ 50.00 for a top-up card and what do i gain from it all? A PHONE THAT DOES NOT WORK AND BEING OUT OF $155.00! Nice way to treat your customers!

A very upset consumer!

A  21st of Feb, 2007 by
I totally agree with you, i have been back and forth with supervisors/managers/customer service, they will not replace my phone. The phone that was sent to me has a dead battery i toped up $30.00 dollars in nov/06 and it is now feb/07 and i have been on the line from work with these people again for about 2-1/2 hours today and was told that i couldn't get my money back nor get a new phone and the phones that are sent to me are refurbished phone a used phone plus i was charged 14.99 for a replacement phone and told that i can not get that money back either so i asked them all how can you keep my money for a service that you are suppose to give me but i can not use the phone and that i reported this to you all back in nov and i was told that I'm account was closed because i didn't top up so i ask why would i top up when i toped up in nov $30.00 that i still have yet to use they told me that i just lost my money i plan to speak with some of the attorneys here at my job i work for a court system and i even asked for a corp office they said they couldn't give me that kind of information to me i then asked for a regional manager name or number they couldn't give me that either something needs to be done about this life is to hard as it is to have people just take your money and like you have money to just throw away and this is not the case i want all of my money back in full how can you get paid for nothing it don't work like that if you pay for something you should receive your monies wort .

May god help us all .
A  18th of May, 2007 by
I agree with your comments I been having problems with getting my money back from them, they added my card to there acct and that was only a one time fee to see if that worked for me. I lost the phone called them to report it and now (of course) they have no record of that and they refused to refund my money to my acct. I think they should be put out of business. They now lost two accts because of this. I also HAVE ANOTHER WITH THEM THAT NOW WILL BE CLOSED ALSO. If you can help, please do. I want my money back from these people I work to hard for my money to give it away.

A  4th of Jun, 2007 by
I've had too many problems with Virgin Mobile--starting with the Stash Card. At first I thought it was a good idea to have and did sign up for and use it. I thought it was great that every time I made a purchase that I could get points that I could redeem for additional minutes for my phone. Thinking that this would be an on-going thing I get a letter in the mail stating that Virgin Mobile will be ending the Stash Card--problem--I still have points on there that I would like to redeem for minutes. So when I called to inquire, no one could tell me why the program was ending or had no solution to how to redeem the points I have left on the card. So finally after going through "an act of congress" I was told by a manager that the Stash Card was just a market test product and that they could not do anything to help me redeem the points I left on the card for additional minutes.

Waste of time is all I can say. Anyone else having this problem?
D  25th of Jun, 2007 by
I disagree with what has been said. I have had a Virgin Mobile phone for almost a year and I have not had one single problem when it comes to money. By the way, once you have put your top up card # in u can't just get the money back. Also with the Stash idea, its your fault that you didn't claim your points before the thing ended.
D  27th of Jun, 2007 by
I disagree, Virgin Mobile has done a great job in offering wonderful plans. They also have helped out those like myself who just don't qualify for contract phones. I have been with them for almost 3 years and love it. To those that have had problems read first before you enter into anything, maybe it just wasn't for you.
D  25th of Jul, 2007 by
I used to have a Virgin Mobile phone, Until my parents signed me up on their contract. I had my phone for two years, I never once had problems with money/transactions, whenever things went wrong, they refunded my account. And also, it says on the back of the Top-Up card that ONCE YOU ADD THE MONEY TO YOU ACCOUNT, IT CANNOT BE REFUNDED. I must admit though, when I first got my phone, costumer service was MUCH easier than it was when I got rid of it. It became hard and frustrating to get a hold of one.

Also, if you're going for a PLAN with Virgin Mobile, that was a stupid move, with Cellular One, you can get UNLIMITED calls to anyone, anytime in your state, free long distance, mobile to mobile, nights and weekends, the whole works. Research your options before acting upon them.
A  28th of Jul, 2007 by
I suggest that you do what I am going to do. I am going to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint on this company. I am also going to find a lawyer I can afford and file suit. I know that a lot of you have a bigger loss than I but these people are getting rich off of consumers like us.
A  1st of Aug, 2007 by
I have been with this company for roughly two years now, and for almost the whole time, I've had problems with my phone. But I've invested a lot of money into my phone, and don't want to have that be a waste. My caller ID and voicemail do not work, and have not worked since the second month I had the phone, and they company is not trying very hard to fix this for me.

They will not refund my money, they do not sound please with the idea of giving me a new number/account. They didn't even sound pleased with replacing my old broken phone.

I'm VERY dissatisfied with this company, and plan to switch services providers as soon as I can. I urge everyone else to do the same, in hopes that Virgin Mobile will see how horrible their service really is.
D  7th of Aug, 2007 by
I bought my sister a Virgin Mobile Party Animal cell phone exactly 4 yrs ago. Her daughter lost that one and she closed the account with no problem. She bought another one 3 and half yrs ago, still has it and has had no problems. I bought an Oyster cell the first of May 07 for myself, so far so good. My niece liked it better than her Party Animal, so I ordered an Oyster online (free) for her. So far, no problems with any of the VM cell phones. Good luck to all.
D  14th of Aug, 2007 by
I have had a Virgin Mobile phone now for almost a year and have not had any concerns whatsoever. When I called Customer Service to activate my phone they were very cordial and helpful. The coverage and quality of the signal has been phenomenal, even cross-country!

If you want to see a prepaid cell phone company with customer service problems, look into Tracfone!
D  25th of Aug, 2007 by
I've had my phone for about 4 years now and it's been great. I actually have no top-up card stories because I've never used them. I use my credit card over the phone and that way I can get exactly what I want. They add a dollar for sales tax now (they didn't always) and I know I could go to Wal-Mart or something a get cards a bit cheaper, but I like knowing that they do all the work when I use my credit card and I can see my money added while I'm still on the phone.
I've had the same phone for 4 years too. It was a hundred dollar phone when it came out and it's been worth the initial investment. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of new phones, but it's reliable, and the only thing I've had to buy was a replacement battery because my original one broke (my fault) two years ago.
I will say I don't talk on the phone daily a lot, it's usually for texts or calls when I'm away from home or work. I can understand why it could get troublesome or expensive for those who can't get a contract cell phone. I do think the new "Sugar Mama" deal is pretty cool, it gives free mintues for watching commercials and doing short surveys. I will say to carefully check for the best prepaid cell service because they do vary greatly. I buy tracfones for people I know going through financial troubles because they're dirt cheap and good emergency phones. I've heard a lot of horror stories about Tracfone, but the trick with them seems to be buying the right phone. The phones I buy for people have no roaming, but other models still charge for it.
I'm sure those of you who have problems getting your service cut off have experienced what almost all companies do, try to make it as hard as possible to end their money-making relationship. Whenever I decide I don't want the phone I just put it in a drawer and let the top-up date pass, until the next time I need one. I just download a bunch of ringtones or talk on it a lot to get my money out of it.
I know this hasn't been helpful but I really have appreciated having a phone without any of the headache or cost of a contract phone I would rarely use anyway.
A  23rd of Sep, 2007 by
I sat through 15 min while activating my virgin mobile phone(each one-I have 4 total). Each time the person helping me went over the terms and conditions along with overage fees and when my month ended. I still am on the 34.99 plan. Any time I have a question they handle it in detail. I would have the same complaints as each one of you if I did not BOTHER to listen to the rep telling me the conditions of a plan. Quit blaming them for YOUR STUPIDITY. Its your own fault!
N  28th of Sep, 2007 by
i have a oyster and out of the blue my screen went black so what am i supposed to do ?
N  29th of Sep, 2007 by
Virgin mobile has the worst customer service I have ever seen.You wait for an hour the automated voice can't get your info stright.I have to yell in the phone to get it out and they still say."I didn't get that say it again and again.....
N  25th of Oct, 2007 by
VirginMobile do not treat the customers with respect, you get a quote for one price with somebody and the next minute you are ask were did you get that from, it too them four days to transfer my service from one phone to another, and when I decided to do it myself they keep telling me on the net that my nunber on the new phone is not correct forcing me to call the 1.888.322.1122 number n and even though I was promised that I had done everything right all that was left was get connected to their network I was sent a text message in 22 seconds that my account is being charged $10.
N  11th of Nov, 2007 by
I had a phone that didn't work right and had to buy another one. They changed my plan on me and didn't explain the little details to me from the beginning. They were supposed to credit my account for 13 games, 5 ring tones, 3 wallpapers, and 1 screen revolver. I was credited 10 dollars! What a joke!!! I am looking for a new provider. Any suggestions welcome.
N  12th of Nov, 2007 by

VirginMobileUSA.com - limited animal graphics

Dear Sir or Madam, for 4days in a row now, I have been trying to get "cute puppy on Pumpkin" and have been getting ERROR--network gremlins-try again later for 4 DAYS. It's a really cute wallpaper for Thanksgiving and I want to be able to access it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also, I've tried: whales, wolves, turkeys,(you should have seasonal wallpapers available--ie: Santa Claus, Turkeys, fireworksetc.) would it kill you to expand your graphics to nice things instead of SEXY THONG!! that is vulgar and unnecessary from a woman's point of view. Anyway, if you can clear the network gremlins and let me have "cute puppy on pumpkin" for FREE since I have been trying for 4 days now, that would be great.
A  25th of Dec, 2007 by
It is Christmas day and my two sons have no cell phones that were purchased name brand virgin mobile. First I was on the phone with a representive for almost an hour while my kids sit awaiting paitently then she says that it will take two days to activate because of the companies system was done. I want my kids compensated for this terrible sad thing on Christmas day. The phones were the main thing on there list and you all took that away from my two boys. I spoke with a supervisor and he told me the same thing and I asked to be compensated and he mentioned something about a good will pass what ever that is! Why would you schedule a maintanence check on Christmas day knowing that it will be a very busy day with people such as myself trying to get phones activated for gifts for my kids. Come on who does that! I am disappointed in virgin mobile all the commercials appear to be great that is why I decided to go with virgin mobile. I sure on this day there are alot more people like me this morning trying to get there phones on for there kids too. I wonder how that makes you all feel or do you all have any feelings at all. Here is my home phone number if anyone decides that they may want to apoligize 724-938-0722. Oh by the way Merry Christmas!

Mrs. Miller
A  9th of Jan, 2008 by
I am having a problem getting my vkey code. My old phone do not work. I want to keep my old phone number. This is my second night trying to activation my new phone and keep the same number. I bought my frist phone in 2006. I lost my vkey code. So what do I do now.
A  15th of Jan, 2008 by
I,too,have had alot of headaches with virgin mobile,mainly texting issues. I have been put on hold for 25 minutes,tying up a landline,and then they disconnected me,and customer service voice prompts are a pain at times.I eventually just shut off my texting service,so as not to have to deal with the frustration.After that being done,it really hasn't been too gasket-blowing.

Virgin Mobile Logo Virgin Mobile