Virgin Active / charging after cancellation
I'm a student in Cape Town.
I opened a "student account" with virgin active. The employee implied that this contract would only be active for a year. Little did I know that the contract includes "fine print", which states that if no notice of cancellation is given or if one hasn't paid the due fee at the end of this year, that the contract will be automatically continued for another full year. Under the new Consumer Protection Act that came into effect on 1 April 2011, this is not allowed, and if they include this, then they are required to SPECIFICALLY point this out to you, just a little bit of background information.
However, that is not actually why I'm submitting this complaint. After I cancelled my contract and paid my due fee in the last month of my contract, and after receiving confirmation from 3 employees that my contract was really cancelled, I was certain I was done with Virgin Active. Three months later, I receive notification that my contract was renewed, and that I had a due balance of a few hundred Rands...I spoke to the Virgin Active's accounting department and clarified the situation.
Now, after one and a half years of regular harassment from various "law firms" (which, by the way, are actually really debt collecting agencies) I'm sick and tired of this. I lost my receipt of my last payment, which also serves as a proof of cancellation, a long time ago, and now have to prove to them that I'm innocent, even though it's clearly Virgin Active's fault. I even personally spoke to the manager of the Cape Town Virgin Active, requesting they go back to their vast archive of transactions, which would easily prove I was wronged. However, nothing was done.
So, to everyone out there that is considering opening an account with Virgin Active, beware!!! Even at my past place of employment, there were 5 others that had the exact same problem like me. My mother even cancelled her premium membership with Virgin Active in Namibia as a form of retaliation.
Also, if anyone has any information that could help me get rid of this once and for all, please feel free to share.
Pascale aka Virgin Active Hater
More Virgin Active Complaints & Reviews
- Virgin Active - gym membership cancellation 
- Virgin Active - problems with club membership agreement 
- Virgin Active South Africa - bad customer service 
- Virgin Active (Waterstone Village Somerset West) - multiple debit orders
- Virgin Active - personal training structure
- Virgin Active South Africa - service at jabulani mall virgin active
- Virgin Active South Africa - power failure at virgin active eco park
- Virgin Active South Africa - humewood virgin active
- Virgin Active South Africa - my son that's in school getting an account at virgin active
- Virgin Active South Africa - step classes been taken away at virgin active tygervalley racist club manager