Victoria's Secret / customer service/credit card

PO Box 16589, Columbus, OH, United States

February 3, 2010
In November (2009), I purchased two nightgowns at your store in Eugene, Oregon for $40 with my Victoria’s Secret credit card. The clerk had to call to get my account number so that I could charge the items because I didn’t have my credit card with me.
When I hadn’t received the bill the next month, I called customer service to find out why. The customer service representative wasn’t much help. She stated that my bill came via email. Since I hadn’t received it via email or any other way, I asked her for my account number so that I could pay it on the Victoria’s Secret website. She stated that she couldn’t give me the number over the phone but I could make a payment on the phone for an additional fee of $10. I didn’t want to pay the additional fee, especially because the balance of the account was only $40. Unhappy with the outcome of this conversation, I asked her to have her supervisor contact me. All I needed was an account number or a bill with the account number on it so that I could make my payment. The supervisor never called me.
My life is fairly busy. I’m a full-time student, I work part-time, and I’m a mother of three teens. I forgot about my bill. Last Saturday (January 30), their collections department contacted me by phone to let me know my account was past due. I tried to explain to her what had happened and that I needed my account number to rectify the situation. The only assistance she had to offer me was to charge me additional fees so that I could pay the payment online. I asked to speak with her supervisor in an effort to get this problem resolved but that didn’t do me any good. I tried to explain the situation to the supervisor and she told me she wasn’t going to debate who I spoke with or anything else with me. I asked to speak with her manager and she told me she could not guarantee he would return my call. My response to that was not good. I was livid at this point. You can’t guarantee your manager will return a customer’s call? Are you kidding? She hung up on me.
Because I never received a bill and my account number wasn’t available to me over the phone, I think Victoria’s Secret could have made some kind of effort to help me with this situation without charging me more money (maybe they could have sent me another bill when I called the first time to tell them I hadn’t received one). Instead, I paid their company $82 for a $40 purchase.
My credit history proves that I am a responsible debtor. Before this incident my FICO score was 761. This is because I take my credit score very seriously. Until this, I hadn’t had a late payment in over 10 years.
When I wrote to request they remove the 30 day late mark from my credit report, they DECLINED stating it wasn’t their fault.

Jj