Verizon Idearc Superpages

Posted:

superpages contract scam!

4.4
I was told by my salesman too that the contract was month by month and that if I was unhappy with my ad that I could call in and cancel it. I contacted many levels above this rep. and was stone-walled at every turn. These people are crooks. The fact is that Verizon doesn't even own Super Pages, Idearec does. I don't know what to do. They fall back on their click through statistics. Their argument goes something like this; "your ad is working because we see that you have x-amount of clicks or hits on your ad." Hits mean nothing if they don't turn into business or calls. I have had websites before and hits mean little.
Complaint comments Comments (42)    Updated: Complaint country United States Complaint category Online Scams

Comments

A  26th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am recent former employee of Idearc and you are correct it is a big corporate scam. The only way to cancel your account is by having it approved by the sales rep. But no sales rep will approve this because they have to payback the commission. So what they do is just ignore your calls, and the supervisors in sales are just very successful sales agents so they lose money to if they approve the cancel. But it runs much deeper than this, they lie to the employees and customers at every step of the way. The goal there is to sell and not support. When you call customer service they are required to try to sell you something first resolve the problem second. I couldn't get on board with the lies so i was pushed out. CORPORATE CROOKS
A  3rd of Dec, 2007 by    0 Votes
I would like to know what is Verizon doing about this or if they care at all as well.Are they only in it for the money like idearc is. They do nothing but cheat and lie just to screw you over. I never agreed to anything with idearc but I get a bill every month. And the funny thing is I don't even know what it is for. There is no explanation at all on the bill for what I am being charged for. Well from this day forward I will not have anything to do with idearc but with Verizon as well.
N  10th of Jan, 2008 by    0 Votes
Last year they started charging me for advertising without any contract at all. When I questioned them on it, they realized they didn't have a contract and stopped charging me. This year they called my wife who also helps run the business, but does not handle the advertising. My wife said she would agree to the same thing we had in the previous year (which was nothing), but she didn't know it was nothing. They duped her into a $128 per month contract. She wouldn't have opted for this if she knew the facts.
N  26th of Jan, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I too have just been "scammed" by Idearc in that they claim that I signed on for another year. I did not. I would not have done this. They also sent me over to Greenberg, Grand, and Richards for collection.

I filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan Dallas, 1601 Elm Street, Suite 3838
Dallas, TX 75201, Verizon, and the Federal Trade Commission.

Are there any other consumer or business advocacy services available?
A  28th of Jan, 2008 by    +1 Votes
I was "scammed" by Idearc in that they claim that ok'ed a 126.00 a month deal in August. The recording will vindicate me im sure because there is no way I would have ok'ed such non-sense . I did not. I would not have done this.

I plan on filing a complaint with Better Business Bureau , Verizon, and the Federal Trade Commission.
D  2nd of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
Well...Search engines goal is really to drive traffic to y0ur site not to make the sale for you. If you place an Ad on Google or Yahoo it is the same thing. If people don't like your website or business it is not really the search engine's fault.

Now for the others some of you mentioned a contract some of you didn't. Did the contract say 12 months? If it did there is really nothing you can do because...well you signed it! If the contract does NOT say 12 months then you shouldn't have any problems disputing it or even involve the LAW on this.

I am not here to protect Idearc but most of the posting I see on here are probably from people that signed a contract without reading it. No matter WHAT Sales Reps say! ALWAYS read contracts before signing it.

We are all adults here ....shouldn't we know better??

Italo Pinciroli
A  28th of Feb, 2008 by    0 Votes
I finally got them to stop OVER charging me by contacting the BBB!
N  10th of Jun, 2008 by    0 Votes
I as well have never signed a contract, contacted them multiple times to discontinue a service i never requested nor know what the service is for to no avail. I have reported this to the Better Business Bureau, Verizon, Federal Trade Commission and the debt collector.

We are all adults here - I wish the people at idearc were too.
A  25th of Jul, 2008 by    0 Votes
Now i'm starting to see the full picture. Just based on the few comments that I have read I wish that I would have read them earlier. Idearc sold me on a serch engine package but failed terribly at getting it set up and completly ignored my input and repeated requests. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and also posted a blog of the event timeline and its open for public comment. Go to the URL below to read just how unprofessionsl these people can be.

N  19th of Oct, 2008 by    0 Votes
In the month of Feburary 2008 I closed down one of my businesses. I had already contacted with all the other companies in order to close my company down without any penalty charges. However I’ve been trying to contact Superpages for 7 months now. They continue to keep charging my company (which does not exist anymore) between 200 to 400 dollars a month. Through e-mail here’s what they sent me:

“Are you noticing more business or phone calls lately? That’s because your SuperPages.com advertising is active and working. As a result, we need to inform you that your credit card has been charged $386.46 for click activity on SuperPages.com. A small price to pay for the life of your business.”

Apparently the only way to cut off this deal is with a single people which I havent been able to contact for 7 months. I’ve been continually calling them and all they kept doing was tossing my calls around between several different people. It’s frustrating that there are no ways to contact this company to end my billing. Theres no cancellation contract, no way to change programs, and no customer services. Even then, their services were not as beneficial as the money pays for. If I were you, I would shiek in terror by the very notion of using superpages.com. Is there any way to stop them?
A  1st of Dec, 2008 by    0 Votes
I am currently waiting on the phone to try to cancel my account. I keep getting the same runaround from the receptionist, and never able to get a sales rep. Also the sales rep gave me a dead # for callback, and the receptionist gave me the same dead # (800-491-9701), supposedly the # for sales. Of course customer support is not able to cancel my listing. Then they gave me another bogus # (800-461-6771) which is a receptionist # for a "different dept". I confirmed my de-listing in Oct 08, now Dec 08, and the sales rep called to say "I wanted to see if you wanted to make changes to your account". Of course they did not de-list me, they just waited until the deadline nears, and avoid me to maintain the existing contract for yellowpages in 2009.
I will contact the Attorney General's Office after reading that this is how they do business to continue to scam customers.
N  31st of Dec, 2008 by    +1 Votes
Crooks is right. Superpages wouldn't know what ethical meant, if they fell over it. I had to cancel my credit card to get them to stop charging it.

As soon as they started escalating charges on my card, they said they "would send me proof that there had been clicks". The clerks who answer the phone said I could not see the clicks. I could not talk to the salesman. The supervisor was not available. Then they sent me to billing, who sent me back to "customer service" (as if they know what that means!).

When I finally managed to close the account by canceling my credit card, the story changed. "Oh you were able to see the clicks when you were active"!! Of course these people can never reveal their last name. They can never escalate the call to a supervisor.

I think the way to start is with the top: Call Scott Klein, CEO; Frank Gatto, Executive Vice President of Operations
Samuel D. Jones, acting CFO, SVP of investor relations; Michael D. Pawlowski, SVP/CMO
Their revenue $3, 600 million USD (2004) # of Employees 7, 100 (2008) Website idearc.com
A  16th of Jan, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Hopefully my nightmare is just about over!
They pulled a " bait and switch" on me in October 08. "Click" charges were never mentioned in the verbal agreement between myself and my "sales rep". It was all about "enquiry fees". They said that "when someone contacts me i would be charged a $1 fee.
The first months Visa bill arrived with $189 in click fees! I didn't receive even one phone call!
This is when things turn ugly!
I attempted to phone my acc manager, no answer, so i left 3 voice mails. 1 week goes by without a reply. I sent 3 emails, no reply.
I then sent a 4th stating that i was canceling my credit card. Surprise, surprise i get an email saying someone will phone. 2 weeks later still no phone call. So i contacted BBB. Another surprise! i get a phone call from Superpages diputes department. I asked, why has it taken so long for them to contact me? Her answer was that "her department is very busy" . I said " i bet you are" LMAO. They have a department working full time on complaints from the BBB! The lady on the phone went to great lengths explaining to me that "click" and "contact or enquiry" means the same thing ! Also that they will not esitate take court action!
The bottom line is : SUPERPAGES IS A SCAM. Spread the word
D  7th of Feb, 2009 by    -2 Votes
i tottaly dis agree with you ppl because am working there and i know how thus works u can't cancel a contract if u passed the first 14 days after the third party signing up process which is teh verfication system they are not frods when they give any buisnes no. of searches its the exact no we have on our tracking system that we provided to each of you so it's not idearc's problem it's tottaly your problem and by the way we don't take credit card ino so the one who says we do or someone tooke his credit card info is a liar or was scammed by other site such as superpage.com... not superpages.com and it's not verizon's now it was verizon but now it's idearc media the oicial publisher's of the verizon yellow pages book but let me ask you all this did you get customers out of there or not ...am sure u did and they covered the ad's money that u r paying so stop it and ppl whoi comes from other compatitor companies just to say some bad stuff abput idearc superpages so they can make ppl leave it and have a chance to advertise in thier sites pplease guys there's somthing called honesty you have to learn and stop that
N  7th of Feb, 2009 by    -1 Votes
big al i wanted to tell you a tip never take paper click if u are covering ur home county take tier 2 coverag not paperclick cuz with all ma respect it's made only for major co.and 189$ a months is not money and you can't judje a program from the first months as all biz owners know so take tier three its the the best or tier two u gonna pay 150$ per month and u will have ur tracking system to see how this works for you and if u want to grab more attention to ur ad enhance it with yellow highlight and red color that will be 150+22+27=199$ a month and u will be having the best ad u can have for ur biz and when someone wants to cancel he must do it before the 14days is over starts when he is on the third party sound verficatuion sys. before the 14 days is over you can cancel it but after that you can't you may pause the paper calick but u will pay money so y having paper click go on with the other tiers take this tip from an honest man whose working in sales in idearc superpages
A  11th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
Well, add my landscaping company to the list of people screwed by Superpages. I was told by salesperson Viginia Gallagher that I would be charged $1 per click when people visited my site, was charged an average of $3.21 per click. There's a lovely $47 administrative charge per month, which of course was not mentioned by this salesperson either. I searched all of the keywords that would pull up my company's name over a period of about a month and it NEVER came up. Still, they claim that in the snow and rain of Seattle, 66 people in a period of the first week of February visited my site. In the meantime, many landscaping companies are going out of business and no one is receiving calls for work. This is the last year of Seattle's Flower and Garden Show because no one has the money for booths or exhibits. I can't imagine why with all of these people looking for landscapers on Superpages! Wonder why not one person referred by Superpages has called in the last 2 months when over 100 have visited my site. Hmmmmm... $350 per month with no return. Now that's a crappy advertising product. Someone needs to take Idearc and Verizon down. Everyone needs to fight these people. Pressure your credit card company or bank to fight the charges. They are not authorized if you did not agree to the terms!
N  13th of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
And ad yet another. I am a concrete contractor. I've read all the above posts and they basically cover many of the same problems I am having. I cancelled my credit card to stop the charges. Monthly pay per click charges averaged $70 through most of the year...and then, impossibly, my January bill was $380. I've been in business for 30 years. No one in Philly is looking for a concrete sidewalk in January. There are a lot of things wrong here. I too am gonna call the better business bureau.
A  22nd of Feb, 2009 by    0 Votes
i agree with all this company is scanner . There a lot of things wrong with this company.
D  13th of Mar, 2009 by    0 Votes
maybe your business just sucks! its so easy to call someone a crook, rather than figuring out why customers are NOT choosing you... just a thought, whiney ###!
A  24th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
This flakely Company started sending me bills and ran their own ad on one of my phone numbers. When i inquired they told me i had to pay and when i requested to see my signed contract that i never approved of it, they could not produce one but turned it over to a collection agency who hounded my business. i sent them a certified letter to quit calling my company and i persisted to see a signed contract. They then said they had a verbal approval from a phone conversation from a employee to do the ad and did not need a signed contract. All my business for past 20 years is on signed contracts, not some trickery company getting a employee name and cooking some taped approval up. Beware of these low life losers who have nothing to do but try and screw someone over!! i will never pay these idiots!!

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree