ValuePlusOnline / Unauthorized billing

I was called sometime after 3pm on a Sunday by a woman that refused to answer my questions. She said I had to be transferred to a 3rd party "authorization center". I stayed on the line, because she told me she has my credit card; she provided the last 4 digits. She knew my name and my address. She said it was a courtesy call, but she also said I would be "charged a dollar". She said that the dollar charge was an "introduction" to coupons, and that I would also receive a complimentary $40.00 coupon for free gas. Again, she refused to answer any questions probing for details.

When I got to the "authorization center", they refused, flat out, to answer my questions. The only answer I did get was that this was for Value Plus Online. (http://www.valueplusonline.com/ ) When I tried to ask questions, they refused to answer. Instead, they tried to get personal information out of me. When I probed for why they were doing this, I was called an "idiot" for not wanting $40.00 of free gas, and an "imbecile" for asking the questions I asked. The "supervisor" that was helping me literally yelled at me when I told him I do not want their gas, or their coupons, or the $1.00 charge. He slammed the phone down. The number they called from does not take inbound calls. The website does not provide contact information. Since it is not possible for me to determine with 100% accuracy whether they are a scam or a legitimate company, I will not make any assertions or accusations. However, my experience was unpleasant in the extreme, and disconcerting. I found myself calling my credit card company to order a new card. (The "supervisor" said I had already "agreed" to charges...even though I did nothing of the sort.)

Comments

• Ro
      6th of Mar, 2008

Oh my God!! I know exactly how you feel! Two days ago, I had just re-loaded my empty Mastercard/Debit account with $100.00 to pay some bills easier online. I swear, not 2 minutes later, there were two charges:
    WC *VALUE PLUS-V
    800-475-1942 ,MN
    Terminal: 55432868 -$24.95

WC *FUNSOURCE MNTHLY-V
    800-475-1942 ,MN
    Terminal: 55432868 -$ 24.95

I wanted to CRY!! How is it so easy for credit card accounts to just be charged on with unrecognized names and without any authorization by the cardholder? My Mastercard company did reluctantly (because it's a Debit card) take both of the charges off my account yesterday after calling them. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED LAST NIGHT? Yes, the charges were again added back to my card by the same company, as if to say HA HA. I wish we could do something more about this fraudulent activity. But, I think there is more of a hassle trying to get the charges taken off, then it was for them to be charged in the first place!!