US Airways / Standby Policy

1 United States

If you haven't noticed, US Air has changed their standby policy. Instead of same day standby, you can only fly standby within 6 hours of your original flight. I tried to fly standby from Grand Junction, Colorado today. My original flight was at 6:20pm. The next earlier flight was at 12:15pm. This is 6 hours and 5 minutes with no other flights between these two times.

Low and behold, both reservations and the airport wouldn't take my $75 and let me fly standby because I was outside of the rules by 5 minutes. There's no room for human touch or human judgement, just the rules. Never mind that US Air had seats on the flight I was trying to fly standby and could have pocketed $75 by letting me fly standby.

From what I can tell, the other major airlines still allow standby flight same-day (with a fee). US Air is the only one with the 6 hour rule. US Air is fee happy and rule happy. The employees don't look like they're enjoying themselves (unlike Southwest). Passengers generally don't look happy.

Only fly US Air if you're ready for rules, fees and a complete lack of human touch. Amazing they can stay in business...they resemble America West more and more in my eyes...

Apr 20, 2013