United Bank of Africa / Refusal to return my personal information

I'm a Canadian citizen with a Nigerian heritage. I was in Nigeria last month for the first time in 40 years visting family in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State. On Nov. 25 I tried to open a personal savings account at a UBA branch in Yenagoa. I submitted a completed application form including a copy of my Canadian Driver's License, Passport and two passport size photos. I had downloaded the form from the UBA web site and completed it before I left Canada. I handed my application to an officer at the bank named Michael who reviewed and accepted it. I gave him N100, 000 (one hundred thousand Naira)in cash as a deposit to open the account. Michael gave me a receipt but advised me that an account number would not be available until the following Monday, November 29. When I asked why? He said that it was the banks policy. I phoned him at 2 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 29 to ask if my account number was ready. He said no but advised me to call back at 3 p.m. I called back to be told that the bank required a utility bill pyment receipt with a Nigerian address. I asked why they accepted my application without it and why I was not informed. To make a long story short, I went the following day (Tuesday, Nov.30) and demanded my completed application form with all supporting documents and N100, 000 deposit back. They refused and starting playing delaying tactics. I asked to speak with the Branch Operations Manager, Mr. Uwem Nkanga. I screamed and yelled at him before my N100, 000 cash deposit was reluctantly refunded. However, the Manager would not returned my application with my personal confidential information.

Ai

Comments

• Ok
      28th of Apr, 2012

pls sir, i am okey ottah okore, i was meant to had recieved my account number from you, until now, it has not been sent to me. in this regard my company which is feima investment nigeria limited open on my behalf.pls, if is not going in my mobile phone, you can send it through my e-mail e.g okeyottah@yahoo.com.Thank you.