[Resolved] TXU Energy / late bill claim

Fort Worth, TX, United States

From [protected] I was a customer of TXU Energy in Fort Worth, TX. During that time I had my share of problems but nothing was too major or uncommon. In September of 2008 I switched my power company from TXU to another company. I did not receive my final bill until I called TXU and they stated that I had a $0 balance. I assumed that my new power company had switched over usage and overall I did not think too much of it. In March of 2009 I received a call from a collections agency stating that I had a balance of over $200 due to TXU. This came out of the blue with no other written, verbal, or electronic communication from TXU. I then called TXU back and asked why I had not received any kind of communication from them about the bill, which they did not have an answer to. I asked if all of my information in their system was current, which it was including the address, phone number, and email address. After some frustration with people on the phone from TXU and the collections agency I paid the bill.

Then September of 2009 hit. I went to buy my first car and when they pulled up my credit score they said that an outstanding TXU bill was on my credit and that it hurt my score by OVER 100 points. I then called TXU again and was told that no in fact my balance had not been paid. During the time between my first call in March and September I had moved and somehow I could not find the confirmation number from the collections agency. I never received a paper saying it was paid, but I was deducted the amount from my bank account. Once I was back on the phone with TXU, they stated that they could not take another payment of mine to close the account but that I must go through the collections agency first and then call them back to make sure everything was taken care of. So I paid the bill AGAIN with another late fee attached and made sure I received a statement from TXU stating that my bill was paid.

All in all I paid the energy bill 2 if not 3 times and my credit score is still almost 100 points lower than it could of been for the next 7 years because of their inaccuracies and poor communication. It hurts my ability to receive a good interest rate on the house I am under contract for, I cannot get store credit cards such as Target or Sears. In defense of my credit, I have had a credit card for over 10 years, balance always paid, and with a credit limit over $9000. I bought a new car and have been current with payments for over 2 years and I have no other negative things affecting my credit. It is amazing to me how one company, one bill, can practically control my credit score, rating and ability to be approved for things for 7 years.

• Resolution statement

• TXU Energy Retail Company Customer Care's Response, Jul 29, 2011

I would like to see if I could help. Please email me at [protected]@txu.com so we can discuss.

Thanks