TXU / Billing Overcharges

Grapevine, TX, United States Review updated:

I have called TXU numerous times since I took back my home from a previous renter in July 2017. Each time I complained tht the meter was not working correctly and that the bill was too low (between .26 and $19/month. They finally came out to check it out in Dec. I have now received a bill for $3000 for the 6 months. There is no way we spent $500/month in electric. When the service person came out to the property, they told my son the utility company could not determine the usage and that they would charge the maximum they could for the 6 month period. Who can I contact to complain?
Alexandra Everist

Comments

• Pl
      6th of Nov, 2006
    TXU - Get no respect, no perks, no sympathy when we have a problem!

The highest in the land - as hot as it is here in tx!
    My electricity was cut off today (of all days). I called txu to see if they would grace me by turning it back on until i received my check on thursday, 10/19/06.
    I was told so graciously by the rep. That i would need to get a cooler and put my food in there, this is after explaining to the rep. That i was laid off my job 2 to 3 weeks ago and just recently got a new job on 10/11/06. I also explained to the rep. That i have 2 kids - one 13 yrs old with asthma and an infant. She repeated to me to either pay without compassion and/or to call 211. I asked the rep. Would she want me to tell her that if she were in my situation? She wouldn't answer! Which pissed me off even more because we are all human and each one of us has at one time or another has unfortunate situations happen to them! I disconnected the line. Txu:

Thanks a lot txu for helping out the "little people" the single parent mothers who work - not on drugs, actually working, and not on welfare or trying not to be..... A mom who is trying to hold it down for her kids!!!

Your representative(s) were rude and inconsiderate of another person's plight - it showed in their attitudes - a team is only a reflection of the company they work for!

We see they work for you money hungry greedy shareholders who are only concerned with the $ - the bottom-line. The customer service professionalism that your reps. Discuss so dearly and want praise for is fake - because they are not allowed to do all they can -

Txu customer service is not geared to nor are they able to do really do all they can for the working class or single parent households - we are paying your checks, your christmas bonuses, and keeping txu in business! But we get no respect, no perks, no sympathy when we have a problem.

Get a better program of guidelines! Stop taking people for granted just because you think can!

You can't take your riches to heaven nor hell!"

• Os
      7th of Nov, 2007
    TXU - Stay away from TXU

I have been fighting arguing with TXu for the past 8 months. Probably Ill say that I have called them at least 60 times with no success. Every time I call and ask for a manager they will say: they are in the other line and will call you back which never happens. I have waisted a lot of time, efforts to resolve this issue and nothing. My account was sent to collection because when I closed because of the "terrible" service there was a 3.95 dls convenience fee which I was aware of and they decided to sent me to collection. My credit was good and now because "the charged off" status of TXU in my credit report my credit score went down quite a few points. The only thing I can say is don't use them because you will have your worst nightmares ever!!!

• Fo
      16th of Nov, 2007

I used to take calls. Calls from TXU Energy customers. I used to be there in the front line, dealing with situation like yours everyday. It's not that a representative does not care, is just that some representatives run out of touch after listening to the same statements over and over again. Of course, nobody wants to be told that there is no solution. I'm a hobbyist musician, with a weekend gigging band, it's our passion, it's what we work for through the week. We got robbed last weekend, lost 10,000 in equipment. It hurts, it might not be an infant or a kid with asthma, but it hurts. Sometimes you have to learn from the hard situations life puts you through what makes you learn. Yeah, I also work hard for what I have. Work everyday. But sometimes, things like this happens.

• Va
      7th of Nov, 2008
    TXU - Bad customer service
    Houston
    Texas

Long time, never late customer. Nearly 2 weeks of no service due to Ike. Next bill is "estimated" and way more than reasonable. TXU, when called, said just pay half and we'll work it out next cycle (they could not read the meter because of storm). Fast forward to next month. They charge a late fee, threaten to cancel service if not paid, and say on statement that the extension was my idea!

Calling support (Philippines) was not a customer-friendly experience ("supervisor"). Refused to even apologize saying it was "out of their control" - what a way to make a custoemr furious!! I'll be moving to another vendor ASAP. TXU=Totally Clueless Utility

• He
      9th of Feb, 2009

Damn I think they do it on purpose. They have "estimated" my bill several times in the past 5 years. Since it's always been around 100 dollars more, I was always advised to pay and get credit next month when they actually come and read the meter.

This time they "conveniently" skipped one billing period, estimated that period, and then estimated next month's bill on top of the first estimate. Ah, and they probably estimate based on the average Texas Hummer owner who runs A/C all day on a 5, 000+ sq foot home.

Result: A bill for $393 (for two months) when it should have been $50, since during one of the months I was on vacation and turned everything off (including Wat. Heater and Fridge!)

• Pa
      5th of Apr, 2009
    TXU - switched me without my consent
    txu.com

Switched my electric company without my consent, sell person came to my house, I told him to leave me the information and i'll look it over later. Next thing I know he switched me over...is this legal ????? how do I get out of it ???

• Hu
      3rd of Jul, 2009
    TXU - Wrong Billing
    TXU ENERGY
    6840 Bellehaven Dr.
    Plano
    Phone: 972-527-2176

I have lived in my house since 2017, when I pulled my credit report it showed that I owned that I owed TXU $839 - Upon my challenge they did not clear my account but instead changed to "Charged Off" this is hurting my credit score. I want TXU to clear my account or show me why it cannot be done.

• Sp
      15th of Jul, 2009

They did the exact same thing to me.

• Me
      25th of Aug, 2009
    TXU - Beware of TXU 's practice
    Houston
    Texas

I received an electric bill for over $700 in July which is about double the amount that we usually pay. After we talk to TXU and find out they are charging me a much higher rate but they have a so call cheaper plan that I can switch to. I don't understand what this is all about “a cheaper plan”. They can not just raise my rate and then create another plan so they can rip you off without you knowing it. We initially switch to TXU from Reliant Energy because of their better rate. Now I know once they got you they will try to fool you. I recommend if you are with TXU you need to check your plan periodically and watch they closely. You don’t know when they will pull this trick on you again.

• De
      15th of Oct, 2009
    TXU - Took my meter!!!
    Fort Wort
    Texas

My husband was laid off so we were two months behind with our bill. Our disconnect notice was received and 5 days before, we called to make a payment. We had to pay the two months plus a reconnect fee and a deposit. We were promised our electric would be on that day. That evening we called back as we still had no electricity. We could not get into our home due to the fact that we use our garage door opener to get in & out. Our little dog was locked inside as well as my son's medication he needed. When we called that evening they finally informed us that due to our electric being off over five days, they had taken our meter. We would now need an inspection from the city. When I told them they were wrong and our electric was turned off that morning, they called me & my mother a liar. I offered to let them come check my fridge and then they slandered me by saying that we must have tampered with our meter. I wouldn't have a clue how to "tamper" with it and I never did. Two days later, we are now waiting on the city and have no electricity. I am so worried about my dog with no food. I cannot believe a company with humans working in it can treat someone this way. HORRIBLE customer service!!! HORRIBLE company! Stay away from them!!! They only want your money.

16th of Oct, 2009

I would love to help all of you who are tired of TXU. I am a consultant with Ambit Energy, and we don't cheat people. We have low competitive rates, and a customer referral program you have never see before, which allows you to qualify for FREE energy. We also give you a FREE trip voucher (2 night hotel stay) just for trying our service. There is no charge to switch your service. There is a simple on-line application to fill out @ www.kellisteam.joinambit.com or you may call me with any questions @ 254-913-0986. I will be your personal energy consultant. We also have a fantastic business opportunity for those who want to help others save money on their energy bills.

16th of Oct, 2009

Ask TXU to provide documents where you signed saying you wanted their service (or voice recordings)...when they can't do it, they will be forced to let you out of contract. If you are not in a contract, then simply choose which provider you would like to use, and call them. They take care of it from there, and you'll never even have to talk to TXU. You might consider Ambit Energy. We don't do things like this, in fact we have a 3rd party verification company who calls each and every customer that signs up with Ambit, just to be sure they chose Ambit Energy as their provider. You will not get service until that call has been made (this protects the company & the customer). I am a consultant with Ambit and would love to help you get a great rate, travel reward points, and a free trip (2 night hotel) just for trying our service. Call me @ 254-913-0986, or just go to www.kellisteam.joinambit.com We also have 3 mo., 6 mo., and 1 yr. terms, + month to month. You don't have to lock in for a long time with Amibt.

16th of Oct, 2009

Most likely what happened is that you were on a month to month plan, which means that your rate can fluctuate every month, and in the summer months it is usually higher. TXU was using this to their advantage when you called them to get you to lock in for probably multiple years @ a lower rate. Then if you cancel before your contract is up, you pay a penalty (sometimes up to $500.00). All provider's have these penalty's if you break your contract, but Ambit Energy doesn't have multiple year contracts or try to trick you into locking in for a long period of time. We have 3 month, 6 month, and one year term plans, and we also have competitive month to month rates. Not only can we save you up to 30% or more off TXU's rates, but we offer travel reward points (to trade in on travel), and a free travel voucher (2 night hotel stay) just for trying our service. You also have the ability to earn FREE energy each and every month, just for referring 15 customers one time. Call me @ 254-913-0986, and I will be your personal energy consultant. Or you can sign up yourself @ www.kellisteam.joinambit.com

• Re
      19th of Oct, 2009

I left TXU 4 months ago and am glad I left. But I can also say that Reliant Energy sux just as bad! I switched to them and signed up on a plan called "Secure-12" and agreed to a rate of 11.8 cents per KWH. But 4 month into the contract they have changed me to a higher rate. They said that the fine print on the "Secure-12" contract stated that they could do this. All electrick companies suck and the politicians that are supposed to protect us are even worse!

• Fr
      21st of Dec, 2009
    TXU - Incompetent Customer Service
    TXU Energy

I put this on a comment to another complaint posting, but I wanted it here for everyone to see and read. Bottom line...the customer service for TXU is incompetant and lacks the understanding required to resolve disputes with this large corporation. Every time I call now, which seems necessary almost every month now, I get someone in Guatemala or Manila or El Salvador. These people do not even understand my dispute and tell me one thing when I call this time, only to hear that the information given during the previous call was incorrect when I call the next time. I have learned to document each call, the customer service personnel's name & ID number, as well as where they are located, and the outcome of the call. However, it apparently does no good and means nothing to the company. When you call back to find that the previous call was not handled correctly on their end, there are no repercussions administered to personnel who are not fulfilling their job requirements--only an apology that I was given the wrong information. I ask to speak with a supervisor and am told they must call me back. Of course, I leave my name and contact information but never receive a call back. Wait! I did receive one callback...on a Saturday! I have been in a dispute regarding a balance that came out of thin air on an unknown account number, of which they applied payment for my current account to this other untraceable account. They could not even locate the account my payment was posted to or explain the reasoning behind it! It was like I had never made a payment period! I finally got the issue resolved, so I thought, after three months of calling and making "good-faith payments" on a current account, only to have it show up again now in November. I have made at least nine calls over this past month regarding this dispute, with no resolution to date. They tell me it is a balance on my "old" address, which they call out and I inform that the address they are referring to is my current address. Then, they review the payment history and find that it is, in fact, not a balance owed by me on my current account so it must be from a prior address, of which they cannot even identify and give to me! I am burdened with the time and effort of disproving the balance to be from any prior address at which I had service with them. Thus, I request copies of bills from my previous address in 2017, and they are unable to provide them (due to the system change). They send an itemized list of my prior residential dates of billing and amounts due each month. No record of my payment history can be sent so I must pull financial statements going back two years, which costs me time and more money. I inform them that I did not receive any notice of an unpaid balance on any account and, thus, request copies of any outstanding or overdue notices from a prior account that would have been sent to me. Again, they cannot verify this with paperwork. The last move I made was in May 2017, where I transferred service to a new residence. At that time, they took my transfer order and then never even turned my service on. I had received a letter thanking me for service with TXU energy, but my new landlord showed up at my home demanding to know why I had not established service for the residence. I called TXU and was given the explanation that the order was placed but never carried out. "That's odd. I don't know why it wasn't turned on. I see the order right here." There is no mention of any discrepancy on my prior address that may have interrupted service to be turned on at my new residence. They apologized and turned it on immediately. By this time, almost two months later, shouldn't I have received a notice if I owed a balance on the prior address or did not pay the final bill from then? How come I never received any notices regarding this "so-called" past due balance and then it shows up out of the blue in December 2017, when I receive a notice in my name with an address I have never lived at, in addition to an account number that cannot be traced (although they credited payment to the unknown account number)? Now, we are back to square one with the same issue in November 2017, of which they have transferred this balance to my current account. Again, I presumed the issue to be resolved as I have not received any further notice of discrepancy from resolution date of April 2017 to now, six months later. I get the letter about the transfer to my account and call the number on there three times. It never goes to a person. You must also leave a message to be called back. I do this to inform of the past resolution, but no one contacts me and the amount is transferred to my current account. Finally, I get through to someone (today) who tells me I must go through the research process again, as it was not resolved. In the meantime, they will not remove the balance from my current account until I prove their error, and they charge me late fees when I pay only the actual amount due. This results in an error on my payment history, which will cost me more money to change companies now since I cannot obtain a letter of good payment history to avoid deposit fees. I will be changing, though, and pay a deposit if necessary. It will be worth it! I hear over and over that their system is not the greatest, that they cannot pull any information regarding accounts from the "old" system in place before the merge of TXU SESCO to TXU Energy, and that the consumer must prove any error on TXU's part. How can they keep doing this? What are my rights as a consumer, or where can I go (that doesn't cost me more money) to find out my rights? Dealing with TXU displays an unrelenting cycle of incompetency and very poor customer service. Furthermore, I would adamantly deter anyone from obtaining service from TXU! If you do, you will pay...in more ways than one!

• Ai
      20th of Jan, 2010

I am having the same issues!! Before Hurricane Ike, I requested my service to be transferred. Cancelled at current and started and new. They started the new service but never cancelled the old. It took me ayear to resolve and in the meantime had to pay on the old house to prevent disconnection! Now I received a bill for an apartment I lived at 8 years ago!! Same scenario. I cancelled the service but it was never cancelled and apparently they allowed whoeve was living there to go 5 months without paying their light bill! Now they want me to pay for service that was not even mine!!! I have been dealing with this for two months now... Now they tacked on the amunt due to my new account and are threatening disconnect if I dont pay. If this happened twice to me then it has to be happening quite a bit across the board!

• Ta
      26th of Jan, 2010

I'm in the same boat. I switched services today. I got a better rate and will probably save $700 this next year. I expect I will probably have similar customer service issues anywhere I go, but atleast I won't have to pay as much for it.

• Wa
      16th of Feb, 2010
    TXU - service
    TXU electric
    North Richland Hills
    Texas

We had signed up for new service at a house we just bought. The previous owner had disconnnected service for 8 days prior to our taking possession of the house. We had new service turned on on the 10th of Feb. We had service for 5 days, then TXU cancelled the service. Would not say why, or how, but only that we never had signed up for service. It has been a complete nightmare dealing with these people, and I might add, not one english-speaking person among all of them that I could understand. Are there no Americans working anymore. I will never use TXU again, and I will do my best to persuade others not to either.

• Ih
      21st of Mar, 2010
    TXU - Faulty billing system
    Texas

TXU is Horrible- STAY AWAY!!!

I was a TXU customer for 7 years, but in 2017, I only received 6 bills from TXU. I called and reviewed my account online at least once a week because I did not understand why I was not getting billed. I did not want a balance to snow-ball into a huge amount. Each and every time I checked my balance, both online and via TXU customer service, my balance was shown as $0. Now that I moved in November of 2017 and changed companies, I received a bill for over $1620 from TXU. I was told many different stories by TXU customer service without any satisfactory results. I FAILED AN INFORMAL COMPLAINT WITH THE PUBLIC UTILITY COMMISSION. While they agreed that TXU had billings problems and that I had paid in full every bill that TXU had sent me: however they say TXU had a billing problem. Now, in March of 2017 I am required to pay for TXU's mistake???? I am now filing a formal complaint and writing to my state representative to hopefully get better resolution of this issue- I SAY STAY AWAY!!!

• Dv
      16th of Jun, 2010

TXU did the same to me in Dallas. I paid the final bill after switching to a less expensive provider. I paid another final bill. Then they turned my account over to collections. I called and they agreed nothing was owed, but to get them to send the letter stating that will take you two hours a day for the rest of your life! "OK, we'll get that out to you in about 2 weeks." They dropped my credit score by 69 points. Stay away from this company!

2nd of Aug, 2010

I had the VERY same thing happen to me. Stopped getting a bill in Feb. 2017, called more times then you can count talking to reps and service reps and every time I was told that my balance was $0. I repeatedly told them that this was impossible as I was using electricity. So in September, 2017. I received a $549.95 bill. I reported it to Texas Public Utility Commission and after a lot of back and fourth, they agreed to drop $199.51 from my bill leaving my balance at $350.44. They then said they would set up a payment plan...NEVER received a payment stub or heard anything from them. BUT in March, 2017 I start getting calls from a collection agency. Call TXU and finally just paid the whole thing up front to be done with this HORRIBLE company. So they agree everything is being taken care of and nothing will go on my credit report. I check my credit report this month and guess whats there! They put that they wrote off $350.44 and I was supposed to pay $199.51 but didn't so they reported it! I called them and said, first of all it HAS been paid, second of all if you are going to write that much off give me the $150 I apparently over paid! So I once again filed another report with Texas Public Utility Commission. I called TXU today and they claim that the "investigation" was finished and I owe them nothing and they will remove it from my credit report. I'm sure this will be a much longer process then what they just made it out to be and I will be checking my credit report every month to make sure they do so. This company is ridiculous! If you deal with them write everything down, persons name and id number and what time, how long and date that you talked to them!

• Wi
      16th of Sep, 2010

I had the same problem as your, eventualy they owned me some credit in my account and for some reason their employee report to collection agency and stated " account charge off"... This is messed up I think whoever work in billing departmetn and sent my accout to collection agency should get fire for their mistake... It been 3 months since I found out the messed that TXU gave me ( Thank you very much for your giving me the MESS). My credit score was not look good like your right now. I ended up to hire an expert to help my to get my credit score back and the work in progress. I agreed with your comment.

• Na
      8th of Dec, 2010

I have gone throught the same scenario, TXU customer service is just like you are from Third world. they estimate bills and un willing to make adjustments. They do not care how much trouble you have to go through. Then they tell you to call service provider ONCORE? I am TXU customer not oncore. Any way TXU is going off my house. Call about cheating, they do it to you and rob you every days and you would not even know it!