Trenitalia / money stolen!

1 Italy Review updated:

On viewing my credit card statement online I noticed $368.60 had gone to trenitalia. I had to google this to see what it was as i'd never heard of it before and then I came across this site with other people in the same boat. I contacted my credit card company immediately and they have promised to contact me within the next 7-14 days. Hopefully the person responsible will be found before it happens to other people who may not notice.

Va

Comments

• Ke
      19th of Jan, 2008

Trenitalia seem to have a history of allowing credit card fraud. I've had the same thing happen to me this week and when I've googled trenitalia, I've come across this happening for over 12 months. It's so bad that many credit card companies block their cards from being used on the trenitalia website.
    I hope you get your money back, in Australia our banks are quick to cancel the card and return the funds.

• Sh
      27th of Feb, 2008

Trenitalia has tried twice to withdraw $550.00 from my debit card. I never heard of this company and had to google to find it. I want to know where they are getting card info from people.

• Ka
      25th of Mar, 2008

Same thing happened with me. First it was very small amount so I ignored it and now its 110 euros. Any idea how to make a complaint to them and get the money back?

9th of May, 2008

I just got billed $370 from trenitalia. My credit card company emailed me straight away to verify the transaction and blocked my credit card in the mean time. They are sending me a new card, refunding me the amount and pursuing this matter further with the culprits. All I can say is thank god for the card fraud department!

• Ga
      6th of Jun, 2008

I have has AU$275.00 taken from my credit card and have no idea how this has happened. In the process of making a written complaint to credit card issuer who wont do anything till its in writing!! Meanwhile someone has used my card fraudulently. I have used this card once only to buy online airtickets. How do they get my details!!!????

• Ei
      7th of Jul, 2008

Trenitalia train conductors also prey on tourists who don't and have no way of knowing that they need to validate their train tickets after purchase. They purposely don't tell tourists when buying tickets at the window and all signage is in italian, although a majority of the non-italian tourists speak English (unlike every other European country that ensures even tourists know to validate). These conductors have a notoriously bad reputation, subjectively charge different "fines" and pocket some of the cash they receive. We're never going back to Italy again because of this and many other problems (ie. trash, rudeness, etc.).

24th of Sep, 2008

I work for major bank credit card dept, we see lots of trenitalia and can dispute through visa if you advise us within 120days of it hitting your account, unfortunately as of yet no point of content is identifiable. we require a writtenletter/ stat dec as we submit this to visa. bollette telecom is also an issue. best bet always monitor your own account regularely and report ASAP

• Go
      2nd of Dec, 2008

i want to remove my registration from trenitalia.it

• Go
      2nd of Dec, 2008

bad services

• Pa
      18th of Feb, 2013

Way back in 2007 or 2008 I noticed charges on my Allied Bank credit card statement that I did not recognize a couple to a train company in Italy called Trenitalia and one to a web hosting company in USA. I think the amounts were around US$1200. I informed Allied bank right away. I even found other people with the same issue on this website, example here: https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/trenitalia-c41569.html Allied Bank failed to do a charge back within the normal 120 days. They then decided that I should pay the amounts due and I refused. Eventually the issue was "dropped" by Allied Bank and they no longer pressed me to pay. I closed the card account. I had previously been an excellent client always paying by card bills. Now fast forward to 2012 and I get an offer for a credit card from Metro Bank. But they cannot issue it because of a bad credit check because of the issue from Allied Bank. I contact Allied Bank again to try to get this issues all cleared - clearly I am not a bad credit risk. But they said they require payment of over US$3000 which covers interest and legal fees so that they can clear my name and the account. I refused and tell them its their fault for not doing a charge-back in the first place. They are now reviewing their decision. But I been waiting since December 2012 for them to decide.

• Br
      19th of Nov, 2016

I have the same issue too. I received a SMS saying my card authotized Uber to charge me a CNY7. In no way it would be me since I am not in China. Then I called my bank and found that there are some more transactions in HKD and GBP not done by me amounted to around GBP1000. I only purchase clothing online from some reliable sites and I have been doing it for years. Nothing like this has happened on me before until I made a few purchases on Trenitalia. I thnk Italo is a much safer choice for travellers.