Toys r us / scammers

Toys R Us in Times Square advertised they offer indoor viewing of the Macy's Parade to be above the crowd and out of the weather...of course at a premium price. What they do not tell you is (this is a quote from the Toys R Us manager in the store) "They will not raise the shades with their advertising off the windows." so it is impossible to see anything outside when inside the store. To see the parade I went outside and stood on the curb, which I could have done for free. I along with 230 other people paid big bucks basically just to use their restrooms. Of course they will say they were contracted by a tour service to use their building and this is not their fault. Wrong, it was the Toys R Us store Manager that would not raise the screens on the windows. By all means go to the parade but don't be a victim of the Toys R Us parade viewing scam.

Lu

Comments

• Su
      13th of Jun, 2009

I am a manager, and what happened to me yesterday at TOYS R US is the worst thing a business can do, the worst business practice I have ever seen, and the worst MANAGER in front of a business..!!!

I purchased a scooter as a birthday present for my kid, this is an electric scooter manufactured by RAZOR, model E200, it was purchased on June 17, 2006. The scooter was working fine and my son has been enjoying it, until it had some kind of electronic malfunction on June 29, 12 days after it was purchased. I was told by the STORE that is has a 45 days warranty and I clould return it to TOYS R US..and it also has a one year full warranty from the manufacturer...

I decided to go to the store for the warranty, the first thing I was told my the MANAGER was: sorry, we can not take it back!!...I am really sorry, but we do not accept electronics items for warranty. You must contact the factory and place a claim. I told him, that this was his responsability, and he should take it back, and give me another unit or send this one to the factory at their expenses, not mine. He got mad, and said: sir, I repeat..we do not take this kind of items back...if you read the scooter manual, it says: do not return to the store!!...I told him, that I was unaware of it, and this manual was hiden somewhere in the box..and they told me when I purchased the item, that it has a 45 days warranty from the Store.

He said, that the lady who told me that, is wrong and he is going to fire her.

MY QUESTION IS: If I purchase a car at a local GM dealer, and my car has something wrong with the electric windows and take it back to the dealer for warranty, will the dealer tell me to take the car back to the factory in Cincinatti, Ohio?

I BELIEVE TOYS R US IS WRONG!!..and I am also a manager and we take back anything from our customers, even if we have to send the items back to the factory at our own expenses!!!

TOYS R US is doing a bad business practice and I wonder if this is something very usual. I don't care too much about the cost of the scooter, it was $150, and I will buy now a motorcycle at HONDA for my son, is more expensive but I am pretty sure HONDA has a better reputation than TOYS R US..!!!..my advise to our readers and customers: try to avoid TOYS R US..!!!

• Re
      19th of Aug, 2009

I'm employed with TRU, and you're absolutely right. The manager there was in the wrong. We do have a 45 day return policy, and although the RAZOR manuals (as well as Intex pools and PowerWheels manuals) say not to return to store, if you have a dated receipt, and are within your 45 days, we do in fact refund/exchange the items. Even if you buy our extended warranty, we will still refund/exchange the item/warranty if you're within the parameters... Sorry to hear your TRU experience wasn't a good one :(

30th of Aug, 2009

Are you sure that was the manager?? That scooter is completely within the return paramaters. The best thing you can do, if you really want to cause a stir is simply go to anouther toys r us in the region and return it there. Its annoying but it works. Plus while there ask for the district mangers name and the complaints number as well as get the name of the manager who denied you. When names are mentioned things get done reaaaaal quick.

• My
      19th of Jan, 2010

i work at a toys r us at i see this all the time. Managers do not know how to do simple returns or their own policies. Next time this happens ask for corporates number and the managers name. Most of the time the managers will give you a poor workers name instead of theirs but simply walk to any register and ask an associate for the name of the person you talked to. Hourly employees for the most part are unaware of problems and are friendly so they would give you all the information needed. Sorry you had this experience i have worked at 3 toys r us and every manager is corrupt especially the ones near the los angeles area.

• Ty
      10th of May, 2013

I have been out of work since 01/30/2013 because I broke my knee cap in half. I have not been able to get any help with my recovery and I was trying to get some gifts or sales to help me along with my grand children. I am very poor now and I was going to get some toys from the toys r us to try and get some babysitting jobs to help keep my bills in order. I order what I was told to order and now when it's time to get the the certificate the screen is saying something that it is incomplete now. I ordered the books which will help but I needed the other things that I was planning on getting with the false certificate. That is not right for anyone at all. I will take this further.