Toyota / oil consumption, ticking noise from engine

1 Roseville, CAUnited States Review updated:

I had purchased a 2001 Toyota Celica gt in October 2005 to initially get to and from work, and in 2007 i noticed that the engine was consuming more oil then normal (1 quart oil = 500miles) after the oil was changed at 96, 000 miles, i also started noticing a ticking noise coming from the engine compartment that was only noticeable while driving and i dont know what caused it. I've taken it to Roseville Toyota in California to have it checked out and they kept blaming it on my exhaust, even when i took a technician for a drive to let him listen to the noise, but he still said it was my exhaust. I have taken my car to them multiple time to have them check it out and also had them do a valve adjustment to see if that was it. It's been 3 years now and 133, 000 miles later I'm still dealing with these issues, except now its ticking all the time. Please help, i'm getting tired of dealing with this issue and its starting to get too expensive, having to keep buying oil every 500 miles. I am a college student and i commute to and from school (68 miles round trip, five days a week), and these issues i've been experiencing is so frustrating, and the engine ticks soo much like its about to break down, and the anticipation of when it's gonna break down is getting to be very irritating. I had initially purchased the car knowing that Toyota was known for making reliable and durable cars like Honda, so i decided to give Toyota a try and see if it held up to its reputation, and plus it was an upgrade from my 89 honda civic that i use to have. I've experienced more mechanical problems with this car then my civic had and it was an 89. I thought Toyota was suppose to be reliable, durable, and dependable, i guess not. If i would have known these cars had soo many issues ahead of time, I would have just stayed with honda, at least i know Honda lasts longer then 200, 000 miles.

thanks

Comments

• Ex
      25th of Jun, 2010

You may have distrib O ring, valve cover gasket, cam seal, crank seal, oil pump seal leak. Go to another dealer. Did u change timing belt and tensioner at 90k miles?

25th of Jun, 2010

Fix the distrib o ring and valve cover gasket leak first. Do others with timing belt change for 1 hour extra labor. Search dealer sites for coupons.

25th of Jun, 2010

Change oil pump o ring also when replacing oil seals. Same labor.

• Ak
      7th of Aug, 2010

This is a similar issue with celicas. I have had 4 Celicas since 1978; the last 3 (the first was sold before 50, 000 miles) have developed mysterious oil leaks at around 50, 000 miles. These leaks have never been properly diagnosed by any mechanic, whether it be a Toyota dealer or otherwise. I can't even begin to determine the thousands of dollars of repairs going into all t he cars, but my last bill was over $2000, and the oil leak is worse than ever. SInce getting the car back from service (a month or so ago and I drive the car very little), I have put 8 quarts in. I want to write to Toyota, but will probably be treated with the same disrespect as others. Anyone have any ideas>

A. Kaiser