Time Warner Cable / billing issues

Cleveland, OH, United States

Here's a fun one which a few people MIGHT have experienced from the rip off company known as Time Warner Cable.

I lived in WA state for awhile and decided to move with my partner to Cleveland, OH. A friend of ours let us rent the upstairs for a reasonable fee (and we trust them too). So the week before I decided to leave there, I wanted to get the utilities (TV/Internet) set up, so I ran across the dreaded Time Warner and found the 2 year price lock to be a decent deal (it was priced at $89.90).
So since I didn't have a credit card at the time, I asked my parents if it was okay if they paid for the setup and they agreed. The purchase from hell soon began starting 2/20/2010.

1) The first error was on my part as I gave the wrong address, so they had to reschedule (no big deal). I was due to arrive at my new place on 3/1/2010, so we rescheduled for 3/3/2010. As funny as it is, the technician did NOT have anything nice to say about TWC, AT ALL, but continued to install (lucky us...I guess).

2) The channels that I get...guess what, are almost ALL DUPLICATED on other channels! So for instance, the ones I get on one channel, I guarantee you I can find the SAME CHANNEL, just numbered differently! And to top it off, I'm not talking about the HD channels (because I don't HAVE HD).

3) As I will note below, there are a couple of 'hidden fees' that they don't tell you about, especially when you get your first bill!

4) I get my first bill...for the amount of $204.28. What does it entail? The following (this is on the BACK of my bill):

BEGINNING BALANCE: $0.00
PARTIAL MONTH CHARGES: $92.89

NON-RECURRING CHARGES: (The dates are all for 03/03)
* HIGH SPEED DATA INSTALL: $0.00
* VIDEO INSTALLATION: $9.95 <<< HIDDEN FEE ALERT
* HSD SOFTWARE SETUP/EDUCATION: $0.00
* DATA INSTALL NEW OUTLET: $0.00
* DATA ALL EQUIPMENT INSTALL (CONVERTER/MODEM ROUTER/OTHER): $0.00
NON-RECURRING CHARGES TOTAL: $9.95

CURRENT MONTHLY CHARGES: (The dates are all for 04/03 - 05/02)
* DIGITAL CONVERTER: $7.70
* DIGITAL REMOTE CONTROL: $0.29 <<< Seriously, 29 cents for the use of a remote control???
* DIGITAL DOUBLE BUNDLE: $84.90
Bundle Includes: Basic Service, Standard Service, Variety Pack, Music Choice, On Screen Guide, etc...
CURRENT MONTHLY TOTAL: $92.89

FRANCHISE FEE: $7.18 <<< HIDDEN FEE ALERT!!!
SALES TAX: $1.30 <<< How do they calculate their sales taxes????
FCC REGULATORY FEE: $0.07
TAXES & FEES: $8.55

AMOUNT DUE: $204.28

So the way *I* see it, my bill should look more along the lines of:

BEGINNING BALANCE: $0.00
PARTIAL MONTH CHARGES: $92.89
PAYMENT: $89.90
(which sets it at $2.99)

NON-RECURRING CHARGES: (The dates are all for 03/03)
* HIGH SPEED DATA INSTALL: $0.00
* VIDEO INSTALLATION: $9.95 <<< For the sake, I will add it in anyway for this bill
* HSD SOFTWARE SETUP/EDUCATION: $0.00
* DATA INSTALL NEW OUTLET: $0.00
* DATA ALL EQUIPMENT INSTALL (CONVERTER/MODEM ROUTER/OTHER): $0.00
NON-RECURRING CHARGES TOTAL: $9.95

CURRENT MONTHLY CHARGES: (The dates are all for 04/03 - 05/02)
* DIGITAL CONVERTER: $7.70
* DIGITAL REMOTE CONTROL: $0.29 <<< Again, gag me
* DIGITAL DOUBLE BUNDLE: $84.90
CURRENT MONTHLY TOTAL: $92.89

FRANCHISE FEE: $7.18 <<< See DIGITAL REMOTE CONTROL FEE
SALES TAX: $1.30 <<< Can't calculate this since I don't know HOW they get this.
FCC REGULATORY FEE: $0.07
TAXES & FEES: $8.55

AMOUNT DUE: $104.43

Oh, and before I end this, mind you I talked to a rep, they said to get a copy of the bank statement with that charge and take it into a payment center. I did that (04/09/2010) and the lady there was nice, but she said I need the Transaction Reference Number since there was NO record of that payment being made in the system...odd.

If this keeps up, I will be writing TWC and if they attempt to shut off my services for non-payment of services, especially after going through all this, they won't like what follows next (can we say, lawyer?)

Ps