Thrifty / scam/#

1 Denver, United States Review updated:
Phone: (303) 342-9400

My wife and I had a terrible experience at the Denver Airport Thrifty. We had booked a car through orbitz and it was to be about 120 for the couple days I needed it. I had the confirmation papers and even called before we left from Detroit to make sure they would have the car.

Well after our flight, we took the shuttle to the Thrifty and I showed them our paperwork. The guy behind the counter said Okay, and which insurance plan do you want? He gave us a middle-tier insurance program.

I then asked what the average cost of gas was in the city, to which he replied "about "$3.15" and we can guarantee your rate of only $2.99 a gallon if you purchase a full tank. - I thought about it and then declined. (I later found out that the average cost of gas there was $2.45)

I give him my card and he wants me to sign the disclaimer/contract.. I read it over and it says the cost is $350.00
I questioned him and he came up with some BS about insurance, taxes, fees. Really a bunch of bull. But we weren't left with much of an option. I asked about if they had cheaper cars I could rent. He said they do.

So I said okay, give me a sub compact and leave that insurance charge off. To which he replied, we cannot do that.
I said, why not? You just said you had smaller cars available. He responded that the computer has my name reserved with that first car we booked weeks earlier and it cannot be voided. I said, I never signed anything. He just said sorry, that is how the system works.
So I said, okay, my wife would like to rent that car then. To which he replied, "We are not taking walk-ins"

I ALMOST LOST IT. I immediately said, I need to speak to a supervisor. 5 minutes later he came back and said that he was in a meeting. I went over the whole situation again and he said we had to leave.

This pathetic rat of a human being had me pretty upset. So we walked out with no car... We walked into Advantage and I was expecting to run into the same thing. This was not the case. We received great help and were so happy with the service, I had the girl add insurance and a full tank of gas to the order so she would get commission. Even with gas and insurance, it was still 120 less than thrifty and the bogus rate.

Stay away from them.

Ni

Comments

• Be
      1st of Jan, 2009
    Thrifty - racial preduice
    thrifty san antonio airport
    San Antonio
    Texas

Recently I went on line in need of a rental through the holidays. I looke dthrough all the sites and the cheapest rate came out to be thrifty. I called before I went over to verify car type and to see if since I was employed at the airport was there another discount I could get. when I called I was told the car type would be a sebring or similar. When I gor to the site the gentleman pulle dup my rental told me I had 2 reservations and I told him the one for the weekend to cancel. Having not ever rented in the area I didn't know that the rate was really low for the area. Not my fault anyone renting could have wen ton line and gotten the same rate. Well I was told that since I had gotten such a low rate that I would have to take a large family van. and if I wanted I could come back in every day and check to see if they had another car well, the parking lot was full of cars but I quess since I was a black female I would have to take what ever or not get a cars. or were the cars reserved for special people. When you make a reservation for a car type or a room type you expect that your reservation in honored requardless of race or price. Upon return of the vehicle I spoke with the manager who granted me all of $10.00 for having to take a bus when I rented a car.and who also told me I could talk to his boss If I wanted But, who no doubt he had already talked to before he made the huge adjustment...

• Tr
      15th of Mar, 2010
    Thrifty - pick again

lousy experience.

waited for an employee to finish a personal call on his cell phone before i could pick up the car. needed road-side assistance, which i was told at the time of the call, was to be covered by thrifty. upon rental return, road-side assistance insurance had been added to my bill. this effectively reimbursed me 50% of my road-side cost. additionally, it took several calls before the refund was processed. thrifty, it seems, had a problem w/ the receipt i was given by the cab company that they sent for me.

i would look elsewhere for a rental car company.

• Al
      2nd of Jan, 2011
    Thrifty - credit card
    United Arab Emirates

i arrange to rent acar from thrifty from kuwait int airport it was the fisrst time and will be the last time .First iwaited for about 25m to get the car .They are out of date regaring using the net he could not get the booking number which i gave him also my last name which is awaist of time.when return the car i have to call them and wait for about 20m to pich up the car.third they need only cash credit card is Not accepted.or the system they are using is manual only cash.sorry i will Not use this copmpany again.