The Hearst Corporation, Invoicing Bureauunauthroized renewal of o at home magazine subscription

I ordered the magazine through Oprah.com and my subscription expires March of 09, but I have just gotten a bill from The Hearst Corporation saying I agreed to auto renewal and that they had previously written me about this, which they did not. There is no phone number or website given except on that accepts payments only, so there is no way for me to cancel this unsolicited invoice. What do I do? Thanks, Bernadine Young

Comments

Dec 04, 2008

i did not order this marg.it is redbook acc. no [protected] cancel

Jan 02, 2009

The same thing just happened to me. I paid for the Oprah Mag. for 1 year from April 07 - Mar 08, I have a copy of the cancelled check. I never renewed the subscription, nor do I want to and they are saying my bill is way overdue. Of course, there is no phone number of who to call. I do not want my credit wrecked because of this scam. Who do I contact about this?

• Wo
      Feb 09, 2009

I just got sent a subscription to Redbook as well as Country Living. I did not order either one of these. There is no phone number to contact them. How do I correct this error they have made?

• Ta
      Feb 18, 2009

I got the oprah mag as a gift and it is expiring and i just got a bill as well, I have not authorized anything and I don't want to renew my magazine. What are we suppose to do.

Mar 23, 2009

I just got a notice that I ordered Good Houskeeping and I did not. I don't want it Cancel it acct# [protected]. This is a major scam!

• Pa
      May 15, 2009

I am so upset that their invoices do not contain a phone number. Scrimping on customer service, I suppose, but then how do we communicate regarding bills in question?! Oh, I guess that's the point, they don't WANT us to communicate with them, and expect us to just PAY any bill they choose to send. This is sooo frustrating!

• Ka
      May 26, 2009

This just happened to me as well. I received a letter from Hearst Corp by G.L. Valk, VP - "Invoicing Bureau" at the top ... for O Magazine ... which I did not order. Of course there is no contact information whatsoever except for the pay online link. This is such a scam! Think of all the people who are writing checks just so these nasty invoices go away. Total fraud ... not to mention a horrible representation of these well-known magazines. How can we stop the madness people?

• Be
      Jun 16, 2009

I to receive a magazine and then an invoice, and I did not order any magazine. I think that it is awful that there is no phone number for you to contact these people. Hopefully it will not go on your credit report.

• Da
      Jun 19, 2009

I signed up on her website for a free trial, and now have a bill of $19.67.
    I only received on magazine.
    She lied to me and told me I could cancel on her website without penalty.
    I just canceled my subscription, yet there is no way for me to contact them via phone to dispute the erroneous charge.

• Ex
      Sep 27, 2009

Ok, guys. so we all have the same problem. I can't fond a place on this website to resolve it, and that's all i care to do.
    Ok, Complaints Board people What do we do? Help!!

• Ne
      Oct 14, 2009

I had the exact same problem with subscriptions to the Oprah magazine that I ordered as Christmas gifts for my mother and mother-in-law last year. This type of negative billing is actualy illegal in Canada. I have e-mailed their customer service dept. Maybe we should all e-mail Oprah !

• 29
      Jul 04, 2010

Yeah I got one of these. Deceptive to say the least. I googled around until I found the Hearst page for it's various magazines and clicked on mine. There is some sort of "manage your account" button. If you enter your account number from the mailing label, all your info comes up and you can click on a "cancel my subscription" button. I did that and then got a message that my subscription has been canceled. As far as I'm concerned, that ends the matter.

• Me
      Jul 05, 2010

I ordered the magazine from the food net work last year paid in advance together with sub. for good house keeping.
    the sub. expired did not want to renew . however the relentless of letter
    and over due notes are not stopping. today I get a letter from G. L. Walk. vice president? . that I need to resolve the matter of not paying and that my " good standing with the com. is at risk" what kind of B.S. is that. I do not want to renew. that mag. again. Also I will buy from the news stand in the future so that Mr. v.p will not be upset.
    stop harassing me. thank you account no. [protected]

• P0
      Jul 10, 2010

I can't believe this place...unbelievable...if you want to be a proper place of business, why don't you include a phone number on the invoice...what a bunch of scam artists...I tell you what if I ever order a magazine in my life, it won't be from these dicks..

• Br
      Sep 27, 2010

I just recieved the same letter as you guys and it really made me mad.. I searched and searched until I found a phone number by some other pissed off people. The customer service # is [protected] the customer service rep was quite nice, I'm sure that they are expecting these calls. He said that I was on a continuous auto renewal becasue I ordered online when I ordred Cosmo. Call them and cancel!!! I will NEVER order another magazine where Hearst is involved!!!
    [protected]...[protected]...[protected]

• Tr
      Oct 19, 2010

I just called this 800 number...thank you Brecken for finding it!! Obviously they send these bills out just expecting people to pay them no questions asked (since they hide their number very well). I called in and they told me they will get it cancelled and remove the charge and this will not be sent to a collection agency or impact my credit history. So that pretty much tells me that they know it's wrong and if we were to fight the charges they would lose so if you are lucky enough to figure out their phone number they will cancel it no questions asked. That is messed up!!! Everyone should call the 800 number and cancel!!! [protected].

• Pi
      Nov 03, 2010

I can't thank you guys enough for digging out the 800#. I told my salesperson, that IF I had not gotten the number from this board and had to keep digging...I definitely would have cancelled my 2 years subscription to Country Living. I also asked them to tell the 'big wigs' to put the number back on their mailings. He said he would pass on the request. They extended my subscription to coordinate with the date of my call. It has now been extended to November 2012. Nancy

• Bw
      Dec 08, 2010

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM EXCEPT I GOT MY SUBSCRIPTION FRO COUNTRY LIVING BY A GIFT FROM A FRIEND AND NEVER ORDER IT MYSELF BUT KEEP GETTING BILLED FOR AUTOMATIC RENEWAL WITH NO PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS OR WEBSITE TO CANCEL. I NOW HAVE A COLLECTION LETTER FOR THIS. THEY HAVE ALREADY STOPPED MAILING THE MAGAZINE TO ME AS WELL. I WISH SOMEONE COULD STOP THEM FROM DOING THIS TO PEOPLE.

• La
      Jan 01, 2011

I sent the Hearst corp. a money order for 45.00 for the Orah Mag. & no magazines since the first one 2 months agao at least ...WTH??!! Rip off or what??

• Ti
      Jan 05, 2011

First cancel your subscription online by browsing to the site for the magazine you want to cancel. Then call Hearst Corporation directly in NY at [protected] and follow the voice prompts to get to a human. Say magazine, the the name of the magazine then a human will come on and you need to ask for the number for subscriptions. In my case it was Popular Mechanics at [protected]. Another machine to which this time you respond other and you will get a human being who will confirm your cancellation and send you written notice by snail mail. Hope this helps.

• Ti
      Jan 05, 2011

Hearst Publications can be reached at [protected] in New York.

• De
      Jan 24, 2011

Wow, thought we were the only ones until I happened upon this site! Parent died. Cancelled all subscriptions and requested name and address to be removed. Am now getting subscription renewals with a purchase date AFTER original subscription had expired and not been renewed. AFTER parent died, get it! Also billing statements of $14.97. Turned this matter over to FTC and our state's attorney general's office. This is ELDER FRAUD and can be considered harassment under certain criteria at credit bureaus. Postal Service also has a system that can track when you cancelled or forwarded or requested no more bulk mailings. I forget the form number, but it is proof when you go to lodge a complaint that you did what you were supposed to well before the billings that Hearst wants payment for.

• Ke
      Apr 22, 2011

I cannot begin to voice how disappointed and disgusted I am with the approach to magazine renewal. I paid for my last subscription to O Magazine. I didn't ask for automated renewal, I sent a cancellation notice, I don't owe any money and I received a Past Due Notice with a statement saying it was the 6th past due notice I received. I can only imagine what an older person would do...they would think they were past due and pay it. If their goal was to ensure that I never purchase O Magazine again...they reached their goal. Such an inappropriate approach to business is pathetic and when it is tied to Oprah, even more shameful, someone should be monitoring the businesses they are using to do their work. I am totally ticked off!

May 31, 2011

I was surprised the first last year when I received a bill stating that I owe for another year's subscription. So I paid the charges last year but recently I just received another invoice for this year stating the same thing. I am not renewing again. I will not be subscribing to this magazine again. Subscription should be by choice and automatic invoicing is not by choice. It is like forcing me to buy something just because I purchased it once. Sally

May 31, 2011

Call Hearst Corporation at [protected] to cancel subscription. I don't agree with automatic invoicing it's like forcing you to buy something every year just because you subscripted once. The first year I went ahead and paid the invoice but this year I decided to take a stand. I cancelled my subscription. Sally

• Lk
      Nov 29, 2011

I receive an invoice for The Hearst corporation invoice bureau charge me for a subscription I do not want to renew!!!
    Please can somebody cancel-void this charges ???invoice payment number GHK10356033471123718085631012000000000000A2400 . Just to let everybody know this corporation dare to ask me to return a envelop with payment for a magazine I do not want to have anymore and I sent to them a letter asked politely to avoid the "charges" they impouse to me.Let me go out, what's going on here... help ! Look all this complains !!!This type of negative billing shoud be actualy illegal!!! Lou

• Ca
      Feb 03, 2012

I did not order your "0" magazine for another. I do not appreciate you doing this automatically without my permission. Please cancel.

• Es
      Mar 25, 2013

Add me to the list of complaints against The Hearst Corporation. I ordered O Magazine, paid for it. When it was time for my subscription to renew, I started receiving past due notices that indicated that they were extending the "privilege" and that I had agreed to be billed and am several months past due. No phone number was provided or even an email address. I went through my records and confirmed that I did send them a check for the first year and returned the notice with the check number and my phone number and had not received a single word back from them. Many other people would have just paid it. I really think this company needs to be held accountable for their practices.

• Li
      May 17, 2013

I got an invoice saying I ordered oprah magazine...I DID NOT, , , , , DO NOT WANT, , , , , , ,

• Lo
      Jun 16, 2013

I got an invoice from O Magazine stating that I agreed to be billed later for my magazines, First of all I sent a check for the full amount on March 21, 2013. I have been receiving them since you guys first came out with them. This is the second time you all have pulled this about a bill I didn't owe. For all the years that I've purchased these Magazines I should get a year free! Thanks Loretta Leonard-Tisdom

• Bi
      Jul 23, 2013

Add me to the list, cancelled my mother's subscription to O ages ago, stopped receiving the mag, yet got a bill for $15.00.

When I went to the website "paytheoprahmag.com", my virus shield blocked the site as a malicious site.

I called the 800 number given in a previous post, and voice robot took information to cancel... fingers crossed.

• Ir
      Mar 24, 2014

i also did not renew theoprahmag. i got a bill for 33.00 dollars today...i am not going to pay for something i didnt ask for...no phone on bill so cant cancel it...now what do i do. [protected]@hotmail.com

• Re
      Mar 27, 2015

You can go to: http://www.oprah.com and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. Click on
    Customer service. Enter your account number and the security code listed.
    Then on the left hand side of the page click on cancel subscription.