The Hearst Corporation, Invoicing Bureau / unauthroized renewal of O at Home Magazine subscription

I ordered the magazine through Oprah.com and my subscription expires March of 09, but I have just gotten a bill from The Hearst Corporation saying I agreed to auto renewal and that they had previously written me about this, which they did not. There is no phone number or website given except on that accepts payments only, so there is no way for me to cancel this unsolicited invoice. What do I do? Thanks, Bernadine Young

Comments

4th of Dec, 2008

i did not order this marg.it is redbook acc. no 0164017824 cancel

2nd of Jan, 2009

The same thing just happened to me. I paid for the Oprah Mag. for 1 year from April 07 - Mar 08, I have a copy of the cancelled check. I never renewed the subscription, nor do I want to and they are saying my bill is way overdue. Of course, there is no phone number of who to call. I do not want my credit wrecked because of this scam. Who do I contact about this?

• Wo
      9th of Feb, 2009

I just got sent a subscription to Redbook as well as Country Living. I did not order either one of these. There is no phone number to contact them. How do I correct this error they have made?

• Ta
      18th of Feb, 2009

I got the oprah mag as a gift and it is expiring and i just got a bill as well, I have not authorized anything and I don't want to renew my magazine. What are we suppose to do.

23rd of Mar, 2009

I just got a notice that I ordered Good Houskeeping and I did not. I don't want it Cancel it acct# 08 3257 6805. This is a major scam!

• Pa
      15th of May, 2009

I am so upset that their invoices do not contain a phone number. Scrimping on customer service, I suppose, but then how do we communicate regarding bills in question?! Oh, I guess that's the point, they don't WANT us to communicate with them, and expect us to just PAY any bill they choose to send. This is sooo frustrating!

• Ka
      26th of May, 2009

This just happened to me as well. I received a letter from Hearst Corp by G.L. Valk, VP - "Invoicing Bureau" at the top ... for O Magazine ... which I did not order. Of course there is no contact information whatsoever except for the pay online link. This is such a scam! Think of all the people who are writing checks just so these nasty invoices go away. Total fraud ... not to mention a horrible representation of these well-known magazines. How can we stop the madness people?

• Be
      16th of Jun, 2009

I to receive a magazine and then an invoice, and I did not order any magazine. I think that it is awful that there is no phone number for you to contact these people. Hopefully it will not go on your credit report.

• Da
      19th of Jun, 2009

I signed up on her website for a free trial, and now have a bill of $19.67.
    I only received on magazine.
    She lied to me and told me I could cancel on her website without penalty.
    I just canceled my subscription, yet there is no way for me to contact them via phone to dispute the erroneous charge.

• Ex
      27th of Sep, 2009

Ok, guys. so we all have the same problem. I can't fond a place on this website to resolve it, and that's all i care to do.
    Ok, Complaints Board people What do we do? Help!!

• Ne
      14th of Oct, 2009

I had the exact same problem with subscriptions to the Oprah magazine that I ordered as Christmas gifts for my mother and mother-in-law last year. This type of negative billing is actualy illegal in Canada. I have e-mailed their customer service dept. Maybe we should all e-mail Oprah !

• 29
      4th of Jul, 2010

Yeah I got one of these. Deceptive to say the least. I googled around until I found the Hearst page for it's various magazines and clicked on mine. There is some sort of "manage your account" button. If you enter your account number from the mailing label, all your info comes up and you can click on a "cancel my subscription" button. I did that and then got a message that my subscription has been canceled. As far as I'm concerned, that ends the matter.

• Me
      5th of Jul, 2010

I ordered the magazine from the food net work last year paid in advance together with sub. for good house keeping.
    the sub. expired did not want to renew . however the relentless of letter
    and over due notes are not stopping. today I get a letter from G. L. Walk. vice president? . that I need to resolve the matter of not paying and that my " good standing with the com. is at risk" what kind of B.S. is that. I do not want to renew. that mag. again. Also I will buy from the news stand in the future so that Mr. v.p will not be upset.
    stop harassing me. thank you account no. 0932778293

• P0
      10th of Jul, 2010

I can't believe this place...unbelievable...if you want to be a proper place of business, why don't you include a phone number on the invoice...what a bunch of scam artists...I tell you what if I ever order a magazine in my life, it won't be from these dicks..

• Br
      27th of Sep, 2010

I just recieved the same letter as you guys and it really made me mad.. I searched and searched until I found a phone number by some other pissed off people. The customer service # is 800-888-2665 the customer service rep was quite nice, I'm sure that they are expecting these calls. He said that I was on a continuous auto renewal becasue I ordered online when I ordred Cosmo. Call them and cancel!!! I will NEVER order another magazine where Hearst is involved!!!
    800-888-2665...800-888-2665...800-888-2665

• Tr
      19th of Oct, 2010

I just called this 800 number...thank you Brecken for finding it!! Obviously they send these bills out just expecting people to pay them no questions asked (since they hide their number very well). I called in and they told me they will get it cancelled and remove the charge and this will not be sent to a collection agency or impact my credit history. So that pretty much tells me that they know it's wrong and if we were to fight the charges they would lose so if you are lucky enough to figure out their phone number they will cancel it no questions asked. That is messed up!!! Everyone should call the 800 number and cancel!!! 800-888-2665.

• Pi
      3rd of Nov, 2010

I can't thank you guys enough for digging out the 800#. I told my salesperson, that IF I had not gotten the number from this board and had to keep digging...I definitely would have cancelled my 2 years subscription to Country Living. I also asked them to tell the 'big wigs' to put the number back on their mailings. He said he would pass on the request. They extended my subscription to coordinate with the date of my call. It has now been extended to November 2012. Nancy

• Bw
      8th of Dec, 2010

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM EXCEPT I GOT MY SUBSCRIPTION FRO COUNTRY LIVING BY A GIFT FROM A FRIEND AND NEVER ORDER IT MYSELF BUT KEEP GETTING BILLED FOR AUTOMATIC RENEWAL WITH NO PHONE NUMBER OR EMAIL ADDRESS OR WEBSITE TO CANCEL. I NOW HAVE A COLLECTION LETTER FOR THIS. THEY HAVE ALREADY STOPPED MAILING THE MAGAZINE TO ME AS WELL. I WISH SOMEONE COULD STOP THEM FROM DOING THIS TO PEOPLE.

• La
      1st of Jan, 2011

I sent the Hearst corp. a money order for 45.00 for the Orah Mag. & no magazines since the first one 2 months agao at least ...WTH??!! Rip off or what??

• Ti
      5th of Jan, 2011

First cancel your subscription online by browsing to the site for the magazine you want to cancel. Then call Hearst Corporation directly in NY at 1-212-649-2000 and follow the voice prompts to get to a human. Say magazine, the the name of the magazine then a human will come on and you need to ask for the number for subscriptions. In my case it was Popular Mechanics at 1-800-333-4948. Another machine to which this time you respond other and you will get a human being who will confirm your cancellation and send you written notice by snail mail. Hope this helps.