Telecheck / Bogus Service

1 Riverton, WY, United States Review updated:

I am 53 years old, have had a checking account for 40 years, haven't bounced a check in 30 years, and today I got denied the ability to write a check for $12.36 to Family Dollar. The reason? Because I wrote two checks to Walmart and one to Walgreens in the last 7 days, totalling less than $60. I live in a town of 10, 000 people, 100 miles from any larger cities. I refuse to own a debit card, because I do not want my account compromised, nor do I carry more than $20 on me, for safety reasons. This policy of TeleCheck's is discriminatory toward older people, because many of us do not want a debit card. I am trying to run a business out of my home, and this is my busy season. It puts a terrible burden on me not to be able to write more than three checks in a week that use TeleCheck Services. So, the next time I'm denied, I'm leaving my cart there for them to put my crap away.

Comments

• Th
      22nd of Sep, 2012

That's mature.

Since you run a business, how about you take risks on people's checks instead of the guaranteed payment of a debit card? I've had a debit card for well over a decade and my account hasn't been comprimised once. Quit being so paranoid.

• Mo
      22nd of Sep, 2012

There are still places that take cheques? They went the way of the dodo years ago here. Its cash, debit or credit. I have never had my account compromised from using my interac/debit card. Your cheques on the other hand have all your account information printed along the bottom and usually your name and address. It is much easier to steal bank info from a cheque than a debit card.

But hey - if you want to be stubborn then feel free, but don't expect the world to stop changing simply because you aren't willing to change and grow yourself.

• Fo
      23rd of Sep, 2012

I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with your age, but because you had written three small checks in a short period of time.

• Wi
      23rd of Sep, 2012

When I use to work in retail, Telecheck would reject checks when someone had written checks within a certain period of time, or for a certain amount before that, etc.

Its annoying yes, but imagine if someone else had been using your checks and writing them all over town, and Telecheck didn't have that system in place to stop it. Then you would be here complaining that Telecheck did not do their job.

But seriously, its 2012, get a debit card already. There are few things more annoying than waiting in line, and the person ahead of you pulls out that check book.