Target Stores / bad employment

1 Pittsburg, CA, United States Review updated:

This complaint spans several weeks.

My employer is closing, and Target sent a representative to talk to us about going there when the store closes.

The rep they sent was the head of thier Human Rescources department. They had arranged a "job fair" in our store to tell us about working at Target, pay, and jobs available. She came totally unprepared and had no information to give out - keep in mind this meeting was planned WEEKS in advance.

Despite that, I filled out an in-store application anyway. Several days later, another HR worker called my home and asked me to come in to talk to them. When I came in, they made me wait for 15 minutes to get a hold of her; and all she had to say was that I needed to fill out an application (she couldn't have said that over the phone?). I told her I had filled an application out already - so she put me on hold for another 20 minutes to look for it. She came back on the line and told me my application wasn't finished and I needed to fill out the last part. I told her I had already filled out the 'entire' application - she put me on hold again to look for that! She returned and asked me to come to the office to fill out a paper version because they "lost" mine.

I filled out the paper applications and waited another half-hour for my first interview (1 of 3). After the interview I waited for the second one. Both interviews went very well and the interviewers (not HR employees) where very nice.

After interview number two, the HR girl told me that my third interview would be done by their head of security, but he wouldn't be back for a few days. I waited a week and called back - they corrected the original "few days" to "he's on vacation for two weeks".

After the two weeks I called back to talk to HR about scheduling the interview. The first four times I called, no one answered the phone at all. I kept trying and got an operator to answer twice. One of the times she transferred me to HR and HR just plain hung up! The second time, the operator (again, not HR dealing with it) told me that there where no openings in their interview schedule, but I could leave a message and they would call me back later.

I didn't feel the need to leave a message. If these people treat you like ### after offering you a job, how badly will they treat you when you actually work there?

I talked to my co-workers who had considered working there and ALL of them expressed similar experiences. HR had either been openly rude or simply avoided talking to them all together.

Va

Comments

• Ca
      1st of Feb, 2009

Target is the worst place to work the store dose not stand behind there employees I volutary quit because I was sick of the lies I did everything by the book and they made promises they did not keep that place sucks and so do the people that come through your line they need to learn how to do some stuff them sevles because I not there mother and I just want to lodge that papermate pen in the guest neck and in all the other ### that I know so target treat your employees better expesially you ETL

• Je
      11th of Mar, 2009

I am a former Senior Manager for Target and I agree that they do treat you like dirt. Even management is treated poorly, behind the scenes of course but very poorly never the less. I worked their for 5 months and could not stand the way they treated me. I have been in the Army for over 20 years serving my country the best I can. Target did not care about my military commitment, they said that you are in a management position and the time off is worrying the store team leader (store manager). I hate Target I will never step foot in a Target ever again. Go Wal-Mart

• Po
      8th of Feb, 2011

I too applied at Target for seasonal work and was hired after the holidays. I've been there for several months now and had I known the company had such a bad reputation in the public eye I would have applied at Walmart instead. Here's to you Target - [censor] you and your red target bullseye mf dog