Swift Transportation / bad experience

1 2200 South 75th Ave.Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-800-2200

I enrolled and finished schooling at Swift Transportation's driving academy in Millington, TN in spring of 2006 to receive my Commercial Driver's License. I came home to Michigan and transferred my CDL. I drove for Swift for over a year and then left due to personal reasons.

01/21/09:
I received a letter from the Michigan Secretary of State stating: 'The State of Tennessee has provided us with information that the knowledge and driving skills tests provided in Tennessee to obtain a commercial driver's license (CDL) were not given in accordance with the Rules of the Tennessee Department of Safety, nor Federal Regulation 49 CFR 383. Unfortunately, this means you must be retested in Michigan in order to maintain your CDL.'

Upon receipt of this letter, I no longer work for Swift or any other trucking company. In talking to the State of Michigan I was told that to maintain my CDL I would have to pay for the retesting fees, and find/rent a tractor trailer to take the test in. At present I have no access to a semi and have not been behind the wheel of one for about 18 months--I had left the industry with the hopes of returning in the future, and plans to take some kind of refresher class upon choosing to do so. The date given by the Michigan Secretary of State does not give me enough time to sign up for a refresher course to prepare myself, nor to gather the funds necessary for retesting and truck rental. I do not have the money to do this. They offered me an extension, but I do not expect to have the money or access to a rig at any time in the near future. In the letter I received it also states that failure to act by the date provided will result in an automatic license downgrade to a non-CDL license.

At some point I had planned on returning to trucking. Now instead of taking a refresher course to return, I will have to start all over with full schooling to obtain a CDL.

This is a travesty to all of the Millington Academy graduates between [protected]. We paid $3900 in good faith that we were given a legitimate CDL. We trusted the employees of the school when they told us things were being done legally. Many of us drove trucks and other commercial vehicles for several years, not knowing that our CDL was in jeopardy... we had no warning that this could happen until our states notified us with very limited time to act.

Considering that many thousands of people paid a great deal of money for a service that was not rendered, something needs to be done. Legal action should be taken to rectify the damage done to these CDL holders. According to the Michigan CDL Help Desk the school was at fault.

Jo

Comments

• Te
      16th of Feb, 2009

i allso attened the millington school if you hear of any lawsuit please contect me tnks

• Su
      25th of Feb, 2009

I was a student at Swift Academy in Millington, TN CLASS 531 I have been driving for three years since then and have had no issues until now. I attended class all the way from Waldorf, MD and now came home to find a letter from the DMV stating that the third party testing is not valid from MAY 05-JAN 08 Swift Transportation passed hundreds of students a week. That is a long time and a lot of pissed off students that were mislead. I have to be retested after three years I don't think so. How the hell am I going to get my carrier to give me a truck to take a CDL Road test after three years. And if you do they are going to investigate you I mean If you had a driver come to you and tell you that, what the hell would you think and with the way the freight is now with the economy they are just trying to find a way to get rid of you anyway. I do not drive anymore but I still wanted to keep my CDL just in case. In my option Swift committed Business Fraud they make you sign a contract knowing that they have shady practices. We need to get a class action lawsuit against them for damages. Alot of drivers are losing there jobs now. l that time was for nothing. Please contact me if lawsuit is filed or want to get one filed

Bobbythomasjr@yahoo.com

Bobby
    Clinton, Maryland
    U.S.A.

• Be
      12th of Mar, 2009

I too am a product of Swifts mishaps. I went yesterday to retest to keep my cdl valid and failed. Nothing I could've done differently to pass. I failed due to not remembering exactly how fast the air pressure is to build up in the air tanks during the brake test. Now I am without a cdl and probably a job. Thanks Swift for your support in doing your job properly! If anyone hears of a lawsuit please send me an email.

Jamey
    Hummelstown, Pa

kodiacbear@hotmail.com

• Be
      12th of Mar, 2009

kodiacbear77@hotmail.com

• Sw
      27th of Mar, 2009

I too recieved the "WE ARE TAKING YOUR CDL" letter and have talked to a lawyer and we are seeking others to join the case please email me at swiftpayback@gmail.com so that we can join forces and get what we deserve! (or at least our 3900 back!) This applies to EVERYONE that went to the Swift Academy in Millington TN from 2005-2008.

• Ca
      2nd of Apr, 2009

My husband is in the same situation! He doesn't drive a truck anymore, he doesn't have access to a truck to retest in NJ and he is still paying Swift back! He will be e-mailing you to join!

• Na
      5th of Apr, 2009

I also received the letter (I'm in Michigan and went to the Millington, TN class.)

I haven't driven in over 2 years (closer to 3), and after I received the letter, I had to go back to a regular license, because I don't have the money or the access to a tractor/trailer to take the test.

narmowen@gmail.com

• Le
      1st of May, 2009

i too lost my cdl! the state of kentucky just threw it on us. me and 2 of my best friend went down there at the same time in july 2005 .lucky thing was that kentucky done sent our letters out based on our last names so my last staring with a m and theres starting with r and w i bought them some time. and got them to studying for the test after i failed and both of them had passed the cdl test . but me on the other hand lost my cdl and now i have been fighting for my unemployment now for 2 mounths and cant get it either! i too would like to join in on the lawsuite aginst swift! i just hope we all get our money back!

• De
      12th of May, 2009

my husband and i went to millington .tn academy as well,
    the written was easy but when it came to the skills i had trouble with it, so i had to take a extra week in the field of backing, but i did fine and we started in july 06 2005, we are still employed with swift, yes it was not what i wanted to hear and yes i was angry, and i keep telling my self never again, , but we recieved a letter from the missouri state, and we again was trying to keep our cdl, i was out raged when i found out we had to retake the entire test again, but i also feel if you drive a semi trk, you should have no problem retaking the test, its things you do every day, and thing you should already know, swift has been good to the both of us,
    but i remain neutral because i know some of you have no semi truck to retake your test,
    thats the same boat my son is in, good luck to you all
    deb

• Ro
      15th of May, 2009

I too attened the Swift Driving Academy in Millington, TN in June of 2007. I left Swift shortly after completely my CDL course and abtaining my CDL, I drove for Werner Enterprises for a while and then left due to personal reasons. I recieved a letter from Kenucky DOT stating that I had 30 days to retake the test. They waived the testing fees but I would still have to rent a tractor and trailer (which I have no way to do.) There has been a Class action Law suit already filed by some gradautes. A class-action lawsuit has been filed against a Millington truck-driving school on behalf of 5, 000 graduates purported to have had their licenses revoked.

The federal lawsuit claims the drivers have suffered damages totaling at least $5 million.

Memphis attorney Frank Watson filed the suit March 11 on behalf four drivers from Connecticut and Illinois. But the suit also seeks class-action status.

If anyone knows hows to check to see if were included in the class action suit please let me know.

robert.shanker@hotmail.com

• Le
      15th of May, 2009

if they are only getting us 5million for 5, 000 students that only means we are getting 1 grand back of our money. i been sitting here for 2 mounths with out anytype of income coming in . they WONT LET ME HAVE MY UNEMPLOMENT. so WTF are we suspost to do. 5 million in my books just wont cut it for what swift did. swift should have 2 pay us back for 3 grand each student and the pay us our losse of wages and right now swift would owe me about 6 k.

• Ca
      20th of May, 2009

I had to rush home from TX. to NJ. to pass a retest, on 5-6-09 and then NJ. testers scheduled my road test 6-22-09 so im outta work till mid june. lucky i work for a good comp. now and they havent let me go and are still willing to let me use my truck for road test. You cant drive solo on NJ. permit so im F*%#!

• Lu
      4th of Jun, 2009

I am from Ohio, and I found out about this swift academy thing by being pulled over by a city cop, who told me that my driver's license was suspended for fraudulent cdl, then commenced to giving me a citation and towing my vehicle. and also he kept my driver's license! I called my local dmv and was told that a letter was sent to the address on my license (which i didn't update when i moved), and because of no compliance i have to start all over again from the beginning (written and driving test). I am extremely pissed by this mess with swift!

• Io
      20th of Jul, 2009

I'll continue searching to see if there's a class-action suit already started. I just moved out to TX from unemployment-FL...got the green light from a company, went to change my license today, and there it is...the compassionate state of TN pissing on my attempt to support myself and son because they allowed crooked-a$$ Swift to get away with 'substandard training'. Swift and TN need to go to Hell and stay there.

• Fo
      26th of Jul, 2009

I too have received the dreaded letter. I got 90 days to either re-test or downgrade. I live in Mississippi. I quit SWIFT right after graduation and went through 3 more months of training at Stevens Transport in Dallas. I drove for various companies over a period of about 2yrs. I have over 150, 000 SAFE miles with no accidents. I had planned on going back to trucking this year. But it's not to be. There are only 2 locations in the state to re-take the driving test and both are over 2hrs. away from me. It's impossible for me to borrow a truck and trailer to get to the re-test site. IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

• Im
      18th of Dec, 2009

Any one knows whats going on or any body taking our info, let me know jameshgoff@yahoo.com I'll be there to help them go down for this business fraud!

• Gu
      20th of Dec, 2009

Sounds to me like their are a few of you upset, but if you really want to pursue your careers then you will find a way. Some of the fault that falls because of life has to fall on ourselves, you have to keep up on your licenses no matter where you live or work, if we all relied on the govt we would all be screwed.

• Ms
      30th of Jan, 2010

I have been throw the same stuff to i am driving right now for cvs i have to the end of the month feb to take and pass a skills test i had to pay 50 dollars last week to take the test and 400 hurdrend dollars to rent a truck becuase my comp could not let me use theres and i took it today and fail on my air brake test.I am very upset with swift to for the fact that so many of use took alot of risk to go to school for them and work for them to do this to us something has to be done poeple lifes have been messed up

MY NAME IS MICHAEL SHEEDY
    FROM RHODE ISLAND [SSHEEDY4444@AOL.COM]
    HOPE TO HERE BACK FROM SOMEONE

• De
      27th of Feb, 2010

to whom this may concern,
    once again here we are crying about what swift did to us, it actually was the gov- but anyways
    swift would have taken care of you as far as retaking your test, my husband and i also had to retest, passed with flying colors, do you really want someone on the highways with our families that doesnt know how his/her air brakes function? i know i dont, maybe instead of pouting and being angry study for your test and put your energy into making money the safe way,
    we were also allowed to use our company truck through swift we have been with them now 4 yrs, ( not pay $400 to rent a truck and also, there was no fee to take the test, so it seems to me someone is stretching the truth here, get the FACTS !
    but most of you left swift as soon as you got your training, my husband and i have bought a home and 2 sports cars since working for swift and our monthly bills are paid, we owe only on our home, in this job we drive coast to coast and more than doubled our income, oh and by the way your company is as good to you as you are to the job, foe ones who didnt get that, it means if you are worthless you will be treated that way, another bit of info for some of you truck drivers soap and water is cheap, try using it
    deb

18th of Nov, 2010

have anybody took action on getting a class A lawsuit i graduated from millington tn of Class 570 somebody please get in touch with me where is Frank Watson his office phone is off as well.