Super8 North Bergen, NJwill not refund money

I booked a room for 3 nights through booking.com, for the first (and last) time. Went pretty smooth. Entered my credit card, and got an email confirming the reservation. Unfortunately, I had to cancel a few hours later, a full day before the check-in time of the first day.
I noticed in the email that there was a link to "manage your reservation". I clicked on that link, and went straight to a booking.com site that had a big button "cancel your reservation". I clicked the button, and instantly got a web page that said "your reservation is cancelled". I thought that went awfully smooth. Usually it is a bit of effort to cancel something or get a refund. Well, it only took a few seconds to find out why. I got another email that confirmed the cancellation, and informed me that the cost of cancellation was the ENTIRE price of the three rooms.
Which really begs the question - why even have a procedure to cancel a reservation, if you are not going to refund 1 cent of the money? That is like a store having a refund counter to take back products, but with no plan to ever give back the money. Why would anyone take anything back? Well, I believe it is a scam. They love it when you cancel, so they can rebook the rooms and keep all your money. That is why they make it so easy to cancel, but not advertise the fact they are going to keep all your money.
Booking.com blames the hotel, the hotel blames booking.com. Typical run-around. And I am left going to my credit card company to fix this mess.I have never experienced this from any other hotel I have ever been to. They always said I could cancel, if needed, prior to the date and there would be no charge.
Stay away from these guys

Rd
Mar 11, 2014

Comments

• Sq
      Mar 11, 2014

You only have yourself to blame, "rd1000" You used a travel site to book a SUPER 8 ??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh, brother, they saw you coming hahahahahahaha

•   Mar 12, 2014

Hello,
    I am sorry to hear about this. All information on cancellation penalties can be found on the Booking.com website under the "Conditions" column of the rooms. You can hover your mouse over the question mark in order to pull up the cancellation policy, along with other useful information. Please note that the hotels also go by the date of arrival as opposed to the listed check-in time. However, despite all of this I can try contacting the hotel to see if I can convince them to waive the fees if you would provide your booking number to me.
    Regards,
    Brian
    Booking.com Customer Service Team

Mar 12, 2014

You sure scored when it came to a great career, "Brian" hahahahahahahahahahahaha

•   Mar 19, 2014

When going through a third party site, there are certain conditions you have to follow. They most likely gave you a discounted price on a room Super8 couldn't sell. Having said that, they don't want people purchasing rooms, informing others that there aren't any rooms available. Read the fine print. They possibly turned down others becuase it appeared that that room was booked, so they would be out of money on that room.

Mar 20, 2014

The OP knows all that...he's just not man enough to pay his bills and is looking for a way out. He and his family are known for this kind of stuff, which is why most merchants in his area won't deal with him.