Sundance Vacations / FRAUD

1 264 Highland Park BoulevardWilkesBarre, PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-800-223-0088

I went to a computer show with my husband, and filled out a form for a contest to win a cruise/airline tickets. Of course, we won, I think everyone that enters wins, and got talked into this vacation deal (PLAN WITH TAN.) I followed all of the rules, and was told that EVERY FRIDAY AT 2:00PM, there would be this ginormous list of vacation areas to go to. After they took my check of $1200, the lowest deal that they had, every Friday for a month and a half afterwards I checked on this list, and the same 3 properties came up. Nothing changed, and all of these properties were in the middle of nowhere. I called the company and asked them to find me a place in Ocean City Maryland for the end of July, and they said nothing was available. I then asked about the Jersey shore, South and North Carolina, THE WHOLE ATLANTIC COAST, nothing available. What was available, you ask? In Texas, where there was an oil spill at the time, properties I never heard of that were out in the middle of nowhere. Needless to say, I wound up paying for my own vacation, now I have some bank calling me and harrassing me at all hours of the day and night for the balance of their money. I refuse to give them another dime. Do yourself a favor-- TAN VACATIONS IS A HUGE SCAM--Don't do it. I threw away $1200 that I couldn't afford to do because they make it sound so great, and now I'm being harrassed EVERY DAY for that huge mistake. If anyone has any advice to get myself out of this, I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Ca
      8th of Dec, 2010

I felt like everyone else when I signed up for this vacation deal with Sundance Vacations that it was the opportunity of a lifetime, you get all these vacation deals all over the place for very little money, and when I actually wanted to pursue several spots, all I heard was everything is booked, everywhere I wished to go. I refused to pay them another dime, after being out over $1350, and made a complaint here on this forum. A rep from Sundance saw my complaint, (why they were here on this site is still beyond me) and after several emails and phone calls, got me all of my money back and stopped the harrassing phone calls. I don't agree with their business, I would never fall for something like that again, but if you persist hard enough, there is a way out of it if you feel like you've been scammed like I did. They did work with me at the end to get me out of my mistake.

• Je
      24th of Mar, 2011

I would suggest calling your state's office that deals with contracts and fraud...or at least tell Sundance Vacations that you are going to report them to your state, your BBB and are considering a lawsuit for misreputation of the package you purchased. Also make sure you are on the "Do Not Call" list and tell the company that you are on the list and the next call they make to harass you will be reported so they can be fined. Make a note of this and, if they call again, report them.

5th of Apr, 2011

I have been a member of TAN for 9 years and not only loved every minute of it, but tell anyone who will listen how wonderful it is. If you plan your vacations ahead of time instead of being "last minute" which falls under the category of "lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine" you will love TAN. Every single unit I have stayed in has been clean and nicely decorated. The home office is courteous and ready to answer any questions I have or to resolve any problems. Only once did I have problems with a refrigerator, and someone was there within the hour to fix it. Yes, Sundance Vacations does use their "so called contests" where everyone is a winner, but of course not the "big" winner. I don't like that type of sales, but I have to say, TAN was the best thing that ever happened to our lives. We now go on a shore vacation every summer, and travel to other places during the rest of the year. The people who seem to be the most guilty of not following the rules, always seem to be the loudest. Don't be influenced by the few negatives, but check out the positive reviews as well. I am sure the "complainers" have many problems that are always someone else's fault. Too bad, because you missed out on a wonderful vacation plan.

• Cr
      31st of Oct, 2011

I have thoroughly enjoyed TAN!! We've used it multiple times for Excess Inventory. Been to Outer Banks in April, Ocean City and Bethany Beach in September and with the proper planning I was able to arrange for 9 of us to stay in Maui, Hawaii for a full week. Don't let the negatives that some folks are all too happy to report keep you from looking into TAN. I'm in DE and deal with the Pennsylvania office!! Great people. Courteous service. When I found a hairdryer not operating properly, it was replaced within 4 hours--- plenty of time before our luau reservations!!

31st of Oct, 2011

One of the biggest red flags on each of these scams is the requirement to send the funds via Western Union, which is well known for the impossibility of reclaiming funds. Once it is in WU's hands, it is gone, without recourse. So whenever you are directed to only send funds via Western Union, it is most likeky a scam.

• Kq
      10th of Sep, 2012

So far so good. We have only planned three vacations w TAN and all worked out well. Two were from Hot Weeks or Excess Inventory I forget which and another was planned several months in advance because it was prime shore season and we needed two units each w two bedrooms. All three of these were acceptable. One unit on Cape Cod needs new furniture for seating comfort but the unit was clean. We had one problem which was handled immediately by Tan workers and when the resolution took longer than expected they compensated us for the inconvenience, which was minor. Think about what you are doing before you sign on the dotted line. If this method of planning vacations is not for you don't sign up. Staff have ALWAYS been courteous and most helpful in answering our questions. We hope our association continues to go as well as it has thus far. K&BC

27th of Oct, 2012

Where do you find places on the ocean? Everything I find is in the middle of nowhere. I want to take my family of 8 to Florida and stay on the ocean and never find anything avalible no matter when I try. Have been a member 2 years and not been able to use it yet. I paid 15, 000 for nothing so far. If anyone has sugestions of what I can do let me know.

• Ca
      3rd of Feb, 2013

This comment is just for the people who are posting negativity towards folks who they claim to have no patience with TAN finding them sufficient vacation spots in a timely period; well let me tell you something... I asked to find something for me 6 months ahead of time for one particular weekend, not days or even weeks!!! What kind of reputable company needs to take that long?? And in regards to Cheryl Rose103's comment.. maybe you should find out the facts before you go shooting off your mouth about another person's posting. Goodie for you if you didn't have any problems. I did, and I followed all of the rules, and read all the information before I signed on the dotted line, thank you very much KQ and BC. And if you wish to find out about the horrible cruise that I supposedly "won" just email me and I'll tell you all about it. We went on the cruise, and it was one disaster after another. The part that kills me is that if you people all had such a wonderful time, and feel so great about this company, what the heck are you doing on the message complaint boards in the first place?? Think about that for a moment, you unfortunate people who've been scammed like I was. They are probably all representatives of TAN trying to defend their jobs anyways, so the company doesn't go out of business from all of the law suites they probably encounter from bleeding all of the unsuspecting members dry.

• Jm
      20th of Jul, 2013

By far the worst company I have ever had to work with. We own time share and thought RCI was getting expensive until we started with TAN. I was told they dealt with four star resorts. What four star resorts make you bring your own sheets and bath towels? I have never heard so many reasons as to why they cannot honor a request as I have heard from this company. I am trying to use up the weeks as quickly as possible so I can get out of this nightmare. And I would like to comment on something C & K Willliams posted - why are people who supposedly have had such wonderful experiences with TAN on this complaint board to begin with? I am beginning to wonder if they might not be TAN employess!!!