Suburban Propane / Prices and Service

1 North CarolinaBoone, United States Review updated:

My last propane delivery (2/12/10) was billed at $3.939 per gallon. Average costs of other companies is approximately $2.75 per gallon. Thus, for 200 gallons my charge was almost $240.00 above market price. The local Suburban Propane company told me that their price was competitive and offered no explanation for the difference other than that they believed competing companies were giving me "introductory prices". When I checked this out each company said that was not true. Also, the gauge on my tank does not work and Suburban has been unwilling or unable to fix it for 21 years. As with everyone else, I am a captive customer. Since Suburban "owns" my tank I cannot use another supplier and the cost of digging up and replacing my current tank is more than I can afford. As far as I can tell, there are no regulatory agencies and no recourse. Since I cannot buy at market price I fear that I can be charged whatever Suburban wishes.
Does anyone know a way out of this mess?

Ra

Comments

• Er
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I have a similar situation in NY except that my tank is leased from Suburban but it's above ground. I checked the county average for Propane this afternoon and it was $2.93 -- we just got a fill up of 300 gallons this afternoon and I almost croaked when I saw the bill --- $5.57/gallon! When it was $4.79 right before Xmas, I called and complained -- they lowered it to $3.49 and I requested a check back which they complied with. However, like you, they cannot give an adequate answer as to why they are so much higher above competitors --- I got the whole song and dance about them being available 24/7/365 and having highly trained drivers and technicians === they also pulled that same crap w/ me stating that the other companies must be giving me wrong quotes -- but I know EXACTLY what to ask these other companies and I think the obvious option is to have them come take their tank and I will go with someone else altogether!

• Je
      11th of Aug, 2010

It does not matter if the tank is under ground, leave it there. Get another supplier to rent you their tank and have it above ground. The new supplier doesn't even have to know! But even if they do so what?
    Unhook the plumbing from the underground tank to the house and the new supplier can run another pipe to the house from the new tank.
    The problem might be where the hook up is, is it also underground? If it is then hire someone to do some digging. Get rid of Suburban they are super crooks.
    I had them and got rid of them, the woman kept telling me, oh yes $4.49 a gallon is a good price. Well it is not, now I get it for $1.85 a gallon, yes much better.