Sprint / iphone 5s locked to sprint

1 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I purchased few months ago from ebay a new IPhone 5s locked to Sprint US. Phone was never activated on Sprint network. Based on Apple DB information the phone was a replacement.
I tried to contact Sprint many times to unlock the phone to be used in Canada. It is like talking to the walls, same excuse that the phone must be activated in their network in order to be unlocked. I asked them to provide me an option how to do that in Canada where there is no Sprint wireless. Same answer, they can't. Same answer from Apple. My frustration is that all this locking business is just a dirty game between those carriers and Apple. It is a shame for both those 2 companies to treat people like they do. If those phones are considered "illegal" by Apple and Sprint why are not blacklisted so people will not buy it. Those are not cheap phones.
Apple should be also regulated by the government to stop all this locking nonsense. In fact Apple control all the unlocking in their DB.
I regret every day I purchased an iPhone, such an hassle compare with an Android phone.
Cris