Spirit Airlines / terrible customer service!

1 1000 Industrial Way N.Toms River, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 732-281-3213

Recently, I purchased a round trip flight from FLL to ISP. The price was a great deal; however, when the party arrive to catch the flight, they were told that the flight was full and that Spirit would have to bump them to another flight. The flight that was booked was to leave at 7:05AM and the next available flight was at 4:00PM - WHAT AN INCONVENIENCE! On top of that, they charged our company an extra $130 for their mistake, which we tried to dispute but the Spirit representative said she had no choice. Since this all took place, I have been trying to reach Spirit Airlines for three days on their 1-800 # listed on the website and what do I find, to my surprise, I am not able to get through. I have tried many times during the day and the phone rings busy. I then called the airport directly and they said they could not get through to anyone at Spirit.

I will never use Spirit again. Their customer service is absolutely horrible!

Comments

• Le
      5th of Jul, 2007
    Spirit Airlines - Horrible customer service!

Spirit Airlines, by far, has the absolute worst customer service department I have ever dealt with. I had a problem with the way one of their new policies was introduced. I have talked to several other people who had the same problem with the policy so I know it wasn't just me. Not only did I have to wait over one hour on a non-toll free line for a customer service rep, when I finally got through I was basically read a script from the rep in answer to my question and then hung up on. Also, in my search I could not find any type of e-mail address. They are so unaccessible it's pathetic. Needless to say, I will NEVER fly Spirit Airlines again. And I am a frequent flier with their airline so imagine how they treat first timers! I'm not quite sure how they stay in business and now that they are charging extra for luggage, hopefully they will not be for long. They should at least be accommodating if they are going to take basic services away!

• Li
      8th of Aug, 2007

Okay we had several people fly on this horrible airline and here is all that occurred.

1. two of the folks had their flight canceled the day they flew (Sat.) and were told they either left in 3 hours or waited until Tuesday and missed their trip to Machu Picchu.

2. We arrived and had no luggage - called everyday and everyday told it arrived - made long trips to the airport (had a driver check) and bags NEVER arrived. We had about 40 people on our flight who did not get bags and they will not deliver them. We also met several people in the airport who were there to pick their bags up that arrived from 7-10 days ago.

3. Day we were leaving told it arrived got there early and it did not.

4. On the way home none of us could make the connecting flight with the fares they sold use just over $500 each so not free. They told us we would be fine and then when we landed there was not enough time to check our bags after going to customs because the lines were over 3 hours long. I group that flew in on Thursday got home instead of at 8 am at 6 pm. The second group who arrived on Sunday were told they could not get home until Tuesday so they had to drive home.

Now the missing bag has required 22 phone calls, a form was finally sent on 7/19. A claim was made with the Better Business Bureau on 7/20 but of course no one has called as no one cares.

I fly about 25,000-50,000 miles a year depending on the year for the past 15 years. The entire flight was a nightmare and my family will never fly again (oh by the way they actually charged us $10 for the bag that never arrived and will not refund that amount).

Spirit has no business being in business.

On a happy note we stayed the Hotel Delfines which we absolutely loved and enjoyed every minute of our time in Peru that did not involve dealing with this airline.

PART II

Okay it gets even better - I got a phone call last night at 11 pm and they found my bag supposedly - I could come to the airport this morning and pick it up. I had to go anyway and when I got there it was not there.

Later in the day I got a phone call that some lady in a suit (me) came to pick up my bag and was all mad it was not there when indeed it was and it would be delivered to my home.

Well it is amazing it was delivered to my home but no wonder I did not know it - it was not our bag. Someone had written our name and address on a bag tag and put it on a bag that was NOT ours - it was a different brand of luggage and when I opened it to make sure that they did not put our stuff in a different bag it was filled with expense items that obvious belonged to someone else. If you are missing a nice watch and some great men's polo shirts and new tennis shoes then your bag is in Orlando. The delivery guy got mad that I would not sign as it was not my bag - Also called the insurance agency immediately as my guess is this will be used by Spirit as another scam to say they found our bag and refused it - It amazed me that someone else would put a bag tag with our name, address and phone number on a bag - BEWARE - We are worried they will use this to not pay a claim.

Scarey too that they let bags fly with anybody's names and stuff - that may not even be passengers on their airlines - plan to report it to the National Transportation and Safety Board - Any other suggestions as we are REALLY not happy.

However, the venting online has helped some - thanks for reading and fly anything but spirit.

• Je
      17th of Aug, 2007

It all started Tues Aug 14 on a flight to Orlando from Ft Lauderdale
    what was to be a half hour turned out to be a three hour nightmare
    There was a horrible noise coming from under the plane, as we continued down the runway. When the stewardess was asked what that noise was she replied what noise. She was making believed she couldn't hear anything
    Just we were asking her and her replying the captain's voice came over the speaker (only to say he was turning back) Until the maintenance crew looked over the airplane.

Then after the stewardess was really rude to a spanish woman because she the confided in my husband that she couldn't understand a thing this woman was saying she turned her butt to her face.

And started to tell us what was going which really wasn't much or at least she thought so. After three hours later we ended up leaving on the plane.

Did I mention how safe I felt (Not safe at all). Then on the way back it was just as bad a half hour flight ended up being another three and a half hours. I bought the tickets on line from one of their specials they were 29.00 each way.

Now I believe that old saying ( YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ). I will never take another flight on SPIRIT AIRLINES).

PS I guess when your flight is suppose to take off and there isn't anyone at the ticket counter that was the last straw they didn't even have the guts to have someone there to answer questions. That is a real bad sign.

I deal with the public all the time and that wasn't any kind of customer service.

• Ne
      11th of Aug, 2008

I CALLED THE SPIRIT AILINES ON 08/08/08 ON SATURDAY AT 1530.THE AGENT REFUSED TO LET ME SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR .HE CURSED ME OUT, THEN HUNG THE PHONE ON ME.THEN ON08/11/08.THE AGENT BY THE NAME MICHEAL REFUSED TO LET ME SPEAK TO A SUPERVISOR, IT TOOK ABOUT 30 MINS FOR TO LET ME SPEAK TO A SUPERVIOR.MY PROBLEM IS THAT I PAID FOR 2BAGS ON LINE.THEN WHEN I GOT TO FLL THE AGENT STATED THAT WE HAD TO PAY FOR 2 BAGS $40.00 THE CONFERMATION # IS B3YWJS