Sony Ericsson/Dubai Duty Free / Product malfunction/incompetent service

1 Kuwait Review updated:

I bought a Sony ericsson P1i in Dubai Duty Free late September 07. A month later, in Kuwait where I work, the phone turned itself off. When I turned the unit back on it went in a loop of turning on, showing the SE logo, displaying the progress bar as if to complete the boot, and then turning itself off - it has been like that since.

I contacted the service center(Fono) in Dubai that was on the warranty. I was told that they cannot honor the warranty and that I should contact the place where I bought the unit.

I contacted the SE service center in Kuwait (Barrak) where they looked at it for a couple of hours then told me "to bring it back to dubai."

I went back to Dubai in December, 07 and contacted the Customer Service of the Dubai Airport Duty Free Shop - where I bought the unit. I showed the person at the counter the problem (booting on and off) - I was told that they will arrange for the unit to be sent to their service center. I went back to Kuwait.

In January, 2008, the Duty Free emailed to inform me that they couldn't do anything with the unit and attached to the email was a report from the service center saying that the motherboard of the unit is bent; and that the unit has been misused - and that I should collect the unit.

How could I have misused a brand new phone for its motherboard to bend? So I wrote back in protest.

They said that the SE service center in Kuwait might be responsible - and that I should have contacted the Duty Free first. But the warranty said that I shoud contact Fono - which I did. Who contacts the retailer for repair anyway?

A lot of pages of email later, I went back to Dubai in March and collected the unit.

So now, I have a Sony Ericsson P1i that's been used for only a month, that boots on and off and still under warranty (until Sept.2008). I have long since bought a Motorola Z6.

Lessons learned:

Do not buy a phone in Dubai Duty Free Shop. If I had gone home to Australia, it meant that I had to go back to Dubai to have it repaired. Also, what is the sense of issuing me a warranty card that was inaccurate? I will never shop there again.

Sony Ericsson's customer care service is appalling. The service centers in the Gulf are incompetent. I have two service centers pointing fingers at each other. By the way, I bought my first Sony ericsson phone in 2003, a T610. The same thing happened (booting on and off) but there was no problem fixing it in Australia. But because of this bad P1i experience, I will not buy another Sony ericsson phone again.

I am thinking of hiring a lawyer to actually sue. What do you think? If there's anyone who could help please contact me.

Comments

• Ll
      17th of Jul, 2008

Hi
    I also have similar story. I was working in Qatar, one time when I went to India through Dubai, and bought one Sony Ericsson mobile phone from Dubai duty free. After holidays back in Qatar I think after two months phone not working properly (while using functions software hang including power switch not working then need to remove battery to switch off.) I went to Sony outlet in Qatar. They said there is problem with that model and Sony recall all phones and replacing with cheaper model. I said why I loose money to change phones this is not my problem. (I think I bought phone for 80 $ and they offer 60 $ for replacement) I didn’t agree for that offer and send email to all Sony customer care in world. After one week Sony outlet in Qatar contact me and give me higher model for my phone. That was the first and last time I bought phone from Dubai duty free.

• De
      22nd of Jul, 2008

Hi
    I also have similar story. I was working in Qatar, on dated 16-04-2008 I bought one Sony Ericsson mobile phone w910i from India. After holidays back in Qatar but tomorrow afternoon I do this phone switch off after some time when on my mobile then on screen shown sony ericsson then off ie not switch on so softwear is tatal corrupted but soft wear CD is not my self what can I do please solved my problem.